• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom The Dragon Prince: Deep Trouble [Closed]

Lethe accepted the offer with a silent nod, and plenty of somewhat masked confusion. Khessa, certainly, had not been so…magnanimous in their few dealings. Lethe wouldn't ask Janai to second guess herself.

She already felt tired enough just putting herself into this position. 'And they didn't ask me to seal it all back up.' she should. She would.

In the morning.

She was led to a makeshift tent and she opened it for Jove to join her as she pulled things out from that lovely cosmic void that let her carry plenty of clothes and books around wherever she went, so it was easy to pull out pajamas. For once she didn't need a bedroll, with a bed provided.

It was still a strange bed in a strange place.

Jove settled on the end of the bed, perches on it, which was some small comfort against the elves who might want to kill her.

Enough, it seemed, to allow her to sleep.

Sleep had changed since the star arcanum – it rather, dreams. She was eternally lucid, and always found herself in a mental room she'd created and added on to over the decades. It resembled a domed room at the top of a tower, usually work a starry nightscaoe, but that seemed to follow her mood.

So it was cloudy.

Storms threatened.

Books lined every wall, memories for her to sort through. It was her nightly ritual, no more fantastic dreams, just ordering her mind, ordering her day, trying to look at events in a new light.

And as always, the day's book was resting on an end table by an overly plush, pearl white chair that she sunk into and opened the book up.

~***~

The huffing about was just precious.

Willow protested far too much, especially as she backed into a bit more in her adjustments and took note. He couldn't help but laugh at her immediate reaction and attempt to pull away. For her sake, he knew he ought to consider holding on, but he let her go, and leaned back on his hands to watch her move away.

And, perhaps, realize her next conundrum as he held out his hand. "I'll be wanting the blanket back. I'm sure you don't mind heading back to your room in those wet clothes – or without," his crew might enjoy that. "Seeing as how you're all nice and warm now, wouldn't want to ruin that by slipping those things on again."

She was really going to hate him.

He didn't mind the thought much at all, with how bothered she was with her own lust. That was usually a good sign for his future.

Something…called to him through the stars. It pulled at his attention until Aaravos focused on the disturbance and smirked upon discovering what called to him.

Lethe began to dream, and thanks to their connection in the Star arcanum, and thanks to her reversal spell, he could waltz inside her dreams, as if they were actually standing in the same room together. They could touch and feel each other.

He could hurt her, but she would wake up with no bruise. No last damage save for the dream seared into her memories.

There was no grand entrance to the dream for Aaravos. He just silently appeared in what looked to be a library. Books lined the walls, and the ceiling sloped in a way that reminded him of an observatory. But instead of stars, the dome held dark clouds with threats of rain.

