• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

The Northern Isle (Closed) - IC

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Other
Here

Onikmey

The wise fool
This first post is to cover expectations. It will be edited as time goes on. If you have a change you'd like to make, please send me a message.

As a GM:
-I will let you all know when I plan on writing next
-I will keep in touch, reading the various threads and discord at least once every 2-4 days.
-I will make some sort of story post (either IC or Lore, as appropriate) at least once every 2 weeks.
-I will answer any questions to the best of my ability.
-If I must break one of the above rules, I will discuss the circumstances with you all ahead of time.
-I will continue to update expectations and incorporate your stories.
-I will respect you all as writers and players.

As a player:
-We will make some sort of IC post at least once every 2 weeks.
-We will keep in touch, letting the group know if we disappear for more than 4 days.
-If we must break one of the above rules, we will discuss circumstances ahead of time.
-We will respect the other members of this community as writers and players.

Content for this thread:
- Will only include IC material (no OOC, Dice rolls, or other unnecessary content)
- Will follow decent grammar
- Will add to plot, setting, or characters
- Will be about 2 paragraphs in length at minimum
- Will not include colored dialogue.

Last edited:
Arrtani Ocean - Day 22
For a moment there was nothing but dreams, darkness, and the soft rocking of the ship. For a moment the sailors could rest their aching bones and sore muscles. For a moment they could forget about the terrible dangers of Winter's Run; about mindless work that never ended; about cramped living space and the stench of too many people. For a moment, they could sleep. They were safe; surrounded by dreams, darkness, and the soft rocking of the ship. With a loud CRACK the moment ended.

Standing in the doorway of the sleeping quarters was helmsman Torrim. Standing around 2 meters tall, the man was built like an ox and carried a hefty spear in his right hand. He sported a large bushy beard as grey and wild as an Arrtani storm. There was just enough time to notice the thick round shield slung over his shoulder before - CRACK. His spear slammed into the ground once again.

"Sun's a rising!" He boomed, "And this sorry lot better be hard at work in the next twenty minutes! Caolan's needed topside today, so if you're going to eat.... do it now."

The day crew began to grumble in the darkness, rolling out of their hammocks and onto the floor. A few washed themselves with what little water they had, while others simply gathered their tools and left to find Caolan. The day had begun.

Having been in only a light sleep - a habit borne from the time she'd spent sleeping on the streets as Anos-Narak, in which there were frequently times when one needed to be able wake up very quickly - Delnoa was shaken awake as soon as she heard the first crack of the spear against the deck. Lifting her head up, rubbing her eyes and looking over the edge of the hammock, the half-elf quickly recognized the massive and imposing figure stood in the doorway as Torrim, even before he banged his spear down again and let loose his booming voice.

Before the helmsman had finished speaking, Delnoa had let out a yawn, and then sat herself up and swung her legs over the edge of her hammock, before pushing her backside off it and dropping to the floor. Having gone to sleep in her tunic and breeches, she currently had little to worry about when it came to feminine modesty, and she swiftly pulled on her leather boots, gauntlets, jacket and belt, within which her rapier and two daggers were sheathed. She didn't bother with the shortbow and quiver that rested near her hammock; there'd be no need for them unless a pirate ship was spotted on the horizon, and it would take little time for her to run back down to the sleeping areas and grab them if that scenario came to pass.

Having gotten herself ready, Delnoa walked towards the door while looking over her shoulder to see how everyone else was doing with regards to waking up, with particular interest paid towards the other members of her little group of adventurers.

[class=out]
background-image:url('https://i.pinimg.com/originals/7b/26/38/7b263854c5c6211b615df171f9773422.png');
background-size:50%;
border-radius:25px;
border:4px dashed gold;
[/class]
[class=text]
margin:0 auto;
text-align:center;
width:90%;
border:5px solid black;
background-color:white;
color:black;
[/class]

