• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

The End Justifies

She laughed at his comment and carefully flexed her ankle, "Oh no, you don't. I'll be better in a week and then I'm back in heels. You can pull off that limp and still manage to look sexy. Me? I look ridiculous. Uncoordinated people should never hurt themselves, ever..."

Closing the door behind him, she watched him for a moment, took in the shift of his gaze, the almost nervous tension. There was no way it would break this soon? She should have hired Tony in the very beginning...

"Busy, hmm?" Smiling coyly, she nipped her bottom lip between her teeth, shaking her head, "Just promise you're not going to go pull Kyle and leave me here all alone? I promise, I'm going nuts."

Was she doing that biting thing deliberately to drive him crazy? He knew she wasn't but damn it was making his life even more difficult. And had she just called him sexy? He knew it was probably innocent teasing, hell he'd probably say something similar if she were a male friend and they were horsing around but now it just made his blood rush.

He smiled, "That's what friends do, right? Stop each other from going mad with boredom. Although, you'd probably look cute in a white jacket."

It was easy to fall into this banter with her. Too easy. Scary easy.

Dammit. Why Kyle? Why did it have to be Kyle?

"he won't mind if I'm here?" he hadn't spoken to Kyle. Stupidly he spent more time talking to her than his old best friend.

"Haha! Funny." She poked him, as she passed by him, gently in the ribs, "I prefer my hugs to come from other people, there, Dill. Not myself. You want something to drink?" She moved carefully, slowly, but she'd begun to put more weight on the ankle and all in all it was healing nicely. Killian had just about murdered her when he'd found out what had happened, but she'd smoothed things over by telling him all about the night she'd spend with the Blaithe Prince.

She'd be top shape in no time at all, and it was a worthy sacrifice if it meant getting that much closer to her goal.

"Honestly, I'm... I'm not sure I care what he thinks. He hasn't stopped by since Thursday, and that was just to pick up some work stuff he left. If he minds, he can tell you himself. Me, though? I'm glad your here... and it's my house, so I win."

Dillan smiled softly as he followed her, "Yeah, but he's my friend and I don't want to step on his toes." He meant that in more way than one.

He reached out, unable to stop himself from gently taking her elbow, to offer her support.

Damndamndamn.

"I... hah. I don't know. It's weird. I feel like I've known you forever..." But it had only been a few days. "is that odd?"

Looking over her shoulder, she shook her head, "Look, Dillan. Here's the thing. I'm a big girl, and I try to be humble, but, well... I'm aware that I'm not stupid, let's just say. While I would never besmirch his efforts, I have a feeling Kyle only stayed and took care of me as long as he did because he was upset with you."

Looking away, she sighed softly, "Sorry. I... I know we agreed not to talk about him. I just... Three days, Dillan. He couldn't make it three days, without going back to his old ways. It's like I only exist when he feels threatened. I just don't know if... I don't know if I can keep fighting for something if he's not willing to put in the work."

The lip again, pensively, this time, "...And I don't think it's odd, no. I mean, I'm sure there's a whole slew of things we don't know yet, but the fact that I know more about you than I do about Kyle just cements the notion that if anyone should feel uncomfortable here, right now, it's not you."

He couldn't stop himself, his hand rose, cupping her cheek, his thumb ever so lightly brushing against that poor, abused lip. God he wanted to kiss her so bad.

"He's an idiot," he said softly, "A real idiot..."

He wanted to tell her to leave, to dump Kyle and be with him. He wanted to pull her into his arms and kiss her like Kyle had. To claim her as his own. He wasn't used to this, to not being able to take something he wanted, someone he wanted. And it was killing him because he didn't want to be this person. Not anymore.

He pulled his hand back, frustrated with himself, with the situation.

"Maybe... I should hang around some more, make him jealous. Make him see what he could lose..." He offered, trying to sound casual, joking. But he was half serious.

And there it was... or almost. She couldn't push. Olivia wouldn't. But he was so close. So very close to the edge. She wouldn't push, but a nudge, a simple, innocent nudge. So when he pulled away, she reached instinctively for his hand, a gesture of comfort, of understanding, her fingers coiling around his, giving his hand a gentle squeeze.