“Is this a real place in your memories? Or something your mind merely conjured up?” Aaravos spoke. No hello, no polite greeting. He lazily walked in her direction, comfortable in her plush chair. “And reading in your dreams? Really? Though I suppose you did always sought out more knowledge.”

~~~

Willow stood up the moment Finnegrin freed her, but unsure if her legs were still unsteady, or if it was the rocking of the ship in the remnants of the storm, she sat back down on the edge of the bed, away from him.

Away from the smug asshole, who leaned back in his bed in only his underwear. She did her best to avoid glancing at that region, though telling herself to not do it only made her want to even more. She’d knew what she’d see though. And his torso wasn’t bad to look at either…

She scoffed at his request. “I’m keeping the blanket until I get some dry clothes.” Not that she’d have much of a choice if he really wanted it back. But she really didn’t want to go outside the cabin in just a blanket. She wanted some dry clothes, dammit, and to crawl into her own bed!

“What do you want me to do?” He had to be wanting something from her if he was being this difficult in allowing her to leave. Unless, he really was trying to get her to agree to the alternative option for debt repayment. Or just wanted to cuddle longer for some reason.

She had half a mind to just grab his captain’s jacket and wear that.

There shouldn't be anyone in the dream.

Lethe jolted from the chair with a start and found Aaravos. It had been those portions of the day she focused on, trying to determine reality from insanity. She kept seeing Stella's reaction, and knew.

The dream further confirmed it.

The original spell had not only sealed knowledge, but sealed him, something she hadn't realized it would do. It was definitely for the best, though.

She also didn't quite know how this worked. She understood there was more she could do with the dreamscape, but the stars told her nothing. They kept their secrets. She'd only unraveled a few through meticulous study and going back over her memory of placement.

"I've made this place." No point lying. She kept the book across her chest like a shield. "How did you get in here?"

'How do I get you out?''

No need to ask what he wanted. This was her new hell, she knew he was here to make her suffer and make his threats on release all the more clear.

~***~

Perhaps in another mood, Finnegrin might have indeed called for dry clothes or let her keep the blanket. Sadly for Willow he wasn't in one of those moods as he leaned forward and took hold of his blanket.

Just a corner, but enough to signal she wasn't leaving with it.

"Sorry love, but I do quite like that blanket, and I'm not keen to borrow it out to you." He didn't care about it at all.

He cared about making her uncomfortable since she seemed to enjoy that. Denying herself comfort. "I don't really care what you do, my little pebble, so long as you don't take anything out of this room that isn't yours. If you're warm enough, you're free to leave work what you came in with."

Never mind he had brought her here without other options.

She should still be grateful he saved her.

Aaravos was all too pleased with Lethe’s reaction to his appearance in her dream. She wasn’t expecting it, and she was still afraid of him. As she should be.

“How I got in here? It seems we are still connected through the star arcanum after all these centuries of being cut off, and your little spell earlier reestablished that connection.” He wouldn’t go into further detail of how exactly he managed to walk inside her dream.

“Though why would I tell you how to get me out?” Merely wake up would be the quickest and easiest option, but permanently? He imagined reversing that spell on his name would work, but it seemed that some others needed access to his name. She wouldn’t do that tomorrow.

“Why? Do you wish to kick me out already? That hardly seems polite.” He tutted, stopping right in front of her chair. “And now that we’re alone, we have a lot of catching up to do.” He leaned over and lifted his hand. This time, instead of no sensation as he grazed her jaw, he could actually feel the warmth of her skin on his fingers.

“After all, do you know how lonely it gets inside an isolated prison for three hundred years.” His fingers trailed to her chin and gently lifted it so he knew she wasn’t looking away from him. “And every day, I wondered about what I would do to the one person who betrayed my trust, betrayed me, and is responsible for my imprisonment.”

~~~

Willow froze, thinking for a second that Finnegrin was about to yank the blanket off of her body, but he didn’t. He merely grasped it in a silent threat. Threat understood.

“But my clothes are still dripping wet and cold.” He knew that. And she wasn’t risking getting that chill again by slipping on those clothes. She wondered if she could even get the clothes back on in their state. Definitely not her underclothes.

Her shoulders dropped, and she sighed. There was nothing more she could do right then than to stay and wait for her clothes to dry, if he wasn’t going to bring her anything else to wear. But staying there, she feared for how little it may take for her to crack and give in.

And she was just certain Finnegrin knew that as well.

“Fine, I’ll stay here for a bit.” But that didn’t mean she won’t complain.

Aaravos approached and Lethe wished she had risen, before he leaned over her. No, he wouldn't tell her anything, she knew that. She tried to disappear into the chair, to push away from him, even if it was just a dream.

Even if he couldn't do anything.

That delusion was brought crashing down when he touched her. Unlike the phantom that haunted her day, she could feel this. The warmth. The softness.

The threat that sent her heart racing, because that meant he could hurt her. Could he kill her? Why not – just cut off her breath! She was no warrior. Not on par with him, certainly, and her breath caught as if already prepared to be lost as he mused over three hundred years of creative, malicious ideas.

She wanted to look away and couldn't.

"I don't know what it's been like," she could imagine, but it would never be close to the hell he'd known. Even her own isolation was nothing like that. It was better to be here, even mistrusted, than in a cage. "All the comforts in the world aren't enough. I'm sorry, Aaravos, but you left us no other choice."