[div class=out]
[div class=text]
DelRLfYVMAAJNxZ.jpg
Howler
The sea is a scary thing. It is one vast, endless puddle. It is cleaner than a puddle or swamp water, yes, but you can't see through it either because of just how deep it is. Water that is very long and very deep has many nasty things. When I was littler, my mommy and daddy told me about the scary bogbears in the woods and the evil, powerful former ruler of the forest who would come and get me if I was naughty or ran into the forest without them. Compared to the ocean, the ocean that was so deep and large you couldn't see, which had so much water but you couldn't drink and which would make one's feathers soggy and heavy, the forest was actually pretty small. So, I wondered, what kind of things could live in here? If the simple, friendly woods had bogbears and evil mages, what sort of terrible things could be hiding in the water? If you thought about it, it only made sense that, as I came to find out in my brief sea journeys, sailors and pirates alike had codes and rules. For instance there was a rule about waking up early. There were rules about who got to speak when or switch tasks when. There were rules about eating and rules abotu what to do in case of storms.

The smell of the floor in which I was lying down to attempt to sleep (just barely managing any) suggested that perhaps a new rule would be added. Specifically aout what do when someone is afraid of the ocean, AND gets seasick with ease. One of the crew members, standing above me, had already noticed the smell and offered me some water to clean up that mushy paste "decorating" my feathers. More of it flooded to my mouth at the mere sight of that bucket. Even if we arrived soon, this would still be a long journey.

Still, I couldn't very well go around like this. Disgusting as it might be, I forced myself to swallow the yucky thing back into my stomach. I looked down. My rugged, patchworked clothes had never been that clean, but they were on a new level of smelly now. A short belt couple of my daggers, with a third one hidden deeper. Ofthe first two, only the handle of one had been contaminated. The dars were on my back, so unless I rolled in my sleep, unlikely given the floor, they were probably safe. It was a relief knowing I left most of my items a little further into the room next to my backpack, so for the most part they had not been dirtied. It was nonetheless still a bit hard to get up, even with the help of the crew member who was visibly avoiding touching any of the dirtied feathers, and alreayd fearing the idea of having to clean up the mess I made.

"-(stranger1)-My bad." I told the sailor.

-(VOICE)- indicates the voice being used in the dialogue
Stranger1: A male somewhat nasalated voice, stretching lower pitched vowels such as "u", "o" and some "a"s.
[/div]
[/div]

Maybe, he should’ve worked harder to find a comfortable ship? Sure, sleeping in a hammock as it sways along with the waves is rustic, but the entire living situation was quite austere. Even after twenty days (give or take!) of sailing, Lord Ayre Ravarel still hadn’t developed “sea legs” or an “iron stomach.” The rude awakening wasn’t something new, but he wished they’ve taken his suggestions to heart. It wouldn’t hurt to have something a bit more pleasant to greet the day rather than starting out grim and crestfallen.

Rising from the hammock, strands of sandy hair clung to his sweaty brow. The usual sunny disposition was just as green as algae. Was it the measly meal from last night? Or, as the rocking finally lost its magic? “I will… (burp)... will be up in a...” the “elf” wasn’t able to get a complete sentence out. Still in a loose tunic and breeches, he bolted out of the hammock (nearly knocking into a bunk mate or two) and dashed as quickly as he could up and out to the deck. Just in the nick of time, his head was just over the railing and watching what little hope of an easy day join the briny sea below.

Once his stomach was emptied out, the nobleman hugged the railing of the ship for a brief respite. Already, he was making future plans. To Hell with experiencing a life as a sailor! He’d rather be a passenger on a luxury ship right now… maybe hang out with the hunky sailors that way? Instead, he had little time to please the world with his visage. A sigh escaped as Ayre forced himself away from the railing and back to the sleeping quarters.

A little spell work and prep talk helped pull some of the green and salty crust off his features. Dressed in traveling clothes, the “elf” was (at least) decent. Most of his heavy gear was left near his hammock as he turned at the heel to leave (with some of his rations in hand). Only, something caught his attention. The kenku was in the same boat as him, unable to stomach this journey. Ayre’s stomach grumbled and cried out. If only he could banish the rest of the green off his features. Taking a deep breath, the “elf” moved towards Howler and the sailor. “Is there (hyrup!)... excuse me. Is there anything I can do for you? I can see if someone has any medicinal remedies to settle our stomachs,” Ayre tried to retain his regal form, but it was hard when he’s breaking out in a cold sweat and trying not to revisit the deck railings anytime soon.

