• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
OOC
Here
Characters
Here

Covenant

Sentinent Cheesecake
Time: Shortly after sunrise

It‘s early morning in the Indigo Plateau, and one might be tempted to say that the city is just waking up. And for certain parts of the city, that would be true. The shop keepers are opening their doors, and the last, drunken guests finally stumble out of the taverns.
The other part of the city, not high up on the plateau but deep in the caverns that have been dug into the mountain so long ago that nobody really remembers who did it, haven‘t even gone to sleep.

No matter if for the trade, the opportunities or the less legal ventures, the saying that every person travels to the Indigo Plateau at least once in their lives almost seems to hold true on such mornings.

But lately, the reasons for people visiting the city have not been such happy ones. No matter from which direction, which territory, the majority of visitors lately have been refugees. People are flocking to the city with tales that range from strange to horrendous.

Stories of entire villages disappearing, long dormant volcanoes erupting, and rivers rising higher than they have ever done before. Day by day the number of people looking for shelter keeps growing.

So does the number of people willing to figure out the source of their problems. A large range of people, from village elders to young, adventuring types have come to the big city in search of answers.

Many of them turned to learned men, others turned to priests. Some were desperate enough to try fortune tellers and oracles, but no one seemed to have an answer for them. In the end, some left. Feeling discouraged, angry, or just plain deceived.

Others stuck around a bit longer and tried even more desperate measures. A few brave souls even ventured into the old forest at the very fringes of the plateau – a forest with a strange reputation. Children have gone there to play and returned without an issue, while grown men have disappeared, never to be seen again.

Faelarya Faelarya vinn vinn Theo713 Theo713 NeonFlow NeonFlow

Step. Clank. Step. Clank. Many words could be used to describe Wayland Smith. Strong. Wise. Resourceful. Silent? Silent was not one of these words. Wayland was about as silent as a Loudred mating call and twice as taxing on the ears. Clanky walk aside Wayland is able to keep up with the younger generation with relative ease, though he had noticed he had started to get winded easier than he had when he was younger. Getting old sucked. A faded fur cloak covered all but his right hand and arm which he kept free just in case he needed to make adjustments to his cloak. Wayland walked standing straighter than others, though that was probably due to the two handed hammer strapped to his backside. Under the cloak he carried the basic essentials for traveling on the road: a small knife and a coin purse. Tucked under his left arm was one of the most important possessions any one person could ever ask for; an Egg the size of today's standard of a football. No doubt a Pokemon Egg, at least in Wayland's mind, the creature it contained was still a mystery even to him. He kept the Egg close to his body, both to ensure it would stay safe as well as keep it warm. But hopefully that'll change soon.

As the sun began to rise on the Indigo Plateau and the shops began to open their doors for the day's business, Wayland would take in a deep breath. He remembered the days when he would wake early to open shop before anyone else. He remembered after an hour or so he would have to wake the rest of the family up so they could get their days started as well. Wayland would shake the thoughts from his mind as he continued in to town, letting his nose guide him to the closest baker's bakery, where he would buy two loaves of bread. As he left the bakery, the shop owner would hear Wayland muttering, though from this distance he couldn't tell what it was. “This...” he stopped, taking one of the loaves of bread in to his left hand and pressing it against the Egg. “Is bread. Once you come out of that shell of yours I'll share some bread with you, so you can taste how good it is for yourself. But for now” he chuckled, taking a bite from the second loaf “You'll just have to take my word for it.” Yes. He spoke to his Egg. And no. it didn't speak back. It gave him something to do between the time he found the Egg and coming to the Indigo Plateau.

The farther in to town Wayland was able to journey the more people whose paths he began to cross. It seemed a great deal of them had been forced from their homes, while Wayland had decided to leave his home of his own free will. He needed some fresh air. A change of scenery. And the Indigo Plateau seemed the perfect place for just such a thing.

Riley groaned when he heard the city around him waking up. When the sun had risen a bit earlier, he was able to somewhat ignore it, but with the city's noises getting louder and louder it was hard to not pay attention.
"I will never complain again about the Pidgeys and Hoothoots at home", he thought and sat up on the worn mattress. His fingertips found the small totem on his chest. "Good morning, Amy", he murmured, immediately distracting himself from the suffocating feeling in his chest by gently patting the egg that took up about one third of the bed. "And good morning to you as well, big boy."
He didn't know whether the Pokémon that grew inside the light blue shell really was male but that was just his way of handling the new situation with this unexpected companion. Riley always treated Pokémon and humans alike so there was no reason to make a difference only because one was still an egg. Humans would talk to the belly of a pregnant woman as well, right?

