• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

The UnEarthing (Exalted 2ed)

Which Gaming Style You Like Best (need core book to answer)

• Vanilla Exalted

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • And I'll Form the Head

• Outlander

• Project: Exalt

• Invasion

• The Solar Who Came In From the Cold

• Sorcery and Sorcery

• Walk the Earth

• Total voters
Delete, delete, delete......D...E..L..E..T..E..!!! (Death Note, Reference)

Last edited by a moderator:
  1. What would be the major reason why you like playing tabletop RPGs? ...Never did one before...?
  2. When you play a game do you often like asking the Referee to add new rules or abilities in the game? If I think it's necessary...or wanted for something new.
  3. Horror, adventure, mystery, romance, and comedy. Please place these in order from favorite to least liked. Adventure, Mystery, Horror, Comedy, Fantasy, all of these are loved in a tie for number one. Romance is hated with a fiery passion *personal reasons)
  4. Do you think that in a game players should only encounter situations they can handle? Example all opponents should be scaled at levels the players can defeat? rather yes or no, why do you feel that way? No, while most fights should be scaled. Why not propose a challenge, and in the face of impossible odds wouldn't that strive a reason to gain more power? (Provided utter annihilation doesn't follow) Would also help with teamwork and situational/environmental awareness.
  5. Imagine you are making a character for a fantasy game. The system is point based, when you make your character do you make your choices with the rules in mind or with the concept of your character in mind? Please elaborate a little. Again...never did tabletop but I make my characters based on concept. I balance accordingly to the rules, settings, etc.
    The best answers I can give with the limited information I have ^^.

1. What would be the major reason why you like playing tabletop RPGs

-I enjoy the collective storytelling that the players and GM produce together. I like to see how worlds come into shape and how actions influence them.

2. When you play a game do you often like asking the Referee to add new rules or abilities in the game

-I'm rather cut and dry, I like using what a system has and only really ask when a situation doesn't have a rule that already applies.

3. Horror, adventure, mystery, romance, and comedy. Please place these in order from favorite to least liked

-Adventure, mystery, horror, romance, comedy.

4. Do you think that in a game players should only encounter situations they can handle? Example all opponents should be scaled at levels the players can defeat? rather yes or no, why do you feel that way?

-Sometimes, players face things beyond them. Sometimes you have to run away or die horribly. This can lead to moments of heroic sacrifice should one choose to to buy time for others. It can also be a momoent of great triumph if they all stand and fight, managing to succeed. Suppose it depends on the situation and needs of the story.

5. Imagine you are making a character for a fantasy game. The system is point based, when you make your character do you make your choices with the rules in mind or with the concept of your character in mind? Please elaborate a little.

-I tend to build around concept over how to best optimize. I do try to make the character fit correctly within a rule set so I do try to understand them well enough to make sure my concept is workable.

Just to clarify, can we use Charms or spells from sources other than the corebook (so long as they're not from IM or Errata)? E.g. Scroll of the Monk or the Books of Sorcery?

Well, my character is a priest, but unlike what you might expect, she's a Night Caste, not a Zenith or Eclipse Caste. She's based on the komusō, the flute-playing monks from Edo-period Japan who hid their faces under reed hoods to symbolize the absence of the ego...though sometimes for other reasons. The order was abolished after the Meiji Restoration because so many ninjas and ronin were using the anonymity of the hood to sneak around unobserved...plus, many komusō had actually been agents of the Shogunate. (There are some short flute pieces which are said to have been used by one priest greeting another -- if the second didn't respond correctly, the first knew he was dealing with an imposter!)

She serves at a temple dedicated to Saturn, which might even be the Temple of the Violet Lotus described in Scroll of the Monk. She came there as a fugitive on the run from the Wyld Hunt: born a member of House Iselsei, she hides her face partly out of shame for something terrible that happened during her Exaltation, and partly because she knows her "dying" House has spies everywhere. Her mentor, old Crow, is a Sidereal, but she may be completely unaware of this fact. He secretly grooms her to spy on the machinations of the Deathlords.

Paranoid about revealing her identity, she prefers to deal with others through a multitude of masks and illusions. She walks the roads of the Scavenger Lands, burying the dead and laying ghosts to rest. She hopes that if she helps others find their peace, she may someday find it for herself.