It was irritating - feeling himself like a little baby for at least half of the trip. Numis hated cold, he hated doing nothing, and he hated closed spaces. Ships also never made him squeal of joy. He didn't get seasick, or was afraid of water like his little feathery friend. After all, he had used them previously, and used them a lot - an obligation of every person living at the sea side in a trading empire. First time it was awful, him spending his time hanging over the rails, groaning as he tried to convince his body that there was no breakfasts or suppers to show him anymore. The second time was even worse, anticipation of future suffering making him nauseous even when he was standing at the pier. Third was... better. His body was ready for the pitching, and it went well. It was getting better and better with each new trip. The sea dogs laughed and said they'll make a real sailor out of him. Numis didn't know if he wanted to be a sailor. Maybe, if they did, he thought, he would be of any use here.

But that wasn't the reason why he hated sailing that much. It was, surprisingly enough, the sleep. Last week was the only one he could get enough of it. His horns and scales, and the back ridge always hot stuck in the hammock, him ending up like a poor fish in the net every morning. He tried to sleep on the floor, but the rocking of the boat made him roll all over the deck, like a sack of potatoes. He was lucky to have Nour at his side, even if he felt himself like a little baby in the hands of a babysitter with the man, when the middle-aged half-blood started coming up with ideas of how to fight this unfortunate 'lack of accommodation' as he put it. In the end, the way out was simple. Since they travelled, the amounts of food were decreasing, and thus, empty sacks and knots could be found which were used as a substitute for a thick mattress on the hammock, so no scales or spikes littering the dragonborn's body would get stuck and tear the hammock apart. It was an easy solution, but this cold care (and Numis had no other words to describe it) from his servant embarrassed him, making the man try and avoid Nour. Which, come to think of it, was easy. Everyone should've been working on the ship. Nour, not being a spring chicken any more, but having high mental capacities, spent most of his time helping with navigation and rations, so no one really saw him that much, being all surrounded by books, maps, inks, and numbers only he could understand. Shalaia was promptly given to the ship's cook, to keep her safe and warm - ships never had a lot of women, and Numis was worried about a young, impressionable girl, trying to cut her communications with the crew as much as he could. She wasn't the best in cooking, but she, at least, was enthusiastic enough and easy to take criticism to obey the cook's orders... at least after she stopped being seasick. And the reptile's protégé, Siham (introduced only as hamil Hatun, as well as Ra was introduces only as faris Numis, taking certain pride in their heritage) was being kept close to his master, just because the little man had to learn. On the ship, it was mostly a lesson of patience. They didn't have anything else to do than look after the waters in case tritons or mermaids decide to attack, and carry heavy things around. And pest control, of course.

When Numis rolled out of his hammock, and turned to it, fixing the improvised spike-proof mattress, he had heard scratching behind him too familiar to ignore - as if someone was drumming over the deck with rock-made sticks. His motion was swift and reflex, as he slammed the tail over the source of noise, and only then turned around, to see a young rat, stunned, lying on her side, her paws twitching, thin string of blood coming out of her nose. A touching sight for some tree-huggers, but for the dragonborn it was more akin to a snack. He turned around, leaning down, as if in some sort of a fancy bow, grabbing the rat and he turned, and in the same motion shoving it into his mouth, large teeth cracking the bones and milling them into mash. He swallowed almost without chewing, just to ensure the creature was dead or at least incapacitated enough. He once swallowed a pigeon alive, and oh, the sensation of its claws and beak scratching at his throat was unbearable. With his reflex of eating small animals, he was sure that the crew was happy and surprised the amount of rats decreased during the travel... although the cook still couldn't get where his cat had disappeared. That was a humiliating thing to talk about, so Numis kept it a secret.

He took his time before walking out of the hold, nodding to his hamil as a way of a greeting, and walking onto the deck. It was cold, but the man's shirt was undone, as he looked around, spotted the sun, and turned towards it, letting his obsidian-black chest plates absorb the rays, feeling the weird mix of cold and heat at the same time. He closed his eyes, filtering out the sounds, enjoying the sensation. His blue scales glittered, albeit not as clear as usual - the ship's food was bad enough for him to lose his gloss in these last few dozen days, and it irritated him just a little bit. He stood there, tail waving slowly in an opposite motion from the ship's rocking to keep balance, waiting for any order that might have been given to get to work. Without it, he thought, there was no need for the two heavy lifters on the deck. He opened one eye, scanning the deck for his companions.