After fnishing his morning routine he looked at the egg and sighed. "Guess I shouldn't leave you here" he announced after a moment and picked it up. The thought of leaving it behind unsettled him deeply so he would have to carry it ... everywhere. "Oh boy, what have I gotten myself into."
The sun greeted him as he stepped out of the inn's door. The egg was safely in the backpack on his back. "Okay buddy, let's see whether we can find something for breakfast and afterwards the recipes and ingredients we came here for", he said cheerfully which got him weird looks from some passers. Besides that Riley had the feeling that something new and exciting was going to happen that day.

The Pidgeys in this city sounded so different from those at home. Way more hectic, not as melodic. But that's just how city life was, Kayo figured. She yawned and continued watching passers on the street below. Her rest had been short, she wasn't used to drunk people yodeling about how much they loved the girl from next doors right underneath her window. As soon as the sun was up, she decided to get up and look outside the window for a while. It was too early to wake the master anyway. The city seemed even dirtier now than it did the night before when they had arrived, and it wasn't the nice kind of dirt. She could already tell that she'd never trade her life in the village for a life in this city.
When her master offered her to come along with him to the Indigo Plateau to get new tools which could make their work easier, Kayo was both excited and scared. Excited for the new experiences and impressions she would get from this, and scared because she's never left home before. Not that far at least. She talked with her parents about it and while her mother was even more excited about it than herself, her dad was really concerned. Kayo often had to remind him that she was an adult and could handle most tasks and situations herself because she learned how to live with only one fully functional arm. In the end she and her mom could convince him how valuable that journey would be to her and that she would be safe at the side of her teacher.
And here she was. Kayo sighed. Good thing that he didn't plan on staying for too long, she'd survive this trip if - she heard a polite knock on her door.
"Kayo-san, are you awake?" she heard the familiar voice of her master. She closed the window, got up and walked over to the door so she wouldn't have to raise her voice as much. "Yes, I am", she replied. "I just have to get ready and then we can leave."
"Okay, take your time. I'll wait for your downstairs for breakfast, we'll leave afterwards." he replied and left her alone again after she agreed.
It didn't take long for her to get dressed, and she already was about to leave the room when her eyes rested on the small Pokémon egg wrapped in a fabric tissue which rested on the small bedside table. Kayo really didn't want to take it along with her, but the thought almost caused a headache for her. She sighed and let go of the door handle. "
Fine, you win, you'll come with me." she said out loud, althought she didn't know whom exactly she was talking to. Clearly not that egg ... right? She picked up the egg and carefully placed it inside the left sleeve of her yukata which she then tucked into her belt. The egg should be safe like this. She still hated the old woman who basically forced her with a broad grin to take the egg with her although she insisted she didn't want to. "It'll be good for you, you'll see", she mimicked the grandma in a derogative tone and rolled her eyes. Kayo still couldn't see how having a Pokémon egg would benefit her, but she also couldn't leave the tiny thing behind. That move would be as shitty as leaving a baby behind, right? And she wouldn't do something as terrible as that.
She locked her room and about half an hour later she and her master were on their way to the artisan market area.

The bag on the back of Michael was heavy, a large pack full of necessities when on a long trip. Food water and supplies of all sorts. The heaviest item in the bag was not the stringed instrument which stuck out the top... it was a Egg, stolen from Mike's previous job. If someone paid hefty gold for a egg... it must have worth right?... right?

The disc's on Mike's hips shined as sunlight hit them. Having played his original songs about travel and Pokemon the night before, Mister Cold had a full belly, a hangover, and a decent amount of gold from tips. The only thing in his way now? Nature, and all that lives in it. Locals spoke of the forest and how children never returned from it.
Mike only asked "why let kids play there then?"
He never got a good answer. Not like every parent has control of their young but the Forrest was daunting for sure. Each step Mike took seemed overshadowed by something else. A whoosh of something moving fast through tall grass.
A snap of a twig, a stick, a small tree...
The noises were scary for one traveling by themselves.

