• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy The Great Games of Nye

Characters
Here
Narzas.png
Narzas just smiled at him shyly when he told her he seemed to be racking up quite a debt. That wasn't how friendship worked - she thought. Certainly not how caring about other people worked. If you cared about another person: you helped them. Hell, you helped just because it was the right thing to do. He would never be required to repay her. That was what this world and how the dark shadows who governed it seemed to work...a favor for a favor. Money for wealth and power. Tit for tat. Deep in her heart though it felt wrong to ask for anything at all. Vile. Maybe the scales would always be uneven - or maybe someday he would find a way to repay her as he seemed to intend. It didn't matter. Not when he already had given her so much by simply being himself.

Still, once he'd wandered off one direction and Ren the other she found herself momentarily face to face with the blonde who was smirking at her in a way she found unsettling.

"What?"

Margorie Melodine.png
"Hmm? Oh nothin' darlin..." Marjorie sighed patiently, glancing off toward the room Johan vanished into and then back at Narzas with a pitying expression. "Ah guess no matter how things change... they do still stay the same."

"What do you mean?" Narzas asked, regretting her curiosity.

Marjorie clicked her tongue, "Johan. Ah thought maybe the years apart, 'n 'im bein' with you and resisting me had changed 'im... but he didn' even say thank you properly did he?"

Narzas's emotions flickered and stirred at the insinuation. "It's not like he asked for my help. As far as I know that injury will be gone in a few seconds and I'll have wasted the effort."

Marjorie blinked and her pitying expression seemed to only grow in depth. "Oh you sweet summer child..." She sighed with a shake of her head. "Tsk, it's worse than Ah thought if that's you're attitude. He'll get bored of you within a month, two tops. You should just quit while you're ahead, save yourself the heartache."

Narzas glared, "You don't know anything." She stated angrily.

Marjorie's smirk returned and there was a glint of amusement playing in her golden eyes. "Ah know a hell of a lot more 'n you. How long've you known him? A day? A week? Ah was with him almost a year, sugar... and Ah've had time ta do plenty of research on the subject since. Ah always keep a close eye on mah favorite bed-partners." She winked at Narzas at the end of her sentence then licked her lips. The zuànshín woman's face grew both a bit queasy and uncertain-even while she attempted to maintain the death-glare. Marjorie just smiled, "Look: Ah ain't some kinda saint, and Ah ain't never claimed Ah was... but maybe ya shouldn't just assume because yer all twitter-pated right now means smooth sailin' forever. You should know what sort'a monster yer sleepin' with."

Narzas grit her teeth. Johan's warning flashed in her memory, but the words were difficult to hold onto in the face of the truth she couldn't help but to believe Marjorie might know. It didn't help that she couldn't exactly refute anything that the woman said so far. She closed her eyes to visualize them better, "I don't care about his past. People change, grow. They fail, they succeed, they learn, they live... Johan might not be the same man you are so sure you think you know. Maybe he never was and you've just been reading what you've wanted to see in your research. Confirmation bias is a thing. If any of it was important... he'll tell me in his own time."

Marjorie laughed and flicked a small cardboard rectangle at Narzas - which the woman caught without thinking: glancing at it to realize it was a business card with the same symbol as the badge she'd flashed at Johan. Narzas flashed her a quizzical look. "Mah number, in case we get separated. All of 'em call me in the end... can never help comparin' themselves to his past lovers." She grinned as Narzas shifted uneasily. "All you really gotta do to know whether you will or not is ask yourself one question."

Narzas clenched the cardboard between her fingers, and with a sense of trepidation asked, "And that would be...?"

Marjorie turned toward the door Johan had gone through and swept her arm toward it as though inviting Narzas, Ren, and the approaching others to pass on into the bloody scene beyond. "Why doesn't he ever say he loves you?"

Brown eyes briefly met gold as Narzas stared at Marjorie like a deer in headlights for a moment before stuffing the card into an invisible pocket and scampering off into the next room without another word. Marjorie just watched her and the others go: noting the new additions to the team without more comment than a mere silent smirk playing across her lips.

Jet Jet ZackStop ZackStop Lost Echo Lost Echo Huntertabbysandshark3 Huntertabbysandshark3

2487365 (2).png
Spivey made a mental note on yet another quick witted comment from Esther. They were almost beginning to like her and her silver tongue. "Why aren't you trying to kill me then I wonder?" They turned away again as they mumbled to themselves, walking away to give Esther and Rhys their space. "One of life's great mysteries..." Seemed even a sleazebag had enough compassion to care about a kid's life. If Esther needed peace then Spivey was willing to oblige. At the very least, the tomato faced knight could offer up some conversation.

As Brynwyr laid down a strategy of her own, Spivey slurped from the bottle they had carried all the way with them since the ship crashed. This was a very bleak situation Spivey and all the others had found themselves in, possibly the worst those eyes have ever seen. After all the shit Spivey had survived through, not could really prepare them for that drop or that beast. "Just another fucked situation under my belt." They announced once the knight said her piece.

Turning towards her in a rather flamboyant fashion, possibly to rile the woman up again, Spivey made their honest best effort to ease Brynwyr's worries. "Do not fret, Madam, for if we find ourselves face to face with that horrid serpent, I will put everything on the line to protect you!" The grating of the voice changer made the performance rather 'interesting', but the merc quickly broke character and went back to drinking.

Spivey pulled the gasmask back down over their mouth before letting out a "Yeup. We're pretty much fucked." then offering the woman the bottle of Jack Daniel's. "We'll follow the river for as long as we can, cut through the jungle once we're close to the wreckage. If that's alright with you and the others, of course."

Lost Echo Lost Echo Arcanist Arcanist

The guide had been impressed with Ms. Priss--Renee: she wasn’t going to acknowledge the confirmation on Renn--actually keeping up with them. She nodded across from her as she covered her face. Glancing at her hair, she pursed her lips. A Hydraline’s hair stood out too. She was less willing to burn it off--especially since she’d need to be bald (it was the color as much as the length), and her family never cut it. “Hey Hamlin, you got a hat?

As Charlie started to talk, Gailene fought to roll her eyes. She was listening; she just didn’t have any solution for that. It wasn’t like they could go underground! They could take to the rooftops themselves--fight those up there, but her goal was to keep as many people alive as possible. Including the prisoners. They were riled up like hell, but they weren’t bad people. Just easily influenced by Nye…mind you maybe those on the rooftops were Nyian… She turned to look at Zulan, agreeing with his assessment of their songbird. Gailene had been impressed, but it was foolish to assume Renee could maintain that. She likely had good air, but her muscles could only be forced to do so much.

But then: the wind user made a cut-off noise, flailing and gesturing across her throat as soon as Charlie mentioned Kwame. The ONE Fekking request she had! There was less than a moment for her to hope it wasn’t heard before a gruff voice roared. “Centurion!?” cutting off the remainder of the light-haired woman’s words.

