• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

The End Justifies

Elle Joyner

Fracturer of Fairytales
The End Justifies...

by

@NRTupper and Elle Joyner

fe848298ff74161568b81dda64ab0f3d.jpg

When I think of my father... the memories I have are not ideal. In my mind I am reminded of a man the world deemed a monster. A man whose crimes rocked the world and forever changed my life. Gone are the recollection of a little girl's idol. Gone is the laughter, the joy, the games and the dreams. In a safety deposit box in a bank in Zurich, I keep only one photograph. I am four, all curls and attitude and my father is a young man, eager and handsome. This is the last memory I have of him that is not tarnished by the lies which ruined our family. The lies told and perpetuated by the men and women he trusted...

The men and women I have spent the last three years of my life studying. The men and women whose propensity for violence, for dishonesty, for selfishness is innate. The men and women I have dedicated my life to taking down. My name was Jordan Cartwright. Six months ago, I died in a well-publized car accident.

Today, I am Olivia Brannen… Southampton’s new money. And I’m looking forward to meeting the neighbors.

~~

“Kyle, sweetheart… You didn’t tell me there would this many people.” Stepping out of the town car, Olivia hiked her shades to the top of her head and set her eyes on the string of yachts berthed in the bay.

Kyle’s laughter preceded him, and he slipped out behind her, his arms looping around her narrow waist, chin resting atop her head, “Because I knew you’d pitch a fit and find some excuse not to come. Baby, you know how crazy I look, talking about a girl I’ve been dating for six months, when no one’s actually ever met you?”

“I know, Ky. I know. I just... “

“Don’t handle crowds. I get it, babe. Just… just give me fifteen minutes, and then, if you’re still desperate to get away, we can jet. Fifteen minutes, that’s all.

“...Fifteen minutes?”

“Promise.”

Smiling gently, Olivia nodded and Kyle took her hand, leading her towards The Argo.

The Fourth of July banquet was Thomas and Nancy Blaithe’s annual pet project - a means of auctioning worthless knick-knacks so they could inevitably purchase more worthless knick-knacks, all in the name of fundraising for the poor and needy. It was all Bread and Circuses, and it was the perfect opportunity for Olivia Brannen to begin her mission…

Last edited by a moderator:
It was not Dillan's idea to come to the banquet, but his mother had begged and she had a way of twisting words that made him feel as if saying no to this was the same as breaking her heart. He'd already done so much to hurt her, he didn't want to do more... so here he was. He knew it was going to be an endless night of greetings and lying. This was his first 'public' affair since his return, there were a lot of people eager to see him, most old friends whom he had cut ties with after Frank... but some were simply hoping to catch his eye. As the only Blaithe child he was set to inherit a fortune, and there wasn't a mother or eligible daughter who didn't know it.

"Dillan!" A tall woman with ridiculously high heels, a skin tight white dress-nearly see-through in this sunlight, and with wavy blond hair that poofed out around her head like a hat, pushed her way toward him.

Margo raised up to kiss his cheeks, "Oh, you look delicious," she purred as she stepped back to take him in.

He didn't agree. He'd been in hospital three months, and had spent the next six months in physical therapy. He'd lost a lot of the muscle mass he gained while in training, and that he'd maintained so he could keep up with his fellow soldiers. He wore layers expressly to hide his less than ideal form. He was back in the gym now but so far he hadn't made much progress in the path to reclaiming his former glory.

"As do you," he said easily, he let his eyes wander over her, "why bother with the dress?"

"It is a bit see through, isn't it?" She grinned, not at all embarrassed. "But I heard you were injured?"

"A skiing accident," he said easily, it was the lie his mother had come up with.

"Nothing serious, I hope?"

"Broken bones... nothing serious." Serious enough that he would never walk without a small limp, and serious enough to grant him a discharge but not as serious as having limbs blown off, or what happened to Frank.

He grimaced at the memory...

Then, in the crowd, he spotted Kyle and that was a familiar face he was eager to see. "Excuse me, Marg, but I haven't seen that loser in years."

She reluctantly let him go. He made his way through the crowd toward Kyle.

"Holy crap!" As they arrived on deck, Kyle disengaged himself from Olivia and crossed the light wood planking to meet the brunette halfway, "Dillan Blaithe! I thought you were dead, man! Guess not all dreams come true."

