• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

The Redux of the Tale of a Falling Empire

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
"Thank you, my lady Satrap." Ferala sits in the indicated seat, while trying to determine whether Kitava just reprimanded her for bringing the report personally, or simply expressed her confidence in Ferala's staff for future reference.

Oh well - no matter. Being an audience to Kitava's proposed reforms would be instructive, both for learning the new Satrap's aims and personality, and because she would doubtless have to help implement them. The suggestions were certainly imposing. "A new broom sweeps clean, they say", she thought. Elemental livestock was certainly an unexpected direction. Civil examinations were probably a good idea, on balance, for all that it could threaten the Perfected Hierarchy. As for the Demon Kitava had brought with her as her tailor - well, Ferala withheld judgement on that, and filed it away as a possible source of trouble down the line.

Kitava gives Ramuron a look of warning, reprimanding him curtly, her words carried to his ears alone, "It is disgraceful to speak ill of your wife behind her back. You should be honoured to have my sister's hand, and that is the last I wish to hear of the matter."

Kitava watches the Hasuri reaction as they enter and internally is pleased to note they do not exhibit the slightest discomfort at Berengiere's presence. Outside the family it could be so tiresome to deal with the irrational fears of the ignorant and superstitious.

She gestures for Ferala to approach and beckons with one hand to summon the proffered report into her hands on a gust of wind, scanning it quickly as she listens to Boroma and Netara. She arches one eyebrow but her smile widens as she looks up, "The Dragons were generous in apportioning wisdom in your family. I am pleased. I prefer to begin from a base of stability and popular support. Reform is like a storm - it can be disruptive and trying, but it clears out old weak growth and outmoded obstacles to more vibrant new growth. A healthy forest tolerates it best, and most quickly reaches new heights of vitality. Allow me then to present to you a vision for a brighter and more prosperous future for House Hasuri and all of her subjects."

"Thank you, Ferala. I understand you must be busy. Personally delivering your reports is unnecessary, but while you are here, please, make yourself comfortable," she says brusquely, gesturing at the couch, "It will be good for you to be aware of coming changes."

She pauses momentarily to collect her thoughts, the winds swirling around her slowing only to redouble their intensity as she launches into her presentation, "The sale of key positions is a lucrative source of income for House Hasuri and useful for cultivating the support of those of wealth and breeding, especially where the titles are heritable, but it limits administrative efficiency, accumulates bureaucratic dead weight, and stifles innovation. By instituting an tried and true system of enlightened civic examinations for the selection and appointment of officials from all branches of the administration, we can inculcate a culture of meritocratic excellence, but I propose we go further."

As her excitement builds her words come faster, her eyes are lit by periodic tiny flashes of lightning, and the winds swirling around her accelerate, only serving to punctuate her words and carry them to the ears of her audience. As she speaks assistants periodically add to a growing pile of scrolls bearing reports, supporting documents, extensive analyses, revenue projections, and supplementary materials to the low tables beside Boroma and Netara at a rate that could only be matched by an essence fuelled reader. "The Varangians consult the stars in assigning every member of their society a caste and role. In this they make a crucial mistake: They are staffing terrestrial bureaucracies, not celestial. The ancient lessons in geomancy we have carefully cultivated since the time of the Shogunate teach us that everything can, and should, be aligned with the five elements. I have devised a method by which we can test the elemental affinity of every applicant, and so properly sort them into the role best suited to them."

She conjures a scale model of the city crafted of clouds of sparkling frost in the air around her, deftly reshaping and rearranging it with her hands as she speaks, "By aligning the functions of these new administrative centres with the extant geomantic flows of the city, strengthened with relatively modest changes to its layout, we can significantly improve efficiency and harmony. Once this is complete, we can extend the system of examinations and elemental affinity testing to every aspect of society, and embark on significantly more ambitious geomantic sculpting projects to restore the ancient meridians the city was once centred around when first established. The glories of the Shogunate -" no need to alarm the unenlightened with discussion of the Realm Before "- are within reach for those learned and ambitious enough to seize them."