She was afraid, terrified like a rabbit caught in the eyes of a banther, but she wasn't a coward.

She wouldn't break and beg for mercy. She knew she deserved whatever he had in mind, and she stood by the decision as much as she suffered with regret for it. "I'm certain I can't fathom my own fate at your hands as you couldn't imagine yours."

~***~

Finnegrin snorted at Willow's attempt to be both defiant and warm. He had to hand it to her, at least she didn't break down crying about how unfair it was. She, at least, understood this was all going to be difficult.

"Unfortunately, since you do seem warm enough not to need me any longer, I am going to return to the helm. And if I'm not here, you're not staying," he rose, lazily stretching up before going to dig out nice, dry clothes from his closet to start slipping on.

He knew he was leaving her with a terrible decision.

He decided to throw her a bit of rope, rather than leave her stranded, "I wouldn't want you to catch a cold, but I am attached to my things. Not too attached, of course, it's all bought," he slid a grin her way.

"I can lend you some clothes for a fee, love. Or you can start dressing in," he wanted his hand at the very wet pile, "those."

“Everything I did, I did for a reason.” Words he was sure he said to Lethe earlier in the bookery. “No one could see the bigger picture though.” And they never would. After all, who could see plans laid out on a grand scale better than someone who lived thousands of years?

An archdragon, he supposed, was the creature that came closest to his age, and it still wasn’t even close.

Aaravos should have relished in the terror trembling all over Lethe’s body. It should have brought him joy and pleasure, but instead, a strange emotion set deep in his stomach.

Fingers trailed down from her jaw to her neck, gently grasping it, but not cutting off any air. Enough so that she was aware of his presence and potential. “What I hate the most though, is that after all this time, after the betrayal, is that I still love you.” Never lovers in the past, they had been very close, and near the end, he recalled wishing to pursue something more with his greatest pupil.

But then his entire universe came crashing down.

~~~

Her eyes snapped over to him when he announced she couldn’t stay, wide in anger and disbelief. She definitely didn’t get distracted by the movement of his body, or how his muscles flexed under his skin as he went about to take out some clothes. “What?”

Willow couldn’t believe him! Finnegrin enjoyed toying and messing with people for the mere reason of it brought him amusement. Asshole.

He offered an ultimatum. She could hazard a guess as to what that fee would be, but she was desperate. And he most certainly knew that. With a question she knew she may regret later, she asked, “What’s the fee?”

And since she was not darting across the ship in her nude form, the alternative would be for Willow to put on the old clothes and hurry to her quarters before the chill could set back in her body.

‘I know it was for a reason. I know you aren’t unreasonable.’ Aaravos’s reasons may not have aligned with what everyone else wanted. What was good for everyone else. He certainly never took the time to explain it. He just insisted it was for the best. Little else.

Reasoning should have led him to squeeze her throat and cut off oxygen.

Reasoning was all that kept Lethe from fighting; she was no match, why make it worse for herself? Well, reasoning, and that terrible feeling that this was all deserved. The dislike elves and dragons had for her was not deserved, but Aaravos’s hatred? That was earned.

It was words of hatred that left his mouth – hatred for loving her, as his warm hand continued to promise death without offering it.

‘Love?’

Lethe couldn’t mask the surprise. Her eyes widened and her mouth fell open a moment, before she shut it, trying to regroup with the revelation that fell from his lips.

It had to be a lie, right?

Another way to manipulate her?

Everyone thought they were more than friends…and she had wanted more. He had wanted more. She’d made the lines clear when she was asked to spy on him, just in case the worst…but she’d never believed in the worst until it was there. She’d slipped and fallen over the edge.

Surprise turned to pity. Shame. She had betrayed someone who loved her beyond what she knew. What everyone else seemed to know, though – that’s why she was picked. It had to be.

She lifted a hand to his around her throat, and pressed down. “I won’t hate you,” she never did. She’d been disappointed. She’d been furious. She’d been wracked with sorrow, but never hate. “I loved you, once.”

~***~

Obviously, Willow asked about the fee. The clothes he could let her borrow would barely be worth copper, but of course – desperate times, meant price hikes, “Let’s see, I think…50 gold is a fair tab to add on for borrowing some clothes from me.” It absolutely was not. Fifty gold was outrageous, since she’d be returning the clothing, anyways. She wasn’t even buying it!

Did Finnegrin care?

No, not at all.

If Willow hadn’t already figured out fees and debts were decided at his leisure, she would figure it out soon. She’d never even bothered to ask how much her daily work paid towards the debt, after all.

Not that he was keeping track.

Very few on his crew were actually receiving money for their work, most of them were there for debts, or some other flimsy reason he could keep them in line with. Plenty had been former hostages he’d taken from other ships, and just never gave back or ransomed. They knew if they didn’t want to sink to the watery depths, they had to work for him.

Willow would eventually figure out he’d just keep noting reasons why she owed him more money, eventually.

She would be released only at his leisure.

Lethe hadn’t known of his affections. No, of course she didn’t. But if she did, if he had swallowed his pride and actually told her before the betrayal, would that have changed anything?

A ‘what if’ question that was useless to ask. It was far too late to change things.

Aaravos watched as the emotions flicker across her face. That surprise of not knowing, the pity, the shame. There was some satisfaction in watching her mental struggle, as she struggled through that guilt that lingered for centuries.

But there was a part of him that…didn’t know what to think. Not as her hand pressed down on his. Not as Lethe said she won’t hate him. Not as she said she loved him once, as well.

The thumb of his hand on her neck gently rubbed a small patch of skin that it could reach. If they both weren’t fools back then and confessed their feelings, what would they both be doing today?

A useless question to ask.

“Once?” he hummed. “What, did that love disappear over time as you were wracked with guilt over what you did to me?”

