• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

The End Justifies

"I sure will..." Olivia replied and gave Captain a brilliant smile, before she took Dillan's hand and rose from the stool. She'd kept track of how much time had gone by. It was late. Certainly later than she would have stayed out, had Kyle been around. Funny how things worked out for the best. She following him out of the restaurant and into the street, but paused as they passed through the door, looking up into the sky with a soft, deep breath.

"It's so quiet... so peaceful." Looking up at him, she bit her lip, "I know it's late... but do you think... Would you take a walk with me, on the beach?" She had to be careful that she didn't push... He was obviously concerned about overstepping bounds with Kyle, but she hoped his loyalty towards his friend might be overrun by his desire for company.

"I mean, don't feel obligated... but if you say no, I'll have to go all by myself and who knows if Mr. Hanson is out and about..."

Dillan was about to say no when she mentioned Mr. Hanson. He laughed softly, "Sure... let's walk."

He shoved his hands in his pockets to stop himself from reaching for her hand again. He'd come back for the jeep later. He should offer to drive her, but instead he found himself walking beside her. His leg was killing him, aching after way too much pushing, but he managed to keep his limp to a minimum.

"You are..." he smiled, "Well, Kyle is a lucky man."

That was crazy inappropriate so he quickly kept speaking, to cover it up, "I'm glad, really. If Kyle had a girlfriend whom I couldn't stand it would just be awkward. His last girl, gods, she was a mess! There were times I couldn't tell if she was a girl or a really angry little man."

Hook, line and sinker.

Really, she almost felt guilty, playing off of his protective nature like that, but she reminded herself that it was all part of the plan, that it had been a similar protective nature which had wound her father up in prison in the first place. Maybe it wasn't his fault what his parents had done, but collateral damage was necessary in war...

Slipping her shoes off again, she followed him along the sidewalk. Even at a distance she could hear the call of the ocean tide, could smell the briny sent of surf. The breeze was cool and for the second time that day she found herself shivering, but whether it was a ploy to hook him or not, it really was lovely...

"...Oh, gosh. She sounds just... charming. You sure he wasn't dating Mr. Hanson, himself? But really, thank you. It's sweet to say that... I just Kyle felt the same way." Frowning, she shook her head, "Sorry. It's not his fault. I shouldn't be that way..."

He was shrugging off his jacket and sliding it over her shoulders... again. At this rate he wouldn't have any jackets left. He smiled at her, rolling up his sleeves as he shook his head, "I'm sure he has a good reason for flaking out. I don't think he'd ignore you on purpose."

He didn't know though. Not really. Four years was a long time and he'd changed a lot, there was no saying how much Kyle had changed.

"I can't figure you out," He said then, "you seem like a real classy lady. Why the hell would you want to spend time with me? Especially if Kyle's told you about... well, how I was before."

"You'd think, right..." And the bitterness in her town was almost embarrassing. Shifting, she slipped her arms through the jacket sleeves, "Trouble is, this isn't the first time. Really, I've lost count. I understand he's busy, I do... It just... I dunno, I wonder sometimes if he's got a reason, other than work."

Rubbing her forehead, she looked over at him, her smile soft, coy, "...Truth is, Dillan. I'm tired of it... the phoniness. It's like everyone I meet, as soon as they get so much as a hint of my monetary value, feels the need to talk to me like I'm buying a used car. You're genuine... and I like that. And whatever Kyle said, whatever you did... honestly, it doesn't matter. It's the past, right?"

Dillan laughed softly at that. Oh he could understand what it was like for people to only see your money and not you.

"What was your family like before? What does it mean to be new money?" He asked softly.

Were they middle class? Upper class? Poor? He wanted to know... he wanted to know everything about her.

And that was dangerous.

"Truth be told, I don't even understand it. Money is money, it just seems weird to quantify it the way people do. But I dunno, I guess because we don't span back sixteen generations or aren't somehow related to royalty, we're not quite up there with the upper crust." She laughed softly, nudging him with her elbow, "You should really ask your mom what it means. I'm sure she'll have a better answer."

He was pawing... as casually as possible, but she could see it. The curiosity. At this rate, she'd have his ring on her finger by the end of the month.

"As for my family, I guess a little of everything? My dad worked hard for what he made, and eventually it paid off, but in the beginning it wasn't easy. We got evicted, once, from this really crappy one bedroom apartment... and for a week, while my dad tried to work enough overtime to get us into another place, we were, what I guess you'd call, homeless. It seems so long ago, though. Like it was someone else's life. By the time we were financially stable, I think I blocked most of the bad stuff out..."