Gathering the Blaithe heir into a tight hug with a solid pat on the back, Kyle pulled away and gave him a once over before, shaking his head, "Haven't seen you since what... graduation? Yeah... that party at Nick's. You and...whatserface... Katie? Riding off in that candy-apple Porsche your dad gave you for a grad-gift. We thought for sure she gave you the Clap or something."

Olivia shifted, imperceptible, and Kyle glanced over his shoulder and grinned, "Oh, hey. Baby, c'mere."

Looking up, Olivia approached, smiling gently at the pair.

"Dillan, bro. This is my girlfriend, Olivia. Olivia, this is an old friend of mine from highschool, Dillan Blaithe."

Holding out here hand, Olivia nodded, "It's a pleasure. This is boat is lovely..."

Kylie smirked and slid an arm around Olivia's waist, drawing her close, "Liv's not used to these sorts of shindigs." And over her head, he mouthed the words, inaudibly, "New Money."

Dillan grinned as he heard Kyle's voice. Man, the kid hadn't changed! And he was glad for it. Kyle had been a good kid, sure he could party like the rest of them but he never got as out of control, or as crazy as some of them. As Dillan.

He laughed as they embraced, adding his own pat to Kyle's back. And of course Kyle had to bring up the party. "She almost did," he said easily, "but I had protection."

That 'party at Nick's' had been the beginning of the end for him. The start of a desperate spiral that ended in the accident. Everyone knew about the accident, didn't they? Or was that something else his parents had somehow managed to hide. Had they paid off Frank and his family to keep them quiet? Dillan didn't know, so he didn't mention it.

New money. Which inevitably meant easy, naive, and most often desperate.

But Dillan was polite and shook the offered hand, "Pleasure to meet you," he said.

"Look, we really need to catch up, man. It's been years," literally, "but you know how these things go. People to meet, people to smooze... Why don't I give you my digits and we can meet up later?" Dillan suggested.

And just as he spoke his mother's voice called out above the noise, "Dillan?"

He glanced over his shoulder as Nancy Blaithe made her way through the crowd. And she was a vision, as always. She didn't necessarily look old enough to be his mother, and he knew it. But she had the best plastic surgeons, the best hairdressers, the most talented 'design' crew to make her look like the perfect doll she appeared to be.

She sidled up behind him, her hand moving to rest on his elbow, "Darling, I do need to introduce you to a few people. Oh hello... you are... Kyle? And this is?" She looked at Olivia.

This girl she didn't recognize and was quite certain she didn't invite. Not that it mattered, the more faces that arrived, the more items they could sell so as long as this girl had money she was quite content to let her stay. Ifshe had money.

"Ha. Yeah, right, man. Katie Wilson? Only protection that'll work with that one is mace... or a bat. Funny, cause last I heard she married Austin Spruce and cranked out three little brats." Looking up, he spotted the ever lovely Mrs. Blaithe and screwed on what had to be his most practiced smile, "Mrs. B. You are a vision, as always."

He followed the woman's gaze and Olivia once more extended her hand, "Olivia Brannen."

"Liv moved here a few months ago. I'm a little embarrassed to say, after I scooped her up, I kept her all to myself... but I figured it was high time I started to introduce her around. Actually, Mrs. Blaithe, this is some luck, running into you. Olivia is going to be your neighbor. She just bought the contemporary new construct, next door. We just closed the deal this afternoon."

"I know they say you shouldn't mix business with pleasure, but I swear I didn't know Kyle was a real estate agent when he asked me to dinner. Still, he's been immensely helpful. I had no idea you lived next door. You must come by when I've gotten settled." Her eyes shifted, moved to Dillan and she smiled warmly, "You're welcome too, of course. You and Kyle can catch up."

"Oh, how lovely," Nancy said, her smile softening at this news. The girl did have money and that meant Nancy was her new best friend.

"We would love to come by," Nancy continued before Dillan could say a word, "Is tomorrow afternoon too soon? I've been dying to see the inside of that place. I hear it's quite the spectacle."

More like she wanted to see the inside so she could judge just how expensive it was and just how rich this Olivia's family was. Dillan resisted the urge to roll his eyes.

"Wait," Dillan said, amusement softening his features as he looked at Kyle, "you're a Real Estate Agent? Dude, wow."

It suited Kyle though. The guy was good with people and really you had to be to do that sort of work well.