~~~

Willow scoffed with incredulity at the outrageous price. “Fifty gold for borrowing some clothes you can find in any shop?” They both knew he was making up fees as he went along. And he claimed she was the one stealing!

But she had suspected he came up with random fees and debts to suit his own interests. Like her own debt…he hadn’t actually stated it yet, but Willow had the feeling her debt would be paid off when he decided it was, not when she actually worked for the gold owed. It served as motivation to find an escape.

But in the meantime, she would have to deal with this shit. And Willow wasn’t about to add on 50 gold to her possibly-made-up debt, which would in turn encourage Finnegrin to keep her in his service longer.

So instead, she tried to quickly come up with a reason for him to not leave his cabin and return to the helm. If he was out of his room, so was she.

Oh, she was going to kick herself for this later.

Willow sighed, tightening the blanket around her, moreso out of comfort than chill. “What if I told you that I was actually still cold?”

‘The torch I held for you was blown out by you, Aaravos.’

If only it had been that easy.

Lethe had struggled with the feeling. Struggled with denying it, struggled with accepting it, and most of all – struggled to see what he’d done because of it. She wanted to rationalize it for him. She wanted to rationalize that it wasn’t him! Rationalization was useless.

“I realized I loved someone that didn’t exist. I still do,” she’d created an image of him from his deceit. She still loved that image. She still couldn’t break away from it. The days when he walked the continent were still her happiest memories, even if they were all a beautiful lie. They were still beautiful.

He was still beautiful. Just as he was, three hundred years ago.

“It’s nice…to be reminded that he was just a ghost of someone you could have been.” It ached. But it was a reminder that he wasn’t real. “Someone who wouldn’t go on a murdering spree across Xadia while claiming to have everyone’s best interests at heart, without a single good explanation of why.”

So why did he hesitate?

‘Because he’s alone, and you’re the only one who can talk to him. It isn’t love….’

~***~

Willow’s outrage was expected, as he adjusted his tunic and then turned to her spitting outrage over everything. She had a decision to make, and he arched a brow, not bothering to speak of his horrendous pricing. There was no need. She had to accept it, or accept the alternative.

Or offer another idea.

‘Well if you told me that, I’d tell you that you were only prolonging your stay, and you still eventually have to get dressed, or hustle out naked.’ But Finnegrin had no reason to tell Willow that, so he didn’t. Surely, she had to realize it was only a delay if all she was offering was just more time for him to hold her.