Treqe eh? And a circle reincarnated from parts of two ancient rival circles. Possibilities... Hm. How about a fairly traditional character:

Little Acorn was the oldest son, the first-born child of a pair of humble farmers living in Fordstone, a small village in a nameless Satrapy. His auspicious name proved true as he grew; at but sixteen years of age, he was as tall as a full-grown man and as strong as anyone in the village. He was outgoing and cheerful, as loyal and dutiful as he was big and strong, willful yet wise beyond his years. His roots running deep, Little Acorn's future seemed certain - to settle down with some local girl and eventually take over his family's farm. But the future is not so easily foretold by man, nor is the world given to care about the thoughts and plans of mortals - and over some things, even Destiny itself holds no sway.

Little Acorn's life changed when word began to spread, about a bandit king approaching; Bloodfist, a half-demon said to tower head and shoulders above any mortal man, strong enough to kill an ox barehanded, wielding a daiklave fashioned from the forbidden gold of the Anathema. But one man, no matter how fearsome, does not a king make; he was followed by his band of marauders, over a hundred strong, each and every one of them a remorseless killer. They came from the distant Riverlands, a pillaging warband roaming as they pleased, raping, murdering and looting at will - some even whispered that they enslaved whole villages, selling them off to unscrupulous Guild merchants. No fool, Bloodfist steered clear of any town big enough to threaten them, choosing instead to demand tribute from smaller towns lest they be put to the torch - and after the fates of Tre-Kulla and Nytorg, none doubted his words.

Fear and gloom spread like a disease, the adults wringing their hands in worry, desperately praying to whatever gods would answer - but the spirits of towns and fields were no match for a hundred men led by a half-demon rumoured to have slain a newly exalted Dragon Blooded hero, the elementals of forests and weather uncaring about anything save their own domains, and the mightier gods did not seem inclined to answer the prayers of humble villagers. The only hope remaining was that the Imperial tax collectors would come early or a couple of adventuring Dynasts - but that was a fools hope at best, it was at least a season and a half before the tax was due, and it had been well over two decades since the last time one of the Princes of the Earth had passed through. And everyone knew this, hence the growing despair.

Little Acorn did not share this sentiment, however. He looked around him, and saw that in Fordstone alone lived almost two hundred people, at least twenty of whom were able-bodied young men and women. Within half a days journey were at least fifty other villages, as well as the town of Half-Stone, each of which could put up at least that many people. He might not have known off the top of his head how many that made - math not being a big concern for a farmer - but he was fairly sure it was a lot more than a hundred. And as for weapons, that was easy enough; reattach a knife or scythe-blade to a pole and you have a spear or glaive. Rare was the youngster who didn't know how to wield a sling, and quite a few hunters had simple bows. Armour was harder, and there wouldn't be much time to train - but surely, it would be better to fight and die together than to let the monster continue to roam unchecked?

The adults - older and wiser - did not agree, preferring to send a messenger to the Satrap and hope for the best. Uncaring for their nay-saying, and with the impetuousness of youth, Little Acorn set out with his friends to spread the word. Traveling from village to village, in but two days they had gathered a host of over four hundred young men and women; armed with improvised weapons or rusty relics, armoured with little more than the righteousness of their cause, they set out to meet the bandit king.

Barely day into their journey, they saw the smoke rising from a burning village. Steeling themselves, they marched on, and by some small fortune, they caught the bandits by surprised, too busy enjoying the fruits of their work. Outraged, Little Acorn led the charge, and the bandits put up a feeble resistance at first. Young men and women, toughened by hard work and emboldened by the righteousness of their cause, struck the bandits like a tidal wave crashing over the shore. But just like the shore, the greater experience and better armament of the bandits soon asserted itself against the untrained and poorly equipped villagers. And when Bloodfist entered the fight, the tide completely turned. With every swing of his giant blade another of Little Acorn's companions fell, the half-demon laughing uproariously at the slaughter.

Little Acorn saw this, and realised that he should be afraid, but all he could feel was sorrow for the fallen, shame for his part in their deaths, and rage at those whose selfishness and cruelty had stolen their lives away. In particular, he felt rage and disgust toward the half-demon who was even now bellowing a challenge towards the villagers fleeing before him, the golden blade in his hand dripping with the gore of a dozen innocent lives.

Little Acorn answered his call.

