• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern the magic within

OOC
Here

demonology

𝒅𝒆𝒔𝒕𝒊𝒏𝒚 𝒊𝒔 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒐𝒏𝒍𝒚 𝒎𝒚𝒕𝒉.
information
appearance
persona
relationships
  • Estrella Delacroix

coded by weldherwings.

1149AF07-1587-47C0-83DD-7EB9DF8139CD.jpeg
I never asked for this, but so help me if I’m gonna let it define me.
Oliver Bell

Name
Oliver Bell

Stopped aging at 16, doesn’t keep track anymore

Physical Appearance
Lightly toned, not very athletic. Skinny build, pale skin. Dark green eyes, sprinkling of freckles across his neck and collarbones. His eyes sparkle red when he’s angry.

Virtues
-Patient- -Caring- -Driven- -Kind-
-Unique- -Protects those he loves-

Vices
-Can’t control his hunger well-
-Easy to tick him off- -Brutally honest- -Does the right things the wrong way- -Low stamina- -Too strong for his own good-

Style
91F9132A-64E1-4DA4-AF1B-F1CAB009175E.jpeg
89ECB40D-0E3C-49BB-8F6F-CC2A691F5A73.jpeg
522B83DE-8F0B-4D67-8B66-58CC37963898.jpeg

Theme Song
Monster by Imagine Dragons​

Estrella’s senior year is turning out more eventful than she imagined. There was a sprinkling of snow outside as she walked into school, trying to stomach the news she received last night. Her birthday was today (well, tomorrow technically. Her birthday was on the 29th of February, making it difficult to exactly place when she officially turns 18). Estrella had imagined that she would come to school, see her friends, and get a cupcake from Oliver at lunch (even though they surely would do something after school to properly celebrate). The most abnormal thing she thought to have happened regarding her birthday was having some boy, like Henry from AP Chem, come up to her and try to ask her out on her birthday. Though, perhaps, that was more of a fantasy rather than a weird hypothetical. Either way, Estrella didn’t exactly imagine her 18th birthday to become the most important event in her life.

Last night, her mom sat her down. Her father sat in the background, fiddling with some paperwork, before finally picking up his cup of tea and laying his gaze upon her mom. This was how Estrella knew it was important. Her father was always fretting over something that had to do with work. After a few moments, she finally asked her mom what was going on.

“Now I don’t know how to put this easily, but,” her mother started. “You’re a witch.”

And now, less than 24 hours later, she was standing by her locker. Still unable to process all the information she was told last night. Her backpack was weighed down by the beginner’s deck of tarot cards her mother gave her along with the family’s beginner spell book. It was a tiny book, almost like one of those mini bibles that people used to hand her when she passed by a church. Still, Estrella didn’t like holding it. It made her feel jolty, almost like she was on an adrenaline high. Her mom made her take it with her anyways, citing that it was now under her possession and needed to familiarize itself with her “energy” or something along those lines. Frankly, Estrella stopped listening after realizing all of her mom’s friends were part of a coven.

Shaking her head to clear it of the cobwebs, she placed her Pre-Calc textbook in her locker. It was then that a pink envelope caught her eye. She plucked it up, leaning against the neighboring locker as she opened the note. It appeared to be from Henry, the romantic who was trying to sweep Estrella off her feet while discussing isotopes.

Oliver was exhausted and tired of keeping secrets. Senior year was only getting harder, with the thing and all. He had been up all night, shut in his closet because the cravings were so bad. It wasn’t much better when he woke up, but it wasn’t a day he could miss. Oliver had to pack the cupcake for Estrella, his books, say goodbye to his brother, and get out the door before anyone looked too appetizing.

“It’s never going to be easy, Oliver. But it’s the life that you were given. It’s the life that you chose-”

He had nearly taken that old man’s head clean off. Oliver could have done it, one swing, knocked his head off.

“-and you are so much better than this curse. You’ll find a way, like you always do.”

Oliver stopped by next to Estrella, covering her eyes. “Guess who, bestie.”

Estrella smiled with her eyes covered. The card was still in her hand, decorated with a little heart and Henry’s signature. She partially wanted to throw it out, but she was flattered by the thought. Instead, she turned around to face her best friend.

“Oliver!” She threw her arms around him briefly, crushing the card a tad in her hand. “To what do I owe this lovely surprise?” Estrella couldn’t keep a smile off her face, even as it began to feel like the book in her backpack was growing a heartbeat.

She took a small step back from Oliver, aware that many people might get the wrong idea about them. Not that she’d mind that, but it might bother Oliver and ruin their ten plus years of friendship. Estrella had lost Ambra already. She couldn’t lose Oliver too. Even if he looked handsome, though tired as hell. She straightened the hem of her pinafore, which was puffy from her crinoline and made of pink plaid. She had specifically picked it out for her birthday.