Last edited:
Maeris's night had been peaceful and restful. This had been a welcome change - she had not been faring well out on the sea, and more than once had been laughed at by the experienced sailors for upchucking her meals over the banister. Fortunately, she was not alone in this issue. In fact, as she hopped out of her hammock, whistling a gentle tune, her eyes fell onto a queasy-looking Ayre and a worse-off Howler. Smothering a laugh behind her hand, she wrestled her hair into a messy bun and, while tying a leather cord around the mess, made her way over to the two.

"Oh dear, are you two okay?" she asked, trying not to sound too amused. She'd been in the same boat (heh) before, after all. Maeris tutted and took out her lute, playing a few quick notes. The music quite literally washed over Howler's soiled clothes, lifting the vomit from the fabric and making it disappear in a purple puff of smoke and sparkles. "There, now." Giving the kenku child a quick scritch of the feathers, she looked up at Ayre with a grin. "Need me to clean you as well?" she teased.

[class=out]
background-image:url('https://i.pinimg.com/originals/7b/26/38/7b263854c5c6211b615df171f9773422.png');
[/class]
[class=text]
[/class]

[div class=out]
[div class=text]
DelRLfYVMAAJNxZ.jpg
Howler
As I grew more awake, the stench only seemed to be getting worse. I wasn't sure what to do. Should I use magic? I did know a spell that could maybe help, but I wasn't sure how to do it at all... Ah, where was Ra when you needed him? He left already? It looked as if I might need the bucket....err, buckets, after all. For water and potential new supplies of yucky alike.

At that point, one of our elven (or rather, semi-elven) companions approached me. Considering the similar stench, if perhaps a little more flowery coming from his part (picture someone dropping perfume on the puke), I could imagine we were in a peculiar type of comraderie in this situation. They were kind enough to consider me too, and they offered to fetch some remedies for our tummies. I didn't have the energy of the focus at this point to needlessly voice an answer, so I simply nodded hard instead.

Before we were done with any of that, however, Maeris made her appearance. She answered my earlier doubts about whether I could use magic to fix this situation by using magic of her own to remove the yucky from my precious clothes, and rubbed my feathers. Despite how nice it felt, I almost expected Maeris to name some price for either them or me, not that the halfling actually did. I looked just slightly up to them, and smiled the best a kenku can smile with their beak.

"-(Maeris)-There, now. -(Ra)- Thanks, I guess." I told her, then opened my arms in her direction and gave a tiny leap to hug Maeris, who had at least fixed the stench a little, and my clothes too! Maybe I would try doing what they did to clean the floor. After all, I really didn't want to....Ah, no. A rumble in my stomach and an increasingly familiar sensation in my mouth proved the most important problem wasn't take care of yet: The boat, the ocean were still all around me. Poopies.

Stranger1: A male somewhat nasalated voice, stretching lower pitched vowels such as "u", "o" and some "a"s.
Ra: Ra Numi's voice
Maeris: Maeris Rosebush's voice
[/div]
[/div]

Tags: MISTER UN. 0W3N MISTER UN. 0W3N kniightofspace kniightofspace
Mentions: kevintheradioguy kevintheradioguy

Some of the other members of her group were unable to handle the sea. Howler looked to have been rolling around in a pile of vomit, and Ayre ran past with a look on his face that suggested he was about to puke. Surprisingly, Maeris was also doing quite well, even using her musical magic to get Howler cleaned up. Numis seemed to be doing better than the kenku and the elf, although Delnoa narrowed her eyes in mild disgust when she saw the dragonborn grab a rat from the ground and pop it straight into his mouth like he was an animal. That may have been fine for Numis, but Delnoa had never stooped to the level of grabbing small game and eating it raw, even on her worst days.