"He is," Nancy said, "and he is quite good at his work. Now, I'm so sorry, Olivia, Kyle, but I must steal Dillan. It was a pleasure. Tomorrow?"

Kyle beamed and Olivia knew, undoubtedly, he was pleased by the way she'd sunk her claws in to the family. They were Hampton's royalty, after all, and people like that were just the sort someone like Kyle could leech off of, in the best possible ways. He hadn't needed the job, but Dillan's thought process was on point. Kyle was great at what he did, largely because he was easily the biggest schmoozer the Hampton's had to offer. He was also a gullible fool, and easier to play than a child's piano. Not that Olivia needed easy. She'd trained for this... every aspect of her life attuned to these people.

The way she looked, dressed, stood, smile, spoke. She'd worn soft chiffon, in a floral print because the delicacy of the fabric, an implication of vulnerability, was sure to attract the male eye, but the femininity was surefire evidence to women like Nancy that she knew exactly how to carry herself. Her posture was impeccable, to suggest a formal upbringing, but she fidgeted just enough with her hands to imply uncertainty... Her smile was eager, but soft. Her words carried grace and influence, but strayed away from pretentiousness or arrogance. And speaking about the purchase of her new home, offering invitations to strangers, she would appear well-monied, but green enough that manipulative snakes like Nancy and her husband would feel oh-so-inclined to coddle her, until they could strangle every cent from her.

Pink painted lips curved, and she nodded enthusiastically, "Oh, tomorrow would be wonderful. I'm having it furnished, today, so you'll be just in time. It was lovely to meet you both." Her eyes shifted, just slightly towards Dillan, her smile warming, while subtly, she reached for Kyle's hand.

In the immortal words of Ursula... Don't forget the importance of Body Language...

"Enjoy your party." And turning away, she gently led Kyle off into the crowd.

In another life, in another time, Dillan might have noticed her, might have even set his sights on her but she was Kyle's girlfriend and he wasn't that person anymore. He quickly forgot about Olivia Brannen as he endured being introduced and in some cases re-introduced to his mother's many friends and acquaintances. Everyone here had 'money'. They were, every single one, wallets to his mother, and nothing more.

The only people she truly cared about was his father and him, and it was no easy thing to be the sole human she recognized as thinking and feeling. Even harder to fall back into the routine of the 'perfect' son.

By the end of the party he was exhausted, his leg ached and he wanted nothing more than to sit down with a stiff drink... something which he couldn't do. Sitting would work, drinking wouldn't. Not ever again. Not even once.

The night Frank was hurt had been one of the wildest parties of his young life. He couldn't remember all of it. At some point someone had pulled out white powder and he'd been more than willing to try. He did remember being in the car, the terrible shrieking and crunch as they hit the wall. More than anything he remembered coming to his senses and seeing Frank's bloodied face next to his own.

Frank didn't die that night, but he may as well have.

It was a miracle no one had been killed.

Being back here, among these hedonistic people, in this world... it brought back memories he'd tried so hard to push away. He didn't know what he was going to do, not for a career, not with his life, but he knew this place was toxic for him and he wasn't entirely convinced he was strong enough to fight the poison.

Nancy Blaithe wore a pencil skirt with a silk blouse and ridiculous fur shawl. At this time of year the thing was completely out of place but, as usual, she managed to make it work. The shawl was her way of asserting her control. The seasons did not dictate what she wore, fashion didn't even dictate it... she was the ruler of her own universe, in every way.

Dillan wore simple black jeans, a blue t-shirt that made his eyes seem two times bluer than they were and a sweater some might have called a 'grandpa's' sweater. Honestly he hadn't given much thought to his clothes. It would have been something he worried about in his old life, but now he just wore what was comfortable and 'appearances' be damned. Still, despite his lack of concern he knew he looked good. His mother would have sent him to his room like a child if he didn't.

She would have preferred he dress more like the aristocrat she wanted him to be but his attire was 'acceptable.'

Although she gave his hair a disapproving look. He knew it was wild with his wavy locks sticking out at all angles but again he liked the look even if she didn't.

His leg was still aching from the day before but he'd popped pain killers and hoped the pain wouldn't increase as the day went on.

"Be nice," Nancy murmured before she rang the bell and waited of her newest prey to answer.