She tried to take a second to grimace, but he grabbed her shoulder, spinning her around. “Uh…” For a moment, she was stupidly at a loss for words in the face of his anger. Finding something, “Well, you see Nye did send a Centurion with this group…” She trailed off as his face grew darker, then started to speak quickly, as if to stop an explosion, barely having space between her words. “He’s a good one! Instead of fighting when we were almost caught up in the mob he ran! He didn’t hurt anyone!

The man looked unimpressed. “And you lost him?

Gailene nodded slowly, hoping no one contradicted her. “We got separated. But he’s seen the map. He can find the factory--the grid’s not difficult to navigate. He’ll see it. It’s too big to miss.” She definitely didn’t mention the falling apartment. It had only separated them. Surely centurions wouldn’t be killed by infrastructure.

Hamlin glanced at the group, "You vouch for his character?

Gailene went to speak more, but he held out his hand, thrusting a pile of rags to her. “You two go change.” He jerked his thumb in the direction he came from. The little privacy he could give.

The young woman looked down at herself, and couldn’t argue. Her clothes weren’t fancy: they were the most practical she had, but she would still stand out. “Come on Renee” she led the way to the back, holding the door for the woman if she followed.

Hamlin turned to look at the remaining two. “You said something about people following you?

rozukitsune rozukitsune ManofManyRoles ManofManyRoles EldridSmith EldridSmith

Last edited:
Renn 3.png
Renee fidgeted as everyone discussed tactics, not bothering to argue as Zulan mentioned she might not be up for a cross-city rooftop jaunt while Gailene agreed. She'd done plenty of gymnastics as one of her favorite sports growing up but she didn't do that sort of thing competitively or consistently enough to think she might have the stamina to make it. Hell just making it here had winded her a little, and her arms would certainly bruise from the times she'd bounced off the building walls on the way here. She did not want to even think about what kind of injuries she could sustain from falling off a building. She just nodded along with the assessment and took that moment to really do a bit of her own assessing of the others.

They were all so much... more capable. It made her feel like an ant among giants. Charlie was from Maccraige... Zulan from one of the African areas - she wasn't sure which though maybe he'd mentioned it and she'd just not been paying attention. To be fair she'd also had more important things to concern herself with. Gailene looked at her like some kind of fragile but inconveniently shaped bit of art she was being tasked with lugging around during a high-stakes situation...

Even the ones who weren't here were all clearly experienced. Kwame was a centurion who went around dressed like a knight of old - so he had to be strong. Kilderkin was clearly a highly capable and intelligent woman who pretended otherwise for reasons Renee didn't really understand... and Evaline seemed like a kindly old aunt or grandma maybe who'd been around the block plenty.

And what could she do? So far all she'd been good for was screaming and crying and throwing a fit everywhere they went. She hadn't even tried using her fire for anything - though her usages of that were basically limited to using it as flares and/or fireworks. She sighed, she was a starlet; not a fighter or warrior or criminal or anything of the kind. It made sense she didn't really fit in here. Was it even possible that she could? Was she just a casualty waiting to happen?

Something in her burned as she followed Gailene into the other room to get changed into the offered clothing. She was not going to just... slow these people down everywhere she went. If they wanted to vault over rooftops, or whatever... she was just going to have to try and keep up. Do her best to not be the dead weight. Maybe she could never truly be a part of the team, but she could at least make her presence less troublesome. "Whatever you guys think is best. I'll manage... somehow." She said softly before she disappeared around the corner.

Jet Jet ManofManyRoles ManofManyRoles EldridSmith EldridSmith Lost Echo Lost Echo

d21578663bcf21ec5c957137f6618009_49.jpg

Kwame was solemn as he listened to them speak. He knew they could handle Escarra and reach the other side of town, but how many would die in the process? How many would stand in their way? He wished they would drop their weapons and negotiate before raiding the fortress. He could side with them in that case, confront the council and explain how bad Xysma was. The revolution would end peacefully and these beaten dogs, choking on sewage and smog for decades, would finally breath clean air.

He knew it would never happen though. He'd been around long enough to know that war wasn't a passing fancy. It always existed and would always exist. There'd never been a peaceful second since the dawn of mankind, and on this island where none were innocent, where none was free of vengeance, where hatred rolled through the streets like mist. Here there would be no peace.

He frowned at his thoughts and said, "Indeed. If we see him, we will do what must be done." He pictured Escarra laying dead on the ground before him, a monumental waste of a man. There was a fire within him that made him a great leader, and it would be a shame when it was dimmed forever.

"Unlikely as it may be," he said to Evaline. "I pray we slip through their lines without incident, the less we kill the better." He marched forward with the same heavy steps as before, his eyes narrow and focused. He didn't have a knack for small talk but a question nagged at his mind, a curiosity scratching his conscience. He knew it was bad manners but if there was ever a time for questions, it was here and now, before they entered the fray once more. "Kilderkin, I vow your words will not be repeated or twisted against you in any way; not now and not ever. It is not my wish to obstruct the path you walk upon, but I must know why? Why did you accept this mission? Why risk life and limb after—

The word caught in his throat. He loosened his collar as he neared the tunnel's end. "This city has done you no favors. Few in fact, can attest to its benevolence. I find my vows conflicting with Nye more with each passing day."

"Perhaps I've sacrificed what is righteous for what is safe, perhaps chaos is preferable to this." He emerged on a street covered in trash and smoking rubble, his nose crinkled as he looked for enemies. "I wonder the same of you Evaline. Would it not be better to free yourself of this madness? To leave this place and be done with it? What can you gain—

"HEY!" A man shouted down the street. "I FOUND EM!"

Kwame's eyes widened and he reached out his hand. He knew the man wanted to alert Francisco.

"OVER HERE!" The man screamed at the top of his lungs. "THEY SURVIVED THE COLLAPSE!"

Kwame sent forth his metal ball. It streaked down the street like a bullet.

"ESCARRA!" The man cupped his mouth and screamed, "THEY'RE GONNA—

The ball reached him and with the crunch of breaking bones, punched through his chest like a cannonball. He stumbled forward and slowly looked at where his heart once was, a wretched hole of sinew and torn meat. He mouthed a word but only blood left his lips. Then he stumbled forward and dropped to his knees, twitching as he mouthed the word again.

"Why?"

Kwame tensed as the man went limp, falling on his face with a thud.

"It—

The centurion took a sharp breath through his nose. "It had to be done." He stormed away in the opposite direction, his stomach twisting in nervous knots. He wondered if history was repeating itself on the island. If he was killing the defenseless in the name of self defense, supporting a cause deemed worthy by unworthy men. He could hear the echoes of his past and just like before, haunting him like a revenant from the grave, Kilderkin was right there beside him.

Emphoa Emphoa Fred Colon Fred Colon

Last edited:
Brynwyr Protheroe

bryn 2.jpg

Rhys focused more on Esther’s instructions thantheir previous plan on following the river. His throat wavered as he swallowedback, all the while repeating trust, trust, trust, in the hopes he wouldnot lose it during this complicated procedure. He felt Bryn’s sharp eyes onhim, but he did not meet them, keeping his own Esther’s as she took his hands.Only then did he close his eyes, take long, deep breaths.