Shit.

He looked away, breathing in deeply and trying to clear his senses. This wasn't good. This was, in fact, very bad. He liked her. She intrigued him in ways no one had for years, perhaps in ways no one ever had.

But she was dating Kyle.

And he wouldn't try to break that up, even if he would have in a past life. He couldn't now, it wasn't who he was anymore. He had to keep telling himself that.

"I don't know what that's like," he admitted, uneasily. He almost wanted to apologize, for his wealth, for all the advantages he'd been given. All the advantages he'd, ultimately, completely wasted.

Her house was just up ahead, already, and he was relieved and disappointed all at once.

"You know, I'm going to have to take my jacket back this time," he said softly.

"Hmm..." Turning to him, she smiled faintly, bit her lip, and for a moment it seemed damned near deliberate, "...Well, I guess that's fair. I did steal your sweater after all. I suppose you could it back, now, and I can just walk to my door and hope I don't wind up with hypothermia. Or... you could come inside, have a cup of tea... and I could give you both, when I'm all warm and toasty."

She was playing with fire, but in the immortal words of Killian, there was no reward without the risk. He'd either turn her down and hate himself, driven to return the next day to discreetly apologize, or he'd come inside, play the gentleman, drive himself mad resisting her, and leave with the abject need to see her again. She'd handled the day perfectly. There was no other way this night could possibly end.

Wait... was she inviting him in? Dillan was almost disappointed. He didn't take it as an innocent invitation at all. He'd been with women like this before. She wanted him. Good grief, what fresh new hell had he fallen into? How was he supposed to-there was only one solution.

He forced himself to smile, "Sorry, but I really do have to go. You know what ,keep the jacket... it'll give me an excuse to bother you another day."

He wouldn't. He could afford to lose a jacket.

He backed away, "Night, Olivia Brannen. I hope Kyle smartens up and treats you a bit better."

Unless he took her invitation completely and utterly the wrong way, like a guy typically would. Oh, but that was an unexpected twist. She could have back tracked, she could have tried to convince him he'd misunderstood, but someone in her position wouldn't have picked up on the nuances... Frustrated with herself, with him she nevertheless forced a smile and nodded.

Her best bet was to play it off as casual as possible and hope... no, pray, that he realized he was absolutely wrong about his assumptions. Maybe he'd feel like an idiot and come back, anyway.

Otherwise, she was going to have to get creative.

"You do that, then. And thank you. I'm actually gonna call him, when I get inside. Thanks again, for a great night."

Dillan smiled, waved a hand and headed back up the beach.

He was disappointed in himself for thinking she was different, frustrated for caring if she was or wasn't, disappointed in her for apparently being just like every other female... But more than anything he was angry for caring either way. She was Kyle's girlfriend. He had no busy mooning over her. Especially after only knowing her one day.

The next day Dillan Blaithe did not knock on Olivia's door. He didn't, in all truth, leave his room. He turned off his phone - not that he expected her to call but if she was one of 'those' girls she would, he knew she would... and spent his day in the home gym, or around the house dodging his mother and he machinations.

He needed the space, to clear his head... and yet he still found himself thinking about her, a fact which irritated him.

He hadn't come by. He hadn't called. The infuriating idiot was actually trying to be a decent guy and Olivia was at her wits end, trying not to storm next door and jump the man. She'd pushed too hard, she knew it, and she was more mad at herself than she was him, but ultimately it didn't matter. If he had cut her off like she supposed, if he was actually attempting to resist the temptation to betray his friend, her entire mission was going to blow up, right in her face.

After a six mile run, a shower, more baking than she had any right to be proud of and about three and a half hours of pacing back and forth, she finally pulled out her cell phone and dialed Killian's number. If anyone could help her, she knew it was him, not that she fancied the idea of explaining to him how dramatically she had screwed up.

"You girlie!" Killian said with his usual bright, far too cheerful tone, "What's up?"

He suspected, if she was calling, things were either going very good and she wanted to share or they were going very bad in which case they'd have to figure out a way to get things back on track.

Truth be told he didn't exactly like her little plan but if she had to do it he was going to help. Anything to keep his girl safe.

He was tempted to ask if Mr. Blaithe had himself any hot, rich, single girl friends but he would wait to see how things were going before he asked.

