The Tragedy of Titanfall

Andy Samberg

Andy Samberg
There's about two main reasons why Titanfall 2 (one of the best shooters I've played in a while) 

For one, its release date was very detrimental to the game. There were two other AAA titles that ended up basically destroying the game's player base. Battlefield 1 and IW. Now most of you are saying that Infinite Warfare was garbage, but its sales are still very admirable. These two were the most discussed games that we've seen in a while, and Titanfall being pushed up in their alley basically divided its player base. Essentially these two titles stole most of the players it could have acquired. If they would have pushed the date a few months later towards Christmas time, they could have had a real shot at topping CoD sales and even BF1 sales. 

Second, the first game in this franchise was... not that great. Shady and half done graphics (at least on XB1, as well as standard PC's) no engaging or enthralling story, (no story at all) and repetitive multiplayer. Now the second addition is fantastic in all of these aspects, driven and well written story, beautiful graphical effects, and fun and gripping multiplayer. This game is super fun, but the first game basically turned many gamers off to the second addition. I know a few friends who didn't buy Titanfall 2 because the first was just so bad, but the second is even better. So much better. 

Honestly, a later release date would have helped this game so much, and it really sucks that Respawn saw little profit from this. DAMNIT EA

I prefer advanced warfare, love the exos, so far I've only played the campaign on Titan fall 2, I'm not gonna bother with infinite warfare, running out of harddrive space as it is, saving it for For Honor. But is the multiplayer really that good? I never played the first one and I'm not a big fan of pvp as much as I used to be when I was younger. I really do love multilayer games where it's player Vs bots though. I played the for honor beta and it had those modes that basically rewarded you the same as it would for pvp, I loved it. So if the multiplayer is as good as you claim maybe I'll give it a shot

I prefer advanced warfare, love the exos, so far I've only played the campaign on Titan fall 2, I'm not gonna bother with infinite warfare, running out of harddrive space as it is, saving it for For Honor. But is the multiplayer really that good? I never played the first one and I'm not a big fan of pvp as much as I used to be when I was younger. I really do love multilayer games where it's player Vs bots though. I played the for honor beta and it had those modes that basically rewarded you the same as it would for pvp, I loved it. So if the multiplayer is as good as you claim maybe I'll give it a shot

oh sweet jesus,

titanfall 2 was a masterpiece, honestly.

the multiplayer's dynamic of fast-paced pilot combat mixed with tge powerful feeling of both piloting and rodeoing a titan is exhilirating.

not to mention its signature epilogue, ai system, and bounty hunt, a new game type.

a variety of titans AND almost full cosmetic customization ((the loadouts are set, which kinda sucks, but you see the logic in it later in the game)), and fine-tuning your titan to fit your playstyle is really quite great.

not to mention the DLC IS COMPLETELY FREE!

the only microtransactions aren't that badly priced, actually.

i do agree that its release was iffy.

but it outdid the rest of the aaa games in my opinion.

and deserved goty.

fucking overwatch...

Battlefield and CoD probably still would have outsold titanfall. People buy those games off name alone, especially BF1 which brought infantry focus back into the game and does a good job at it. It also does a good job at making air combat feel rewarding.

There's a big demographic of CoD and Battlefield Consumers who would not like titanfall specifically because of the 'titans'. 

Titanfall 2 was a good game and deserves the recognition, it's certainly better than IW. But your number comment might be a little misguided. 

There's about two main reasons why Titanfall 2 (one of the best shooters I've played in a while) 

For one, its release date was very detrimental to the game. There were two other AAA titles that ended up basically destroying the game's player base. Battlefield 1 and IW. Now most of you are saying that Infinite Warfare was garbage, but its sales are still very admirable. These two were the most discussed games that we've seen in a while, and Titanfall being pushed up in their alley basically divided its player base. Essentially these two titles stole most of the players it could have acquired. If they would have pushed the date a few months later towards Christmas time, they could have had a real shot at topping CoD sales and even BF1 sales. 

Second, the first game in this franchise was... not that great. Shady and half done graphics (at least on XB1, as well as standard PC's) no engaging or enthralling story, (no story at all) and repetitive multiplayer. Now the second addition is fantastic in all of these aspects, driven and well written story, beautiful graphical effects, and fun and gripping multiplayer. This game is super fun, but the first game basically turned many gamers off to the second addition. I know a few friends who didn't buy Titanfall 2 because the first was just so bad, but the second is even better. So much better. 