He could not see when Esther started but hadfelt it. He felt the urge to twitch at the sensation but forced his body still.If he thought too long about the air travelling down to his lungs, he wouldsurely lose his composure. Rhys tried to pull part of his mind elsewhere as theair flowed through his lungs. Home was his first escape. Emerald-toned fields,its grazing animals, the leather-bound books of his house’s library. He allowedthoughts of his father’s study and of Rhys’s chestnut horse, Marengo, that hewas devasted to leave at home. He was glad he could not take him to Nye.

At Esther’s instruction, Rhys let out a longexhale, feeling something lift from his mouth. He thought it was done, though,relented as he took another inhale. This time, the object travelling back updidn’t feel as smooth, more like something had scraped his throat. He flinched,but forced himself to still again, just as he heard some liquid drop beside him.

Rhys only opened his eyes again when Esthersqueezed his hands, and he released a breath he had been holding. He squeezed Esther’shands back, giving her a grateful smile and a feeling relief settle in. “Thank you,Esther. Really, thank you.” He smiled at her, though, couldn’t help but noticed her panting.

“We need every number we can muster. So you can stay,for now,” Brynwyr warned, answering on behalf of Esther.

Brynwyr wouldn’t lie. Much of the situation wasfucked, she hated to agree. But she would not lie down and take it, and spendher last possible moments complaining. Life handed you difficult cards. Brynwyrtutted when Spivey insisted they would do everything in their power to protecther from the serpent, should the worst come round. She couldn’t quite get over how odd Spivey’s voice sounded with those words together.

“Oh, how sweet of you. My hero.” Brynwyr’s voicecarried little genuine thanks. “Perhaps that won’t be necessary, if I stick myblade through its jaw first.” She would not be strong enough to face it alone, butthat did not mean she couldn’t steal the finishing blow. She shook her head atthe offering of drink. She preferred to keep her head clear as much as it wastempting to take the offer.

“That’s alright with me,” Brynwyr nodded, andlooked to Esther and Rhys, who had long since finished their procedure. Her facesoftened. Rhys looked a little brighter. “What about you both? How are you feeling to move on?”

Rhys nodded. “I’m okay,” he confirmed, thoughlooked to Esther. He would not answer for her, but he seemed sceptical.

Foxes were as curious as cats. They just knew when it was better to flee. Spreading her fingers to peek through, Vixie realized that what she’d assumed was skin at first glance, were actually white robes. Slowly lowering her hands, she peeked around Nihal. That couple she thought were doing that were just kissing. Well, maybe just was an understatement--her father would definitely disapprove, but they weren’t doing anything else. You wouldn’t do that in public, but did this just not count as public?

A beautiful blond man approached them, a stunning contrast to Nihal. She stepped to the side, able to see both once the two started to speak. They were so pretty. She’d been trying to keep her crush under control; seeing Nihal as a brother helped, but sometimes it was hard to ignore how amazing the singer was. As for the blond, she wrinkled her nose, actually agreeing with Bean’s assessment. For all that he was pretty--really pretty, her blush was still painted on her cheeks--he didn’t seem real. Like an angel that didn’t know humanity. At Dante’s scowl--which felt most honest--she nodded, “Uh, yeah…he’s unlike anyone else I’ve met.

Still, she returned his smile, “Just Vixie,” she offered, smoothing her sweaty hands down her thighs. Bravely setting her jaw, she continued, “I can handle it…I just wasn’t expecting…well, I mean, I thought…” She stumbled, not sure how to say what she thought they were in a brothel, then ended with, “I’m fine.” Then quietly added, “Right?” She swallowed, glancing around the room again. She turned her attention to Nihal, trying to figure out what he was thinking. He seemed fascinated with the angelic man. Did he want to befriend him? Should they follow Bean? She did want this over with. But wouldn’t it be rude to just leave Dante? She nodded at him, trying to show she’d stay by his side, whatever he decided.

Anne Boolean Anne Boolean Jet Jet

Esther stood, a little unsteady but managed fine on her own. “Give me a sec’” She reached into the pack on her belt and pulled out a vial of what appeared to be water, chugging one herself before offering the other to Dart, whose long beak slid into the glass with ease, emptying it quickly.

Shaking herself, she nodded as Dart landed on her shoulder. The little hummingbird dropped its head and fell into a torpor immediately. Returning the vials to her pack, where you could see a series of others, she nodded to the group. “I’m fine, just don’t rely on me for magic. I’ll pass out afterward if I use much more.” She’d been this low before. It sucked. “But I can walk. Especially along the bank.” The jungle would be a future challenge. She started the way down the river, expecting the others to follow. “We should get started. I don't know what’s come for the corpses Spiv left, but we don’t want to meet them.” She said nothing more of the serpent. They were too small to be its prey, but something that size would easily crush them. All they could hope was it wasn’t approaching them.

ZackStop ZackStop Arcanist Arcanist

The door opened up into a small room. There were beds lined up, with chests at the bottom of them. The floor was hard-packed dirt, and there weren’t any decorations. Pure utility. Hamlin was lucky enough to have a family suite attached to the forge. Gailene walked in, ignoring the drab scenery, and sat on one of the chests with a heavy sigh. At least he was still helping them. Even if they were fucked from those on the rooftops. She began to sort through the clothes, pulling out a black sweatshirt, “Here, the hood’ll be good to hide your hair in.” She tossed it at Renee, not expecting her to actually catch it. Then quickly followed with a pair of brown pants. “There. That should be good enough.

Standing with her own pile of clothes in her hands, she walked around a bed for space to start changing. Her pants were the same as if standard issue. She discarded her own on the bed, followed by her shirt. The new one was also brown, with the edges ragged. It lacked sleeves, showing off the muscles the slim girl actually had. As she dressed she couldn’t help but ask, “What are you doing here? I mean, like why?"

rozukitsune rozukitsune

For all that Anya was relieved to have Kallos back in her sights, the bird remained near Narzas. He was beside her, and clacked his beak in annoyance at Majorie’s words, trying to stall the manipulation. He failed; evident by the dark-haired woman practically fleeing. It was difficult for him not to feel the same as he headed over to Anya’s side.
~
For all that she hoped for the smell to improve (surely there were fewer dead people), it seemed worse in this office suite. She rubbed at her nose, as if that would help, but walked in nonetheless. A knot deep inside her relaxed at the sight of Kallos, though the woman in front of him made her wary. She had to be the source of all the tension and fear she’d felt earlier. And Narzas was talking to her. It was difficult to read the former(?) assassin, but she seemed as uncomfortable as Kallos felt.

Ren’s exclamation made her turn to him smiling, “And the ghost would open the door? Zombies would be more expected, right Ava?” She laughed, trying to defuse the tension. Of course, zombies and ghosts weren’t real. Shaking her head, she turned brushing a hand over Kallos’s wing in greeting once the secretarybird reached her. She watched Narzas enter a room to the side, and considered following her. But first Ren.

