• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

The End Justifies

And at her request Dillan began to sing, "It starts in my toes and I crinkle my nose where ever it goes I always know that you make me smile please stay for awhile now..." He broke off, dissolving into laughter, "Oh god! We had this brilliant idea of singing only female oriented songs. God, we were such douches."

But it was nice to think about, nice to remember, even better to laugh, genuinely laugh. It felt like he hadn't done that in a long while.

He smiled at her, "Kyle was our guitar master, I was the vocals because I lack any talent," but really he was a strong singer, his mother had made him take lessons. He didn't much care for it though, "and uh Frank was our drummer." His voice trailed off at the end.

Fuck.

His smile faded, humor lost at the mention of the third member of their band.

"What about you?" He asked, desperate to change the subject, to refocus the discussion, "What embarrassing things have you not told Kyle yet? Were you a cheerleader? Member of the math league? La leche tutor?"

"Stop!" She laughed again, and have his arm a gentle tap, "You did not! And that song, in particular? Oh, it's no wonder Kyle didn't tell me... he won't hear the end of this."

But as he went on she could see the expression change, could see that he'd touched on somewhere he didn't want to go. She kept her face even, but there was sympathy in her gaze. Whatever it was, it was important, and eventually she would dig it out of him, but for now, she let it go. She couldn't push too hard...

"Well, considering my lack of coordination, I was definitely not a cheerleader. I did volunteer as a Candy Striper for one summer. Complete with the mortifying pink and white striped uniform. Lucky enough, I avoided any photos." She winked, "Oh, and I worked for an ice cream parlor that made us wear these ridiculous cone hats... But if I told you the name of the company, I'd have to kill you."

Looking up again, she frowned. They'd reached the row where her house was situated. "That was fast..."

"Hm... very cool, very cool." Dillan murmured.

She was a good girl then. The kind of would never have gone near teenage Kyle. Clearly Kyle wasn't the person he used to be, and that was good. He looked up at her house and honestly he was disappointed. He knew he shouldn't be but damn, she was easy. Being with her felt like being with the people he'd known outside of town. People who didn't know his past, who just treated him like another regular human.

"Shit," he glanced at his watch, "well, guess I'll see you an hour or so."

He laughed at that, "Sorry. We kind of monopolized your day."

He was so hesitant to go, but finally he stepped away, pulling a hand out of his pocket to wave, "Hey, text me our location. Kyle has my number."

Olivia smiled at his apology and shook her head, "Hey, it's fine. I'm the one who wanted the tour... and honestly, it was nice. But I should go get ready." She put a hand on his arm, only for a moment, her smile warm and sincere, "Thanks for the tour, Dillan. It was fun."

Turning away, she made for the path which would lead to her house, giving him a wave before she slipped inside. Brilliantly, she'd neglected to give him his sweater... which would inevitably come in handy, if the evening didn't go as planned. Once inside, made for a small chest in the corner, beside the fireplace and opened it, sliding back a small panel. Kept in the compartment was a folded letter she had read many, many times. Holding it to her chest, she closed her eyes, before digging out her cell phone, dialing Killian's number.

~~

An hour later, the town car pulled up outside of The Factory. Kyle had spent a pretty penny revitalizing the old warehouse, turning it into what promised to be one of the most popular night clubs the city had to offer. Already, people were lined up outside, waiting for entry. Olivia, dressed to kill in a tight white dress, her lips painted vibrant red, bypassed the line, giving the bouncer a hearty part of the shoulder and the head's up to keep an eye out for Dillan.

With a nod of acknowledgement given, she smiled and stepped inside, heading straight for the VIP lounge.

Dillan knew enough to dress up a bit for this event. He wore dress pants, a soft blue dress shirt and a leather jacket... because he could and he didn't want to be suited up properly.

He drove his jeep. In a previous life he would have insisted on a vehicle far more... 'showy' but these days he didn't care what people thought. He just liked his jeep.

At the door the bouncer knew his name and gave him instructions on how to find Kyle and Olivia. He stepped inside, the chatter of voices, the steady thrum of music and the dim lights were a memory he had left far, far behind. He immediately tensed as he made his way to the lounge, as per the bouncer's instructions.