Mike was to cautious to sigh. As if some unknown creature would pounce him for breathing to loudly. His stomach was bubbling and sick from last night.
His eyes tired and sore from no sleep...
Perhaps rest at the town was more suitable... could travel again after lunch...
Mike made his way back civilization.

Two beady eyes stared into his. Blinking, Yannik's drowsiness quickly dissipated as his eyes met with the Fearow's fierce glare. Without flinching, he slowly reached for a leaf, picking it off the nearest branch. The pokemon watched him carefully, assessing whether to throw the human off its tree. Blowing through it's nose, Fearow flapped its wings in warning before calming to a pitched whistle. Yannik's lips were pressed to the leaf, creating a tune that turned the pokemon's caution into curiosity and finally passiveness. A smile warmed the young man's features, as he relaxed and continued to entertain the Fearow.

Yannik stretched his arms and cracked his neck. Spending the night on a tree wasn't as comfortable as he remembered it to be. It was his own tradition to spend the night stargazing on his first visit to someplace new. It killed his back, but it was worth mentally mapping the placement of the stars. However, waking to an angry Fearow was fucking alarming. It was definitely not wise of him to overlook it's nest. He was impressed by his own composure while he was internally shitting bricks. Thankfully, his little whistle trick managed to calm the pokemon.

"Close call, huh. It'd be a damn shame if I broke my neck." He nervously muttered to the egg strapped on his back. The wild Fearow was even kind enough to give him a ride back to town. Yannik reluctantly accepted the offer, appearing calm not to insult the pokemon while in reality he was absolutely terrified.

"I wasn't expected such a huge city at the Indigo Plateau. I always expected something much smaller scale, huh." The short light brown haired woman mumbled to herself as she walked through the morning streets, having arrived the night prior. She glanced about the large city streets with her vibrant purple eyes, trying to take in the scenery before it got flooded with the waking populace. A well kept lance strapped to her back, with her backpack on top of it. Layla casually strolled about the city carrying a rather large sized egg comfortably with both her hands. She managed to find it abandoned quite a while back before she left Unova to finally head to the Indigo Plateau to get a better idea of what's been happening. She didn't know much but she had heard about some recent disappearances in the woods near the town, which was just one of the reasons she came all the way to the Plateau.

She hummed a little tune to herself as she just enjoyed the new environment. She could have sworn she felt something move inside the egg a few times throughout her walk but she thought maybe her mind was just playing tricks on her. Her aimless wandering that she was so apt to do eventually dumped her out near the start of the forest she had heard a few warnings about. "As much as I want to just go in, we should probably just take a quick rest. Right bud?" She chatted with her egg again as she had gotten the habit of since travelling alone. She plopped on a bench near the forest entrance and relaxed with the egg on her lap as she relaxed and occasionally glanced around to see if anyone else was out and about. "I want to talk with some of the people here, I hear there's a ton of people here with totally different backgrounds and from different cultures altogether.. It is nice to have some alone time to relax though."

What's all this now?” Wayland would ask aloud as he neared what he believed to be the town square, finding it almost impossible to take a single step without either bumping in to someone or outright stepping on some toes. Men, women, young, old, even the occasional Pokemon filled every inch of every nook and cranny of the Indigo Plateau. And where one thought the ground would be all that was covered, flying type Pokemon also dotted the sky, looking for loose food and lost loved ones. Wayland had heard tale that things were getting bad, but he hadn't realized everyone had flocked to the same city he had decided to make his new home. Real Estate was going to be a nightmare. Peace was going to be a thing of fantasy. Maybe it would be best to leave now and find somewhere less crowded. But where would he even go? The Indigo Plateau was where he had set his mind on moving to. He finally decided he couldn't be here. There were just too many people. What if his Egg hatched in this crowd, and it was something massive?