‘That was dangerously close.’ he let out a deep breath. She was starting to smell way too good, and he really didn’t want to miss schools that day. “Well, I’m sure not all best friends can get their number one girl a cupcake on her birthday, but I can.” he pulled the package from his bag.

“Here.”

Every year, like clockwork. A cupcake, a special hello, and every day like normal. Except his stomach was twisting into painful knots, and something about Estrella’s scent was off. Something that smelled like earth and magic and cheap candy.

“Are you trying out a new perfume today?”

It wouldn’t hurt to ask. After all, best friends tell each other everything

She smiled sweetly at the cupcake. It was her favorite part of her birthday, especially given the turn of events. Oliver always knew how to make Estrella feel special.

"Thank you, bubs." She placed the cupcake in her locker, opting to save it for lunch.

For a moment she took a smell check. She didn't smell any different than usual. Her shampoo was different, given she'd ran out of her regular last night. It was the type of shampoo made for kids and strippers. However, it wasn't that fragrant, at least not fragrant enough for Oliver to smell it. "No, I don't think so. Why? Does it smell bad?" Estrella grew suddenly sheepish. She rarely had a hair out of place, and she hated the idea of stinking up every room on her birthday. Perhaps she was a bit sweaty from the events of the past 24 hours?

“Uh, no, not at all. Maybe it was just my imagination.” he shrugged. “Anyway, I’ve got to get to class. See you at lunch?”

It was something in her blood then. Something had changed, he knew it. Did she pick up a new hobby? Change her diet? Did something happen to her? Like....what happened to him? He hoped it wasn’t so. Estrella, of all people, didn’t deserve to live with his everyday curse.

“Just...so you know. You can tell me anything Estrella. Anything at all. I won’t judge.” Oliver affirmed, stuffing his hands into his pockets. ‘Now is not the time for stomach gymnastics.’ he forced himself to not look sick.

“I’ll see you around.”

Estrella found Oliver's comment a bit off-putting. She scrunched up her nose in confusion. On the one hand, it made her think that somehow he knew about the information her mom revealed to her. On the other, it made her think he was hiding something from her. She had read a study that showed that people who accuse their partner of cheating are usually cheating themselves. Though this wasn't cheating, it still was something that showed paranoid people are often paranoid about being found out themselves. Estrella opted to sit on this thought instead of voice it. Instead, she smiled at Oliver and said "Of course!" to them seeing each other at lunch.

As for the other stuff, she simply said, "I know, Oliver." She brandished a kind smile to prove she truly believed it. Well, almost. He didn't need to know about something utterly unexplainable.

When he left, Estrella took a moment to look at the card Henry gave her. It was very sweet, and she decided to try to distract herself from Oliver's weirdness and her mom's news by at least having a pleasant conversation with the boy.

He didn’t know how he ended up locked in a broom closet, but it was probably a good thing. The smells were starting to get overwhelming. He needed to call- his hands were too shaky to get his phone out of his pocket. “Well of course this happens today...” Oliver fumbled with his phone. He needed to call him, his brother.

“Vincent? Yeah, I need you to come pick me up. I’ll tell you later, just hurry.” he quickly hung up, trying to calm down. Oliver just hoped he wouldn’t run into anyone on his way to class.

“Mister Bell, late again.”

He grumbled an apology and sat down. Wesley elbowed him. “Hey, you don’t look to good man. I can buy you a few minutes if you need to get out of class.” The kid was a jerk, to most people, but he’d always been there for Oliver when Estrella couldn’t.

“I’ll be fine. Vincent’s picking me up.”

It was just Estrella's luck that on her birthday, she had to take a test. Her pencil moved quickly across the page, ravenous almost. She was rushing, trying to get the last proof done. She wanted to pull her hair out. She couldn't afford to fail a test like this, and given there was only five proofs to the test, she couldn't skip it. Distracted, Estrella lost track of time, resulting in her rushing to finish it before the next bell rang. People were already starting to sit in the seats around her, alerting her to the fact that her time was running out.

Finally, she was finished. Rising from her desk, Estrella was immediately pulled back down. She stared at her left ankle, which had a vine sprouting out from her sock. It wrapped her around the chair. This, sadly, wasn't the first time it had happened. It was just the first time that it had finally been something she noticed. Leola, Estrella's mother, had mentioned that she was supposed to tell Estrella about her powers when she turned 16. It's only now that she's an adult that Leola was required by the coven to tell her. A lot of things began to add up because of this, including her nervous tick of growing flowers and other greenery when she's stressed. However, now was not the time. Huffing, Estrella sat down and tried to discretely unravel the vines. She wasn't kind about it, causing the vines to encircle her ankle further.