He didn't want to be here.

Already anxiety was clawing at his chest, but he had to at least make an appearance. Freaking Kyle.

There were familiar faces in the crowd. A few called out his name. He waved, smiling what he hoped looked like an easy, comfortable smile. Shit. IN the corner he spotted Peter, Roxy and Lin. He hurried the last few steps to the VIP lounge, pushing his way through the last bit of people to stumble in.

She'd expected Kyle to be there ahead of her, but instead found one of his lackies - a small mouse of a man, who dressed sharply, but in a way that made him appear embarrassingly ill-put together. His watery eyes were huge, faded blue pools and his nose was pointed, curved at the end, his lips too full, his teeth small chicklets, too white to be natural.

"Liv, babe. Kyle called. He said he got held up at the office, and you should go ahead and get started without him."

"Right..." She said, with a curt nod. It wasn't part of the plan, at all, and the change made her irritable, "Thanks, Dean."

Turning around, she spotted Dillan, prompt as anything, making his way through the crowd. There wasn't time to rethink... to plot. Graciously, she was fast on her feet. Slinking into a chair, she pulled her phone from her purse and stared at it, as if willing it to ring. She only looked up when she heard Dillan enter the lounge.

"Hey." She said, and edged a bit of discomfort into her tone, "...So, um. Kyle's gonna late." Nibbling her lip, she gestured to the table, "I guess we can just wait?"

Fucksticks.

Dillan tried to hide his irritation as he took a seat at the gestured to table. Hopefully the others hadn't spotted him and weren't making their way here. If Kyle had been around he would have said high, made up some excuse and high tailed it but now he was kind of stuck.

"Guess you're stuck with me a bit longer, huh?" He said, trying to act normal even as his heart and head were racing.

He hadn't seen those three since he ran. And that's what he'd done ultimately. He'd run away from himself, from this world, from the hurt. He didn't know if he was ready to see them, even now.

"Nice place. Music is... uh... not what my band would have played but it works." A joke to lighten not only his mood but hopefully hers. He could see that she was either irritated or disappointed. He wasn't sure which but he was guessing disappointed. No show again. What the hell was Kyle thinking anyway? Leaving a girl like this on her own so much.

In another life Dillan would have wooed her away from Kyle, and judging by how she'd been flirting with him earlier - he had noticed the multiple arm touches, it wouldn't be difficult.

"I don't mind." She said, but there was a wave of frustration, though none aimed at him, behind her tone. "I wish I could say it wasn't like him, but unfortunately, work always trumps personal, with Kyle. God, I'm sorry... I don't mean to complain about him like that. I know he's your friend. It's just... it's frustrating, not being a priority."

Shifting in her seat, she looked to the door, hopeful, but ultimately disappointed, "It's not really my style. I only come because Kyle wants to build steady clientel, and being here helps. Ironic, considering." Looking at her phone again, she set it on the table with a small sigh, before forcing a smile, "But enough about that. Did you want a drink?"

Dillan shook his head, "No."

Really he didn't want to be here period.

He sunk low in his chair, glancing over his shoulder as he did but there was no sign of Pete and the others. Not yet anyway. "I uh..." he really didn't want to leave her here. He barely knew the girl but he felt... well, bad for her.

"It's a nice place," he muttered, at a loss for words when all he wanted was to excuse himself.

Biting her lip, she sank back against the chair, looking up at him. "You don't have to stay. Really. I'll just tell Kyle you weren't feeling well, or something."

Her posture was defeated, and in a lot of ways it wasn't entirely an act. Kyle had thrown her, and his lack of appearance put a kink in a plan that had, thus far, been going swimmingly. Of course, Killian always warned her to have a contingency plan, in case something like this happened, but she had been so sure...

"...Really, it's fine. I... I'll be okay. I've gotten pretty used to eating alone."

Dillan did push to his feet but he did so to walk close and hold out his hand, "Come on." He said.