She pauses for effect as she looks up at her audience. "I expect you are now asking yourself how we shall pay for all of this with a significant revenue stream for House Hasuri eliminated," her smile widens. "Please, allow me to introduce Berengiere," she gestures at the powerful demon putting the finishing touches on her outfit for the evening around her as she speaks, "One of the most potent spirits in Creation, a patron of artisans and connoisseur of beauty in artistry and craft whose aid and blessings will prove invaluable. I believe her work speaks for itself," she gestures at her outfit. "I have studied the mercantile enterprises of Kandara, the crafts of her artisans, and the livelihoods of her ladies and lords. I observe the all too common dilemma of whether to turn rural lands to grazing for cloth, farming for feed and food, or forest for fuel and construction. I believe we can resolve this dilemma in a way most profitable for both our Houses, with more than enough besides to fund my ambitious plans for infrastructure improvements. By breeding elementally aspected sheep, and extending the geomantic engineering out into the countryside, we can give Kandara's artisans the materials from which to produce fine textiles with remarkable properties. From fire-aspected sheep whose wool burns hot and long in forges and hearths to replace firewood, to water aspected wool that purifies liquids strained through it, to wood aspected wool resplendent with rare and precious dyes, we can take Kandara's already well known reputation for fine weavers and turn them into the envy of the Realm." She doesn't mention the air aspected sheep. They would undoubtedly produce wool fit for fine sails and perhaps even cooling foodstuffs in the holds of ships, but she fears they would simply fly over enclosures and be terribly difficult to herd without - perhaps she could gift sheepdogs with flight to keep up with them? She makes a mental note to return to that later.

"Once the new civic administration is complete, I have prepared proposals for rationalizing judicial and administrative districts outside the city, please peruse the maps at your leisure..."

So Kitava has rattled off who knows how many Ventures here, some Sorcerous and some Leadership/Act of Governance. She's going to embark on as many of them as inhumanly possible, and likely make a lot of people very upset in the process as she upends every system she deems insufficiently efficient. Whenever it's appropriate, let me know what she should roll.

Boroma and his mother both do their best to follow Kitava's explanations and comprehend her ideas, all of which seem to intrigue them.

"My son and I are both aware that the different Dragon-blooded Aspects have affinities for different abilities and roles, being blessed by the Dragons ourselves. Though I must say, I never imagined that could extend down to the mortals in some form." says Netara.

"Hmm...what about earth-aspected sheep? Would they be able to produce wool that's stronger than ordinary wool? That would be good for making clothes that don't wear and tear easily, to say nothing of non-metal armor." suggests Boroma.

Netara gives Kitava a smile. "You've certainly given us a lot to think about, Lady Satrap." she says. "Still, for the moment I can see no reason to object to any of your plans."

"Neither can I." replies Boroma. "Still, I think my mother and I will need some time to look through the documents you have provided."

In terms of Intimacies, I'm going to split them as follows:

Boroma:
1 Minor [Awe]
1 Minor ["I have faith in Kitava's ability."]
1 Minor ["House Hasuri has the full confidence and support of House Ragara."]

Netara:
1 Minor [Respect]
1 Minor [Trust]
1 Minor ["I believe Kitava will significantly improve the fortunes of House Hasuri."]
1 Minor ["Kitava has the full confidence and support of House Ragara, and her favour is valuable"]

As for Kitava's Ventures, I'll hold off on asking for any rolls at the moment.

Taeran can’t help but smile. She had been stuck on a ship too long with stuffy people talking about conceptual things. This is where the work is done. In the physical, with hands and weapons, not words. One idiotic thug at a time. She gives them ample time to look her over. They would consider her small frame and make the mistake of underestimating her. They had already made a similar mistake in calling out her sex—as if that had anything to do with it.

“Oh yes,” she replies in mock-desperation. “I’m scared. Do you know how I can get home.” She slips her hands into the false pockets of her over-shirt. Easier to access the many knives within.

Taeran's complete lack of fear gives the two hoodlums pause, but only for a moment. The man who first spoke to her gives a sad shake of his head.

"A cocky one, huh? And here I was hoping we wouldn't have to get rough." he replies, before he and his friend both draw knives of their own from their belts. Single-edged, and designed for slashing.