He turned the way he came and backtracked towards where the bakery had been, finding that the streets here were starting to fill in as well. Not with refugees it seemed, but those that called the Indigo Plateau home. They moved through the streets knowing exactly where they wanted to go, staying out of one another's way while getting to their own destinations like a choreographed dance set on a stage. The sight alone was enough to make Wayland smile a light smile, wishing he was a part of the dance. He moved through the crowd while trying not to draw too much attention to himself, though that was hard to do considering how much he stood out from the rest of the shoppers. He eventually found himself back to the bakery, where he would ask the baker “Excuse me my good man. I seem to be in need of some direction. I'm looking for a um....well...I don't rightly know what you would call them here. But it has to do with” And with that Wayland would produce the Egg from under his cloak, the baker knowing just from that sight what it was Wayland was looking for. After some direction and me not wanting to assume much of anything as to the direction of the rp Wayland would again thank the baker and again leave the store, this time with a destination in mind. He wanted to find the totem carver or whatever they're going to be called for when his Egg did hatch, so he could more easily move the creature around while he was raising it. The baker pointed him towards the artisan market not too far away, and so that's where he would go. A thought would cross the blacksmith's mind as he left the bakery. It would be nice to not have to sleep outside after having made it to town. “Now, where does one find an Inn?” he mused as he began to follow the baker's directions, scratching his chin with his free hand while simultaneously checking the various buildings for signs of being an Inn while also making sure not to bump in to anyone inadvertently. There was so much to do and only a day's worth of daylight to get it all done in.

Riley was overwhelmed with how huge this city was. He had travelled far between the place he grew up and his current home, but the Indigo Plateau surely was on a completely different level. Fortunately he already found something to eat by following his nose - unfortunately he lost orientation by doing so. While chewing on his onigiri he tried to backtrack his way to the inn to find a waymark that would allow him to get back to the directions the inn keeper had given him the night before. He kept walking but after he had finished the second onigiri he started to wonder whether he missed to go left or right at some point.
"This doesn't look like I should be here...", he thought carefully eyeing the people and buildings surrounding him. The walls got visibly dirtier with every meter he proceeded on his way, and the passers started to look at him as if they'd attack and have him for barbecue as soon as he left the main street. Also the sunlight started to fade, and as far as he knew this wasn't a good sign on the Indigo Plateau. Without shame he turned on his heel and walked into the direction he came from.
Five minutes later the street were flooded with sunlight again. Riley had lost quite some time in the unknown labyrinth, the first people already sat outside the taverns, had breakfast and shared the latest gossip. "Have you heard?", he overheard a conversation between two older men playing Go, "some new refugees arrived yesterday. They lost everything because their village was flooded by the nearest river. They only had time to pack the bare necessities before they had to escape." His friend looked up from the board and shook his head. "Man, these stories get worse every month. Yesterday a woman had a breakdown at the major marketplace after someone called the police because she wouldn't stop hysterically spreading the story of how her entire family was abducted by ghosts or whatever. I think she only hoped for help but that didn't help her much, right?"
Riley swallowed hard. While travelling to the Indigo Plateau he had heard similar stories every now and then but since nothing had disturbed his tiny paradise at home yet, he never thought much about it. "
Maybe it's a bigger problem than I thought. How naive was I..?" His good mood vanished. Suddenly he worried deeply about his home, about everyone living there. There was nothing much he could do to prevent a catastrophe or the destruction of the village but at least he could help with evacuation and protecting everyone while they had to wander the country. Homeless. He swallowed hard again and straightened his shoulders. Crying wouldn't help. All he could do at this point was to finish business here quickly and return home as fast as possible. "And maybe I should look out for other helpful emergency medicine as well."
Riley walked over to the two men. "
Excuse me", he tried to sound as respectful as possible, "I'm new to this city and I'm afraid I got lost. I'm looking for the herb market, can you tell me where I can find it, please?" The older men looked at him a bit surprised but when they saw the huge backpack they stopped to wonder and gave him the directions he asked for. Riley thanked them and bowed deeply as he was used to it and continued walking down the street as they had explained it to him.