Shaking her head, Delnoa left to head up onto the deck, grabbing some food and quickly eating it on the way. The chill hit her as soon as she stepped outside, making her shiver, and reminding her of Anos-Narak during the winter months. And as the ship traveled ever further north, she knew the temperature was only going to drop. She reminded herself that she was on this ship to travel to Kal'Haem, where the traitor who had bought down her thieves guild was supposedly hiding, and that made it a bit easier to bear the cold. Plus, it was at least nice to get out from the ship's tight bowels and into the fresh air.

With a grimace, she noticed that the sails of the ship were lying still and limp. There was no wind, and depending on how long this lasted, the journey could end up taking more time than expected. Out of curiosity, she walked over to the starboard railing of the ship and looked for any other vessels - or anything else of interest - out over the horizon. Some kind of faint dark splotch that was barely visible over the horizon caught her attention, but she could not for the life of her make out what it was, and she turned away, thinking that whoever was in the crow's nest would be able to see it if it got closer.

Last edited:
Felt like home - The cold sensation of the wind & misty air that hit the Half-Orc's body was similar to how it was in his homeland, the crew was heading north and the change in temperature was present ever since people begun to get unsettle by it but Cuchulain was used to such cold and even more so, he had no need to put his shirt on as he wrapped up his belts and cloaks around his waist as he sat down in the little cabin which the group would be staying in. He laid down in his hammock and rested as best as he could which was difficult given that his weight strained it leading to it breaking a couple of times that he had to now sleep on the floor... Which was never comfortable but it was better than laying down on stone like he used to. The trip was going to be long and so he had to keep himself rested or he'll quickly become useless during battle. One of the things he was suppose to be good at, Resting ease and simply on the floor that Cuchulain thought about and guess how everyone is taking in sailing for a bit. Some of them couldn't handle the sea as they emptied their stomachs into the water for the fish whilst others were trying to get used to environment as the mixture of tight space, cold & counterbalancing heat from the sun & the depths from below gave a sense of unease.

The sailors were experienced and looked to have rumbled with a couple beast from the sea more than once or twice. Hearing the sounds of a loud thud which caused Cuchulain to open his eyes as he heard the sounds of eating which the Dragonborn had then devoured a rat who was making noise, that's something if anything that wasn't to be seen from a 'knight.' Ba, that's a human's idea of that shite. Everyone else had a different idea of a knight along with different races which the hulking half-orc sat up and yawned aloud that he slowly stood up whilst the Dragonborn managed to leave which he rolled his shoulders and neck as he walked to the door of the hold and exited, heading up to the deck as he grabbed his greatsword and greatclub for some sort of cleaning using his furred cloak. It was a bear-pelt along with wolf hide woven into it so that's why it was good at cleaning his weapons.

Walking on the deck as he yawned once again, the sun hit his body perfectly and the feeling was amazing which he smiled slightly which his large maw of sharp teeth and two large tusks could be seen as Cuchulain traveled closer to the side of the ship which he took a breath in and exhaled as he then looked down to see the halfing who liked music & the Kenku who had vomit on her clothing, damn shame cause vomit was annoying whenever you're at sea but even more so if it gets on clothing only for the vomit to vanish.... Magic was strange and weird.... That the Half-Orc stand down and begun to clean his weapons which he said towards little Howler "Sea's been unkind to ya, Lass?" Picking up his Greatclub with one hand as he breathed onto it and whipping off some dust as he looked it before spitting on it which he wipped it down with his furred cloak, awaiting to a respond.

Interactions: Idea Idea
Mentions: kniightofspace kniightofspace , kevintheradioguy kevintheradioguy

Maeris couldn't help but laugh as the small kenku launched herself at her, though she did try to gently pull her lute away from under her so it could be safely swung onto her back. She supported Howler with two hands under her feathery butt, thanking the gods not for the first time that bird bones were hollow and Howler didn't weigh a thing.

"It is no trouble, my little bird friend," she said bemusedly. "Can't have you stinking up the entire boat, now can we?"

Maeris gave a passing nod to Delnoa, who headed above deck, then started to make her way in that direction as well. "Come, some fresh air will do us good. You too," she continued to Ayre. "Too stuffy in here, and it still smells rank."

