• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice Trial By Fire - OOC

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
This allows you to flurry, not combo. A flurry is two seperate actions in a single turn. Usually you cannot do both a physical attack and a "social attack" like attempting to threaten your opponent in the same turn, since both are considered "attack" actions. SVN lets you do both, which is a primary strength of the MA. Still the performance action and the martial arts action are two different ones.

Or maybe not. Since it doesnt specifically say charms. Just actions. But assumed charms counted as such.

Some charms take a full action. You just cannot use charms of two different abilities on a single action. Otherwise comboing performance charms and presence charms, or martial arts and melee would also be possible.

This allows you to flurry, not combo. A flurry is two seperate actions in a single turn. Usually you cannot do both a physical attack and a "social attack" like attempting to threaten your opponent in the same turn, since both are considered "attack" actions. SVN lets you do both, which is a primary strength of the MA. Still the performance action and the martial arts action are two different ones.
Well actually. Now that you say it like that.

Voice of the Night Bird charm just allows ACCESS to kiai shouts. And I am not using the charm every time I use it.

So wouldn't it then be like using an attack and a charm at the same time?

Hmm. I guess that's actually right. Since it just gives access to the attack as a new kind of weapon you might be able to pull that trick off if you didn't use any charms to boost the attack, even your martial arts exellency.

Not quite sure though. Using a performance charm to roll Martial Arts. Still, if you don't combo the performance charm with anything other than other performance charms, that could work.

Hmm. I guess that's actually right. Since it just gives access to the attack as a new kind of weapon you might be able to pull that trick off if you didn't use any charms to boost the attack, even your martial arts exellency.
I could work with limitations like that pretty easily. Since it let's me be support while throwing a few light attacks the enemies way every now and then.

Do Excellencies count as charms then?

Sherwood Sherwood
How would you rule on this matter, if it is even possible in the first place?

Exellencies do count as charms. And the dice they give counts towards your charm dice cap.

And as for being able to support and attack at the same time, you would already be able to do that. You can make a flurry of two actions. Using first a martial arts with a -2 penalty, use all the martial arts charms you want on the attack, and then a social action with a -3 penalty where you can use performance charms. That is what Voice of the Night Bird allows.

HumanPlus is right. You can definitely flurry a Kiai and a performance action. You can use any Charms you like to boost either action of the flurry, but only one ability's Charms for each action in the flurry. So if you Kiai you can boost it with either MA or Performance Charms, but not both. If the second action is a Performance action, you can boost that one with either Performance Charms or MA Charms. Being separate actions, Charms affecting them are considered separately.

Incidentally, you can't take a specialty of Nightingale Style for Martial Arts (Nightingale Style), unless Sherwood gave you special permission. Each Martial Arts skill is specific to its style, and you buy dots in that style. That specialty would just always apply, so it's just a sixth dot of MA (NS) :P Martial Arts is the one special snowflake skill that lets you use Charms from different abilities (other MA styles) together on the same action, so they make you pay the tax to buy dots of it in multiple 'skills', like Craft.

You could have a specialty like, "While performing battle hymns" or something.

Oh, and while we're at it jaydude jaydude I think you accidentally wrote down your two -0 HLs from Ox Body as -1 HLs. Totally wrong because I can't read and you have Stamina 3. Carry on. I'll see myself out.

Last edited:
I think I'm getting it.

Well would not Voice of Night bird also allow the no penalties to flurrying kiai with performance influence actions?

As well, are permenant charms counted any different since they are. Well. Permenant. And more like passive buffs than actions?

Random Word Random Word
As for the specialty. I did buy the the 5 dots for that specific MA. And I did get an okay from Sherwood about buying that specialty. But I can always change it, if he likes, with the rules clearing up.

Also! Feel free to point out any mistakes or stupidities in my char sheet. In relatively new to the whole exalted thing, so I'm sure I've missed a few things. I'm always grateful for constructive criticism.

I do know that there are a handful of Charms that specifically allow themselves to be combed with Charm of other trees; Thunderbolt Attack Prana is one that comes to mind that does that.

With the MA style, you can use Performance Charms to boost the effectiveness, but it will require you to flurry the actions and will result multiple action penalties.

Just a note to everyone, I am still pretty new to the 3e system for Exalted, so I welcome feedback in cases like this to be able to assist everyone in having a good time with the game.

If I was a lesser bard, I would ask to see if I could convince the Captain to pay me for the journey.

D. Rex D. Rex Yes, it would definitely remove all penalties for flurrying a Kiai with a performance based influence action. You can taunt, charm, insult, and inspire to your heart's content while smashing things with music, so long as you're singing about the same subject.

Which Permanent Charm are you thinking of? Sherwood is totally right that if the Charm says it works with any ability, like Thunderbolt Attack Prana, or Harmonious Presence Meditation, then you can use it with Charms from other abilities in modifying a roll with said other ability. Incidentally, HPM has this hilarious (to me) text: "For five motes, this Charm grants three bonus dice to all forms of social influence from all Abilities except Stealth." Which immediately prompted me to imagine what Stealth-based social influence looks like, and how it implies literally every other ability can be used for social influence in some capacity.

D. Rex D. Rex Yes, it would definitely remove all penalties for flurrying a Kiai with a performance based influence action. You can taunt, charm, insult, and inspire to your heart's content while smashing things with music, so long as you're singing about the same subject.

Which Permanent Charm are you thinking of? Sherwood is totally right that if the Charm says it works with any ability, like Thunderbolt Attack Prana, or Harmonious Presence Meditation, then you can use it with Charms from other abilities in modifying a roll with said other ability. Incidentally, HPM has this hilarious (to me) text: "For five motes, this Charm grants three bonus dice to all forms of social influence from all Abilities except Stealth." Which immediately prompted me to imagine what Stealth-based social influence looks like, and how it implies literally every other ability can be used for social influence in some capacity.
Voice of the Night Bird was the permenant Charm I was refering to.

And I would think songs that grant buffs would count as influencing inspiration, no?

Lol with a stealth social influence I kind of picture someone hiding in the bushes trying to help their buddy on a date by playing charades to get their buddy to say the right thing.

Random Word Random Word
Master Thespian style was funny like that to me too. Since if entered a scene with a stunt suitable of the role I'm trying to act then I can activate it reflexively instead of preparing.

Which the first thing I thought of was trying to be stealthy but falling from the ceiling style and trying to pass myself off to the guards as a building inspector and that there is clearly problems with the structural integrity of the place.

Songs that grant buffs, sadly, do not count as Performance based influence actions (Unless the Charm says they do). A social influence action must be one of Threaten, Persuade, Inspire, Instill, or Bargain. Any Charm that modifies or creates one of those actions is valid, but if it creates a completely different kind of action it does not apply.

Ah well. No biggy there if I take a flurry penalty. Depending on how the order works.

If the attack comes first, smaller penalty. And song isnt effected because I dont roll dice.

But if song comes first. Then I the attack has the larger penalty.

But that still isn't all that bad since the attacks have a +4 or +3 accuracy on the weapon.

Sorry if I seem to be trying to railroad you guys a bit. I am trying to avoid the headaches of integrating the party but still have the fun of the character interactions without me hand waving the meeting.

Sorry if I seem to be trying to railroad you guys a bit. I am trying to avoid the headaches of integrating the party but still have the fun of the character interactions without me hand waving the meeting.
I'm all good with some railroading! Doesnt bother me at all. I'm sure we will need some wrangling anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back