Clearly, they don't realize that they're dealing with a Dragon-blooded here.

I don't think this is going to be much of a fight. But at the same time, might as well get some experience with the combat system here. So roll Join Battle.

Thug #1 gets 1 success, Thug #2 gets 6 successes.
Primary Pool (6): Combat and Intimidation
Secondary Pool (5): Fleeing and Larceny
Tertiary Pool (4):

Health Levels: 5
Resolve: 3
Defense: 3
Hardness: 3
Soak: 2
Attacks and Qualities
Weapon: Knife (+2 Accuracy, +1 Defense, +0 Damage, 1 Overwhelming, Tags: Concealable, Melee, One-handed)

Last edited:
"Why?" Manato chuckled as if the answer should be obvious. "Because you're important, Shujayra. War, trade, travel, agriculture... various professions and commodities depend upon those with the heart and talent to care for the creatures that carry society on their backs every day. You are responsible for this magnificent horse. One so splendid as to be the envy of kings and princes. Don't you think that's pretty cool?" The commander raised a hand to her chin, prompting her to meet his gaze. "Listen... I, Satrap Kitava, the whole Realm, we all need people like you. Especially to supply the garrison. We'll be counting on stablehands to provide us with plenty of hardy, tenacious steeds." He smiled and turned to give Northern Wind a gentle pat as he made sure the saddle was secure. "Besides that, you serve at the palace of the king do you not?" Manato placed his foot in the stirrup and carefully heaved himself into the saddle. "Speaking of, I hope you're able to participate in the festivities this week. Until next time, don't feel bad to take pride in how valuable your work is." With that, he waved farewell and urged Northern Wind toward the garrison.

The commander digested the report in silence for a moment before speaking. "So, to make sure I understand correctly." Manato started rubbing his eyes in frustration. "A pack of Exalts was culling overgrown beasts successfully when an abnormal specimen suddenly ambushed you despite its immense stature and all but routed a force that had been doing well up until it stepped on the field. Current speculation is that it has some Wyld influence upon it. Since then, it has fled the scene and efforts to track the beast have failed with no sightings of it?" He stood up after recounting his interpretation of the facts, the implications potentially troublesome but unspoken for now. "The Satrap is already interested in taking Steelscale's life swiftly, I'll relay this to her this evening. Assuming this beast does have some abnormal influence upon it, I will commission whatever astronomers may serve or respond to the requests to the court to determine if it has generated an anomaly we can identify. Until then, I want you to coordinate a scouting venture in cooperation with any settlers on the fringes. We need a complete story of all Tyrant Lizard sightings from the time when the hunt was decided to present. We have a great mystery on our hands here Sanda, and I'm sure none of the hunting party nor our King wish for this indignity to stand much longer. Until further notice, locating our mark is your top priority. Dismissed." He ordered in a grave tone. This was a cleanup job and not the time for a pep talk. Mending morale and the reputation of the Princes of the Earth would be an effort for another time with more solid facts in his grasp.

Shujayra gives Makuro a warm smile as he turns and rides away, then quickly collects herself, trying her best to ignore the faint whispers she can hear from the other female servants behind her. She's going to endure a lot of teasing over this, she just knows it.

Sanda looks mildly embarrassed when he hears Manato's summation of the events of two years ago, as if they sound a lot worse when put that way, but he soon adopts a stoic expression and gives Manato another salute upon hearing the Fire Aspect's command.

"As you wish, sir." he replies, turning and leaving to carry out his new orders.

[Is there anything else Manato wishes to do here?]

Taeran tries to contain her excitement and joy. Like a child receiving a gift on her birthday, the electricity of anticipation courses through her lithe body and system. Her smile grows wider.

"Oh my," she says in a flat mechanical tone. "No. Please. Stop."

Even as she mouths the words, she is reaching out with her Essence. Feeling the motions in the air, listening to the sounds of movement and where they're reflecting from within the alley. She draws it all in like stretching a muscle eagerly after not being able to use if for too long. Her awareness is sharp and her reflexes at the peak of finesse, poised and ready.