Above deck, they were met by the half-orc member of their party, who also commented on Howler's state of being. Maeris gave a brief chuckle.

"Don't think it's been kind to any of us so far," she said, finally lowering the kenku down to the ground. Her arms were starting to ache from even her diminutive form. "Though you seem to be doing alright."
--

Mentions: jaydude jaydude
Interactions: Idea Idea , Rage Rage , MISTER UN. 0W3N MISTER UN. 0W3N

[class=out]
[/class]
[class=text]
[/class]

[div class=out]
[div class=text]
DelRLfYVMAAJNxZ.jpg
Howler
I wasn't sure whether to nod or shake my head in response to Maeris's question so I ended up doing both. Indeed, it would be pretty bad if the boat started smelling like the streets from all the way back then. I might start having bad dreams if that was the case. Well, it wasn't like I liked being on the boat anyway. After all, the boats were where the sea was, and so if I was on the boat, there was sea nearby. Despite that, I couldn't really ignore Maeri's command after he was so kind as to help me. I gulped, feeling a certain dryness in it from the salty, semi-stagnant air of the lower parts of the ship, and the only remaining trace of the fact I dropped all that yuck out of my mouth earlier. I followed Maeris close behind, hiding myself behind her her back and keeping my gaze down so that I wasn't met with the terrifying sight of that huge blue deadly expanse.

I was greeted by another familiar voice as we reached the deck. While my talons kept clutching the wood beneath them harder and harder, leaving marks that would probably never leave, and my feather were already itchy and my arms shaking from the breeze and the fear, I was thankful for the momentary relief in which that loud, thick voice drowned out the sound of the small waves crashing against the ship as if subtly threatening us arrogant mortals daring to cross it. I wanted to hear it more.

"-(Cuchulain)- Unkind to ya, lass?" I parroted back his actual own words, nodding yes. "-(Maeris)-Come, fresh air will do us good."

Stranger2:
Cuchulain: Cuchulain's voice
[/div]
[/div]

Interacting With: kniightofspace kniightofspace Rage Rage
Mentions:

Cuchulain watched as the scared little Kenku tried her best to stay as far as away from the water which was much harder than said that he gained a small smirk when she leap at the crew's musical loving and adorable halfing which she laughed at the young female's actions. The smell of one upchucking their stomach out onto themselves or the wood had finally left the air which Cuchulain sniffed heavily the scent of salty water and brisk mist hit his nostrils dead on and he closed his eyes as the smell takes him back to home whenever his clansmen went on their fishing trips for winter and the wildlife had been hunted down by the monsters or other clans for food, this made him adjust his body so he could get a view of the vast blue that he grinned even more that he noticed that the Halfing was beginning to speak to the little girl who clung to her like she was her mother.

As he heard the Halfing speak with the Kenku, the half-orc looked at his greatclub which he picked up to look at as he nodded at his cleaning. It was much easier to clean compared to his sword that he placed to his side only to hear the words coming from the halfing which he looked up from his cleaning to respond which he placed a hand onto his chin and with a grin spoke as he said " 'ell. I suppose it's from me homeland, Song Lassy." It was a little nick-name that Cuchulain gave to the Halfing which he continued by saying "I feel for most of ya 'owever, haven't seen some folks emptied out der stomachs at sea since i was a babe." Speaking about that little experience that he smiled at his fellow music lover as he looked over at the Kenku to see that she was hidden behind the Halfing which got an even greater chuckle which stopped as he heard speak to him.

A thunderous chuckled erupted from the half-orc's throat as he heard the scared bird-girl use his own words as he raised his sword alittle bit higher to look at it's blade, it still had some dust on it and it didn't shine yet so it was back to clean which he brought it down on it's side to his lap and kept wiping off the specks of unclean patches across it's blade. Cuchulain then looked towards Kenku which he then said "So. You fear da great blue den?" Standing up as he stretched out his arms and chest which he walked over and crouched down before the two petite girls which he then asked "Ya two want to see one 'ell of sight? Don't worry, little one. I'll make sure you're safe.... If i couldn't den da stupid scalie over der." Pointing towards Ra which he continued by saying "Wouldn't let me 'ear da end of it and try to fight me too." Standing straight up as he looked across the occean and smiled at the amount of space & freedom that it helded.