Honestly, a later release date would have helped this game so much, and it really sucks that Respawn saw little profit from this. DAMNIT EA

It is unfortunate, because EA does not care at all about their individual studios. They wanted both of their games out in time to soak up some revenue before releasing DLC and changes in time for the holidays --or at least the promise of DLC close to or after the holidays themselves. DICE has often and always been the favorites of the gigantic publishing menace, so of course they gave the prime time slot to their golden cash cows. That said, overall it was a poor marketing decision and dripping with smash-and-grab attitude: drop multiple AAA titles and beat out Activision's Infinite Warfare overall, instead of competing with just one game up at bat.

Respawn has always done right by the gamers. DLC is free from them almost always, if not outright always. Titanfall's first installment was not bad per se --at least not at the time. Retrospectively, perhaps, but not at the time of release. It tried desperately to innovate the multiplayer experience, and sank all of the development time and resources into making it shine. It came short not  because of the innovations (which were fantastic in their own, individual right) but because of the lack of diversity and stratification of play. This newest installment hits the mark they wanted the first time, and perhaps even beyond. The story is compelling, and not just compared to the 'modern shooter' campaigns. It asks questions, has character development, diversity, boss fights and does not give us all the answers we want. We are asking for more, as we should. It is not a trick of selling more copies later --at least not yet. Rather it is a good device for steeping us players in the universe they want to flesh out. It is a perfect jumping off point for people who want to give the series a second shot and newcomers alike. The fact that the game is getting snubbed is atrocious, but as gamers we have one amazing and true power: we are legion. Our dollars and our voices make or break the industry. Formulaic games survive because of comfort zones, but otherwise one-off or indy-developed games can thrive because we say so, espousing our love for them with gusto. Undertale comes to mind, and of course Minecraft did not start as the giant it is now, either.

It is our responsibility to save Respawn and Titanfall's next installment. We must share with our friends, explode social media with praise, and flood YouTube with great content. When Respawn needs support, it is up to us to give it. I do believe EA's practices are abysmal, and that we are just a market rather than fans or customers. But the developers beneath them are not like that. The studios homogenized beneath EA's banner are piled with deadlines, funding cuts, and restrictions that would drive any average person mad --I know from experience and those of my peers. Still they work their grueling 60-80 hour weeks (sometimes more) to do the best they can to bring their vision to the people that make their sweat and tears worth the struggle. They do it to show us their labor of love, because nobody would ever submit themselves to such grueling effort if they did not truly love their craft.

Titanfall 2 is an excellent example of high-mobility multiplayer. I personally feel the balance is very good, and unlike many other games I feel like my opponent earned it when they killed me. The skill curve is real, present, and notable. I have a habit of tracking my stats from week to week to mark general improvement. (I program for a living and I like making games, so for me it is a learning experience in what works and what doesn't to construct competitive play.) Regardless of the tools and weapons, utilization of the space and movement is the key to success. A pilot can kill a Titan, and sometimes with greater success than another Titan. The same foes that slaughtered me when I first entered multiplayer, are now my equal. "Getting good" largely feels like a matter of skill over a specific choice of weapons that are strictly better than one another. Many games are a victim of "Clone Gunmatch" where many people use the same weapons or tools as everyone else because they are strictly better than others. In my humble opinion I think Titanfall 2 largely does a solid job of avoiding this. Not to say individuals don't find greater comfort in the handling of one weapon versus another, but I digress. The battlefield feels alive and chaotic. There is always something to shoot, and rewards for doing well. The AI soldiers make it feel like you're never in a lull. The maps are expansive and rife with routes for flanking and outmaneuvering others --never is there really a static, unbreakable frontline fight (looking at you, Battlefield series).

All in all, I would give it five stars across the board. I am never put off by the game, and instead of finding myself frustrated by being beaten, I often look at why. You can always learn a thing or two watching other pilots and the daft maneuvers they pull. If you are going to give any game a chance, try Titanfall 2. It is not the formulaic drivel that is currently floating around (though honestly, I must commend Battlefield 1 on the somehow 'fresh' feeling on their age-old series. I can't put my finger on why, but I do like it more than many of its predecessors).

oh sweet jesus,

titanfall 2 was a masterpiece, honestly.

the multiplayer's dynamic of fast-paced pilot combat mixed with tge powerful feeling of both piloting and rodeoing a titan is exhilirating.

not to mention its signature epilogue, ai system, and bounty hunt, a new game type.

a variety of titans AND almost full cosmetic customization ((the loadouts are set, which kinda sucks, but you see the logic in it later in the game)), and fine-tuning your titan to fit your playstyle is really quite great.

not to mention the DLC IS COMPLETELY FREE!

the only microtransactions aren't that badly priced, actually.

i do agree that its release was iffy.

but it outdid the rest of the aaa games in my opinion.

and deserved goty.

fucking overwatch...

