Other The Old Folks Home-- Pre-Millennials?

CastoffCaptain

Obsess. Hunt. Manipulate. Repeat.
Just like it says... are there any pre-Millennials (damn, what happened to y'all being called "GenY", anyway) out there?

Post-twenty-somethings. And if so, are you comfortable with letting your RP partners know how old you are?

On another site (Gaia) I had one kid freak out when I told her my age. We were just going to do a non-romantic WWII RP. She was eighteen, I was probably about 35 at the time, and she explained she didn't want to even start the RP due to the "age gap".  And this was in a public thread with strict rules, so it's not like I was going to get creepy on her (not that I would, no matter what).

I mean, when did RP become something other than characters and words?

Well. I have seen this phenomenon a number of times before.  For some people, roleplaying is a way in which they project themselves into a character.  Someone they'd rather be.  They will more often than not end up in a romance situation and experience a sort of love for the opposing character, which they in turn project onto the character's player.  Separating IC from OOC will become progressively harder, until they believe they are in love with their roleplaying partner, which they are not.  They're in love with a character and can't tell the difference anymore.  So, they won't start a roleplay if they become aware of restricting facts about their partner, such as: Age, Marriage, gender, sexual orientation, religion, etc.  

this is just one of many possible reasons, though.  Tome roleplaying a a collaborative effort in creating a story.  

Well. I have seen this phenomenon a number of times before.  For some people, roleplaying is a way in which they project themselves into a character.  Someone they'd rather be.  They will more often than not end up in a romance situation and experience a sort of love for the opposing character, which they in turn project onto the character's player.  Separating IC from OOC will become progressively harder, until they believe they are in love with their roleplaying partner, which they are not.  They're in love with a character and can't tell the difference anymore.  So, they won't start a roleplay if they become aware of restricting facts about their partner, such as: Age, Marriage, gender, sexual orientation, religion, etc.  

this is just one of many possible reasons, though.  Tome roleplaying a a collaborative effort in creating a story.  

Gaia was rife with that crap.

"Hi, I'm bouncybunnyboobie and I like cats, dogs, long walks in my tub, and I'm 19 years old.  I'm in college at the moment, and I loooove listening to K-Pop 'cause its TEH BEST and you should, too!"

Like, dude, I'm not signing up for a dating service. I just want to RP.

That, and I don't really feel like telling you my life story.... not even a fifth of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Roleplay as a whole has always been like this.  Not just Gaia.  I honestly care very little for the age, gender, preferences in home decor, musical interests and so forth of people who want to RP with me.  The only thing I do expect is a decent level of literacy, in the sense that you can write comprehensive sentence and understand most of the English vocabulary, and a good imagination.  I do talk to people OOC, but only as far as friendly chatting.  

Roleplay as a whole has always been like this.  Not just Gaia.  I honestly care very little for the age, gender, preferences in home decor, musical interests and so forth of people who want to RP with me.  The only thing I do expect is a decent level of literacy, in the sense that you can write comprehensive sentence and understand most of the English vocabulary, and a good imagination.  I do talk to people OOC, but only as far as friendly chatting.  

I just seem to remember back in the day when we RPed in a tavern-style setting in a chat room where you could literally see the replies rolling past, that it wasn't this way.  Blahhhh.

I'll take your comprehensive sentences et al and raise you attention to freakin' detail.

Attention to detail can be a blessing and a curse.  They might trail off and start delivering ten pages of purple prose, which adds nothing to the story, save for an accurate account of the displacement of hairs during the stereotypical hair flip of a mary-sue. 

Attention to detail can be a blessing and a curse.  They might trail off and start delivering ten pages of purple prose, which adds nothing to the story, save for an accurate account of the displacement of hairs during the stereotypical hair flip of a mary-sue. 

Mm. I meant more along the lines of: if you write in your post that it's day and they write that it's night, you're doomed. *grin*

Not so much someone going into detail about the number of hangnails on their half-dragon half-vampire half-fairy blend.

Mm. I meant more along the lines of: if you write in your post that it's day and they write that it's night, you're doomed. *grin*

Not so much someone going into detail about the number of hangnails on their half-dragon half-vampire half-fairy blend.

Are you assuming their race?!  I'm pretty sure they were a half-demon, half-vampire, semi-dragon, demi-elf, part werewolf, foxkin, werecat.  

"Hi, I'm bouncybunnyboobie and I like cats, dogs, long walks in my tub, and I'm 19 years old.  I'm in college at the moment, and I loooove listening to K-Pop 'cause its TEH BEST and you should, too!"

Like, dude, I'm not signing up for a dating service. I just want to RP.

Oh my gosh, this made me snort lol - I'm kinda glad I never got in gaia, or whatever it's called.

But honestly, I agree that it's pretty dumb for rp partners to ask your age, unless you're friends with them that talk outside of roleplaying. Like roleplaying is just a game, or like writing a story - You don't need to know everything about someone to roleplay with them, or write with them.

I think a lot of peeps my age (and maybe younger/older people too) forget that they aren't their actual characters. Just because my character swoons over yours, doesn't mean I swoon over you; just cause my character kills yours, doesn't mean I want to kill you too; just cause my character hates yours, doesn't mean that I do. Just because my character's mom died, doesn't mean my actual mom died.