"...Dillan." She offered, softly, almost apologetically, "You shouldn't get so stressed out about my problems. You're sweet, you really are, but it's not fair for you to have to deal with this, when I'm the only who needs to be taking care of it. I'm sorry, for dragging you into this mess... really."

Last edited by a moderator:
He curled his fingers around hers, this simple contact setting his heart into a race.

Maybe he wanted her so bad precisely because he couldn't have her. Maybe this insane attraction was just a trick of his mind. He didn't believe in love at first sight but he was starting to. Why did it have to be her?

"What are you doing to me?" He whispered, voice deep and husky with desire, "You don't even know, do you?"

He should leave. He shouldn't have come in the first place. He was playing with fire here. He brought her fingers to his lips, kissing them ever so gently, closing his eyes as he did.

She would pull away. She had to. She didn't want him. She probably didn't even know what she was doing to him, probably didn't see him the way he was seeing her.

What beautiful, beautiful madness it was. She could see the look in his eyes change, could hear the subtle shift of his voice and she knew she'd won. He surprised her, really, with having been so patient, but there would be no resolve now. And she would do nothing to stop it. Not yet. Olivia was hurting, she was vulnerable and lonely... In the end she would come to her senses, but now...

She should have pulled away. But she didn't. She stood, half frozen with shock, staring at him, and for a moment she seemed confused, but she didn't pull away.

"...We shouldn't." She said, softly, barely a whisper... but it wasn't disapproval. It wasn't denial. It was permission.

He groaned, soft and low, then madness overtook him. He closed the space between them, hand still clasping hers as his free hand rose to rest on her neck. He kissed her, soft and tentative and first and then with all the fiery need burning in his gut. He wanted her but this was more than just desire, so much more. It frightened him in a way, because he hadn't felt this before.

He tried not to think, tried to just lose himself in her but ... Kyle.

She was Kyle's girlfriend, not his.

He couldn't pull away. His fingers slid from her neck to gently cup the back of her head as he kissed her even more desperately.

She could almost hear the snap. The point of break, and it was the most glorious sound she'd ever heard.

She tensed, but only for a second, and then she was nothing but malleable, poured into his arms as she looped her own around her shoulders, pulled herself closer. For all the games she'd played to get him here, it wasn't the worst reward, really, and a part of her... the part of her that she kept locked away, the part of her that still possessed some doubt as to whether or not she should even go through with the charade, felt that intensity and wanted it.

She wouldn't fight him... she didn't really want to.

She wasn't pulling away, she wasn't fighting, she was, in fact, kissing him back. He grabbed her around the waist, easily lifting her and backing her up against the nearby kitchen island. Managing to only part their lips for a second, he lifted her up, hands grasping her legs as he leaned in to recapture her lips. He pulled her legs around his hips, hands sliding up once she was in place, to brace against her waist. Distantly he was aware that he'd knocked things off the counter to get her up but he didn't care. None of that mattered.

If something didn't stop him, he could easily take her here... right now... right on this freaking counter.

Gods. He wanted to. How he wanted to.

His hands slid up under her shirt, eager to touch something other than silky shirt.

And that would do it.

She could have let him continue. She could have had him right then and there and hooked him, and she was positive he'd never look back. But her's was a reputation she'd carefully crafted and she needed to be cautious, that she didn't lose it. Self-control was a necessity, in a person like Olivia.

Pulling back, she put a hand to his chest, her breathing fast, ragged, desperate, "Dillan. Wait... We..." A little slip of her resolution, as she melted into those blue eyes, her lips closing over his again, but then she yanked herself away, pushed him back, "No! Dillan. I... I can't. I'm not... I'm not that girl. I... I won't do this to Kyle. To you. I want to. God, do I want to. But I can't. You deserve better..."

He groaned, because he knew she was right. His hand slid around her back, his head falling to rest on her shoulder. He couldn't move, not yet. Desire ran so hot in his veins he thought he might explode, right here... just from this. He took a moment to collect himself, thumb lightly brushing against the base of her spine until finally, he pulled himself away. "I'm sorry," he said, unable to even look at her.