Which wasn’t a bad offer, but he was already dressed.

“I think you understand that means you have to accept more of being held, and learn to endure those lovely little thoughts you’re having about me in peace – unless you want something more than thoughts, of course,” he noted, “but you do have to actually say it. Time is ticking, and I have a ship to run. I can’t be away from the helm for anything less than an emergency such as such utter coldness.”

Sure he couldn’t.

“The Aaravos I was in front of you was never a lie. I don’t lie.” Manipulate the truth, maybe. But he never manipulated Lethe like he did many others. He never could do it. She was one of the few individuals who have seen him fully.

If his current predicament wasn’t proof to never put full trust in someone, then what was.

Although, in a way, he was putting a form of full trust into Viren and his daughter, Claudia, to get him out of there.

Aaravos relinquished his grip on her neck and straightened up. “I hardly would have called it a murder spree.” It made him sound like he slaughtered entire villages! That sounded like something that the dragons would do.

And hadn’t that happened with Elarion? Needless genocide.

“The elves and dragons were hardly innocent. They were just as likely to twist any lie and story to suit their own needs. There was much more to the story than they had you believe.” Aaravos began to stroll around the room, glancing at the details with mild interest, mainly because it was a room other than his own. "I somehow imagined more books in a dream world of your own creation." He looked up, at the stormy ceiling, then back down. "How long have you been able to create this room in your dreams?"

~~~

She hated that she missed the sight of his bare torso when he put his clothes back on.

Willow understood clearly that asking for what she did meant a return to being held. There would at least be that blanket separating the two of them, but the thoughts would be loud in her mind, if Finnegrin wasn’t cruel enough to whisper those same thoughts in her ear.

Cruelty in the best ways.

“I understand that.” Oh, did she understand. And she understood the possibilities of her body betraying her to beg for more later. If she was going to be on the ship for an indeterminate amount of time, she might as well try and get something out of it. Assuming Finnegrin was the giving type.

“Your earlier attempt at melting the chill in my body did not succeed. You need to stay and try again.” There was slight sardonicism in her tone, but the next words she spoke were true. “And I accept what of my thoughts may occur, and their potential consequences.”

Last edited:
‘Everyone lies.’

But Aaravos let her go.

Lethe would have rather he ended it, but she never did get what she wanted. As he stepped away, Lethe rose, and settled the book down. Would it still be there, tomorrow? Would she ever get a chance to read them again and keep her mind in order?

“I know,” Lethe said, “I’ve had centuries to watch the dragons wreak havoc, I…know.” Better than she liked. Aaravos was targeted when he killed. The dragons were reckless, petty, vindictive. It did make her wonder about the choice, constantly. It made her hate most of the dragons, too.

Zubeia was exception, despite putting up with Avizandum, she was not so murderous. Even her assassination attempt had been pointed. It wasn’t just dragons going to raze human lands, it was assassins going after two people.

She wanted to put down so many of the dragons herself, but had no power to do so. It felt like another tragedy to endure, anyways.

This was the price she paid for locking away Aaravos.

But he didn’t tell her more. He never did. He focused on the surroundings. “I’ve been slowly crafting it since the first time I dreamt after learning the Star Primal.” Of course, it hadn’t been much then. It was constant focusing and meditation that gave her more than a night sky, eventually turning into this space. “There’s more than you see.” Shelves and walls that turned, “but it’s just a storage for my memories, and a place to study. It doesn’t need to be more.”

She didn’t know how to make it more.

“I haven’t been able to dream since I understood the star arcanum. Just…this.”

~***~

Willow seemed to understand what she was bargaining for. And it seemed she was almost willing to admit she understood, and wanted, some of the consequences. Of course, almost wasn’t a yes, but it was an enticing offer. So Willow made it clear he had to try again to warm her up, and he chuckled.

“All right, all right. I can’t let one of my crew die when they haven’t even offended me yet,” he didn’t disrobe, though. He was in dry clothes, he had little reason to, as he went back to the bed, and wrapped his arms around her as he went to sit behind her once again.

Only, this time, he pulled her into his lap once he had his arms around her, and enclosed his legs around her own as best he could, entangling them a bit, but that didn’t really matter. She was prepared for consequences.

She should get used to a bit of flesh on her own.

“There,” he said into her ear once he had her pulled against him, “Is that better, or…,” he allowed a hand to snake under the blanket. No where indecent, just upon the flesh of her leg above the knee, “maybe this would be?”

Aaravos had to ask one question concerning the dragons. “If you knew of the chaos dragons created, then why did you help them?” If she was okay with their bloodthirsty nature, and knew of it, but felt like he had to be stopped…then why?

He would then go back to the room and focus on what she explained to him about her little star arcanum room. A room she first created upon obtaining knowledge of the star arcanum.

Had nothing happened, and their lessons together continued, how much grander would the room be? Or would she have opted for less elegance and more practicality? Practicality in a dream was pointless, though, but amusing. Just manipulate anything into what you want to see.

“I have my own room that I can create in my dreams. There are books like yours contained within, but also, there’s a long hallway with many doors.” He didn’t know why he was telling her this. Loneliness from someone who would understand? “On the other side of each door is a visual memory, replayed over and over as if I was reliving the very moment.”

And most of them? Sheer torture to watch again.

“You may never have actual dreams again while you sleep, once you connect to the star arcanum.” He turned to face her. “Is that something you regret?”