She took a long, deep breath. Estrella always had a way with the earth, and she needed to remember that now. Letting out one last breath, her heart rate calmed, and the grip on her ankle relaxed. Getting up, she walked over to Mr. Ferguson's desk and finally placed her test along with the other completed ones. Estrella ran out of the room, throwing her backpack over her shoulder and praying that no one saw her.

The bells were too loud, pots and pans banging around in his head. Wesley elbowed him again. “You’re really cold man, you sure you’re okay?” Oliver couldn’t help but shake his head. “Vincent better get here soon, or I’m taking you to the nurse dude.”

Wesley, the angel, helped him out of his seat and carried his backpack. “Thanks Wes.” he smiled, letting the smaller man support him. “No problem, my guy. Just maybe score me a conversation with that lady friend of yours.” Oliver rolled his eyes.

“Okay, Wes. Okay.”

Heading into the bathroom, Estrella ran into a stall and groped around in her backpack for the tiny spell book. After what had just happened, she couldn’t ignore it any longer. Curiosity killed the cat, as they say. Flipping through the pages, she tried to find something about earth magic. At a little past the middle, she came upon a whole section on it. Through some light skimming, she discovered that new or inexperienced witches often struggle with random sprouts. Estrella pondered this, especially when she went on to read that she needed to control her energy in order to stop these things from happening anymore. She grew frustrated and her heart rate accelerated. Whether it was from the anxiety over her test or the anger coursing through her veins, she couldn’t tell. Whatever the feeling, it caused a daisy to pop out of her shoulder.

Dammit.” She mumbled. Closing her eyes, she tried to do some calming exercises, like visioning a box as she breathed in and out. After a few moments, her breath calmed and the daisy went away.

Getting up, Estrella washed her hands in the sink before trotting down the hallway. She was terribly late to class, but even then she took her time making it there.

“Oh shoot.”

“What is it?” Oliver asked, peering around the corner. “It’s Estrella. She’ll want to know what’s up if we run into her, and your secret is still technically yours. And mine, and your brothers.” Wesley explained quietly.

It made his heart ache that he couldn’t tell her. She was his best friend, one of his only friends. But it was a secret that had to be kept. Otherwise she would only worry about him more, and clearly something was going on with her. So what if he craved human blood, she had something more important to deal with.

They waited for Estrella to pass, then continued out into the hallway. “Mister Matthews and Mister Bell, late again.” their chemistry teacher was not going to be pleasant that day, it seemed.

Arriving late, Estrella took a spot in the back. The class passed normally, and she began to count the minutes to lunch. Finally, the bell rang. Packing up her things, she hoofed it to the lunch room to grab her lunch before heading over to the table where they usually ate lunch.

She sat down, beginning to eat her lunch. A few people stopped by to wish her a happy birthday, but most knew that she wanted to hang out with Oliver. It was their tradition. Estrella waited several minutes, but it became apparent about 15 minutes in that Oliver wasn’t coming. She texted him, “where r u?”

However, it wasn’t long before she was distracted by Henry, who came and sat by her. They began to discuss all sorts of things, including how she was going to spend her birthday (which resulted in him being invited to her party), when his birthday was, their chemistry class, etc. She totally forgot about the text she sent her best friend.

The rest of the school day passed without circumstance, though Estrella was worried about Oliver

Less than five minutes into chemistry class, Vincent had arrived to take him away. “B-But lunch with Estrella...I have to.” Oliver pleaded weakly, barely able to even stand on his own. His brother sternly refused and dragged him home. He crashed as soon as he got there.

Vincent looked up from his book, having heard his brother’s phone buzz. “Estrella...” Oliver opened his eyes, reaching for the phone. Vincent snatched it away. “Nope. You rest, I’ll handle your little girlfriend.”

“She’s not- my- girlfriend...” he was soon back to sleep, curled up with all the blankets he could find. Vincent smiled. “Sure. I’ve seen the way you look at her.” he whispered, smoothing his brother’s hair back.

Once Estrella got home, she immediately took to ignoring Leola, her mother. She tried to wish her daughter a happy birthday, but Estrella didn’t want to hear it. She kissed her father on the cheek before she went upstairs to her room.

Flopping on the bed, she pulled out her phone. She hadn’t received a text yet from Oliver, and she took it upon herself to just call the boy. Him ignoring her was beginning to sting a little. Oliver always told her about the things that got in the way of them hanging out. Was she not worth a text?

Dialing Oliver’s number, Estrella sat with her back against the wall. On the other end of the room, on her desk, her mom left her several gifts wrapped. One looked like a cauldron, and Estrella rolled her eyes. For a woman who hated magic, she sure wanted her daughter to love it. At the very least- learn it. As the line was ringing, Estrella got up and sat at her desk. Curiosity killed the cat, and Estrella was ready to die.

Unpacking the potions brewing set, which according to the note, was a family set and was Ambra’s at one point, Estrella put the phone on speaker and waited for Oliver to pick up.