Mentions: N/A
Interactions: Idea Idea kniightofspace kniightofspace kevintheradioguy kevintheradioguy

Arrtani Ocean - Day 22 - Rising Suns
Above decks, the world itself was at peace. Foresail and mainsail hung limp, as if tired of sailing. A dark purple tiefling idly watched from the crow's nest above, searching for something. The two suns lazily floated above the horizon as the silver-blue sea sat silent. No breeze stirred the chill winter air. No ice-covered land hid in the distance. There was only the sea, the sky, and the cold.

Captain Shae Perdita scowled from her place at the helm. The air was too still. The sea was too calm. They were still 2 days from Winter's Run, but in this thrice-cursed weather it could easily be four. And they still had a weeks worth of travel through icy crags and rushing waters ahead of them. The run was littered with strange beasts and bandit clans, all eager to stop a Stormy Sailor caravan if it led to a decent meal. Shae couldn't afford any more delays. They needed to break free of Winter's Run before it froze solid.

Her mood seemed to lift a bit when a shock of white untamed hair appeared on deck. It was a wood elf with sallow skin and a gaunt figure. His eyes were a peculiar grey flecked with forest green. His hands were long and bony, calloused but nimble. He whistled through crooked teeth, and then broke into a similar smile.

"Looks like a slow day to me." He stated with a drawl. "probably won't see no change til late this evenin'."

The elf was Caolan, ship's cook, and resident druid. He cracked his knuckles and glanced over the gathering of new-bloods on deck.

"Y'all the sail-crew today? Or just gettin' some air before fixin' holes and pumpin' water below?" He asked, looking the party over. "Don't matter to me. But if you're on sail you may want to get in position. We'll see if we can conjure up some wind."

[class=out]
[/class]
[class=text]
[/class]

[div class=out]
[div class=text]
DelRLfYVMAAJNxZ.jpg
Howler
The half-orc's laughter and voice returned, once again drowning out the sound of the sea. Though it was rough, and at times I didn't understand everything he said, I once again felt grateful to have him around in these circumstances. My eyes widened as the half-orc somehow found out all on his own that I was afraid of the sea. How did he do that? Was it magic of some kind? I thought he thought with his incredible strength! What kind of spell was it? Before any of these questions were answered the seemingly not only really strong but also partially magical person clutched near me and Maeris, offering to show us one hell of a sight. What kind of si-

I violently shook my head no, perhaps even hitting Maeris with my beak on accident, and retreated further behind her back (though, being a halfling, it was inevitable part of me remained visible). Cuchulain attempted to smoothen the offer by guaranting mine and Maeri's safety, going so far as to point to bibro Ra Numis. I was scared, but now I was also hopeful and happy to see him. I left the safety of Maeri's back, hesitant at first and throwing occasional glances at Cuchulain to be sure he didn't try to grab him or anything while I went to talk to Ra, but before I could go there, another voice approached us. It was the elven captain of the ship, Caolan. He inquired whether we were going to be working as the sail crew today or fixing holes and pumping water. I took one more glance at that near-infinite sight of blue, and changed course to the captain's front.

"-(Caolan)- Sail!"I mimicked. The last thing I wanted to be touching in this boat was any water that was outside of a pouch.

Stranger2:
Cuchulain: Cuchulain's voice
Caolan: Captain Coalan's voice
[/div]
[/div]

Interacting With: Rage Rage kniightofspace kniightofspace Onikmey Onikmey
Mentions: kevintheradioguy kevintheradioguy

Looking around, Delnoa observed the conversation going on between Maeris, Cuchulain and Howler, as well as the appearance of the captain and Caolan. The wood elf's presence invoked mixed feelings in her. On the one hand, there was no denying that he knew how to do his job. But on the other hand, Delnoa's elven father had impregnated her mother and - as far as Delnoa knew - made no attempts to deal with the consequences of his extramarital congress. As a result of this, Delnoa had been dumped on the steps of that orphanage in Anos-Narak by her mother, abandoned and unwanted. The whole experience had rather soured her opinion on elves; at best, she considered them to be highly overrated in terms of wisdom, nobility and enlightenment.