~~~

“Kind of surprised I haven’t offended you yet,” she murmured, largely to herself. But Willow wouldn’t purposely strive to do so, not when staying on his good side would benefit her better in the future for a multitude of reasons.

She would deny that she was disappointed he didn't disrobe to his former state. A gasp escaped when Finnegrin pulled her into his lap, entangling his legs with hers. That was new. That act of intimacy wasn’t one she was unfamiliar with. She had been with plenty in the past, but it had indeed been a while since she’d last been close to someone.

And to be so close to someone who claimed you as his until debts are repaid? It felt wrong in the power imbalance, which was…exciting, almost.

And she certainly won’t admit to Finnegrin how nice his voice sounded in her ear like that.

Her breath hitched at the wandering hand, and she squirmed a little at the sensation of his warm hand on her leg. Of the promises such a gesture usually meant. “Y-yes,” she cleared her throat, embarrassed over her own stumble, “that is better.”

Lethe shook her head, “I didn’t know until…after it was done,” the dragons hadn’t been half as bad, then. At least, not that she saw. Sol Regem was, but Sol Regem was also reduced to nearly nothing by then, a shadow of his former, golden glory, blind and angry at everything. No one took Sol Regem seriously.

But then the others began to change – or perhaps just revealed their true colors. It was hard to say.

Aaravos had a room similar, but grander. No surprise – he knew what he was doing. He made his memories visuals, doors and doors of them. No doubt, too many of her. There were endless books here of him. Of her thoughts. Of words she’d erased again and again, but couldn’t erase from her memory.

“At least you can traverse other dreams. You…,” ah.

He could traverse them now, because she had unsealed him. That could be taken away. That should be taken away. She hesitate to mention it as a perk to his dreaming. Or, well…his sleeping.

“I miss dreams.”

The star arcanum was complicated, given the manner in which she came to understand it, fully. She did not regret it, but she wished it had been learned any other way. “I would probably trade this for dreams, again.” At least it would be an escape.

“It really…must be terrible for you to have only this, and no one way to really build new memories.” Beyond his wrath.

~***~

Finnegrin kept that cocky grin on his lips, even if Willow wouldn’t see it with her back to his chest. “Good,” he squeezed her leg, but left his hand there, not wandering around, as his other was wrapped around her waist to keep her near.

Dwelling on their position wouldn’t relax her.

Wouldn’t ease her, and he’d rather that. Casual conversation would do better for that.

So, Finnegrin went away from the subject of their closeness, “Do you know how to swim? You looked rather pathetic out there in the water,” but that could have been the storm. Or it could have been that she didn’t know how to swim.

