The Inn at the Edge of the World (OOC)

@AvidElmV2 Not necessarily my character (business), but possibly your monk was on a sort of pilgrimage? And he was attacked by highwaymen?

We could either help him, or NPC's could bring him into town half dead... That could work maybe? Then again, don't know cause I think Abram and Osric might be getting ready to move them out. And your monk would need time to heal from that... Meh, idk but that's the idea I had.

Interesting concept, but highwaymen have very little reason or want to attack or enslave a monk. Monks are incredibly lethal, and have little to no personal belongings, so they're the very epitome of too much trouble.

However, @KatarinaMID brings up an interesting point. It's entirely likely that your monk could have been badly wounded in a fight with a vampire or other beastie, and was bought in by travellers who found them out in the wilderness. The Church would want nothing to do with them, but perhaps a mercenary company might have the medical knowledge to help...

Well we had the medical knowledge to help when @Hellkite was still posting. Now we're short one crippled medic, and I don't think anybody in our party knows any healing skills beyond a basic field dressing.

Easier than you would think. When you roll you have to get your D12s above a 'success threshold' that starts at 11 for any unaltered or unskilled tasked. Your stats work to either drop that success threshold so you don't have to roll as high, or give you extra dice to roll to increase your odds. Depending on how well equipped your opponent is and how low your defense scores are you could wind up getting maimed in your first fight.

There's been some nice ones that've been done in the past. I've been looking around for a link, but unfortunately, the main forum where we had this stuf has been shifted around.

But like Kami says, things are relatively lethal. Simply put, the system is designed that a peasant with a little luck, and a well aimed rock, could concievably take down a mounted knight in full armor. Not particularly likely mind, but entirely within the realm of possibility.

...taking down a vampire with a rock is... considerably less likely. Or with the mounted knight, for that matter. With that in mind, think of how physically capable a Monk is, since they tend to do that mostly naked with their bare hands.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been screwing around with the Google spreadsheet I got, trying to make what I believe is a good Monk 'build'. I feel like I'm coin something wrong, because I keep getting a combat pool of twelve and a speed of ten, but I guess I'm still in the good so long as I keep within the 60 XP baseline. I'm also thinking of making a field medic seeing how the group is missing their's. We can have two characters, can't we?

I'd prefer to keep it one, in all honesty.

Also, I feel a field medic would probably fit in better than a monk. We have plenty of combatants, but very little support.

Remember your character doesn't have to just be a field medic. They could also be a scouting type like Sam, a smooth talker like Osric, maybe even a little magical if you're willing to wrap your head around those rule sets.

@AvidElmV2

In fact you could mix your two ideas. Monks would likely know at least basic medical treatments, and in their monasteries you could easily find a few monks that preferred to heal than to fight. Maybe your monk wasn't the best fighter but they were more bookish while they were learning their craft? Picked up some herbal remedies and other techniques along the way?

I was thinking about making an Alchemist with some medical knowledge. They could conduct poisons and attend to the group if they get injured, and they could provide support from afar with their bow. Would this work or no?

Ah, my bad. Applied Magical Theory is... a thing in Crucible: Darkening Skies, which is sort of a spinoff of Crucible: Dark Age. It's not relevant to your character, I just sort of lump them all together for my own purposes. >.>

EDIT: I think.

I might be confusing myself again.

EDIT2: Actually, I think you can have it in Dark Age? basically Applied Magical Theory is the study of the nuances and mechanics of magic.

EDIT3: @Grey HALP

Last edited by a moderator:
Applied Magical Theory isn't practiced in the current time period for Dark Age. It'd be a spin-off from Lore for ancient Magi.

So just use Lore in place of APT.

Just a heads up gang. I'm going to MIA for precisely a month starting tomorrow. I'm still very interested in the storyline and want to RP here, but I will simply not be able too.

Any thoughts on a way I can post to compensate for anything I may miss, or will I sort of be a tag along NPC? I apologize in advance, I didn't think my situation would turn out in this manner.

Alright @AvidElmV2 all you really need to do now is your Advantages, how or why you're in New Hope, and possibly elaborate on how you managed to get the Laman arrows of your heritage.

Users who are viewing this thread