I agree with just about everything here. Titanfall 2's game type updates are absolutely fantastic in every meaning of the word. They made fresh changes, and paid close attention to what would work with their style of play. The cosmetic updates are a change I am elated to see. Your pilot feels much more like your pilot, as does your titan. I personally do not mind microtransactions when they don't change the structure of the game to "pay more to win". They are reasonable and will generate a small, but steady income for the game post-release. Besides, in the world of DLC spamming and pushing, Respawn is producing free content. I believe they are entitled to some mild microtransactions.

Battlefield and CoD probably still would have outsold titanfall. People buy those games off name alone, especially BF1 which brought infantry focus back into the game and does a good job at it. It also does a good job at making air combat feel rewarding.

There's a big demographic of CoD and Battlefield Consumers who would not like titanfall specifically because of the 'titans'. 

Titanfall 2 was a good game and deserves the recognition, it's certainly better than IW. But your number comment might be a little misguided. 

As a player of all three, it is hard for me to separate the desire to play each. CoD will always make record numbers, but I believe the point of the original statement is to insinuate that Titanfall 2 would have sold more copies overall, not take sales away from the Infinite Warfare release. I agree with your BF1 assessment, and the infantry focus in the game is compelling and refreshing. Still, as per usual there are the "armor jockey" types and the "ace pilots" who are so disgustingly good that they tip the scales --all the more if their team recognizes the resource for what it is.

But a shooter is a shooter, and sometimes one "mode" of combat becomes stale. Titanfall 2 is very different from most anything out there, unless of course you still play Tribes Ascend (In which case, good for you! Tribes deserved to live longer than it did!) Having variety is a benefit we gamer often take for granted. Not just sports versus shooters versus RPG --we have variety within each! Titanfall 2 is spice for the variety, and very well designed and executed spice as well. Not giving it a fair shake is a mistake, and I would tell that to anyone who likes shooters. You may not like it, and that is your prerogative of course. But what if you do, and you can add to that variety we are so saturated with? Taking advantage of available resources is a boon of the gaming generation, after all. In this new industry standard of forever-pushing DLC, a studio releasing free content (like Respawn's with Titanfall 2) is an economic choice as well.

All of this is my opinion of course, not to ruffle any feathers.

As a player of all three, it is hard for me to separate the desire to play each. CoD will always make record numbers, but I believe the point of the original statement is to insinuate that Titanfall 2 would have sold more copies overall, not take sales away from the Infinite Warfare release. I agree with your BF1 assessment, and the infantry focus in the game is compelling and refreshing. Still, as per usual there are the "armor jockey" types and the "ace pilots" who are so disgustingly good that they tip the scales --all the more if their team recognizes the resource for what it is.

But a shooter is a shooter, and sometimes one "mode" of combat becomes stale. Titanfall 2 is very different from most anything out there, unless of course you still play Tribes Ascend (In which case, good for you! Tribes deserved to live longer than it did!) Having variety is a benefit we gamer often take for granted. Not just sports versus shooters versus RPG --we have variety within each! Titanfall 2 is spice for the variety, and very well designed and executed spice as well. Not giving it a fair shake is a mistake, and I would tell that to anyone who likes shooters. You may not like it, and that is your prerogative of course. But what if you do, and you can add to that variety we are so saturated with? Taking advantage of available resources is a boon of the gaming generation, after all. In this new industry standard of forever-pushing DLC, a studio releasing free content (like Respawn's with Titanfall 2) is an economic choice as well.

All of this is my opinion of course, not to ruffle any feathers.

I was responding specifically to the part where he said they might have done better.  

I agree with most of you said but as a PhD student in computer science and software engineering with a focus into ui/ux and product  usability (only mentioned this because at some point you mentioned your programming career to one of the others)  I do not look at it the same way as most.  I look at it as simply,  cod you can pick up and play and to a less but not too large of a degree battlefield is the same way.  A large bit of the consumers are those type of people.  It is easier to put out a product that's wanted then add features later (which is the point of iterative design.  And also why game companies are basically putting unfinished games out. It's cheaper and they can charge for it for the rest of it. )

If cod took the titanfall route it'd outsell titanfall.  It's an established entity,  and established entities already have a large loyal fan base so it's easier to branch out and try something new.  This is why name brands outsell other companies no matter the quality of the smaller companies.  This is also why sometimes video games,  music,  any product may retroactively sell high.  