The battle ground to an unnatural halt around the two of them; on one side, the grinning, blood-soaked villain and his cursed weapon, on the other, the broad-shouldered, battered youth, armed with a sword he had taken from a fallen bandit after his improvised spear had broken. It was a battle with a foregone conclusion, and the crowd could only watch - the bandits with murderous glee, the villagers with waning hope and growing dread - as the two clashed.

It was one-sided, it was brutal, and from the very first exchange it was clear who was going to be the victor. The other duellist fought back with all he had, with desperate skill and every trick he could think of, but it was pointless, for his enemy was unstoppable, his blade moving with unnatural speed, his body surrounded by the faint glow of unholy power. Realising the futility of his struggle, he called out for his companions to aid him, to fight back - but they too had lost their will to fight, realising that defeat was inevitable, that they stood no chance against the demon they faced.

Sinking to his knees, surrendering his weapon, the loser began to plead with his assailant, begging him to spare his life, pledging to follow and serve him until the end of Creation if he would but spare him. Rage and disgust fought across the winner's face, but ultimately settled into grim determination as he accepted, his words echoing like thunder, the sigil of damnation flaring upon his brow. The newly-bound servant could only shudder in fear as he felt the gaze of Heaven weighing down upon him, ready to judge and punish should he trespass against his oath.

It was only as he looked up and realised that all of the bandits had fallen to their knees and thrown away their weapons that Little Acorn realised that he was the source of the light, a mighty oak reaching into the sky, all of the world sheltered beneath its branches. His confusion was not lessened when he turned to his friends and they shied away, fear and confusion in their expression as someone hissed out; "Deceiver!"

It took quite some time to sort out the resulting confusion, most of which was spent convincing those who did not know him personally that he was not some demon come to lead them astray. The issue with the surviving bandits - almost half of them - and the former bandit king himself did not help. Ultimately, Little Acorn realised that he could not stay. Even if his family believed him, not everyone of their neighbours would. And even if they did, his presence would only bring them further grief. Even as his own heart broke, he decided to leave, but not before bidding everyone farewell and making a solemn oath to return, once he had proven himself a Hero, one which not even the Immaculate Philosophy could deny. And so he went, accompanied by a handful of friends, half a hundred former bandits and their half-demon king.

Not quite as conventional as I intended, but wow that was a trip to write. I was uncertain about Caste, but then I had an idea, rewrote the end of the fight. Eclipse Oaths, boo-yah.

@Phyre ... Ah, I probably should have made it clearer, but it was supposed to be the demon begging for mercy, pledging itself to my character. I was going for a bit of bait-and-switch, playing up how terrible even a rookie Solar can be, but I guess I failed the switch part - reread it though, I never said who was who. Also, I guess I messed up the Exaltation, but I never actually said when he Exalted - in fact, it works just as well if he Exalted off-screen, thinking the vision some sort of dream, and simply never burned enough motes for his banner to flare until that fateful day.

I'll rewrite it to clear it up a bit.

@Phyre I've already adjusted the story, but further adjustments can be added as necessary. I was actually thinking that he Exalted before the whole battle, possibly before gathering the army.

Unlike my character, I'm big on numbers, and I actually did think it through before slapping them together. Half a day's march is 15 miles, convert to area that's about 700 square miles; if 1/4 of that is populated at levels comparable to medieval Germany (about 60 people per square mile), we're talking about 10,000 people. One in twenty five is pretty hard to muster on a long-term basis, but if it's just a few days, it shouldn't be that much trouble.

Also, good thing about the IC/OOC separation - in-game meta is bad for the immersion.

While my favorite class are the Lunars, I have several great backgrounds for a Solar that I'm just aching to pull out and play. Let me answer your five questions here, and I can post some details for you.

• What would be the major reason why you like playing tabletop RPGs?

• When you play a game do you often like asking the Referee to add new rules or abilities in the game?

• Horror, adventure, mystery, romance, and comedy. Please place these in order from favorite to least liked

• Do you think that in a game players should only encounter situations they can handle? Example all opponents should be scaled at levels theplayers can defeat? rather yes or no, why do you feel that way?

• Imagine you are making a character for a fantasy game. The system is point based, when you make your character do you make your choices with the rules in mind or with the concept of your character in mind? Please elaborate a little.

1. I enjoy the interaction with friends that share similar interests with me. I've always been one to march to a different drummer, but when I game, it brings me closer to the small clique of people I hang out with.