Essence: 2
Motes 7/7

Defense 4
Parry: 4
Evasion: 4

Soak: 3 (2 armor)
Hardness: 4

Health Levels
[_][_] 0
[_][_][_] -1
[_][_][_] -2
[_] Incap

Taeran's blasé attitude is enough to enrage the two thugs into attacking. In practiced motions, they both rush forward and slash at her with their blades.

With Thug #2 getting six successes, I'm going to claim right to go first for my Storyteller characters here. Both of them are using withering attacks, and rolling with their primary pools of 6, plus an additional 2 dice from their weapons' accuracy ratings.

Thug #1 gets 7 successes, Thug #2 gets 4. WlfSamurai WlfSamurai , if you don't do anything, Thug #1 will get 4 power (1 from meeting Taeran's defense, 3 from extra successes), while Thug #2 will get 1 power from meeting Taeran's defense.

Also, I'm going to go ahead and reduce the Defense and Hardness of the Thugs down to three and two, respectively. Looking through the manuscript's premade enemies, the previous stats seem a bit too high for a pair of generic thugs.

Power ratings:
Taeran: 0

Thug #1: 4
Thug #2: 1

Tertiary Pool (4):

Hardness: 2
Soak: 3
Attacks and Qualities
Weapon: Knife (+2 Accuracy, +1 Defense, +0 Damage, 1 Overwhelming, Tags: Concealable, Melee, One-handed)

Last edited:
The lengthy presentation - or perhaps its positive reception - seems only to have energized Kitava, "Yes! I had the pleasure of attending debates between some of the finest philosophers of the South assembled from as far as Gem and Chiaroscuro to attend court while I was visiting the Lap. While they disagree on much, they all agree everything in Creation is composed of the five elements, and of those things that have a proper place in the Perfected Hierarchy, only the spirits of Heaven are not. It is no accident that we assign virtues and personality traits to the Immaculate Dragons and their antitheses, and seek to emulate or avoid them. In each of us, mortal or Exalted, is a natural balance of these elements, and both in excess and deficiency each contributes to our personality and capabilities. By measuring the relative balance of each element, I theorized we might craft a new field of organizational geomancy, and my work so far has yielded promising results."

She stops abruptly, seemingly realizing this may not be the time nor venue to discuss her work at length, "Ah, but I digress. Yes, of course, please take the time to thoroughly examine the material provided. Ferala, please go over the financial projections and planned capital outlays. Your familiarity with the territory will doubtless prove invaluable. Your Majesty, Lady Netara, I shall begin drafting detailed policy proposals for your perusal immediately. Thank you for your time." With a perfunctory nod she throws herself - and her staff - back into her work.

[Pass]

Taeran ducks and weaves with each of their slashes. Instead of immediately reaching for Essence to end this quick, she meets them on their terms. Her hands whip out of her over-shirt like lightning, both clutching daggers. She keeps her weave momentum and continues her spin to slash own blade on one of the thugs.

[Withering attack on Thug 2: 5 successes + 2 successes for dagger = 7 successes]
Motes 7/7

Defense 4

Health Levels
[_][_] 0
[_][_][_] -1
[_][_][_] -2
[_] Incap

Last edited:
The second of the thugs gives a grunt of alarm as Taeran draws her knives and slashes at him with one of them. He manages to dodge the worst of the blow, but he still yells in pain and stumbles back as he takes a shallow cut to his arm.

[Taeran beats Thug #2's defense with 4 bonus successes, giving her 5 Power]

As his comrade is forced back, the first of the thugs moves forward and, with practiced ease, slashes at the Air Aspect's carotid arteries, clearly happy to use lethal measures if it'll end this fight quickly.

[Going to resolve the attacks of both thugs separately. Thug #1 is using a decisive attack, spending all 4 points of his current Power. WlfSamurai WlfSamurai , please declareth thy defense.]

Power ratings:
Taeran: 5

Thug #1: 4

Tertiary Pool (4):

Attacks and Qualities

Taeran was not expecting to have to dip into Essence to handle this gutter trash. Perhaps she is rusty. Perhaps she simply thinks too highly of her skills. As quickly as the thought passes through her mind, she discards it as false. Her grasp on her own abilities has, in the past, been a strong suit of hers. She was praised in training and otherwise for her ability to size up her opposition or obstacle against her own strengths and weaknesses.