So what’d we miss?” She asked the other teen, while she turned to look over the room. Most of it was as she’d expect: dead people draped on desks, no signs of fighting. It was creepy. Just like the main area. She glanced at their hands, remembering they’d started to find letters cut into some of the other corpses. She didn’t want to touch them.

She looked back over to the checkered woman, knowing she should introduce herself, but also too terrified to speak to her. She didn’t keep her gaze there long, instead darting back to the room Narzas has disappeared to. “Let’s join the others.” She looked back at the two before leading the way into the office room.

Newton's balls” This room was worse. It was cramped with the five of them shut inside, but maybe it was the stench that made it seem that way. The body was awful. She’d seen scientists like that: repeating the pain to see what makes it change. It could have been hours before that man died. How did no one notice? Was everyone else already dead? Anya wished for a timeline. Forcing herself to stop staring, glanced over the room, muttering, “What’s with the yellow brick?

Shaking her head, she cleared her throat, “We gotta tell you. Something happened while Ava and I was outside. A…a man somehow stopped everyone. In the crowd and even the cops. Only he and us two could move. I didn’t even know that type of magic was possible. Have either of you heard of it?” She asked the assassins, assuming Ren and Ava wouldn’t have. She looked down, scuffing her metal foot against the vinyl floor. “I’m looking for a friend of mine, who’s been kidnapped. That’s why I asked if you’d heard of kids going missing.” She swallowed, “I don’t know how, but he knew about her. Said to follow the yellow brick road and I’ll find her.

Then her gaze flicked back to the yellow brick, “And that’s too much of a coincidence. Seriously though, why just paint one yellow?” She pointed at a brick, the same boring white as all of the others to the rest of the group.

Huntertabbysandshark3 Huntertabbysandshark3 Jet Jet ZackStop ZackStop rozukitsune rozukitsune

Charlie Redding
As Zulan spoke to her she could feel the steady throbbing in her temple, fingers clenching into a tight fist as she finished wrapping her hands. There was the faintest twitch of her eyebrow as she stared at him, shoving the boxing tape into her jacket. Charlie's naturally a woman on edge, lacking trust to share, and ever waiting for a fight to pop up...and while Kilderkin had been working her last nerve since she'd met her, Zulan just so happened to two-step himself across it and shatter that fine wire that had been drawn taught. "Think that fuckin' carapace of yours has either clogged over your fuckin' ears, or wrapped yer brain. I wasn't bloody recommending we run across the fuckin' roofs you pissant. If you recall I pointed out they've been an issue since we got 'ere! I've had to repeat myself three fuckin' times about an issue that's gotten zilch in regards to input from the lot of ya, because I'm gonna be right pissed if I get my skull caved in! You even fuckin' agreed with me initially that rooftop travel was a bad idea! I ain't be forgetting shite unlike you it seems! I'm good for my word to 'er, dontcha worry a blasted hair about that. Don't talk to me like I'm some fuckin trog ya shite or so help me-" The woman's voice was laced with enough venom to kill a bull elephant and turn a man to stone...but before Charlie could truly start to lay into Zulan and relieve the tension that had been working itself into her core, her forthright nature had resulted in a single buzzword being overheard.

The massive man's cry of outrage about a Centurion cut her short, a frustrated puff of her cheeks as she had to bite her tongue to shut herself up so Gailene could say her piece in their defense. She had to remind herself to relax her fists, white knuckled as they were, Pitt tapping her in that throbbing temple. She shot the familiar an accusatory look for the action, but beyond that the bird went unmolested for the harassment. As the two women made their way to get dressed Charlie gave a firm nod, her voice still dripping with ice but it was slowly starting to go back to it's...mildly less icy tone as she spoke. "Aye. I 'unno if we lost em or not. I'd noticed em when we hit the streets. Far more equipped than the rioters and protestors, they look like they're well-trained and well-equipped. Just also seem...outta place, like they aren't from the same cloth as the rest. The sort of stuff that folks from a prison island shouldn't have access to or even be damn near as well prepped. They seemed to 'ave been watchin' us for a hot minute...bit hard to get a good look at em from the streets, though."
CommissionForLepFINAL.png
Jet Jet Lost Echo Lost Echo rozukitsune rozukitsune EldridSmith EldridSmith

Renn 4.png
Renee flailed as clothing was being thrown at her but managed to catch at least one of the pieces of clothing tossed in her direction. She glanced at the articles of clothing and sighed with resignation a moment before following Gailene's lead and swapping out her honestly flimsy clothing options for the hardier - if well-worn; alternatives. She'd been a starlet her whole life, so changing in front of another woman didn't bother her at all. Neither did the muscles particularly surprise her. A woman who spent most of their time in a place like this and in a job like Gail's probably had to be hardy and tough. Meanwhile Renee's own form while - not as out of shape as someone who spent their entire day behind a desk or ordering others around: was still fairly soft. More akin to one with youthful potential still unrealized, some muscle, a shape that could attain more strength or dexterity but hadn't really been pushed that far yet.

She tucked her head into the hood as instructed - her hair after the cut had already started bunching around her head with all the heat and her own sweat. It was terribly frizzy... but there was nothing really she could do about that without her usual contingent of hair stylists and access to the appropriate product.

At the rather bluntly directed question she shrank back a little and fussed with the hood's drawstrings. "I wasn't really given a choice." She admitted, shifting her weight from one leg to the other as she stared down at herself and how... ordinary she appeared now. "After what happened during the Games... my family decided that I was too broken to continue supporting me as a singer. People who can't just get back up and keep singing after a catastrophe aren't interesting, I guess." Her vocal tone drifted from apathy to grief as she spoke, some of her words shuddering slightly toward the end of her sentence as the weight of everything that had come to pass of late slowly settled upon her anew. She'd been in and out of this state so often recently. It had been the worst right after the attack. She'd barely been able to do anything much more coherent than nod or shake her head. Even when the acting head of Nye himself had asked her to join the forces being assembled of the survivors to fight back, she'd barely registered it. "They saw Lord Vincent's request as an opportunity. Without my stardom, they were going to lose their one avenue to gaining more power... but if I could be a Centurion - well that might be even better than the original plan." She shrugged, then she looked up at Gailene.

Her eyes were haunted, terrified, and exhausted, but beneath all of the surface tension, fear and feelings of failure and general ineptitude; there was the tiniest fire of determination still burning in the red-head's soul. "I don't know what I'm hoping for - to be honest." She curled her hands into fists at her side. "Ultimately, I needed to do something. I hated my life." She paused, her face reddening with inner heat as she processed what she'd just said. "I don't think I even know who I am. Only what everyone else has told me to be from the day I was born." She lifted her hands in front of her face, then opened and closed them - the red in her face receding. "Maybe this exact change wasn't the sort of change I needed, but it's the one I have." She smiled then. "Live or die... it'll have to do."

Lost Echo Lost Echo

1697401474804.png
As they walked, Kilderkin kept her senses open, focusing on trying to sense any free-flowing blood rather than paying attention to where they were going, relying on the other two to take charge on the front.