2. Most of the time I just go with the rules as written. However, that being said, there are times in some games that there is an occasion that I would like to see a rules tweak to cover a particular issue.

3. Adventure, mystery, comedy, romance, horror.

4. A person grows through adversity, so having a foe that they cannot defeat right away is a great goal-setting device.

5. Depending on the character, I have done both. Building from a well defined concept is good in the fact that you know what you want. Building with the rules in mind helps out, too. Having a good idea of what you want your character to be able to do later on and having stats and skills lined up for that in advance of play saves time that you don't have to worry about a prerequisite holding you back from your finished product.

The character I am hoping to play is a blind martial artist, inspired by the movie House of Flying Daggers. Using the Celestial Martial Art style Dreaming Pearl Courtesan Form for my combat technique, and with some Perception Charms to offset the blindness.

Here is the background I'd like to use:

You may not believe it, but Renna was a very lucky girl. Being born blind in another family, she may have been left out in the wilderness for nature to finish off. But, her family was one of the South's more powerful merchant houses, and they had the money to hire the nurses needed to care for the poor girl. Despite her handicap, Renna quickly grew into a lovely young woman. With her keen hearing and exceptional sense of balance, she was able to maneuver around her home with ease, and with the aid of her teachers, she became quite the skilled dancer, using her exceptional grace to amaze the people that had the pleasure of seeing her perform. Under the watchful eyes of her guides, Renna was frequently seen out and about the streets of Gem, and overall, was quite content with her lot in life.

One spring day, Renna took the opportunity to go and visit family located far south. Traveling with a group of trusted companions, her easy going life was rudely interrupted by a raiding party of Fae, out looking for easy prey. The guards of the little caravan fought for their lives with vigor, but were soon overwhelmed by the ferocity of the Fae. Renna was soon rounded up with her mother, her sister, and the three ladies in waiting that were traveling with the family. The six women huddled together, crying, wondering what was to happen to them. Finally, an idea came to Renna, a wildly crazy idea that, if it worked, might just be the ticket to freedom for her and her family.

Still under the watchful eyes of the guards, Renna made the comment, “I thought that the Cataphractoi were supposed to be graceful warriors, not a bunch of clumsy, elephant footed louts!” Her reward was a hand across the face. She spits out a mouthful of blood and laughs. “I guess that the truth hurts, huh?” She doesn’t wince as she hears the arm being pulled back for another blow, but the goblin’s had is stopped by his master. With a voice of smooth silken dreams, he asks her, “What would you know of graceful, little blind girl?” “I know enough to say that you sound more like a wounded yeddim loping around in circles instead of a skilled dancer. Hell, I bet that even I can dance better than you can!” A dangerous silence greeted the shocking challenge. The warrior-prince reached out with his mailed hand and softly stroked her face. “A bold statement from a little blind girl. You speak of bets? What could you possibly offer me that I don’t already have in my hand?” Renna smiles. “I know of your kind. You ravage those that you take. What is better for you? A captive, or a willing servant? I make you this deal. I bet that I can out dance you, right here right now, in front of all your followers. If I do, you release my family. If I don’t, I will be yours, freely given to be used as you see fit.” Renna’s mother cries out in dismay, but she is not to be swayed from her path. “So who would be the judge of this contest? You and yours, little blind girl?” “No need. Can your followers be trusted to speak the truth of what they see? Who can know true beauty better than the Fae?” Renna holds her breath in anticipation. Finally, the Cataphractoi nods in acceptance. “Very well. I agree! If nothing else, you will provide some much needed diversion for my weary men.”

She danced. But it was so much more. Renna was able to reach levels of skill that she had never known before. Moving to the beat of the drum, she flowed from one position to another, reaching deep inside her for inspiration. Finally, Renna collapses on the ground, completely spent, gasping for breath in the heat. Over the sound of her beating heart, she can hear the sounds of the goblin horde roaring their approval. She couldn’t believe her ears! She had won against impossible odds. Her family would be safe.

The leader of the band claps his hands together and the crowd fall silent. “Well done! I have never seen the like, even from our best performers! You will make a fine addition to the court of the Desert Queen!” Renna looks up from where she has fallen. “I won, and you agreed to let us go!” “No, I agreed to let your family go, not you. Also, stunning as it may seem to you, you didn't win. But, I must admit, for a mortal, you do show some promise, and I like your style for having the courage to stand up to us. You will make a fine pet indeed. It is time to go.”