Somehow now, though, she had not expected such a decisive move by these thugs.

Her thoughts culminate into a mental shrug. She could consider the tactical implications and play the scenario back through her mind later. She knows she will regardless. No use wasting time here.

All this passes in less than in instant as her body reacts with Essence reflexively, without thought or intent. Like a shadow, she flickers away, too fast for perception, to evade in an impossible movement.

[Spending 2 motes on Flickering Shadow Evasion. In step 4, I roll and add successes to my Defense.]

Motes 5/7

Defense 4

Health Levels
[_][_] 0
[_][_][_] -1
[_][_][_] -2
[_] Incap

Thug #1 Attack roll.

With only two successes, the thug is unable to strike Taeran. His power goes down to zero.

The second of the thugs then moves forward, slashing at the Air Aspect's midsection.

[Withering attack. Declare defense.]

Power ratings:

Thug #1: 0

Tertiary Pool (4):

Attacks and Qualities

Last edited:
Keeping away from the first slash, Taeran sees the second coming. She does her best to spin away and under the thug’s slice.

[just keeping to straight Defense for Thug’s 2’s attack.]

Motes 5/7

Defense 4

Health Levels
[_][_] 0
[_][_][_] -1
[_][_][_] -2
[_] Incap

Thug #2 Attack roll.

With only three successes, the thug grunts in frustration as Taeran dodges under his attack.

Your move, WlfSamurai WlfSamurai . Also, once you take your turn, you'll recover one mote of Essence via the Breath of War.

Power ratings:

Tertiary Pool (4):

Attacks and Qualities

Last edited:
"My turn," Taeran mutters under her breath.

Having spun under the last thug's swing, she uses the momentum to continue her spin toward the alley wall. Drawing on her Essence, she steps and runs up the way, defying gravity. Her run takes her up on a diagonal, giving her an escape route (should she choose) and the perfect attack angle to throw her knives. Taeran draws out a knife and throws it with expert practice and professional accuracy at one of her attackers.

[Committing 1 mote to Graceful Crane Stance/Spider-Foot Style to allow for running on walls. This will be a decisive attack with 5 power. Declare defense?]

Motes 5/7 (1 mote committed to Graceful Crane Stance/Spider-Foot Style)

Defense 4

Health Levels
[_][_] 0
[_][_][_] -1
[_][_][_] -2
[_] Incap

Being mortals, there's little the two thugs can do to prepare for Taeran's attack, except perhaps gape at her as she gives gravity the proverbial middle finger and runs up the wall.

[Go ahead and make your attack roll. And if you get three or more successes, feel free to roll damage as well.]

Tertiary Pool (4):

Attacks and Qualities

With her opening created, Taeran takes her opportunity...

[Decisive attack: 6 successes + 2 successes for light thrown weapon - 3 Defense = 5 successes]
[Damage: 5 Power + 5 successes = 9 successes + 1 light thrown damage - 3 soak = 7 damage]

Defense 4

Health Levels
[_][_] 0
[_][_][_] -1
[_][_][_] -2
[_] Incap

Last edited:
Taeran's knife flies through the air, and buries itself in the skull - and brain - of one of the thugs. The man has just enough time left on Creation to stumble back a little from the force of the blow, before keeling over.

The surviving thug balks at seeing his comrade go down so suddenly, and realizing that he's outclassed against a merciless killer, turns around in an attempt to run away.

[The surviving Thug is attempting a disengage action. These are mentioned - but aren't exactly covered - in the manuscript, so I'm just going to ask you to roll an Attribute + Athletics. You'll have to get at least three successes to keep the Thug from disengaging.]

Power ratings:
Taeran: 0

Thug #2:

Tertiary Pool (4):

Attacks and Qualities

Taeran can't help but let a smile creep into the corner of her mouth. Killing should never be the goal. It's a means to an end, the way she's always seen it. Yet, that didn't take away from how good it felt. And somehow, it always gets easier...

Seeing the last bandit turn to flee, the Dragon-Blooded changes direction and leaps from side to side down the alley, chasing after him.

[Finesse + Athletics: 5 successes, banking my 2 stunt dice.]