The dress was simple - a powder blue a-line which came just above her knees. It was cool, flowing and showed off just enough of her figure without appearing as if she were trying too hard. She wore flats, because her smaller stature made her dainty, fragile even. She wore very little make-up... just a touch of eyeliner and mascara and the faintest touch of lip gloss and made darned sure before answering the door that she'd smeared -just- enough flour on her cheek to give her that slight imperfection... all the while throwing focus on the fact that she was competent enough to cook for herself.

Opening the door, she grinned, "Mrs. Blaithe! Dillan. Come in, please. I'm just finishing up in the kitchen. Kyle couldn't make it..." She'd ensured as much, because she had switched his schedule for the day, "But he wrote his number down for you, so you can get together later." Stepping back, she held the door, "Actually, he suggested we go out tonight, if you're free. He's requisitioning a club, downtown and he was hoping to show it off. I hope you haven't eaten, I was desperate to try out a new recipe, but I think I made too much. Would you like some tea, Mrs. Blaithe?"

"Oh dear, that's unfortunate," Nancy said as she stepped inside, "I was hoping to hear his sales pitch."

She smiled easily as she took in the entrance. Of course it was impressive. She'd done her research, she knew how much this place had been on the market for and she was not disappointed, so far. Not only was the building expensive, but it's furnishings were too.

Money and taste? The Brannen's may be new money, but they were promising.

"Oh, Dillan, that sounds lovely dear. He would be delighted to go," Nancy accepted before Dillan could form a response.

He smiled wryly, "Yeah, that's fine. I don't have plans."

He closed the door behind himself and paused as he debated if he should remove his shoes. It wouldn't be an easy thing, and he wasn't keen on stumbling over them in front of Kyle's girlfriend.

"Do you mind if I wear my shoes?" He asked.

His mother gave him a carefully veiled look that he knew meant she was annoyed at the question but she wouldn't correct him here in front of Olivia.

"I would love some tea, what were you baking dear?" Nancy asked, speaking over her son's request.

Olivia laughed easily at Nancy's audacity, giving Dillan a private, almost apologetic expression. Sparing a fleeting glance at Dillan's feet, she shook her head, and murmured a polite "Not at all.", then she gestured the older woman forward, into the living room.

Light bled in from the floor to ceiling windows, the white-washed walls reflecting the brightness, absorbing the warmth of the afternoon sun. The furniture was modern and simple, but elegant - blues and greens, and bright pops of orange and purple. A fireplace stood in the corner, brick painted white and on the mantel were several pictures of what appeared to be a deeply affectionate family.

"Please, have a seat" She motioned the couch which held a stunning view of the beach, the ocean at full tide sweeping across the beige-white sand, "I have Oolong, Green tea, Ginger... lemon... Ah. Really, you've got your pick. I'm not much of a coffee drinker, I'm afraid, but tea is something of an obsession. It's a bit embarrassing, really." Moving to the adjacent kitchen, she picked up a plate piled high with chocolate glazed profiterole and soft peach colored macaroons, "Please. Help yourself. Another guilty pleasure. My mom had a bakery... and when I was little, she taught me all her recipes."

"Green tea, please dear," Nancy said as she lowered herself into a seat with all the carefully learned elegance she could muster.

He hadn't paid much attention to her the night before, but Dillan had to admit Olivia was likable. He claimed one of the macaroons almost the second she offered it and popped it into his mouth, finishing it off with one impressive bite. His mother gave him a look and he just smiled a little and snatched up one of the profiterole's. "Delish," he murmured with a thumbs up of his free hand for Olivia.

"Now, tell me, you live here alone?" Nancy asked curiously, "It's strange but I've heard much about you but nothing of your parents."

And that was driving her mad, Dillan knew. He lowered his long limbs into a chair, sprawling out in a manner that wouldn't meet his mother's approval. It was a position that made him seem care-free and relaxed but in truth it just lessened the stress on his leg and eased his discomfort.

"What she's really asking is - is this your money or your parents," he clarified with a little smirk before he ate the profiterole.

After setting on water for tea, she returned to the living room and folding into a seat of her own with careful, practiced grace - though not nearly so practiced as Nancy. Olivia watched Dillan and laughed softly at his approval of her baked goods, "Thanks. I'm afraid I could never perfect them, like my mother, but I'm glad someone appreciates the work."