Vincent was starting to hate Estrella. Not in a major way, just in a friendly distaste way. He poked Oliver in the stomach. “Hey, wake up. Estrella’s been calling for like the past two minutes.” he grumbled. Oliver didn’t hesitate to bolt out of bed and shoo his brother out of the room.

“Hey, Estrella. What’s up?” he rubbed the sleep from his eyes, checking himself in the mirror. Oliver sighed, he looked like death warmed over. “How was the rest of the school day?”

Estrella smiled a little at Oliver's voice. His mere presence always managed to cheer her up, even with a whole family secret weighing her down. It also didn't help that she was genuinely beginning to worry over his safety, given he hadn't responded to her in so long. Ever since Ambra passed, she always worried another person she loved had died on her. Finally, she could let out a breath. "Hi, Oliver," she said quietly. "Doesn't matter how my day went. What's up with you? What happened?"

Her fingers fiddled with the tags on the various glass bottles of dried herbs and flowers and... other things. One read "rosemary" and the other read "eye of newt." It was a bit off-putting to realize that "powdered unicorn" existed. She huffed, setting the bottles aside. She'd find a place to put them in a minute. Instead, she waited for Oliver's explanation.

“Uh...sorry. Wasn’t feeling really well today, I skipped breakfast. Nearly passed out in the hallway, if you ask Wes he’ll tell you.” he tried not to reveal too much. It was the truth, without a major detail. He was skipping meals left and right, because human food only made him sick.

“But it does matter how your day went. Did you sit all alone at lunch or did Henry get to talk to the birthday girl?” Oliver quickly changed the subject, although it only made him feel more guilty.

Estrella felt bad about being upset with Oliver, for even a moment, and she felt even worse about worrying so much. He had been sick, and she assumed the worst. "I'm sorry you got sick." Her voice came out sweet and soft. "You feel a little better?"

Sitting back in her chair, she managed to relax her shoulders. Estrella smiled about Henry. "Yeah, we got to hang out for a bit during lunch." Playing with the edge of her skirt, she continued. "He's coming to my birthday party this weekend, and he gave me a sweet card."

Her voice had that tone, the one she always used when he got hurt or felt sick. It was calming, he supposed, at other times. But it only made him feel worse about partially lying.

“That’s good. He’s a sweet kid. Kind of a nerd, but it’s part of his charm.” he shrugged. Henry could be good to Estrella. He was sweet, smart, not too bad on the eyes. Oliver...wasn’t. He would never be a good human boyfriend, to anyone.

Part of Estrella didn't want Oliver to be so laissez-faire about Henry. She couldn't pinpoint why, but maybe it was because Ambra wouldn't have approved of Henry. She'd say, "He's too earnest. It feels like he's trying to love-bomb you," or something wholly wise and protective. She missed her sister then, but she realized it was unfair to ask Oliver to be some sort of replacement. That was an unachievable goal.

"Yeah, I guess so. I don't know. His worthiness remains to be seen." The last part came out as a joke, though Estrella was too soft-spoken at this moment for it to truly land. Her laugh came out very breathy, and her tone lacked the conviction the joke needed.

Oliver’s heart ached. That wasn’t the Estrella he knew. That wasn’t how she laughed, the type of jokes she told. Her voice wasn’t right. Had he done something wrong? Well...something else?

His stomach started to hurt once again, sharp pains racing up his abdomen and spine. He needed something to eat, but he wasn’t up for stealing that night. “I guess I’ll see you tomorrow Estrella.” Vincent would have to do for the night. He’d find something else in the morning

Estrella smiled, though it had a hint of sadness in it. The corners were turned down. “See you, Ollie Wallie.” It was a stupid nickname from when they were kids, but she needed to say it now. It reminded her of times when Ambra used to hang out with them. She always made everything more fun, even when Oliver made her smile and giggle harder than anyone ever could.

She hung up the phone, resting her back against the white wooden desk chair. The potions set sat unwrapped before her. Two more packages laid wrapped up. Her eyes began to water as she realized that her sister wasn’t here, that this all once hers and if she was here, she would’ve given it to Estrella personally. Ambra would’ve maybe wrapped a few things in newspaper that she painted on, but that would’ve been the only wrapping. It would’ve been very Ambra.

Wiping away her tears, Estrella picked up the biggest package. It was circular, and her suspicions were proven true when she found a crystal ball. It was made of rose quartz, polished to a shiny finish. It was almost clear. She opened the rest of the packages, revealing a tea set, decorated in a moon print, and a bunch of special tea leaves. There were some labeled as “truth telling” and “for scrying.” Lastly, there was a whole set of old books. She picked up the one titled “The Moon Phases & Their Role in Wiccan” and began sifting through the pages until her mother called her for dinner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back