"Look, Kyle dumped us both, so we're in the same boat. I don't know about you but this isn't my gig. Let's go. Let's just go and have a real fucking good time without him. I'll take you to a nice quiet restaurant, we'll eat, I'll show you video of Kyle being an ass... if he calls, he can come and find us but I think we both deserve a good night and sadly we aren't getting it unless we claim it for ourselves."

It probably wasn't okay to take his former best friends girl out for dinner but it was innocent. It's not like he was doing this for any other reason than to be nice. Really. Mostly he was offering because he did feel bad for her but he didn't want to stay here to do the comforting.

Looking up, Olivia met his gaze with genuine surprise. Everything she'd seen and read about him suggested he wasn't the type to give much thought to others, no matter their predicament. How thoroughly out of character for him, then, to be concerned about leaving her behind. Still, it didn't matter. He'd given her the exact contingency that she needed and it brought a smile to her face with lit her up.

Taking his hand, she rose out of her seat and grabbed her purse, bowing her head in a nod.

"I think it's only fair, considering he left you in my poor company. I'm sure he'll show up with some excuse or another, but right now, I don't really care. Dinner sounds great. Especially anywhere but this place..."

Ever the gentleman, Dillan tucked her hand into the crook of his arm as he led her out but... it was just his bad luck. The moment they stepped out the door they were face to face with Peter and Lin and it was pretty clear Pete was as high as a flipping kite.

"D-bag!" Pete exclaimed, "I thought that was you man but Lin was all - no way."

He leaned in for an awkward, sloppy hug. Dillan pushed him away as discreetly as he could, "Hey, hey. Long time no see, losers."

Hard to pretend he was totally okay with this.

"Who's this pretty chick?" Lin asked. He was a big man, towering over both Dillan and Olivia.

He was also the type who would gladly get a girl drunk so he could do what he wanted. No never meant no with Lin.

Dillan slid his arm around Olivia's waist. Hopefully she'd play along, or forgive him for it later. "She's with me. Look, we have to run. Got plans and all."

"No, man! We need to catch up!" Peter complained, grabbing at his arm.

A quick touch, right under Peter's arm, was all it took to make the other man let go. Peter stumbled back, looking surprised and Dillan took his momentary confusion to pull Olivia away.

"Night guys! Party hearty!"

He'd learned that little trick in basic. He knew others. Disabling people without seriously hurting them was a little known but handy skill.

What he really wanted to know is why those goons were allowed in here. Kyle, maybe, wasn't as matured as he'd hoped. He wasn't in the drug scene now was he? He'd never seemed the type. Alcohol, sure, drugs? Not usually.

It was uncomfortable, to put it mildly, and it took all of her strength and training not to break out into an enormous grin as the scene unfurled. These, she was sure, were people from his past, but apparently they weren't as privy to his newly contained behavior as she was, and frankly, that told her all she needed to know about just how 'redeemed' he was.

When his arm looped around her waist, she played along, her smile soft and elegant, but not without a level of discomfort at those who were so obviously out of her own social circle, and it was with a sigh of relief that she allowed herself to be led away, leaving the confused party in their wake.

She waited until they were outside and well away from the doors before she looked over to him, brow quirked, "...Care to share?"

Dillan let her go as soon as they were free of the club. "Sorry," he murmured as he released his hold.

And he knew she'd ask questions. Of course she would. He ran his hand through his hair, messing it up as he did, not that he cared.

"Look, I uh..." he laughed, but it was a humorless sound, "I haven't always been the best person."

He looked down at her with a helpless shrug, "and those... aren't exactly the best kind of people. Just... you know... if you see them around again, just be careful. Don't ever let yourself be alone with either."

Nodded, she wrapped her hands around her arms, "I'd be lying if I said I hadn't suspected... I mean, Kyle said something, right after I first met you. Something about how he was surprised you were sober. I figured he was just joking around, but not so much, hmm?"

Smiling, she cocked a sideways look at him, "A security system at home, and now this. I'm starting to think I made a mistake, leaving Minnesota behind. But don't worry, I'll keep my distance. And I'll give Kyle the heads up, if I ever see him again. He's not big on that type of crowd. Not too good for business."

And that was that. All she needed to say on the subject. She could pick, could prod at those wounds, but it would do her no good, "So, where too... D-bag? By the way... worst nickname in the universe."