The next several years were ones of humiliation and sorrow. Renna was kept prisoner, in the same way a parakeet was kept in a gilded cage, forced to perform for the court that held her captive. But she never gave up in her efforts to escape. Time and time again, she was tracked down and hauled back to the Fae court for her punishment. Finally, Renna’s deliverance was at hand.

A question: are you going to allow Merits and Flaws? How about positive mutations? What I'm hoping for is some Merit to help increase my hearing and the Flaw of Blind.

Ok. I have no problem with Mentor at 1 or 2. Hopefully, you'll like my backstory.

Phyre said:
I am in the process of reading your character's history proposal (not done yet, stopped to post this). I am assuming that you read the character creation limitation/ restrictions before coming up with the concept.
To learn a Celestial Martial arts outside of the ones in the Exalted Core book will require a mentor ( rating 1 if the person is about your power level or 2 if they are more powerful) that knows this martial arts and can teach it as well. As long as all requirements are met I have no problem with your concept.... now back to reading your history draft.

Okay I just finish reading your story. I liked it (but it is not surprise as I have been liking how you write before you posted this character's history). But, there is a few problems the first is your character's location.

• A player has already came up with an idea to place their character option outside of where most of the characters (Scavenger Lands or East) the only other option that was still available was the south. Could you change the locations of your story?
  • Fair Folk Cataphractoi average Dexterity is beyond human capabilities, to say your character as a child defeated one and was not even exalted suspends game belief. Referencing Core book page 285. So, I am having a problem with that part of your story. Could you change that portion of your story?
  • The brief description of your characters Exaltation, I would rather you remove that and save it for the Prelude.

What book does the Merits and Flaws come out of?
Merits and Flaws come from the book Scroll of Heros. Blindness would give me +6 BP, but I have spent that on two Awareness Charms. If you don't want me to have the flaw, it can just be color and I'll not worry about getting the Charms to counter the blind fighting penalties. Moving Renna to come from the South will work; it is not a deal killer

The Fair Folk doesn't have to be a noble. I had that in the back story to be something worth Exalting over. I had also planned on being hunted by the Fae, trying to capture or kill me for the embarrassment of escaping from my captivity.

@Sherwood Maybe you could do like I did? I too love Lunars, and so I initially had Little Acorn Exalt after being beaten bloody but refusing to give up. Rereading it I realised it was more of a Lunar thing, so I switched it around and had Little Acorn beat up Bloodfist, having Exalted at some unspecified moment before the duel. Again, unless someone sees her caste mark, there's really nothing that tells her she's a Solar, or even that she has Exalted - unless she has quite a bit of Lore and Occult to help her piece it together.

Also, unless being subjected to the abuse of the Fae is an integral part of your story, having them hunt you out of pure obsession works just as well. Think about it, the beautiful blind girl who outdanced the lord, of course they are going to be obsessed, it is a great story. And being unable to rid themselves of it the usual way (can't Shape away Intimacies created by or to Creation-born) doesn't help.

Also, as for the blindness - you could just use it as colour. Ignore the penalties (chalk it up to Daredevil-level secondary senses), don't bother with BP, and simply roleplay the fact that she can't see. It is entirely in keeping with the spirit of Exalted that people don't even realise her condition until it is pointed out to them.

Edit: All of the above are just my two yen, ignore at will.

@Lord Sia, thank you for your input. I'm in the process of changing my story a bit to better fit in this game, since the original version of this character was also a Lunar. I'm also having to change my point of origin to the South, but that is just a simple matter of changing a few names.

If our ST doesn't want me to use the Flaw of Blindness, I'll just drop the two Awareness Charms I bought. The version I PM'd Phyre has her with the Flaw and Keen Hearing and Touch Technique and a Awareness Specialty. @Phyre, which version of this would you prefer?

She is also being hunted by the Fae lord of the Freehold that she escaped from. Even if that flaw is not allowed, I'll still keep that part of her story because its just cool.

Sounds like some good ideas there. I'll tweak my background to have her lose the match, and have to deal with the pain of having failed to free her family. The Charm suggestion is a good idea; I just need to figure out which other Charm to drop to get it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back