Banked Stunt Dice: 2

Defense 4

Health Levels
[_][_] 0
[_][_][_] -1
[_][_][_] -2
[_] Incap

Last edited:
The thug comes skidding to a stop when Taeran lands in front of him.

"Don't kill me!" he shouts, raising both his hands as if this might somehow protect him.

[Moving out of combat time.]

Taeran, stares for a moment deep into the thug's eyes. She wants him to understand where the power in this exchange is now coming from. Who is in control. She knows that's all these gutter-trash bastards ever understand: who is in control of the situation.

"Here's the deal," Taeran says in a flat, uncaring tone. "I'm not here to kill you. Though—" she spares a glance at the thug's dead buddy, "I certainly don't mind doing so if need be. Talk to me about this part of town and I'll let you walk. Try to run, and I'll put you down like him. Deal?"

Start at the bottom, she considers to herself. Pile the bodies high enough and you can reach any peak.

The thug relaxes a little at Taeran's statement that she'll let him live.

"All I know is that this is the area of the city where most of the criminals hang out. The burglars, cutpurses, black marketeers and the like." he says. "Sometimes we venture out towards the Dragon District where the pickings are richer, but the closer you get to that part of the city, the more likely the Dragon-blooded and rich folk will notice you and come down on you like a stampede of yeddims. For most of us it's easier to just keep to around here, but even then we have to be careful not to draw the watch's ire..."

"Oh, sure," Taeran says and sighs. "Yes, yes. You're all so dangerous. I could have assumed all that. No, I mean, I want in. I want find the dens and gutters and the pit bosses. Who do you work for? Where do I find that person? Valuable information. Something I can use. Yeah?"

"Oh, right." replies the thug. He doesn't voice it of course, not wanting to risk aggravating Taeran, but the Air Aspect gets the impression he's thinking that, if she wanted to get involved with the criminal aspect of the city, she should have specified that instead of just asking about this area.

"I don't work for anyone. Me and most of the professional criminals here are independent, in a manner of speaking. There are a few small outfits that have a single leader, but there are no big organized syndicates." he says. "Still, if you want to get to know the criminal element, there's an establishment nearby where most of our ilk like to unwind and exchange news between jobs. The Rat's Rest, it's called. You go there, you'll have no trouble finding dishonest folk of some kind..."

Without saying a word, Taeran stalks past the thug to the dead body. She casually leans down and yanks her knife free from the corpse’s skull. Walking back, she wipes her blade on the thug’s shoulder, cleaning the blood and brains off. It’s then that she leans in, close to his ear.

“Don’t attack me ever again, “ she says in a whisper.

At that, she heads for Rat’s Rest.

The entrance to the Rat's Rest is located in a narrow, out-of-the-way alley, and has two more thugs loitering nearby. Both of them glance at Taeran, but unlike the pair of muggers, they don't try to give her trouble. Presumably they're only meant to keep an eye out for city watch. Whatever the case, Taeran pushes open the door and steps into the establishment proper.

At first glance, the Rat's Rest appears to be a cross between a tavern and a gambling den, with people either drinking, playing with cards, or rolling dice at the dozen or so tables and booths scattered throughout the room. The place is only about half-full at the moment, and it doesn't take a second glance for Taeran to see that, aside from a handful of prostitutes trying to ply their trades, and perhaps the tavern's staff, everyone here is a hardened criminal of some kind. Some have muscles and pockmarks born from surviving street fights and other acts of violence, others possess light fingers and limber physiques well-suited for running away and climbing through windows. One man currently making a killing at the card tables even appears to bear the marks of leprosy, though a trained eye will be able to tell that he's only faking them with face pigments and dirty-looking bandages, presumably to get by as a professional beggar. Most of the patrons bear weapons of some kind; hatchets, cudgels, daggers and anything else that's cheap and easy to conceal.

A smell of cheap alcohol and tobacco hangs over the room, and from somewhere beneath the floor, Taeran can just about make out the sounds of muffled cheering, suggesting further activity down below. At the same time, she also notices a number of the patrons looking her way, clearly recognizing the newcomer, and wondering what to make of her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back