"I screwed up, Kill. I pushed too hard." Frowning, she pinched the bridge of her nose, "I had to pick the one who actually has a shred of human decency left in him. He wouldn't bite, and now I think he's actually avoiding me. Look... I need a favor. I think I have a plan, but it's sketchy, and there's not a whole hell of a lot of leeway if things go south. Can you call Tony and the boys?" She paused, and her voice took on a honied tone, a veritable purr, "And could you get me reservations at Le'Mark? A table for two?"

During their conversation the night before, Nancy had mentioned the family had dinner plans. If she knew one thing, it was that while he could turn her down, there was no way Dillan would turn down his mother.

"Ah, damsel in distress routine?" Killian guessed, "Be careful now, that could go very right or very wrong, depending on how far gone he is."

But if the guy was avoiding her to save his friendship he was probably the sort to rescue a girl in need.

"I'll call the boys. When and where do you need them?"

"Have you been taking your medication?" The therapist arrived late in the afternoon, after he didn't answer his phone and he cursed himself for turning it off.

Damn.

"Yes," he lied. He took aspirin, advil or tylenol but not his meds. They scared him. He knew how addictive they could be and he knew he was weak.

"Hm... c'mon. Let's get to work."

"You know you don't have to make house calls. I know the routine..." He'd tried to fire her months ago... she kept showing up anyway.

"Yeah, well, you know you're not fully recovered yet and I'm not done with you until that limp is gone. Now, move!"

After giving Killian the address and further instructions, Olivia spent the rest of the day preparing. The first step was guilt tripping Kyle into taking her out to dinner, something that should not have been as difficult as it was, in actuality. In the end, she got him to agree, but the attitude with which he hung up told her enough that it would be easy to sell the routine at dinner. The second part, of course, was ensuring her vulnerability was enough to attract Dillan's attention, even across a crowded room.

She dressed to the nines in a sequin studded cocktail dress, with a dangerously plunging back and a pair of simple black stilettos. Her makeup was all eyes, classic and smokey, her lips a pale pink. It was a look that, she hoped, promised two things. One, that Dillan wouldn't be able to keep his eyes off of her, and two... Kyle was going to look like a complete fool.

Her final preparations were made, and after a second call to Killian to set her focus, she called for the town car into the city. Roughly around 7:30, she arrived in style at Le'Mark, and slipping out of the car, approached the doors with the mindset of determination and control.

Determination and control which were very nearly completely thrown when once again, Kyle called to tell her he would be late. He arrived at 8:45, about three minutes before Olivia threw her plan to hell and stormed out. She rose from her seat as he approached and as he leaned in for a kiss, she gave him, instead, a stony expression of frustration.

"...I was under the impression you were done by six, tonight?" She said, sinking back into her seat.

"I was, but then this client called, and we... Look, we got to talking, and he was really into making a purchase. Liv. You can't be mad. This is just... it's business, you know? And hey... if I wasn't working all the time, I couldn't take you to fancy joints like this. Cheer up, hmm?"

Still frowning, she leaned back into her seat, "...Fine. But we're together, now. No more work. Promise?"

"Promise..."

Words that had never been sweeter.

By 9:00, her spirits had improved, and Kyle seemed attentive and charming. By 9:04, his phone buzzed in the lining of his jacket and holding a finger up, he slipped it out, putting it to his ear. Her smile fell, her eyes narrowed. Kyle might have noticed, except he'd turned away, speaking into the receiver with as much concern for the table beside him as Olivia.

Her cheeks reddened, her eyes stung with tears and swiftly, she rose, throwing her napkin down on the table, "So much for no business."

And as Kyle faltered, contemplating whether or not to hang up, Olivia stormed for the door, wiping tears from her cheeks as she went. Outside, she crossed the street, moving fast, but not too fast, yanking her hair out of the updo, muttering nonsense about commitments and promises... about being important to someone.

Rounding the corner, she came face to face with a walking brick wall. She hit hard, stepped back on her heels and went down, hard, staring up at the behemoth, who met her with a toothy grin which he had not borrowed from a girl scout, "Evenin' sweetheart. Where you off to, in such a hurry?"

Dillan only went to the restaurant because his mother practically begged him. He couldn't say no to her, he just couldn't. The atmosphere was of opulence, with fine wine, fancily clad people all around and... Olivia? And he couldn't keep his eyes off her. He tried, he really did try but the look on her face when she sat alone, and later even after Kyle arrived it was clear she was still upset.

Despite the little incident earlier, despite her asking him up for 'tea', he couldn't stop himself from feeling both protective and annoyed for her.