Idr my point I was making anymore..  OK byeeee 

I was responding specifically to the part where he said they might have done better.  

I agree with most of you said but as a PhD student in computer science and software engineering with a focus into ui/ux and product  usability (only mentioned this because at some point you mentioned your programming career to one of the others)  I do not look at it the same way as most.  I look at it as simply,  cod you can pick up and play and to a less but not too large of a degree battlefield is the same way.  A large bit of the consumers are those type of people.  It is easier to put out a product that's wanted then add features later (which is the point of iterative design.  And also why game companies are basically putting unfinished games out. It's cheaper and they can charge for it for the rest of it. )

If cod took the titanfall route it'd outsell titanfall.  It's an established entity,  and established entities already have a large loyal fan base so it's easier to branch out and try something new.  This is why name brands outsell other companies no matter the quality of the smaller companies.  This is also why sometimes video games,  music,  any product may retroactively sell high.  

Idr my point I was making anymore..  OK byeeee 

To reiterate --or perhaps clarify-- my point isn't so much outselling Infinite Warfare as it is staying away from direct competition with it. EA's logic however is less about having one game outsell the other, and instead putting out two games at the same time to undermine the "if not A, then B" mentality many game publishers seem to approach with when pushing formulaic game development. As you said, BF1 and CoD have a fair amount of overlap. But for those who aren't looking for that particular overlap, or at least those who want to stay away from the 'cookie-cutter' shooters, they pushed Titanfall 2 into the same release period to steal some added thunder.

EA is the holder of the leash when it comes to release dates, and knowing full-well that they could have had better individual performance in sales from Titanfall by releasing it at a different time, they instead tried to shiv Activision. Speaking from experience, this is not an uncommon practice for the industry bigwigs. EA has their fingers in a lot of pies, and to look at the bigger picture the CoD franchise simply works. It has a large and loyal following (as you said) and is perfectly steady. That said, games and their followings become a lot more diverse when the pool of available games is diluted with different titles. More available next-gen shooters, the quicker they can burn the wick on the countdown until next one is pushed out, and the next, and the next. For example, open world sandboxes exploded after the success of the first well-executed few. More and more were pushed out until the big publishers flooded the market to the point of making it stale --or at least fairly stale. The more single-focus studios then struggle at this point for something new to catch attention, but the big publishers with many resources at their disposal already have a flagship title set for release in a new or recently underplayed genre. Currently the AAA focus has shifted back to the infantry-heavy, high-mobility shooter. Moving around quickly with a lot of three-dimensional freedom became the thing that people are fascinated by. We live in the age of reinvention; video games have been around long enough mature and hit most of the major 'types' and is now working on refining them or hybridizing them. Borderlands is a good example of a very good first attempt at an RPG that handles like a solid shooter, a few gimmicks thrown in to hold attention.

The bottom line is that EA is setting a vanguard of titles out in preparation to shift their focus to their shiniest, flashiest, newest installment. Mass Effect: Andromeda is the incoming cash cow for them, and regardless of the performance of BF1 or Titanfall 2, they're expecting it to bring in a tsunami of cash flow. Not too many games in the vein of Mass Effect are coming soon, so when it drops it will have quite the wide market to itself. They have their eyes set on the big prize, they could care less about how BF1 and Titanfall 2 do. They intended only to undercut some competition while holding the line for their big drop. Bethesda has nothing coming anywhere near in the same time frame and Final Fantasy XV has been out long enough to let the hype and new player influx calm down.  The only relatively hyped title in the same vein that has seen any real media coverage is Horizon Zero Dawn, and it is relegated strictly to PS4. On top of that HZD is being developed by Guerrilla Games, who up until this ambitious project have only ever produced the Killzone first-person shooter series (and  Shellshock Nam '67).  It looks cool, but many are hesitant to see if it will actually be any good. EA has 2017 Q1 and Q2 to itself almost exclusively, and perhaps most of Q3. Some more Action RPG games are going to show up around the end of Q3 and Q4 (such as Red Dead Redemption 2, unless delayed), but Mass Effect: Andromeda will have already been basking in the glory.

Sorry for the long-winded explanation. I have strong feelings about the industry at the moment given my personal work experience and the hardship of my friends and coworkers. The rise of independent development is one of the best things to happen to the industry in a long while, but the publishers are still massive obstacles and will be for the foreseeable future.

