The Inn at the Edge of the World (OOC)

@AvidElmV2

At the current point in time, yeah, we should be good to have another player. Sorry about taking a while to respond, I was busy over the weekend.

You have any idea of the Crucible system, the setting, or who you'd like to play?

Yep, I'm still watching. Figured I might as well have Catalya get some rest after her ride. I already have a "wake-up/dream/nightmare" post ready after the gang has their conversation. Or whenever someone comes to get her.

Grey said:
@Stickdom you should probably do the courteous thing, man.
Yeah, I probably should have a while ago.

@Silvertongue So, if it wasn't obvious before, I signed up for this RP right before I hit a busy season of pretty much zero internet accessibility, so after my first few posts I dropped off the face of the earth. As much as I want to jump back into the story, it's progressed to a point where I can't easily slide in without making it awkward or irrational, as well as I seem to have lost interest in the character, as much as I wanted to play him out when I created him. Perhaps I'll get a wild hair and muster up the motivation to bring him back into this story from a future point in time, he can be a new addition to the party again, but until such time as that, I wish you all the best with this story and I hope that you all continue to enjoy it. See you around! :)

Silvertongued said:
@AvidElmV2
At the current point in time, yeah, we should be good to have another player. Sorry about taking a while to respond, I was busy over the weekend.

You have any idea of the Crucible system, the setting, or who you'd like to play?
I have a basic idea of the system. A very bare idea, but I know how it works for the most part. If I ever need something to refer to, I have a guide bookmarked. The only problem I have with the system is a few pieces of the character making progress. Mostly the Skill Focus and and the EXP. This is the very first time I've ever even heard of Crucible or used a did system in general, so I'm trying to wrap my head around the concept as quick as possible and avoid being 'that guy' from the stories.

For one, I don't have a clue what Skill Focus is, although common sense tells me that is a particular skill you excel in. The thing is, I don't know what the focuses are for the skills I want my character to focus in (the guide I mentioned only has a few examples) and what they do. For XP, its just the problem of trying to balance all 60 points (or just the majority of them? I have no idea) without making a character that seems over powered. I don't even know if there's a way to make an over powered character in Crucible, but I still want to try and steer away from it if possible.

If you are spending your 60 XP correctly, there is no way to be under or over powered, since 60 is the baseline for all characters, NPC or otherwise. c: You'll find it's tougher than you think, especially if you want to be able to speak Trades' fluently.

As for Skill Focuses... When you buy a skill point, it raises the skill, which is a no brainer. This is only applicable up to three points in that skill. If you buy a fourth level in a skill, you have to designate a specialty, which is something you can mostly make up yourself. For example, if I'm playing a doctor, I might pump her Medicine up to 3 and then buy 4 and 5 in a specialty I make up, such as Surgery or Autopsy.

When I roll for her to do doctor-y things, most of the time it will factor in a level 3 skill. However, if I'm rolling for her to do surgery, she will have a level 5 skill.

You can purchase multiple specialties in one skill, too. But you'll have to spend XP on both, sort of like dividing the skill into two.

What guide are you using? I'm hoping it's the massive google doc~.

I use a fancy google spreadsheet that I made to help me with chargen. Here's a link to it - feel free to make a copy of it and use it yourself. Below is an example of a character made using the sheet... The doctor I just mentioned, in fact.

Anomaly said:
If you are spending your 60 XP correctly, there is no way to be under or over powered, since 60 is the baseline for all characters, NPC or otherwise. c: You'll find it's tougher than you think, especially if you want to be able to speak Trades' fluently.
As for Skill Focuses... When you buy a skill point, it raises the skill, which is a no brainer. This is only applicable up to three points in that skill. If you buy a fourth level in a skill, you have to designate a specialty, which is something you can mostly make up yourself. For example, if I'm playing a doctor, I might pump her Medicine up to 3 and then buy 4 and 5 in a specialty I make up, such as Surgery or Autopsy.

When I roll for her to do doctor-y things, most of the time it will factor in a level 3 skill. However, if I'm rolling for her to do surgery, she will have a level 5 skill.

You can purchase multiple specialties in one skill, too. But you'll have to spend XP on both, sort of like dividing the skill into two.

What guide are you using? I'm hoping it's the massive google doc~.
This is the guide.

Thank you Anomaly; I was too tired to explain and I can't decide if that's because of how often I need to do it or just the day I had.

Does anyone have an idea of how I can make these things clearer in the text? They're probably the most common stumbling blocks.

It's just really confusing tbh. D&D-esque systems can be pretty daunting to learn. Especially with how huge that book is... It's like a manual for a job. I figured out the character creation, but I'm personally still a little concerned on how this dice-rolling will work.

Actually probably best, Silver. The outside perspective is likely going to make it more readable than if I did it, since I'm so close to the project.

Alright, I'll have one for DS and one for DA probably around this time tomorrow, possibly even tonight. After Tinker Quest of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back