"You know, if you're not comfortable you don't have to have dinner with me," Dillan said quietly. He was hit with a fit of insecurity. Maybe she was just saying yes because she thought she couldn't say no? Hadn't she said she wanted to befriend his mother?

"I won't hold it against you."

It would be a first. No matter how rotten he'd been in the past people always wanted him around. Because of his family, because of their money. They never gave a shit about him but back then he'd been easy enough to get close to. Well, if you had money. He wasn't so kind to the less fortunate. He still had his moments, even now. He couldn't help but think the poor wanted something from him. He didn't like being that way necessarily but he'd learned early on people weren't always genuine, especially when the heir to a large fortune was involved.

He laughed when she mentioned his nickname, "It really is the worst..."

And then he had to wait for her response. If she said she wanted to come still he'd lead her to his jeep, if not he'd offer to walk her to her vehicle, wherever it was. He'd insist on driving her, and coming back later for whatever ride she'd brought here.

"Well, we are just about the most polite people on the planet, aren't we." Laughing softly, she shook her head, "Dillan... Listen, maybe it's a bad idea, maybe it's not fair to Kyle, but right now all I want is to have dinner in a nice restaurant, where they don't serve ridiculous cocktails named after celebrities, and the music isn't one decibel above deafening. And I'd like to have that dinner with you. You have been so incredibly sweet to me, all day... so call it payback, or something, but if I didn't want to do this, I would've just stayed and waited for Kyle to show up. Though at this point, I'm thinking that would probably be a really long wait and I'd likely just end up microwaving a lean pocket, when I got home."

Lip pinched between her teeth, she gestured again, "So... I repeat. Which way?"

Dillan smiled and this time he took her hand, clasping their fingers together easily as he pulled her to his jeep. She was an odd one, but he liked it.

"I have the perfect place, and on a night like tonight it'll be mostly empty. So we can eat in peace and laugh at Kyle's expense without worrying about disturbing anyone."

His jeep was covered in mud from back road driving he'd done a few days before. It stood out among the perfect, gleaming sports cars and expensive rides the rest of the club's denizens were driving. He opened the passenger door, releasing her hand so she could climb up. "Your chariot," he said with a teasing grin.

Once she was seated he would move around to the drivers side. Hopefully she didn't kick up too much of a fuss about taking the same vehicle. He wanted to surprise her with their location as opposed to warning her ahead of time.

As he took her hand and pulled her along she laughed softly, easily and went willingly. She was surprised, to say the least by the appearance of his vehicle, giving it a once over before looking to him, a brow quirked. Idly, she had to wonder if his Mommy dearest wouldn't let him take one of the nicer cars, given his penchant for looping them around telephone pools.

But no fuss was made, and once inside the jeep, Olivia proceeded to remove her heels, tucking her up into the corner of the dashboard with a comfortable ease and pulled out the intricate clip that held up her hair, letting blonde curls loose. The breeze was incredible, through the open window and for a moment, only a moment she allowed herself to really, genuinely enjoy the drive. It beat a town car, anyway... though she couldn't say that aloud, without given entirely too much away.

"So do I get a hint, where we're going?"

"Nope," Dillan said easily. The jeep was a standard but he handled it with ease, switching gears so smoothly the engine never had a chance to react with the usual rev and pull that you'd normally hear in a standard.

He snuck a quick glance at her, and good lord her hair was fantastic. Who was this woman? And why had Kyle gotten to her first? If there was a god, he was currently laughing at Dillan. Taunting him, testing him to see if he really was a better person.

He hoped he was. He wanted to be, but damn this girl was making it hard.

One day. He'd known her one day... and sure they'd spent almost the entire day together but that was not nearly enough time to be as enamored as he was.

He didn't talk, but honestly with her silence felt comfortable, not awkward. He felt no particular need to fill the silence and he suspected she felt the same.

When he pulled up outside the Captain's Shack, a small, entirely too quaint restaurant far outside 'their' neighborhood, but still along the beach, he turned to her with a grin. "Surprise?"

They were both over dressed, but they'd be over dressed together.