"Just waiting for orders, sir. We were told to be hard at work within twenty minutes, and that you were needed topside. Nothing more than that." Delnoa replied once Caolan had put his questions to the party. She glanced towards Howler, who was utterly dwarfed by the massive form of Cuchulain, and had answered the cook by mimicking his voice. The speech patterns of Kenku - based as they were upon imitating the speech of others - were never going to stop sounding strange to Delnoa. They couldn't have learned to speak the same way others did...why? Not that she would hold it against Howler, of course.

Maeris held Howler close to herself as the little kenku ducked behind her, and she laughed at Cuchulain. "What kinda sight?" she asked, cocking her head curiously. Then, however, her attention was drawn towards the wood elven cook coming up on deck.

She gave the man a cheery wave and a bright smile. "Sails for me, I think." No use getting more water in her face if she could help it. Honestly, she'd much rather sit on the bow of the ship and enjoy the view - manual labour had never been her thing that much. But, well, it wasn't like she had much choice in the matter right now.

Cuchulain watched as the small and still frighten bird girl spoke back to up with a response that he would expect, she would refuse to anything that involved the sea and it was present by her facial expressions along with body language.... Hmmmmmm, maybe it came from her interactions with her family.... What could it possible make someone be frighten by the sea so much? His wandering thoughts travels all around his skull as Cuchulain had started to be thinking about why a such a girl acted in such a manner where a pondering facial expression appeared onto his face that he rubbed his chin until his ears perked up at hearing the words coming from a man who held a commendable position, an elven man came up.

Raising a hand up high which he then told the Elf druid which he said to Druid "Headin' down in a time or two, Lad." Turning his head to the halfing & the younger girl that he knelled down to both of them that he put his large hand upon the young Kenku which he petted her slightly before standing up. The hulking half-orc then said "You lasses take care... I'll be back.~" A large smile appeared onto his face as grabbed his greatclub that he placed on his hip before grabbing his greatsword, fixing his outfit as the top piece was now on. Cuchulain then entered back into the boat.

Interactions: Onikmey Onikmey , Idea Idea kniightofspace kniightofspace
Mentions: jaydude jaydude

Arrtani Ocean - Day 22 - Rising Suns

The wiry elf laughed as the little bird cried out to sail. He leaned against the woodwork, whistling a whimsical tune as the crew took their positions. In time, that tune became a song, elvish in nature. It's lilting tones danced through the air as his nimble fingers began to flick, tap, and flutter. And for a moment, the sails did the same. The thick sheets began to shift, pulling forward ever so slightly. The ship inched forward, sending ripples across the water. It wasn't fast, but it was moving.

Below decks, water was pooling as it did every morning. Small parasites burrowed into the wooden hull, searching for food and protection from their many predators. The sea filled the holes, and slowly found its way into the ship. Every day the holes would be fixed and the water would be pumped out of the ship. And every day they would return. Such was the life on an Arrtani Ship.

Caolan made no response to Delnoa's words, and started to hum a song. One might have assumed that he was going to lead into a sea shanty, but the humming and the finger movements with which he accompanied it with caused the ship's sails to flutter, as if a small breeze had come into existence and started blowing against them, pushing the ship forward. It wasn't much, but it was something.

Cuchulain went down to assist in dealing with the ever-present issue of water seeping into the ship's bowels, while Howler and Maeris opted to go and help with the sails, with Delnoa following them. Climbing up into the rigging to help stow and unfurl the sails was something that had come naturally to the half-elf, who had spent the best part of her life scaling buildings to reach an open window, a balcony door, or any other kind of opening to whatever treasures might lie inside. She possessed not only the athletic abilities, but also the nerve to climb up to a height in which a careless slip could lead to a long fall and impact injuries, even if one were to hit the surface of the sea. As a result, she felt no small amount of pride for being able to find her own niche of sorts on the ship.

"Hey you two. Bit of a dull day today, wouldn't you agree?" She called out to Howler and Maeris with a smile from the rigging, referring to the current lack of natural wind.

Interactions: Idea Idea and kniightofspace kniightofspace .

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back