"Metal?" Kilderkin said, "That's uncommon. Very useful here. We're all in our element, I think. There is no free standing water in a place like this... but I'm confident if it comes to a fight I'll be more effective than I was in a one on one like we had in the arena in Nye. I'm glad. It means we're more likely to survive, even if we need to cut through Escarra." Kilderkin laughed, though the sound was empty of any true mirth. "I, too, hope we make it through this without incident. I intend to live through this. Any incidents faced... well. I'm sure you'll be fine Kwame, but it might be more a toss of the dice for Evaline and I."

Kilderkin kept her face grave, but inside Kilderkin allowed herself a smile as Kwame bluntly laid out his question for her.

Kilderkin paused for a moment, as if thinking, and then sighed, turning to Kwame, looking him in the eyes.

"Nye was my home, for a long time. I want to return. Perhaps if I join the ranks of the centurions things might be different. Nye is sick. When you first.... met me..." She held his eyes, "I was trying to make the world a better place. That... didn't work. But if I become a Centurion, perhaps I can actually change things. For the better."

The best kind of lies were the ones you could tell, and not say a single untruthful thing.

When one of Escarra's rabble poked his head over the rubble, Kilderkin began preparing a needle of water pressure to launch. But Kwame, with his Centurion battle experience, was much faster than her. The man was dead in seconds, falling flat on his face. The contradiction was astonishing, even to Kilderkin. That a man who seemed so honorable, so moral, was not just able, but willing to kill in the blink of an eye. It was terrifying, if one thought about it.

The dead man, now just so much inert flesh, lay silent. But he had already shouted. Would others come?
"It did have to be done." Kilderkin agreed with Kwame. "But now we need to make sure that no one will be following us."

Kilderkin reached her elemental senses out, to encompass the dead man. The water in his body was no longer protected by the life of the man, and so it was able to be manipulated by Kilderkin. She pulled at the water in the corpse, and it slid over to the three of them as if being dragged by an invisible hand, only stopping after it had arrived at Kilderkins feet. Kilderkin picked it up by the scruff of his neck, and began to drag the body along behind her. She used the water in the body to float it in the air and her muscles to actually pull it behind her, so it appeared as if Kilderkin was effortlessly and without slowing pulling it along with them.

"I don't know if anyone is coming, but it would be better if they didn't find the body to give them a clue of where we were." Quite aside from that, Kilderkin might have her own uses for the body. With a thought, she stopped the blood from dripping out of it. She wanted it filled with as much fluid as possible. Leaking blood would render it less useful. "Can you collapse that part of the tunnel, Kwame? Or cover it somehow?"
Jet Jet Emphoa Emphoa

Last edited:
1675764453694.png

Ava Marco
Interaction: Jet Jet Lost Echo Lost Echo ZackStop ZackStop
The smell wasn't so bad.. at least as ava opened the door inside she'd scrunch her noise up a bit letting out a small sigh of relief ok so it wasn't as bad as when she first walked I the others had probably found more helpful info then the wierd old man she and anya had met right? Whatever was the case was she'd cautiously look around letting out a small hum, there was a random bag just there, if she remember correctly..it was ren's right? Whatever she'd decide to pick it up for later maybe once she found em again she could give it back to him.

Lucky she didn't have to wait long once the pair had passed through another set of doors they'd encounter ren having suprised the boy Ava jokingly Gnashing her sharp teeth. "Or worse LAND SHARKS" she'd say with a jovial tone getting back to her more normal self. "Now this land shark has your bag" they'd say with big grin handing it back too the boy.

"Yeah hopefully they have had more luck then our wierd guy outside god that fellow was.. strange cryptic and kinda irritating" she'd grumble with a small huff of annoyance in her tone as she followed the others.

Yeah the room was pretty bad at this point ava just closed her eyes for the most part listen in on what was being said letting out a small hum anya had already given there discoveries over but the yellow brick road part confused her. "Eh what? Um well maybe it's like finding the markers you know follow the direction an arrow pointing in till you find another one that sorta thing but Idk seems too simple?

Gailene turned away from her, flipping her hair over her head then looked up through the curtain at Renee. “You’re telling me, you thought this was easier than going back to singing? Did you damage your throat or somethin’?” She looked away, focusing on the cap she held below her hair, and carefully spooled it into the hat.

Choice had never been prominent in Gailene’s life. She was born a Hydraline, so she would follow the path of one. The people of Xysma were born into the prison, and that’s where they would remain. Still, skills mattered. Hamlin wasn’t expected to work in the factory because his power with fire gave him an edge in blacksmithing. Those with water were given washing jobs. It was a waste otherwise. “So that’s the deal? You figure out who killed those Cents and you become one?” That sounded crazy to the wind user, and her voice showed it. “Have you had any training?” Securing the hat on her head, she turned to look at the redheaded woman.

She sighed, seeing the fatigue in her eyes: enough to make her wonder why she kept going. “You’re doing great.” She added, trying to bolster her. It was only when Renee continued speaking that she saw the spark of determination fueling the older woman. She tried to imagine what she’d do if she hated her life. Carefree she may be, but duty called to her, like every other Hydraline. Still, she could see that the woman was making do with what she had. Just like everyone on Xysma. Well, those who weren’t rebelling.

Still, while following orders was important, she couldn’t help but think Renee’s commanders were shit leaders. You used someone’s skills--if they didn’t have them, then you trained them. At her confusion over who she was, Gailene interjected, “Fuck that. You’re what 20? 21? Younger? Who that age knows what they’re doing. No one. And those that pretend to are usually wrong. Your parents are shit.” As leaders at least; a good one wouldn't waste a resource like a Phoenix. She stood up, moving to stand in front of Renee. “You need to find a better leader or start making your own rules. Maybe this centurion thing’ll work out. But even then you’ll have to figure out what kind of Cent you’ll be. Don’t limit yourself. With time and training, you can be anything.” Motivational speech success.

You’re right about now though. You coulda stayed at the castle, but here, the only way out is through.” She tugged Renee’s hood further up, then asked, “You see any white?” Pointing up at her hat, she tried to feel around to see if any stray hairs were visible.

rozukitsune rozukitsune

IMG_2072.PNG_1_43.png

The crone grinned as the walls creaked around them, like they were screaming in horror at what they saw. There was tension in the air as she measured each man standing before her, three delicious treats she wanted to taste. Their flesh was young and full of life, strength and power. The passion of youth and purpose. It was a shame the mistress wanted them alive and untouched.

"Trouble?" There was amusement in her voice. "No no silly boy. You must be preserved."

"The Queen demands you be untouched! Demands it yes!" Her gaze snapped to Adrian but her head didn't move, like a hawk tracking a mouse. "No sacrifice yet! No pound of flesh!"

"I will sate the mistress this time." The crone faced the alter and bowed down in worship. Her voice became a whisper as she prayed to whatever entity, whatever monster it was made for. "Mother heed my prayer, deem me worthy! Cast your bones and read the many fates."