As the pair continued, her smile shifted, ever so slightly, softened... saddened, "It's a little of both, I suppose. I won't pretend that they weren't generous with me, but I've done what I can to invest wisely..." She rose again, moved to the mantle to collect one of the frames. This, she handed delicately over to Nancy, "My mother and father. They... they were killed in a car accident, several years ago. My brother, Charlie as well. I was taken in by an older Aunt, but she grew ill recently. She passed, in May. Kyle and I had been dating a few months, and he convinced me to move here... Something about how the atmosphere is good for the soul."

Sitting again, she folded her hands in her lap, then idly unfolded them, placing them on the arms of the chair, picking absently at the brocade fabric, "I miss them all, terribly, but I've done alright for being on my own. Kyle offered to move in with me, so I'm not alone, but I'm a bit old fashioned, so we've decided to have a security system installed, instead. Though I imagine having you next door, I'll be safe enough." This, with a winning smile to Dillan.

Dillan's good mood plummeted when she revealed how her parents had passed. This place... it was just determined to drive home the point, wasn't it? Nancy studied the picture a long moment before setting it aside, "My dear, I am so sorry."

Appetite completely destroyed, Dillan grabbed another macaroon anyway. Anything to pretend he wasn't as bothered as he was by her revelation.

She couldn't know about the accident then. He was quite sure she wouldn't be this accommodating if she knew he was the sort to drive drunk and high and nearly get people killed.

"This is a good neighborhood," Nancy said, seeing how the girl looked at her son and storing that away for later, "so I hardly think you have anything to fear but there is no gate keeping the riff raff out and you never do know what can happen. On this point I must agree with Kyle, a security system would be best."

"Wasn't the Johnson kid stealing from people's yards for a bit there?" Dillan asked.

Nancy laughed, a high pitched, forced sound. Oh, she was not happy with him for bringing that fiasco up. He smirked, shooting a quick wink at Olivia. He was messing with his mom more than her and he hoped she understood that. He'd never want to scare the girl. Scaring women wasn't really his 'thing'.

"No, no, you're remembering wrong," Nancy said quickly.

"Hm. Funny," Dillan murmured.

"You know, since you're new and all, perhaps Dillan could show you around? He's only just returned and I'm sure he'd like the excuse to explore his old neighborhood."

Wait. What? Dillan blinked, too surprised to object. That was the sort of line his mother would use if she was trying to set him up with someone but surely she wasn't trying to set him up with this girl? This currently dating Kyle girl?

"Oh, thank you. It was some time ago, but some wounds never heal, I suppose." The teapot began to trill and she stood to collect a trio of delicate porcelain cups, filling each with hot water, before collecting a box of hand pressed tea bags. These she put on a tray, setting it in the center of the coffee table. "Please, help yourself."

Eyeing mother and son and their intricate, poorly veiled game, she smiled again, shaking her head, "Well, whatever the case, I know I'll sleep better knowing I've got someone watching over me." She reached for a cup and selected a rose hibiscus tea, unfolding the bag and laying it carefully in the water. A plume of red swirled through the clear water, and she watched it for a moment before Nancy continued.

Looking to Dillan, she smiled, "That would be wonderful, actually. Kyle offered, but he's always so busy and I'd feel terrible if he had to take a day off, just to give me the lay of the land."

Nancy claimed her tea, stirring delicately and smiling, "It's decided then."

"Is it?" Dillan murmured. He had no interest in playing tour guide, but he wouldn't outright refuse either.

"So, dear, what do you do then?" Nancy asked. Because even if the girl didn't have a job she must have 'some' hobby. After all, no one sat around doing nothing.

"Interior decorator," Dillan said, "Mother, really. I'm sure she's quite tired of your questions. Olivia, why not ask us some questions then? Like, for example, why the hell is she wearing fur in the middle of summer? Hm? Or, why do I still live with them despite being 25? And I'll answer, their house is large enough, why not."

"Dillan!" Nancy gasped, "Really."

Dillan shrugged, "Just making conversation," He murmured, reaching for his cup. He didn't add tea, he drank the water warm and unflavored.

She had the good graces not to smile or laugh, but there was a spark of amusement in her eyes as she met Dillan's gaze, shaking her head.