He ached when he separated them, his hands wanting so desperately to continue, his lips not done with her.

"I should go..." because he couldn't stay here, not if he couldn't have her. And he knew it wasn't fair to tell her that, so he wouldn't.

He reached up, resting his hand against his forehead, shoulders tensing as he breathed in through his nose. He had never wanted something so bad, and never been denied. This was hell. Truly hell and he knew it was punishment. He knew fate was punishing him, or karma, or whatever.

She reached out, but her hand hesitated over his arm and finally fell to her side. "I'm sorry, Dillan. I... you have to know I'm sorry. I want this, I do. I knew it... I knew it when you dropped me off after our tour. I knew it when you took me to that diner. But as much of a jerk as Kyle's been, I can't disrespect him that way."

Sliding off the countertop, she paused to adjust her skirt, toying with the top button her blouse, toying with him...

"...I just... I need time. I need to figure it out. What I'm feeling, what to do. I love him, even if it's stupid. And even if he sucks at showing it, I know he loves me. But it's not right, to either of us... to any of us, really... to force something that just isn't happening. I'll talk to Kyle. But until I do, I think... I think it's probably best that we don't see each other."

She was right, of course she was right.

"I... uh," he rubbed at the back of his neck, tried to sort his thoughts, "I'm not a good person."

He raised his head, daring to look at her, "I never have been, maybe I never will be. You-you deserve better than me, Liv but you deserve better than Kyle too. I don't know what the hell I was thinking coming here, this.." he waved his hands helplessly, "But..."

I want you. If I could have you...

He shook his head hard, backing away.

"... I'm yours if you want me."

The words slipped out before he could stop it. Then there was nothing left to say, what could he possibly say after that? He hurried to the door, eager to get out... eager to get away.

Loyalty. It was exactly what he needed to see... exactly what he needed to remember. It was the thing, in the end, that would keep him committed to her, no matter what Nancy or her husband tried to do, to separate them. And she had no doubt about it, that the Blaithe family would not sit by and let their son define his own happiness. They would interfere, and they would poke and prod at every hole. It would be her reputation. Her loyalty. Her respect, which would ultimately keep him from siding with those monsters...

There had to, of course, be time between her decision not to cheat and her decision to leave Kyle, but in the end it turned out to be easier done, than said... and in the end, Kyle surprised her one last time, making her life inconceivably easier and more difficult, all at the same time.

It was three weeks later, and she'd gone to his office to drop off lunch at his office. Things had been rocky, even with Dillan out of the picture, but she had not expected what she'd seen, passing by his car in the parking garage. The girl was unfamiliar - no doubt a secretary or temp of some variety, but it didn't take seeing much for her to realize why he'd spent so much time in the office. Kyle's horror at the realization that he'd screwed up was brilliant and desperate, but in the end it wouldn't be enough. She left the garage with one less boyfriend and exactly what she needed to draw Dillan back in.

Her only concern during their time apart had been that he might move on, even if out of rebound, but it seemed she'd made quite the impression, for in her surveillance she saw no attempts at soothing his broken heart in the arms of another. In the end it didn't really surprise her. Even Killian had to admit she'd done her job well.

Arriving home, she by passed the house and made for her landline and scooped it up, dialing the number she'd memorized from her cell phone. When the other line picked up, she didn't wait for him to speak, but instead, poured every ounce of emotion into the words she blurted out.

"...He cheated."

He did, in fact, seek the company of other women, but discreetly. Far more discreetly than he would have in his youth and in the end after one particularly dismal night with an old high school fling he realized he couldn't forget her by drowning himself in others... besides, he didn't want to use women that way. Not anymore.

So, instead, he buried himself in his father's work. Learning the ropes, the way of the company.

He was deep in study when the phone rang and when she spoke his heart skipped.

Relief? Concern. It was all there, all at once. Hope, even. Because she was calling him. And that had to mean something.

"You want me to come over?" He asked.

And he knew this ran the risk of becoming her 'rebound' but he didn't care.