Like, I dunno if that makes sense, but I mean... Roleplaying isn't about getting to know the people behind the characters, it's about getting to know that characters and worlds that they create. But yeah, it's just dumb that girl would freak out about your age, when all you're basically doing is making up a story with her.

I mean, I'm not exactly on the older spectrum of ages, so I've never had the experience of people getting upset over my age; but I don't sit here & ask the other person's age & I don't really expect them to ask me mine; unless we're friends or something, who often talk outside of role-playing and stuff, then it's fine to ask me personal chizz - but if they get mad at your for your age, that's just totally dumb. People have been roleplaying for much longer than that girl has -and if anyone should be annoyed w/ age, it should be the older rpers -  I mean, they're the ones who have to deal with all the newbies & dummies who don't understand how to separate characters from the people controlling them. (Kinda like actors - I'm sure the dude who played Joffery in GOT isn't really a total pyschopath like his character was, & it would be naive of me to think that he was actually that person in real life.)

Like I dunno if that makes sense, but yeah.

My basic input is that - I'm comfortable w/ letting someone know how old I am, as long as they don't associate me w/ my character; And when you asked, ' when did RP become something other than characters and words?' I think for certain people, an rp is more-so based off themselves then on using their imaginations to create a world or person entirely different from themselves; so it becomes more personal for them, which is sometimes seriously difficult for other roleplayers who understand the difference between real life and fantasy, to deal with. I don't think that it's something 'new', it's just that certain roleplayers take it a little too personal.

It's all shit and it'll always be shit.

I'm a millennial and it's been obvious to me ever since I started doing this sorta thing it will always be shit. Who roleplays, really? Big fucking nerds. Big fucking nerds want to use roleplaying as a surrogate since they can't actually romance people in real life. They don't even know where to start.

I wouldn't have it any other way though, so...

I started RPing when I was 16? I think most of my characters were either 17 or 20 now I'm still RPing and my characters I make are still 17 or 20...idc how old u are in RL. I mean if we talk OOC I might ask but that's because I like to know how old you are based on how you write. Like this one girl couldn't follow a simple one liner story and had bad grammar I messaged her and she was 12, well that made a lot of sense so I stopped RPing with her. 

This was interesting as hell to read. I'm 22, don't generally have a problem Rping with anyone honestly 

It's all shit and it'll always be shit.

I'm a millennial and it's been obvious to me ever since I started doing this sorta thing it will always be shit. Who roleplays, really? Big fucking nerds. Big fucking nerds want to use roleplaying as a surrogate since they can't actually romance people in real life. They don't even know where to start.

I wouldn't have it any other way though, so...

I don't think that has anything to do with being a nerd.  What is a 'nerd', anyway?  Here in ye ol' Europe, I've never encountered the contradiction between nerds and "cool/grooy/popular/etc people".  I've also seen all sorts of profiles in RP.  Notably, lonely housewives are the greatest suckers for projection into their fictional lives.  But don't tell Cap I said that, he might get ideas.  Sailor ideas, if you know what I mean.  

I don't think that has anything to do with being a nerd.  What is a 'nerd', anyway?  Here in ye ol' Europe, I've never encountered the contradiction between nerds and "cool/grooy/popular/etc people".  I've also seen all sorts of profiles in RP.  Notably, lonely housewives are the greatest suckers for projection into their fictional lives.  But don't tell Cap I said that, he might get ideas.  Sailor ideas, if you know what I mean.  

To quote a favorite song of mine:

Neglected girls shouldn't worry!

That's what God made sailors for!

If you old-timers will excuse some whippersnapper teenager, I noticed that a few interest checks on this site, specifically 1x1s, that were asking for roleplayers that were over 18. Considering the site's rules, I have to assume that it's because said roleplays have some more mature themes, but it could also mean that they don't want kids who didn't know what they're doing.

If you old-timers will excuse some whippersnapper teenager, I noticed that a few interest checks on this site, specifically 1x1s, that were asking for roleplayers that were over 18. Considering the site's rules, I have to assume that it's because said roleplays have some more mature themes, but it could also mean that they don't want kids who didn't know what they're doing.

So, since having first created this  thread, I've been in a few conversations about the age thing. And yes, some of it might be that people want to do mature themes (that doesn't necessarily track as smut, btw).  And although I'd not have put the "kids who didn't know what they're doing" bit in that manner-- (yes, sometimes I manage diplomacy here and there, despite my foul temper), there can be a difference in how one writes at 16 versus 23, 35, 66.  Does that mean all people under the age of 18 can't convey or understand emotional maturity, empathy, etc or make well-rounded characters? No, but it does happen a little more than people would like to admit.  It's just the nature of gaining experience and getting older.

Also.

Very importantly.

If I'm RPing with someone under 18, say, my niece's age, which is 14, I am not. NOT. Going to make the same OOC dirty jokes/innuendos/potty-mouthed comments that I would with someone who's "of legal age."  If I can't say it to my niece who's family, I'm sure as hell not going to say it to a stranger's daughter/son who's under 18.

Mostly, though, I made this thread to feel oh so less lonely. *weeping gently into a bottle of Becherovka*

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back