"Rouse from your slumber, sate your ancient thirst. Taste the blood given by our creator!" She took the sacred knife with one hand, grabbing her ear with the other. "Hear me mother."

"Reach from your realm of endless pleasures and perversion, scrape the marrow from your bones of wisdom!" She amputated her ear without a wince or whimper. The knife clattered to the floor as she leaned back clutching the wound, blood ran down her neck like rivers through a canyon. Her eyes fluttered open as she released a deep, pleasurable sigh.

"Good," she whispered as the painting faded away. The canvas cracked like it was aging centuries every second, and a shadowy figure rose from the surface. It lunged forward into the mouth of the crone, filling her lungs as she heaved out in pain, thrusting her chest forward and spreading out her arms. Her veins turned black and her eyes bulged before she fell forward, wheezing on the dusty floor.

"Damn." Adrian put his hand on his sword. "I liked that painting."

He didn't even attempt to understand what he was seeing; it was better to respond in the moment and ask questions later. He couldn't afford to be caught thinking when this shadowy creature, whatever the hell it was, could turn around and attack them. "Hmm... a shadow creature, incorporeal, enters through the mouth and controls the nervous system. Never seen this before."

His mouth curled into a frown. "Nobody has." He watched the crone twitch as blood pooled around her, her limbs bending beyond natural limits. He cringed at the sight and drew his sword by an inch. "You're the one who called us here, so talk."

"Yessss." Her voice was disembodied and electronic, resonating through the room from all directions. It was loud like stereos were blasting in the room. "This is my dominion."

"Adrian, Goliath, Faraji, three most handsome thralls." Her voice dripped with hunger. "There is something you must take, someone you must kill, someone you must lose. All fates come in threes." The crone stood and faced them once more, but this time she was different. Her eyes were black and an aura was around her, a darkness like the mouth of a cave. "Three fated travelers. You will sustain me and in exchange, sustain yourself."

"What are you?" Adrain asked. "What happened to the woman we just spoke to?"

"The vessel has no name!" The queen took a a heavy step forward. "The vessel is a mouse desperate for the scraps at my table, she is a nothing, a no-one!"

"But I am the norn who spun the web! The one who sees beyond the veil, who guides your nightmares and dreams in the night." Her face flickered with the image of the redhead, like a cracked screen showing her face. It was beautiful but haunting at the same time.

"Was that you?" Adrian said. "Before you died?"

"Died?" The Queen laughed with many voices at the same time; a chorus from young to old and everything in between. They hummed with energy as she grinned at the men. "No. There is no death for me that I do not choose."

Goliath Goliath Arcanist Arcanist

Last edited:
Renn 4.png
Renee couldn't help but giggle a little at the ridiculousness of that question. This? Easy? She shook her head, causing a few of her curls to fall out of the hood - requiring stuffing them back into it and pulling the drawstrings a little tighter so the hood encapsulated her head better. "I told you, I wasn't really given a choice. It was this or fall into obscurity... and my parents weren't going to put up with that. They worked too hard for too long to get me the best trainers and tutors so that I could be center-stage long enough to catch the eye of a High noble-man and finally break the ceiling on their Branch status. What I wanted was irrelevant. If you don't stay in the public eye though, they forget you exist and pick a new favorite. I was... kind of incoherent for a bit there. They thought it'd probably last too long to keep up the interest, so here I am."

She tilted her head at the next question then shrugged, "I guess? Why they picked this place to send me I'll never know. Maybe the powers that be have already decided I'm best used as a distraction to let the rest of you do your job here. Sure seems that way. As for training, no more or less than a usual starlet. Did yoga. Fencing. Light running. You know... fairly easy stuff just to keep me in shape. Obviously I studied music and geography and all of that kind of stuff too. I'm not sure any of that is really applicable to this though."

The sudden encouragement surprised her. Gailene didn't really seem like the type to just randomly throw out praise when it wasn't really earned. It felt weird and Renee rubbed an arm, uncertain how to feel about it. After that though, what the older woman was saying started making sense, and Renee's attention resumed it's focus on her. "Make my own rules...? Is that allowed?" She seemed both intrigued and bewildered by the idea, like it had never even occurred to her that that was an option. The insult to her parents made her uncomfortable again. They just wanted what was best for her... probably. Right? Someone with more money and power could protect her, and them... that's all there was in life. People with power and people without it. She definitely didn't have it, so she had to appeal to those that did. Still, Gailene's words made her reconsider all she thought she knew of reality, and she chewed her lip as she studied the other woman's efforts. "You missed one right - there." She absentmindedly reached out to poke the remaining stray hair, then seeing how covered Gailene's hair was; she pulled her hood tightly around her own head so only her face showed through and did her best to stuff any stray curls beneath the dark fabric. "How about me? Any orange?"

Lost Echo Lost Echo

1697476791552.png
Bracken crouched at the edge of the building, watching Ilyana and Dalton on the ground, listening. When Dalton moved inside, Bracken also dropped from his perch and followed him in.

Ilyana, much like himself, had little to say. Dalton however let loose a tirade containing words he had never heard before. He cocked his head like an owl at 'spag' and 'sand-pounder', having never heard the terms before.

"Astali. Warlike." Bracken said. He didn't know if they were the ones that had done this, but it wouldn't be a surprise if they had. "Many gods." He continued, trying to correct Dalton. It would be very bad if they interacted with the Astali and Dalton assumed they had no god. They had a very complex moral code tied to their religion, in point of fact, even if that moral code often condoned violence. Pounding sand was not part of any of their rituals, however. All that said, Bracken had traded with the Atsali before. They could be approached if you were careful.

Bracken had no idea how to communicate any of this, however, so he just said.

"Hope not Astali." There were other tribes that may have done this. The Astali were just the most likely culprits, and also the worst-case scenario for the kidnapped men. But he knew some other tribes held grudges against those not native to this land, and might hold the men for ransom, perhaps. "Joden-Ricoro Compact. Maybe." The Joden and Ricoro were two tribes that had found common cause. Originally to fend off the Astali, but lately to challenge outsiders such as the ones here. "Don't like you. But. More peaceful. Can talk. Good people. Better they have. Hopefully them. Not Astali." The Joden-Ricoro Compact knew him. He had often traded with them, while farther west. They wouldn't have murdered the ones here out of hand, not if they'd surrendered.

Jet Jet ZackStop ZackStop

unknown.png
Nihal had often heard of people conflating cockiness with confidence, but this was the first time he had seen someone completely lean into it. Maybe it was part of the role he was given. Those were common at his old place of worth, but most of them were usually more meek and accommodating. Then again, everyone had their tastes. Maybe whoever ran this place wanted to tap into every possible market.