@One Last Dawn honestly horizon zero dawn is the only game I'm looking forward to.  It's pretty looking and relatively novel. 

But no I do agree with your assessment.  But that's the nature of industry itself,  the gaming industry is just new enough that it's just now happening this way.  It's the tried and true business model.  

Independent gaming is rising because of accessibility thanks to the Internet.  Same thing is occurring in music.  

@One Last Dawn honestly horizon zero dawn is the only game I'm looking forward to.  It's pretty looking and relatively novel. 

But no I do agree with your assessment.  But that's the nature of industry itself,  the gaming industry is just new enough that it's just now happening this way.  It's the tried and true business model.  

Independent gaming is rising because of accessibility thanks to the Internet.  Same thing is occurring in music.  

Accessibility is a wild, beautiful, dangerous creature. I love the independent community for both music and games. Hopefully it will breed a new business model that grows to rival the old, but it can only happen with the support of the gamer legions.

I hope you don't mistake my hesitation for Horizon Zero Dawn for reluctance to participate. I am very excited to see the next game from Guerrilla. I loved the Killzone series in all honesty, and I am going to support their new ventures too. Hopefully they did their homework and this game is going to be what we are all hoping it is. Contrary to the belief that "pre-orders make for shitty releases", I feel that it can also incentivize a good and passionate studio to really give it their best. We will see how it goes, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for them

Alright so does anyone play Titan fall 2 on the xbone? Cuz I wanna give it a shot but I also would rather play with some friends too

Alright so does anyone play Titan fall 2 on the xbone? Cuz I wanna give it a shot but I also would rather play with some friends too

Unfortunately I do not have Titanfall 2 on Xbox One. I tend to keep my shooters (unless console exclusive) on my PC. I would most certainly play with you if you should you manage to grab it for PC. If not, I could potentially ask around in my group of gaming comrades to see if any of them have Titanfall 2 for Xbox? Only if you would like me to, of course.

Unfortunately I do not have Titanfall 2 on Xbox One. I tend to keep my shooters (unless console exclusive) on my PC. I would most certainly play with you if you should you manage to grab it for PC. If not, I could potentially ask around in my group of gaming comrades to see if any of them have Titanfall 2 for Xbox? Only if you would like me to, of course.

I would rather know these people first, I can tell a lot about a person from the way they write. And I assure you I will never be a pc gamer. Not because I don't like it, but because I can't stare at a computer screen for too long without my migraines acting up. And then it just turns into a whole cascade of facial pain and nose bleeds and yeah

I would rather know these people first, I can tell a lot about a person from the way they write. And I assure you I will never be a pc gamer. Not because I don't like it, but because I can't stare at a computer screen for too long without my migraines acting up. And then it just turns into a whole cascade of facial pain and nose bleeds and yeah

That sounds awful. Should I happen into some extra funds, I will purchase a copy of Titanfall 2 on the Xbox One. Nobody should ever have to play alone!

That sounds awful. Should I happen into some extra funds, I will purchase a copy of Titanfall 2 on the Xbox One. Nobody should ever have to play alone!

Haha thanks but I don't want you to have to spend money because of me, and heaven forbid you'll have to start over on your multiplayer progress!

And yeah hah, I have crossed olfactory and optical nerves and I had sinusplasty done a year ago so the surgery scars are still kinda fresh 

Haha thanks but I don't want you to have to spend money because of me, and heaven forbid you'll have to start over on your multiplayer progress!

And yeah hah, I have crossed olfactory and optical nerves and I had sinusplasty done a year ago so the surgery scars are still kinda fresh 

It is scarcely any amount of money I wouldn't spend on something equally as silly. On more than one occasion I've bought multiple copies of games to play with others. Multiplayer progress can be earned back, it is hardly a big deal. A little kindness goes a long way, my friend! When it is paid to me, I pay it forward. "Be the change you wish to see in the world," right?

It is scarcely any amount of money I wouldn't spend on something equally as silly. On more than one occasion I've bought multiple copies of games to play with others. Multiplayer progress can be earned back, it is hardly a big deal. A little kindness goes a long way, my friend! When it is paid to me, I pay it forward. "Be the change you wish to see in the world," right?

You my friend are a rarity you know that? 

I try not to compare, honestly. I simply abide by what I believe. Everyone is flawed, myself included. My method of handling that is trying to make up for my faults with shared kindnesses when I can manage it.

Aye, I can sympathize with that

So I just played the multiplayer for the first time right now.....holy shit that was so much fun!!!! I was actually doing a lot better than I thought!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back