"Honestly, I don't mind. Besides Kyle, I don't really know anyone in the area, and it's nice... getting to know new people. Right now, I volunteer for an art gallery in the city. Just something to do. I'm an enormous fan, see... of painting. It was part of the appeal, I suppose, to this house. The sun room opens up right to the beach. I've already bought the canvas and paint, but I'm afraid if I start, I'll never stop."

She laughed softly, taking a sip of her tea, "But Dillan's right... I shouldn't monopolize. Please, tell me about yourself...?"

~~

The afternoon when swimmingly. Nancy, it seemed, enjoyed little more than flouting her own personal accomplishments and those of her family, and Olivia knew all the right questions to ask, to keep her gabbing. It was only when the sun began it's decent towards the horizon that their lovely chat came to a close.

Nancy, of course, insisted that Dillan make good on his offer to lead her on a tour, remarking that there was no better time than at sunset, and Olivia politely accepted the offer, leading the older woman to the door where she would make her solo departure. Afterwards, she went to her room to collect a sweater, then met Dillan in the foyer with a small, sheepish smile.

"...You really don't have to do this, if you don't want to. It was nice of your mother to offer, but I understand if you'd rather not...?"

Dillan waited with his hands in his pockets, shoulders hunched. The pain killers had kicked in and his leg didn't hurt as much as it could be but in the end he knew walking was the best way to combat his injury. He still wasn't 100% healed, despite all the physio and work they'd put in and his therapist had made it clear he needed to stay active. If he was going to walk anyway, he may as well do it with her.

"No, it's fine," he said, "I have been meaning to take a walk, get the lay of the land again. Can't promise I know where everyone lives anymore though, it's been four years."

He held the door open, waving his hand, "Ladies first."

She was Kyle's girlfriend but honestly he was enjoying her company. She seemed to appreciate his sense of humor and she was intelligent. The only thing he didn't like was just how careful she was, about everything. That was to be expected though. This wasn't really her world, not if she was 'new money'. She wouldn't necessarily be used to the ins and outs of this place.

Dillan could get away with a lot, being the son of the Blaithe's he had carte blanche to do whatever the hell he wanted, society be damned. But she wouldn't have the luxury. One wrong move and she would be shunned.

The rich could be cultish in that way.

Once they were outside he fell into step beside her.

He was content to be quiet for now. The last few hours had been a never ending string of questions and answers and honestly the quiet was kind of nice.

"The old Hanson place," he gestured with his thumb to a sprawling estate several doors down from hers, "whatever you do, don't find yourself at that doorstep. Don't know if Hanson is still alive but that place is a freaking nut show."

Hands in the pocket of her sweater, Olivia walked with an easy pace, something in her posture more relaxed, comfortable. The silence wasn't stiff or boring, and he was friendly enough, and she could sense in his expression that he might be warming to the idea that she wasn't the typical useless trophy-wife material. All in all, it was running smoother than she'd imagined.

"Oh ho... Good to know. I will definitely be sure to steer clear. Actually, now that I think about it... Is he an older man? Grey hair just about everywhere but the top of his head? Kind of... bent? I think he may have tried to run me over this afternoon, while I was out walking. I recognize that Audi."

She turned to Dillan and flashed a smile which made it impossible to tell whether or not she was serious. Before they went on, she bent down to unlatch her sandals, slipping them off and holding them by the straps. Looking up at him, she bit her lip and straightened.

"I realize how unorthodox this is, but sometimes, you just have to let go a little. Just don't tell your mother. I imagine she'd be horrified, and I think I rather like being in her good graces. Where to next?"

"That's him!" Dillan said with a laugh, "Just keep off his lawn and he might let you live."

He paused as she took off her sandals, resuming their old pace once she was barefoot. He was less worried about unorthodox than he was about whether that would hurt her feet or not.

He shrugged, "It's probably wise to stay in her good graces."

He led her to all the hot spots, pointing out the homes of big names that would matter if she wanted a social life, dropping little hints about how to deal with this family or that. It wasn't until they'd reached the beach that he realized he was really, truly enjoying himself. He wasn't sure why but he felt at ease with her.

"So," now that the 'tour' was done he would lead her back up to her house along the beach, "Kyle, huh?"

He didn't want to ask her yet more questions but it was really bothering him. He just couldn't see Kyle with a girl like this, "How'd you two meet?"