"Please..." She didn't mask the desperation in her voice. He'd know she was broken, that she'd seek solace in him because he was the easiest target - but he'd asked anyway. He'd asked, because unsurprisingly, he still wanted her, and in whatever capacity he could get her, she imagined, he'd take her.

She couldn't appear too pitiful, of course, and had to resist the urge to throw herself at him, cheaply. It was inevitable, their relationship, but she needed to ensure it was started off on the right foot, and a tawdry tryst over a bad breakup was certainly not the way to go.

"...Please, Dillan. I really need a friend right now." The 'F' word. It would be enough to drive him mad. To make him question. In the end, she'd blow the word and the assumptions of the water, but it would do the trick to keep him reeled in, at least at the start. He wanted to rescue her, and she'd let him... and then she'd nail him and his family to the wall.

"I'm coming," he hung up before he could change his mind.

Friend.

She knew, she must know, that's not what he wanted but it was what he would give her.

On his way to the door, he met his mother. Nancy frowned, "Where are you going?" She asked.

"Just for a walk," he answered, avoiding her gaze. He disliked lying to her. He had sworn he wouldn't lie anymore.

"If you see that Brannen girl, let her know we're hosting a charity gala in two weeks. Make sure you invite her."

"I will."

He slipped out before she could ask more. Olivia was just next door, he was at her doorstep in minutes and this time he didn't knock, he tried the door and stepped in when it was unlocked.

"Liv?"

After hanging up, she'd poured herself a glass of wine - an absolute rarity - and sank down on the couch. It would appear to be a well earned pity party, but in truth, it was a celebration. Things were falling into place, and she hadn't even needed to go through with her initial plans for Kyle. In a way, him being a skeeze had made her life easier.

When Dillan walked in, she looked up at him, her eyes rimmed with red, her hand, which gripped the stem of the wine glass, quivering. She didn't burst into tears or hysterics, she didn't bolt to his arms. She just sat there, her expression hollow, her heart on display.

"...Three months." She finally said, looking at the golden liquid, sloshing around in the glass, "He's been seeing her for three months. A temp, of all things. And I knew. I knew it. No one works past eight o'clock in Real Estate. God, I feel so so stupid..."

Dillan moved, pulling up a chair to sit near, but not too near. Not so near that he couldn't resist the urge to touch her. "I'm sorry," he said quietly.

He really was. He didn't want her hurt. He never wanted that. But along with his regret, he was also hopeful. Just a tiny bit.

"... want to get sloshed?"

He had avoided drinking since joining the military but if ever there was a time, now was it.

She laughed, dryly, but genuinely, as she shook her head and set the wine glass down on the table, "I've been staring at that stupid glass for half an hour now. But I keep telling myself it's a stupid idea. I keep telling myself it's not the way to go. I just... I knew we were over. I was ready. I just never expected it to end the way it did."

Lowering her gaze, she let her eyes fall closed, tears welling behind her lashes, "I keep thinking it should have been him, hurt over it, you know? That he should've been the one crying his eyes out over a cheap glass of wine. But then I start thinking, how that's not fair, how he doesn't deserve that." Running her fingers through her head, she growled softly, in frustration, "I'm such an idiot!"

"No, you're not," Dillan shifted closer, reaching out to rest one hand on her knee, "Hey... he's the idiot. You tried to make this work, clearly he didn't. But I ... I mean, I can't say I think it's a big loss for you. I've known Kyle all my life and he's kind of a big loser."

He smiled, teasing, trying to help her feel better. But the smile felt forced, because right now he really wanted to pull her into his arms and just hold her.

"You deserve better, Liv. You really do."

"I've never felt so... cheap, Dillan." Shifting, she looked up at him again, "So worthless. And he didn't even try to deny it. He just... he just sat there and told me he'd made a decision. That he needed to follow his heart. I wanted to hit him... I wish I had."

Lowering her gaze, she stared at her hands, as if she could imagine one of them plowed into the bridge of Kyle's nose.

"I hate myself, for not figuring this out earlier. So much time, wasted with that... that weasel."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back