Last edited:
"There are so many people around here", Kayo muttered and tried to stay as close as possible to her master so she wouldn't get lost. This city scared her now it was crowded. Of course the street weren't empty when they had arrived the night before but apparently it was even worse during daytime. Kayo wasn't sure whether she was able to handle this. Plus having the fragile Pokémon egg with her stressed her out even more. She didn't want to take responsibility for a Pokémon but she also didn't want to be a murderer. Someone bumped into her right shoulder which made her seeking contact to her master's arm with her left shoulder.
"Is everything alright, Kayo-san?", he asked looking at her. She nodded bravely because she didn't want to prove her dad right, but it was hard for her to keep up the mask of the cool, relaxed woman. "
I brought the egg with me and I'm afraid it could break. I didn't know it'd be so crowded", she replied loud enough for him to hear it. Her master frowned at her. "That wasn't a good idea although I think I know why you did that. We should arrive shortly though, the inn keeper told me that the shop moved to another building which is closer to our inn." Finally some good news. "I'm ... we're alright, please don't worry, Master." The continued walking like this for a few more minutes until her master suddenly stopped and Kayo bumped into him. Heavily, because she was looking into a different direction. "Oh no!", she exclaimed because she was sure she heard the eggshell cracking. In supressed panic she fimbled the left sleeve out her belt and reached into it to inspect the egg with her fingers. Kayo held her breath until she realised the shell was as smooth as it had been in the morning when she got up. Her mind had tricked her once again. While tucking in the sleeve again, she looked at the person in front of her but this wasn't the yukata of her master. Panic rose again inside her. She looked at the other people but she didn't see any hint on the familiar person. "M-master?", she squeaked but it was barely loud enough for the person right next to her to hear it. The master said the shop was close, right? So ... she should be able to find it on her own. She inhaled deeply and tried to focus on the buildings around her. Over there was a sign that looked like it could be the right one. She wrapped her right arm around her waist and tried to reach that building by making her way through the crowd without touching too many strange people.

"Excuse me, young man?" It takes you a moment, but eventually, you do realize that the voice has been calling out to you. The voice belongs to a woman and, judging by her appearance, she did not kid when she called you 'young man'. It's clear from the first glace that she must have seen a lot of summers. Her hair is a steely grey, and her face could be placed anywhere from seventy to roughly one hundred and twenty.
She's short but has the body of a woman who's been working all her life. Her shoulders are round and betray that she might have done a lot of work bent or hunched over. She's thin but doesn't seem feeble or weak. Her hands are veiny, the hands of a person who's used to working with them.

Unfazed by the crowd, and the slightly angry glances she gets she pushes her way through the people until she's next to you. Now there's no doubt that she's trying to talk to you. "New in town, right? I know you young folk are all in a hurry, always, but do you have a moment to help an old lady out?" She grins, and you're surprised to see that she still seems to have all her teeth. It some are missing, you can't spot it at least.

"I could help you out too if you're looking for something. Been living here my whole life. So wherever you and your little companion" - she nodds at the egg under your left arm- "need to go, I can tell you the way."

Theo713 Theo713

Despite the close call with the Fearow, the Pokémon does not seem to mind you on its back. And it turns out, the offer for a ride was not a ploy to get you up into the air, just so that it could drop you the moment you were above something unpleasant. Instead, it carries you safely over the trees, and you got a breathtaking view of the land below. Small rivers, a forest, and the road snaking through the tall grass, all that seems to be just flying by.

The Indigo Plateau is coming into sight soon, and you can already tell just how big the city is, how many houses there are, how many people. Traffic seems to be at an all-time high, even this early in the morning.

Apparently, Fearow doesn't care for human crowds. In fact, it even seems to dislike them. It speeds right over the open spaces between the houses, with no intention of landing at all. It ignores food, as well as opportunities for water, and shoots right towards the patch of green on the edge of the plateau. Little twigs and leaves scratch your arms and face as it dives into the green of the small forest, and for a moment Fearow seems to have trouble navigating with its large wings.

Not the most graceful landing, but eventually it lands, seemingly in the middle of the small forest. The moment you are off its brack it craws at you once, affectionately, before rising back up into the sky.

vinn vinn

At first, Wayland didn't pay the voice any mind. It was just that after all. A voice. A voice in a sea of voices. A voice that couldn't possibly be talking to him, because he could no longer claim the title of young anything. So you could imagine his surprise when the owner of the voice appeared next to him and continued to speak, finally earning Wayland's attention. A sudden, short burst of laughter might attract the attention of others nearby nudge nudge wink wink Faelarya Faelarya skycaptain skycaptain vinn vinn NeonFlow NeonFlow , Wayland quickly covering his mouth and almost wiping the laughter away with a clearing of his throat. “Apologies, good lady. It has been some time since anyone has called me young. If you would permit me, it would be my pleasure to aid you.” He took a bow as best he could without hurting himself, making sure to keep the Egg close in arm so he didn't drop it. Straightening up Wayland would grunt a little in pain as the bones in his back could be heard popping. “Can't do that like I used to.” He would tell her unnecessarily as he rubbed his back. He would grin though, offering his arm to his elder. “Shall we be on our way then?

Covenant Covenant

Users who are viewing this thread

Back