"Ah." She chuckled softly, nothing the impossible to miss intonation in the question. How perfectly, it worked to her advantage, "Yeah. I realize I'm not exactly the type of girl you're probably used to seeing with him. I try to be refined, but let's face it... you can take the girl out of Minnesota, but you can't take Minnesota out of the girl."

She shrugged, chewing thoughtfully on the corner of her lip, before she looked over at him, "It's a funny story, really. You're gonna think I'm a complete klutz... probably because I am, but we actually met when Kyle hit me with his car. I realize how that sounds... but I swear, I barely even had a bruise. It was right after my Aunt had passed and I was leaving my old apartment, when I slipped off the curb and fell right into his bumper. I was perfectly fine, other than being horribly mortified... but Kyle insisted he take me to the hospital. I told him he could meet me half way and take me to lunch... and well, after that, the rest is just history."

Smiling, she allowed a soft sigh, digging her toes into the cool sand, "...He's been really great. I just wish he wasn't so busy. I barely get to see him, anymore. Of course, he's really excited about going out tonight. He talked you up quite a bit, after we left the party yesterday. Said you two were great friends back in highschool?"

Dammit, he wished she'd stop chewing on her lip like that. It just brought his eyes to that lip and absurdly he wanted to kiss her. Had he really been this deprived? He needed to call one of his old girlfriends maybe, work off some... frustration.

"Holy fuck," he exclaimed at her story but then he quickly apologized for cursing.

He laughed softly at the thought of Kyle chatting him up. That was good. Kyle was one of the few he remembered fondly instead of with a touch of bitterness.

"Yeah, Kyle was a good kid. A real great friend," the wind and softly rolling tide hinted at an incoming storm. The sky was still clear but he could feel it. Even all these years later this place was still home and he knew it too well.

"I mean, he's a Real Estate Agent now though, not sure how I feel about." He laughed, "But, honestly, he was the only one I was really looking forward to seeing again."

So far he'd avoided the majority of his old friends. He didn't know how strong he could be in the face of them. He hadn't seen Frank either. Those first few years after the accident he had worked hard to make things right with Frank but he didn't think that was possible. But still, he felt obligated to try.

"He didn't tell you..." he grimaced at the thought, "He didn't tell you about our band, did he?"

If she was into the arts, he was willing to bet Kyle tried to use that old band to try and impress her.

With all the propriety of a well behaved debutante, she grimaced at the swear word, but a hint of a smile played on her mouth, growing only wider at his apology. Adorable. And all too easy. Manipulating him would be like melting butter in the microwave. A few buttons pressed and he would be liquid in her hands.

"Now, be nice. Not all real estate agents are mind numbing leeches, desperate for their next commission. Really, he's good. I probably would've been sold on the Dune house, even if I weren't his girlfriend." Through the thin fabric of her sweater, a chill bit at her skin and she shivered, rubbing her arms with palms.

"A band? You're joking? He did not mention that... Oh please, tell me you've got pictures. Video would be even better! I can't imagine it, but I'm sure it was something to see..."

Seeing her shiver, Dillan slipped off his sweater before he could stop himself. It was thicker, warmer than the one she wore. He draped it over her shoulders before she could protest - if she would protest but he presumed she would.

"Oh, so he didn't tell you? Let's just pretend I said nothing!" He laughed, hands sliding into his pockets. He was chilled in just his t-shirt but he was nothing if not properly raised and if a girl was cold, you made her warm.

If she'd been his girlfriend, he would have just wrapped his arms around her and warmed her up that way but that wasn't exactly an option in this scenario.

He chuckled, "But I do have pictures, and video... and I'm half tempted to show you just to embarrass little Mr. Real Estate."

Reaching up, she drew the sweater around her torso. It was probably little more than an instinctive gesture, but it was warm and further proof she'd already had him wrapped and that was enough to bring about a genuine smile. She would not protest, except the slightest expression of concern as she looked at his bare arms, one extinguished by a radiant grin as he continued.

"Oh, no you don't. You're not getting away that easily. What did you sing? I mean... what genre? Was it like... a cheesy boy band, or heavy metal? Did you have outfits? Tell me you had outfits. What did you play? What were you named??" She laughed, endearingly and embarrassingly loudly and covered her mouth with her hands, shaking her head, "OH, Kyle is gonna kill you... Bring them tonight! We can watch them with Kyle. Then he can't deny it was him..."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back