• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy The Maw (super-high-fantasy)

WaywardJester

Discord Server

Classic story of people brought into a fantasy realm to save it from total destruction.

General Plot:
The Maw is upon the world of Espya. A great black rent in the sky that threatens to grow too large for the natural magic of Espya to hold it back. And when it finally breaks the barrier, it will collapse on the world and end everything. There are those of the Dark who worship the Maw like a God, claiming it the Harbinger God of end times. A powerful sorcerer has laid claim to the Bare Mountains and their hidden secrets of dark magic. With this new magic, he tapped into the power of the Maw and summoned forces from beyond the realm of the living to hasten the breach of the barrier. He now builds an army of dark creatures to assault the lands of Espya and bring forth the descent of the Maw. Only the Pillars of Light stand a chance at culling this threat and saving Espya from total annihilation. Through deep magic they have made a plea to the Universe itself and reached across all time and space to find individuals to be champions for the Light and put an end to this sorcerer and the Maw.

This may seem like a daunting concept but I know we can do this. This is probably the most freedom in character creation I've ever allowed in a thread I created but it's time for something different.

- This is a super-high-fantasy setting. Basically if Lord of the Rings, Final Fantasy and all of DC & Marvel were shoved in a blender...this is it. Airships, all rpg races, technology and magic, guns and swords, pirates and robots, lasers and super powers. You name it, you probably have access to it.

- You character is from our modern day and they got poofed into this new world. While in Espya, your character now has access to latent magical abilities that were dormant within them.

- I'm not big on posting order, only that you don't spam posts. Let at least 2 or 3 people post before you respond again.

- There will be a Discord to assist in flushing out story ideas and characters, announcements for when character pages and the IC threads will be up, but only if this gets at least 6 dedicated RPers.

- This is not closed after the first 6 arrive. If the universe sees fit to add more people in Espya, then so be it!

This story is ambitious but it has plenty of room to fill out and shape itself accordingly. It's as much my story as it is yours! So help me tell it!

Last edited:
This is interesting. I presume the regular anti-OP measurements are going to be taken?

Indeed. It's more the variety that's available than then OP Godliness. All stuff we can flesh out later. This is really just my bare-bones idea at 3am when I should've been asleep lol but it felt so right so I had to post and see if interests pops up.

So if I am reading this right, all of our characters are fishes out of water in this setting. We would all have no prior experience with whatever powers we would have. We would also be used to modern living, not the dangerous high fantasy environment they were dropped into.

I'm interested to say the least.

So if I am reading this right, all of our characters are fishes out of water in this setting. We would all have no prior experience with whatever powers we would have. We would also be used to modern living, not the dangerous high fantasy environment they were dropped into.

I'm interested to say the least.

Yes, yes and yes. Welcome aboard!

Hm. I'm definitely interested. What kind of magic were you thinking?

That's the fun part, whatever you can think of as long as it isn't game breaking God-tier status. Got a favorite X-Men or avengers power you've been itching to scratch with your own unique character? Put them here. Like Avatar last air bender type universe? Boom! Go for it. It can be as subtle or as flamboyant as you want so long as it doesn't break the game and no one else can work with it. Rather use alchemy type spells, throwing vials of concoctions that cause magic-like affects? Awesome! Be creative and fair and I'll probably accept whatever you come up with.

These questions will help form this rp into something solid. Looks like a full cast of interest here so I'll start working on a discord once I'm off work and get some family time in. It'll be up probably tomorrow at the latest.

I don't really see a reason to close this off yet so if more want to join, the merrier. This will be a big world, we need to fill it.

Not to diminish your excitement, but this seems like it would quickly spin wildly out of control... Any plans to reign it in some?

Not to diminish your excitement, but this seems like it would quickly spin wildly out of control... Any plans to reign it in some?

There are ways you could conceivably mitigate that problem.

For example, our characters are both dropped into this world and gaining these powers at the same time. We are talking about a lot of disorientation and inexperience. I highly doubt that a character could immediately get a handle on whatever abilities they have.

Another thing we could do is dial back powers and have them be trained over time. Let's say you used superman as a template for instance. Immediately you could think that is far too op. However it is still workable.

Superman receives power from the sun. Perhaps the rp version doesnt absorb and retain sunlight as well as the original comic book character. Perhaps using the powers outside of direct sunlight costs reserves that need to be replenished.

Let's say the various powers, the speed, the invulnerability, the flight, ect all cost towards the solar reserves. It would behoove the character to pace himself, only using as much as he needs in a given fight. The stronger the character makes one of his powers, the more it drains.

Over time, the character can build up the power like a muscle.

Objectively speaking, much weaker than the original Superman, however it has a lot of rp potential that you wouldn't normally think if it was just "he has the powers of superman."

I like the whole idea of random people being given an incredible amount of power that they don't know how to use yet. It makes sense, at least to me, in this setting since everyone's eventually going to be OP af. A massive amount of power for what was once a normal person would be beyond their scope of comprehension, and I suppose it'll take time for them to come to grasps with their abilities. A la Zod in Man of Steel, only over a longer period of time.

That, and making it somewhat like a muscle, overreaching can have some serious consequences. Perhaps even fatal ones, because they're bodies and minds just aren't exactly used to that much power yet.

Totally understand. Kinda felt that way when I woke up this morning thinking, "what the hell did I just try to start?" But the more I think on it all the more it all starts coming together in my head.

I know I cant just let everyone go willy-nilly (yeah I'm bringing that back) and watch it all implode on itself. Things need some structure. And I'll take any ideas from you all but here's how it's starting to formulate in my head so far:

-The main group of 6 will be spending the first act building up their relationships with each other as a group, learning about their new abilities, accepting this crazy situation and so on.

-Other people who join are encouraged to help build up the world of Espya. All races available along with all sorts of professions from sky or sea pirate to humble shop owner to local magistrate. These things will hopefully discussed on discord and results posted afterwards. This way everyone has the ability to help build up the lore of this world and the main group can react to these things because as players we've helped build it up too.

-there will be a clear goal to reach by the end but that's something I'm still trying to work out. But the main focus will be establishing these characters, establishing the world, and growing with it.

Hope this answers your question and if not I'm sorry. Feel free to PM me any suggestions for taking this beast a bit before it gets too much to handle.

BillyG and Torack have the right idea. These characters (idealy) will be a slow build up. Endgame status; yes they will all likely be very powerful but I will make sure that their end goals and enemies will be even stronger. But this is what I'm talking about, bouncing off these ideas to make this happen! I'll be working on the discord server shortly and post the link up soon. Any other interests or suggestions, keep them coming. I will answer them here until I get the discord server up and running.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back