That sad thing is, it probably would have worked on the performer if it wasn't for the circumstances. He would have taken this man's cockiness as a challenge to overcome, and- Bean cut in, taking one of the wine glasses. It was only then Nyaall noticed the one he was currently holding, realizing he had been more transfixed than he expected. Before much conversation could happen between the Centurion and Dante though, Bean walked off, getting into some verbal stand off with some of the guards. Nothing too unexpected there. They were definitely meant to follow, but... he glanced to the blond. He couldn't just leave someone who might have been in a similar position as he once was.

The popstar's eyes went back to Dante and then to Vixie when he addressed her. Yeah, going somewhere else, hopefully more out of the way would be a good idea. Maybe it would be a chance for Nyaall to question Dante and for the man to answer freely. Vixie, bless her, tried to put on a brave face. She had been giving it her all since they first started, even with so many people speaking out against her mere presence there. A break from all of this was well-earned for her, even if it wouldn't have provided Nihal with an opportunity for information.

"It's okay," he said. "Let's take a break. It's been a lot." He gave her a patient smile and nod, similar to the one on the battlefield, before he had lost himself in the past few days.

He turned back to Dante, deciding to play the posh role as well. "Oh come now. I'm sure you've heard of me. I'll give you three guesses for my name," he said with a smirk. "And going somewhere quieter would be great. We've had quite the trip so far. A moment of peace would be wonderful."
Jet Jet Lost Echo Lost Echo

The redhead was in agreement; he would also be relying on Mischa since she was so confident in her abilities to fight. Not understanding that it was a joke. Leon smiled as Rat put a hand on his neck. “Yeah, a punch or two, maybe. I would be better at carrying our heavy bags, though. And as for the games, I was literally the most anticlimactic fight. I've never heard so many boos. I just don’t know when to not get back up,” he shrugged. But the words were more meaningful than he let on.

Leon would do his best. He wasn’t a quitter. And people were always stronger when they had someone important to them to protect. Plus, maybe they could learn to combine their abilities just like he had done with his .. sister when they worked in the blacksmithing shop. Her mental bending mixed with his water to cool the temperature of the piece down. Leo didn’t see why his new group couldn’t also train together in the same way, but come up with synchronized or combo attacks or something? He knew he’d need to bring it up. But now wasn’t the time.

I don’t know much about the politics. Between the west and Nye or anything else in between. So don’t take my head for saying this,” he paused before deciding he trusted them enough to speak his thoughts. “But is Nye the good guy? Like maybe the people here weren’t even bribed. But from living here so long, and talking to a local group, it made them realize they had been fighting for the wrong side?” He mused curiously.

Leon nodded when Mischa mentioned she would hide in the desert, along with her assumption about the water barrels. It was really hot out, so surviving meant the supplies would probably be empty, if not close to it, if they chose to leave. “Yeah, I think that’s a good idea. Plus, we will know what supplies we will also have access to if you know .. something happens.

Leon was pretty proud of himself when they got to the last room, the nameplate validating his guess. He let Misha open the door, holding his breath as it was forced open. But it didn’t last long. This room was worse than the pig pen after a bad batch of slop. His eyes bounced from one drawing to the next, and there were a lot of them. Well done enough that he felt like he could understand each simple depiction in front of him.

One of the animals drawn Leo had never seen before, specifically enamored with it. But the portraits were even better done than the rest of the drawings, feeling as if he was staring directly at this woman. “Beautiful,” he whispered under his breath, tilting his head as Mischa and Rat spoke. “A crush? Maybe so. Does that mean we are here to investigate a love story? I’d much prefer to be in a romance movie than an action movie with the bad guys coming for our heads,” he joked.

Hey , Mischa, will you come check under this while I tilt it up? People love hiding stuff between their mattress and box spring,” he hummed, grabbing the edge and moving it out of the way without much issue, despite it being disgusting. “Well?” He asked curiously, hoping they’d find something interesting.

When Rat called them over, he put it back in place before joining. “You were right!” Leo bumped Mischa playfully as he repeated the name to himself. But his cheerful enthusiasm died down as the journal was opened and sat in front of them. Listening to Rat provide details about the large group. “Well shit..” he muttered. Leon did his best to read it, and he could make out most of the entry unless there was a weird or big word. But to no one’s surprise, school wasn’t his strongest skill.

Leon tapped his bottom lip in thought, trying to decide their next move. “So this woman .. lived in a town at least somewhat nearby, right? And we have a city name too. If we find a map .. and assume she didn’t set him up. Wouldn’t she be a really good option to talk to? She might have clues as to where the large group went, which could lead us to Kade and possibly the others as well?

Jet Jet (Mischa) Emphoa Emphoa (Rat)

2487365 (2).png
With a shrug, Spivey turned away from the group and pushed up the mask to chug some of the whiskey, the whiskey their new companion denied. It was rare gesture of kindness, but strangely genuine. "More for me." Spivey thought as the liquid burned going down. Capping it once more, they finally put away the bottle in one of the many pockets that lined the black jumpsuit, the mercenary prepared for their long walk. The distance wasn't an issue for them however, but the poor stare Rhys and Esther were in could prove challenging.

Pulling the mask back down, Spivey turned to meet the motley crew. "Well, you're not dead weight yet." They then nodded in agreement with Esther's sentiment to get a move on, but was admittedly caught off guard by the shortening of 'Spivey' to 'Spiv'. Spivey was already more of a nickname, making Spiv in a nick-nickname? Puzzling, Spivey thought, but quickly blew it off. "Would you relax? It was self defense! Besides," They, took a few steps back ready to turn and walk, then resumed speaking. "They're more afraid of us than we are afraid of them. That's an old saying, I'm surprised you've never heard of it. We'll be fine!"

Spivey began to lead the charge, narrowly avoiding an oddly jutting out rock, pointing at it while announcing. "Watch your step." All the while, they could feel sweat pouring out of them from head to toe. Black was not the best color in this jungle climate, and the suit was not particularly designed to breathe. The drunk huffed, which sounded more like pure static, but this is what they were built for. Preserving. Spivey could jog for miles in the tundras of Byzantine, something they had done long ago many times. Those memories came flooding in for a moment, a child among many others, no older than 10, pushing through the snow too afraid to stop. The harsh environment made Spivey strong, and was thankful for that. They still would have loved to put a bullet between the eyes of their captors, but that was a job for another day. "Gotta survive this first."

Meanwhile, Spivey employed one particular technique they use to stay cool in all the extra layers they insist on wearing. With the help of wind magic, Spivey was practically a walking air conditioner. Small wisps of wind began to travel around their body, relieving it of the heat that had built up. Spivey then pulled on the collar wrapped around their neck while the wind pushed all the heat out, breathing new life into the merc clad in black.

Lost Echo Lost Echo Arcanist Arcanist

a17c77c1d41f268f36611e8118de32aa-1-1.jpg

Darius stared at Elriel without moving his head, a slow gaze like the sun crossing the sky. He said nothing until the silence became awkward to the man, like his question was the dumbest thing ever asked. He smirked at the tension in the air. How he enjoyed watching them squirm like nervous kids waiting for a grade, but eventually he said one simple word, growled and drawn out for three whole seconds.

"Nooooo."