That latter would need to be rectified while she was on the crew.

Water was all around them. It was necessary to know how to swim in it to avoid death. He might not be on hand to fish her out every time she went into it. Though, really – how had she lived around Scumport so long and not known how to swim?

It had to just be the storm.

Of course Lethe didn’t know. That was the dragons’ intentions, to better persuade her to commit such an act. The dragons only sought after their own goals, and saw themselves as the ultimate beings.

One day, Aaravos vowed, that hubris would be their downfall.

He lifted a brow at Lethe’s pause, never to continue her sentence. He supposed she came to an epiphany as to why he was there. The sealment was no longer casted on his name. She could reverse it, but would she? Or would her curiosity for more win?

“Do you miss dreams? Or do you simply hate reliving certain memories over and over again?” Aaravos could surmise that both could be true. When was the last time he dreamt of something not contained in his memories?

“Everything about my imprisonment is terrible,” Aaravos spoke with a bitter tone. And it was true, he didn’t really get to build many new memories in the last three centuries, up until his plans with Viren began to unfold, and he actually had someone to talk to again, for a little bit.

“There is a potion one could make to take right before bed for pleasant dreams…” But he had no reason to give it to Lethe right then. Maybe, just maybe, if she did something huge for him in her guilt, then he would help her out with one little thing.

~~~

After a moment, the hand on her leg actually felt nice. It spread warmth in her, though their proximity did that as well. More warmth than a mere hand, though if the hand started to wander, that would be challenged.

Finnegrin’s question rather surprised her. It was so…unexpected from what had been happening. Though she supposed that was the reason she was in there to begin with. “No, I don’t know how to swim,” Willow admitted. She didn’t really feel ashamed for it, and even strong swimmers drown in storms.

“I just never learned how to, and there was never a need. My mother wasn’t a strong swimmer herself,” knew just enough to get herself out of a sticky situation, “so I wasn’t taught.” And her father, a sailor who undoubtedly knew how to swim, was never around long enough to teach his daughter.

“I’d prefer to be high up in the trees or on top of cliffs rather than in the water.” That was simply the earthblood in her.

Willow softly sighed. “I never thanked you for saving me, so…thank you for that.”

‘Both.’ Lethe supposed one was more true than the other, but right then, she wasn’t sure which. Her routine had become a comfort, although right then, the thought of reliving any memory was an agony she didn’t want to deal with.

She wouldn’t have to, if she let Aaravos continue to have his freedom, of course. He’d continue to pop in for any escape from his hellish prison. It was not something she’d heavily considered when he was sealed.

Every other prison had guards. Prisoners. People. The isolation hadn’t struck her, until it struck him. Until it was too late to go back. ‘It’s not just one long time out. He isn’t going to think about his actions and improve.’ He was going to be worse.

She sighed at his mention of a potion. “I’m sure it’s dark magic, isn’t it?” It was always dark magic. It was always another way to lure people back into his control, into the fold. She wasn’t doing it again. She’d purified herself of it, and she wasn’t going to suffer through that ‘first time’ nightmare.

Not even if that could be considered a dream in and of itself.

She didn’t think she’d pass through a second time.

"I miss both, but not enough for that again."

~***~

Finnegrin let out an irritated noise from behind Willow as he shook his head at the fact she couldn’t swim, before leaning into her and resting his head on her shoulder, “That needs to be fixed, love.” Swimming lessons were in order, “can’t have you on the ship if you can’t swim,” which didn’t mean she got released if she couldn’t learn.

She’d learn.

He didn’t bother to concern himself with the gratitude. It was spoken, but it should have been spoken far earlier. “Why do you stay near Scumport if you don’t like the sea? Business seems a pathetic reason when you could make ends meet more legitimately elsewhere, and now, almost anywhere.”

Well, perhaps not anywhere.

Biases didn’t change overnight, but she might at least have better luck in the human kingdoms, or among the Sunfire elves, if rumor was true and their queen was marrying a human. Not exactly her kind, but the sunfire weren’t living on the sea.

It wasn’t like Scumport. There’d be far more cliffs for the little pebble to enjoy.

“Were you always hoping to meet me one day?”

Last edited:
Aaravos cocked his head to the side. He didn’t directly answer her question, just letting the question linger on her lips. Let her think of what she wanted. That’s how many people convinced themselves they wanted something different than what they initially thought. Plant the seeds in their head, and they’ll go through an entire debate in their thoughts.

“You’ve purified yourself of dark magic.” Since she helped the Sunfire elves, they may have forced her, or she did it willingly after he was locked away.

“No, I suppose you wouldn’t put yourself through the first nightmare again.” He hummed, and he strolled to a stop in front of Lethe. “How long do you think it’ll be before we meet again?” His hand reached out, and he gently stroked her hair.

He hoped she didn’t forget about his anger and fury. He hoped no one had forgotten, and soon, they may never forget.

“If you’re also on your way…then maybe that reunion will be sooner than anticipated.” Both a threat and a promise.