When she stormed out, he excused himself, feigning a need for the bathroom and followed. It was stupid, impetuous and once outside he didn't know how to close the distance between them so he didn't. Instead he followed at a sedate pace.

She rounded a corner and for a brief moment he lost sight of her.

The funny thing about paying a man to essentially attack you is... well, generally they're the type of men who like to earn a living. She wouldn't pretend it hadn't hurt, getting knocked on her backside. Her ankle throbbed where her shoe had twisted the wrong way, and she didn't imagine Tony or his friends were going to be too considerate and give her much time to recover.

She was, of course, right. Lifting her up by the arm, his hand looped entirely around her bicep, the thug continued to grin, "So, Princess... you gonna answer my question, or just stand there like a rude little bitch?"

"...I... My... I'm just waiting for my boyfriend. He... he was parking the car."

"Right. Which is, naturally, why you were running?" Tony's grip tightened and Olivia grimaced, as he yanked her a little too close for comfort, "I think you're lying, and that... well, that's awfully upsetting. How about you make it up to me?"

The thug was so close he didn't see Dillan coming. Dillan grabbed the guy by the wrist, grasping the same hand that had hold of Olivia. He might have offered the guy an out, but he was furious. Applying pressure to the delicate tendons that attached wrist to hand, he reached up with his other hand, grabbing the guy by the throat. He knew just how much pressure to apply and where to grip to create the maximum amount of pain.

"I'd suggest you let the lady go," He said, voice eerily calm despite the murder in his gaze. He squeezed that meaty throat extra hard, twisting the wrist he held just enough to cause some serious pain.

And he could murder the guy. He knew all the ways to do it, with or without a weapon. This knowledge made him doubly dangerous.

The thug was actually bigger than he was but it didn't phase him one bit. Bigger didn't mean tougher.

It startled her. It was certainly not something she saw coming. Not from the slightly gimpy, formerly alcoholic playboy. Not from anyone growing up the way he had. Tony hadn't seen it coming either and she was glad that Dillan couldn't see the look he flashed her, before it would've certainly give her away right then and there.

He released her, and she stepped back, limping on an already swelling ankle, her eyes wide and frightened, heart pounding, all the good and believable signs of shock - funny, how some of them she didn't need to fake.

"Alright! Alright!" Tony wheezed, "Leggo!"

Dillan wasn't feeling very forgiving. Once Olivia was clear, he moved fast, striking with deadly intent. A quick twist, a quick kick and the thug was on the ground. Another quick move and Dillan had him pinned to the ground, one arm twisted behind the thug's back as Dillan rested his knee in the center of the bastard's back. He leaned down, hissing in the man's ear, "Like it rough, huh, big guy?"

He pulled hard, hard enough that with just a bit more pressure he'd break the bastards shoulder and that's exactly what he intended to do.

Of course he was some sort of kung-fu expert. She really should have seen it coming. With his background - the background he carefully concealed, it all make sense. Killian was going to kill her. Hell, Tony might beat him to it.

"Dillan!" Her voice was maybe slightly more frantic than she'd meant it to be, but there was no way Tony would keep his trap shut if it meant getting his arm broken. Intervening was her only shot of keeping things grounded, and she had to hope that Dillan was smart enough to know there had to be limits.

"Dillan, please. Let's just go." And the desperation in her tone was accompanied by that soft, tear filled gaze, "I just want to go..."

Dillan had studied martial arts in his youth, but the military honed that skill, made it something more. Initially he hesitated, but her voice pulled him out of the haze of anger. He released the thugs arm and got to his feet, no easy feat since that angle stressed his old injury. Once he was upright he grasped her hand, "Come on."

He led her away, too angry to speak at first. His grip on her hand loosened once they were some distance away.

"Fuck," He growled under his breath, "Are you all right?" He turned on her then, "Are you okay?"

She'd been knocked down at one point, then roughly pulled up. His blood boiled at the memory. What kind of man would treat a woman that way?

Her ankle hurt and it was that, and only that which made the groan coming from Tony any less unpleasant. She'd be hearing about it tomorrow, for sure. Pulled away, she let Dillan lead, but when he slowed she took a lean against the wall and looked down at her foot, flinching at the purple cast her skin took on, shaking her head. Nothing was broken, but it was a hell of a sprain.

"No. No, I am... I am about as far from okay as I can get right now. Dillan, please. Take me home." Looking up at him, the tears poured from her eyes, "I just wanna go home."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back