He marched outside and smiled at the wind in his ears. The rain pelting his skin like cold bullets. It reminded him of his time in the fleet traveling far across the world, braving dangerous storms and discovering new lands. How he missed those adventures, and they still called like a forgotten song from childhood, an ode to the seas he once conquered.

He'd rarely been happier than he was right now. The feeling of adventure was in the very air he breathed, a last hurrah before retiring to Valencia. He would make this his Mangum Opus. His swan song, a discovery to cement his name for centuries to come. "Airship be damned." He nodded at Adamaris. "We're equipped to handle any challenge your sea throws our way Magnus. Your white desert will be conquered and indeed, as Ada said, we'll return and drink as equals. Save your warnings for weaklings."

"Always they say these things," Magnus said. "I will reach the north! For Valhalla! For Freyr!" He was loud but there was no truth in his words, no mirth or weight. He was being sarcastic if anything. "I shall reach the north for my father! My brother! My—

"And then a wave flips them over, but what do I know? I am a simple warchief!" He rubbed his eyes like he was about to fall asleep, cocking his head before saying, "I will speak no more on this matter. It bores me." He went around the longhall to a barn with two big doors, made from the same unfinished wood. It creaked in the wind as he pushed them open, and inside was the silhouette of a ship. "The waves were not kind to her," Magnus said. "They battered her for many days and many nights."

"I often thought Freyr's hammer, like thunder roaring in the heavens, would split her beams and break her bows." The wind whipped his hair as the sky flashed above him, revealing his sharp, intense eyes. "That I was sure of."

"When the storm passed, I gazed into the brilliant sky above me. Beseeching the gods of storm and sea, I blessed this ship to carry me across the waves." His hand flashed with fire as he sparked a torch on the wall, then another and another after that, slowly revealing a wide, but very short ship. It had two hulls connected by four wooden beams, two masts were folded on the narrow decks. There were two stearing wheels and storage bins hung from the sides. It's skin was pockmarked and pitted from a long, voyage to the edge of the world, but—

"There is strength in her yet," Magnus said with a smile. "With this ship you will find your fate — as warriors of Jarnstrond, or bones at the bottom of the sea."

Emphoa Emphoa Goliath Goliath

Last edited:
Gailene wrinkled her nose. “You mean you reacted to thousands of dead people killed in front of you?” Playfully, she put her hand against her chest, looking over at the singer “How dare you!” she exaggerated the second word before shaking her head. “Well, you shouldn’t worry: I’ll likely be more of a distraction than you: they’re chomping at the bit to get a Hydraline. I doubt they’d recognize you now. Especially since it’s ludicrous you’re here.” There was a pause as the Hydraline reviewed her words, then added, “No offense.

As she went over her training, Gailene pursed her lips. “Well it’s good you’re used to running: we’re gonna do a lot of it here. Watch your footing though; and if you’re hurt, mention it. Hiding it won’t help anything.” She glanced down at the woman’s shoes, dirt was splattered across them, but they’d likely been new when she’d put them on. “Doubleknot those--no matter what shoes’ll come untied otherwise. Make sure they’re tight, but not enough to hurt.

At her confused question, the nineteen-year-old honked out a laugh. “I mean, sure? Why not? If you don’t have any other options make your own. Do what you want. You’re smart: there’s gotta be some shit you liked in all that studying.” She let the older woman fall into thought as she fixed her hair, before starting in on the redhead. “Woo-wee, your hair frizzed up didn’t it, without all that weight,” she commented, using her fingers to stuff the little curls under the hood.

rozukitsune rozukitsune

e1224f6d009b6c8389e2fd2652788029.jpg

"Hug?" Tawny awkwardly approached like a scared wild animal, arms raised and swaying like branches. They moved up and down as he gauged this mysterious thing named hug, He was pretty sure he knew what the word meant. It was something to conserve warmth when stranded in the arctic, or what you did when someone was sad. He wasn't sure hugs applied right now, but what did he know? He was a walking wrench in a human suit; not a leading authority on hugs.

"Hug." He wrapped around her without pressing up against her, a hovering hug like HR was watching. "Yes, good arm — good for hugs."

"Very warm." He stayed there without breaking contact with her. He wasn't sure how long this was supposed to last. It could be seconds or minutes or hours even, he wasn't sure either way. It was better to leave that to an expert like Yua. "I am warm like that," he glanced at her new arm. "On inside."

"Skin feels cold." He stepped back and looked down at his chest. He could feel heat lingering there. It wasn't much but he sensed everything, felt everything in detail. There were advantages to being different, even if the problems outweighed them. "You have family?"

"What they like?" His gaze was calculating like a computer, recording every piece of information he could. He wanted to understand people and this was a good chance to learn. "They hug when they see?"

In the other room, Isaac narrowed his eyes at the story he was told. He'd seen weird things and the libraries he once accessed. The information stored there. It was beyond what most people knew, beyond what they accepted as sane and rational. He'd researched the Enoch Tomes and Obelisk of Tywn. The scrolls of Parth and ancient pictographs, carved into the Blue Cavern walls. He knew things others didn't, and this story, this immortal enemy who vanished like a ghost. It reminded him of an old myth.

"Knox was banished for a time before reappearing at my side. It was a form of interference like jamming a radio with electricity." He paused and brought his hand to his face, rubbing his cheek as he leaned back. He wasn’t sure how much Felix would trust him. There were many who worshipped science without considering the divine, but it was the only explanation he could offer.

"However, your story—

"TIs far more interesting, reminds me of the Enoch Tomes, found in ruins dated to ten thousand years. They speak of dieties given human form, each with abilities reflecting their station. The Bearer of Gifts, the One Without Eyes, Speaker of Stories and Spinner of Fate. There are a dozen more in the Tomes of Enoch.'

"The One Who Builds," he glanced at Tawny's room. "Could be among us now."

"Your opponent could've been one of them too." For a moment he was lost in thought, reviewing the entities he read about. There were only a few fitting the strange story. "The One who Laughs, avatar of the Laughing God."

"The Kratorians worshipped them for countess millennia, and based on what I've seen, I hesitate to doubt his existence."

Last edited:
Renn 4.png
Renee nodded along to Gailene's sarcastic words, her mouth twitching with the irony that she was both correct for saying those words sarcastically and that was basically exactly the reaction of her "managers". The reassurrance surprised her though. "Why?" She blurted immediately. "I mean... no offense but I don't have any idea who you are." And then to the comment made to herself of that nature she shrugged. "None taken."

Her ears perked as Gailene gave her good advice, so she took it to heart, nodding enthusiastically. "I think I bruised myself a little getting here, but I'll be ok." She crouched down to tie her shoes as instructed, her head continuing to bob as more comments came her way.

As she rose back up, she took in her companion's amused expression and rubbed the side of her head - causing more of her curls to escape. She chuckled at Gailene's amusement, "Yeah... one of the reasons I had to have it long was it was a lot easier for the hair team to manage it with weight behind it. I'm gonna have an afro for months." She sighed.

Lost Echo Lost Echo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back