"They make the best fish chips, and I have been craving them all damned day," he unbuckled and slipped out, stretching his arms over his head and working the kink out of his neck.

Something about it all, the jeep, the out of place neighborhood, the ridiculous restaurant was so unexpected, and for a brief time, she felt the familiar nervousness she'd first felt, when she'd begun her mission - but Killian had taught her well enough to expect anything, and she had to... she had to be ready for things like this. She wasn't about to let him ruin her plans - especially not when he was so crucial a part of them.

"Actually," She started, looking out at the building, "I am surprised. Pleasantly. Kyle seems to think I'm too fragile for this side of town... not that I blame him. I don't exactly give off the Ronda Rousey vibes. But it's a nice change..."

Pulling her legs down, she put her shoes back on, but kept her hair free, sliding out of the jeep, waiting for him to come around the other side of the car, "Thanks for this, Dillan. Really. So... fish and chips, you say? This'll definitely be a first."

Dillan took her hand and tucked it into his arm, it just felt like the thing to do. He led her to the shack's door. "You haven't had fish and chips before?" He asked incredulously, "And I said fish chips, not fish and chips. Fish chips are a thing unto themselves, actually I'm pretty sure the Captain is the only place that sells them."

The floor of the deck surrounded the shack creaked as they stepped onto it. He opened the door for her, ushering her through.

Inside the Shack was dingy. The tables were wooden, but somehow still stained. The floor was rustic, well worn, creaky. The kitchen could be glimpsed through a hole in the wall behind the counter and it didn't exactly gleam like a kitchen in a fancier restaurant. All in all, it was the sort of place you'd expect a rich kid to laugh at, not to eat at.

"Hey, it's the soldier boy," the portly man behind the counter grinned when he saw Dillan.

"Hey, hey," Dillan said, he murmured to Olivia real quick to cover up the nickname, "I was wearing camo the first night I came in. He's been calling me that ever since."

The place was empty, and Dillan tried to lead Olivia to a table but the 'Captain' waved him over to the counter, "It's just us!" He said cheerfully, "Come on. No point getting a table dirty just for you two."

"Just for us two?" Dillan laughed, "That's real nice, Cap."

"Eh, I'm bored really. Need the company."

"Well, here we are."

She grinned when he scolded her on her flub, shaking her head, "Well, I'm pretty sure I've never had either... though if they're as good as you're suggestion, I'm afraid I've been terribly deprived. This could result in therapy, you know."

Inside, she looked around. It was the typical greasy dive diner, complete with speckled countertop and vinyl stools, most of which had pock marks from the overweight regulars, or holes, torn into the cheap red fabric. A jukebox sat in the corner, and from it crooned oldies. The motif... what might have been an attempt at nautical... was largely comprised of plastic pelicans and palm trees, and some rope, loosely tacked around the ceiling.

The nickname, however he tried to cover it up, did not escape her attention, and she looked to him with a small smile, wondering idly why he would cover it up. It wasn't public knowledge, of course, but it might have been the only honorable thing about him. Leaning close, she whispered beside his ear, "It's better than D-bag."

And with a wink, she made herself comfortable on one of the stools.

Having dinner with her, and Cap, was... well, nice. The fish chips were, as usual, perfect. The Captain shared stories that made him laugh so hard his belly hurt. Hour after hour rushed by, and honestly he didn't even feel it. When the Captain suddenly slapped down a towel on the counter and told them both to 'go home already', it was a surprise.

He glanced at his watch, cursing when he saw the time and quickly apologizing to Olivia for the language. Both he and the Captain had been very careful about the language they used around her. That was a military thing. You don't swear around civvies, especially not women.

He slid off his stool, shaking the Captain's hand before he reached for Olivia's hand.

"I should get you home."

He was surprised Kyle hadn't called, but a part of him was glad too. It meant he'd had her all to himself.

They'd literally spent the entire day together now. With only a few hours apart.

And he felt like he was really getting to know her, like he could be himself with her. His new self, not the self he'd been before.

He liked it.

Too much.

"Come back again, little lady, "Captain called out, "It was a real pleasure."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back