The Inn at the Edge of the World (OOC)

Um... basically running through an example of complete character creation in the Crucible system, in both settings, after I finish updating another Quest based RP of mine.

Could I make a Monk? I really want to play a Monk for some reason, but I don't know how they'd fit Into a group of mercenaries.

I'm not sure a monk would work best in this scenario. This world is a harsh place that is actively trying to kill many of its people through varying creative means, a fighting monk doesn't seem to fit too well into that kind of situation. Monks typically train to fight as a means of meditation and self defense, not active aggression. Our little company of mercenaries is out to make money, usually at others expense. I dont think a Monk could condone that kind of behavior.

Well, Monks in this setting have a bunch of edicts, which usualy boils down to killing the shit out of vampires. They also can't hurt the innocent, wear armor, keep material wealth, that sort of thing, but there's a lot of leeway in the interpretation of those rules.

Specifically monks of a old, fringe religion. Monks of the Venic church would be very like Christian monks - buncha celibate men living in seclusion, praying, scribing, and farming. And brewing.

Eotran Monks, on the other hand, worship an entirely different pantheon and their practice of martial arts is both a form of communion with their patron deity, and means to enact justice as understood by their dogma. Which is mainly killing vampires.

As I understand it the rules are universal to all characters, there's no special rules for one type of combat or another. The only difference in combat, I believe, is in ranged and close quarters. Essentially you shouldn't have to worry about what type of fighter you want to make your character, the rules should apply to them regardless of their background or chosen 'class'.

I was actually talking about the rules that Silver mentioned before. I wanted to know if there was a doc talking about them in details instead of just listing one or two examples. I also want to ask what kind of work the mercenaries would be doing. Would they be fighting for lords at war or taking contracts from peasants that need bandits killed or something like that.

These guys are mercenaries, so it really depends on who's paying them. Right now, they're protecting this Venic based village from outside forces, which could be anything from hungry bandits, political rivals, angry natives, cultists, to freak monster attacks.

Later on, it really depends on what the group as a whole decides, or at the very least, what Osric (Grey's Character) decides to do with everyone.

As for the Edicts they follow, that was pretty much it. No material wealth, no armor, no hurting the innocent, submitting to those more learned/powerful than you, and not allowing yourself to be defeated.

Uh.... I feel like the mercs would most likely be involved in some very unpleasant work that could involve some very unpleasant people being targets. But I'm pretty sure most of the time they would be screwing over peasants. I feel like my character could distribute her share of the reward among commoners but would that technically violate the edict stating no material wealth? Everything else seems kind've easy to work with(?) but I think it depes on how you feel about it @Silvertongued.

It's not particularly the edicts I'm looking for you to reason around. I'm more looking for why your character is looking to travel with a bunch of mercenaries.

Unpleasant work you say?

Who better than to send

A lordless Hedge Knight

A spying minor noble

A mute bandit

A runaway slave

A disgraced house warrior

[QUOTE="Teh Frixz]Unpleasant work you say?
Who better than to send

A lordless Hedge Knight

A spying minor noble

A mute bandit

A runaway slave

A disgraced house warrior

[/QUOTE]
Now wait a damn minute -.-

Huh, yeah, the full doctrine should be in there. But in a nutshell

1. Own no wealth.

2. Protect the innocent.

3. Submit to the guidance of those with greater knowledge.

4. Trust the gods, not armour.

I think there was a fifth one but I'm blanking on it.

@Silvertongued, could it be plausible that my monk was sold to the mercs by a group of highwaymen and swore servitude to them? I guess that could technically tie in with submitting to those more learned/powerful to you or does that edict only apply to monks that are more learned?

Users who are viewing this thread