~~~

Willow groaned at the thought. Swimming lessons! And who was going to teach her, Finnegrin? It was almost amusing to imagine the pirate captain, a feared ruler, giving swimming lessons to her, like she was some young elfling.

The intimate position they were in, cuddled together like some couple enjoying each other’s presence with pillow talk, made Willow feel a bit uncomfortable. Not only because of who it was, but also because this wasn’t something she was used to. Most of those she had slept with in the past weren’t the type to stick around afterwards. Just get the job done then leave.

She didn’t squirm or show her hesitance, but rather leaned into it. If circumstances were different, she may have even admitted it was nice.

“I never said I don’t like the sea, if anything I respect it. But I’ve lived here my entire life, and I wouldn’t know where else to go. The human kingdoms where they would hate my earthblood half? Or to the elves where they would hate my human half?” She would’ve encountered disgust anywhere she went, but now with the border dissolved, the biases have dissipated some. “And for the most part, the residents of Scumport have gotten used to me, though occasionally there would be an issue here and there with those who came for a few days for a job.” They were always the drunk and irritating sort.

Willow scoffed at his question. “With your reputation and the stories I heard?” No, she would rather not deal with him at all, which, she guessed, was why she tried to deal with business right under his nose. It was exhilarating. A sudden memory came to mind, and she chuckled. “You know, we’ve actually met before, when I was a teenager.” She doubted he would remember, as she recalled wearing a cloak that covered her head at the time.

Lethe hummed in agreement with Aaravos's deduction. The magic had been removed from her. Most days, she convinced herself it was willingly. Somedays, she wasn't sure. She was sure if she still knew it, she'd be closer to unraveling mysteries…and dead as some dragon's treat.

It wasn't worth it.

She managed not to flinch when he reached out, though she wanted to step away. She'd forgotten how tall he was, even taller than her horns! A rare feat. Standing, it was all too clear, and she remembered old days when she'd gust the wind up around her legs so she could hover closer to eye level with him. She never wanted to use the mage wings. She always wanted her hands free to mess with him.

A terrible longing filled her as she lifted her hand to move his away. "There won't be one Aaravos." She denied him, looking away. "This is as close as you get. I'm sorry."

~***~

Willow relaxed into his hold and he encouraged it, making sure there was space for her to lean into or curl up in. He'd allow it, whatever way she chose, to keep her warm. Near. He couldn't and wouldn't deny enjoying it for purely selfish reasons.

Fear and uncertainty hindered her travels. He scoffed at it. It hindered so many. People preferred their comforts rather than chasing ambitions and finding a better way to live. She could have found so much more for herself.

But instead, she ended up here.

Maybe that was for the best.

He certainly preferred it. "You'll see more now. Maybe you'll find a place to go live, when that debt is paid." As if it would be.

Another bit of a laugh. "Did we? I can't recall – I see so many people in Scumport. What was that, five years ago?" He had no idea how old she was, and given he aged slower than some, he'd learned he wasn't good at determining ages.

For all he knew, Willow was just 20.

She moved his hand away, but he grasped her wrist before she could pull it away. Gentle, but firm, as if she still had any pretense that he was a hallucination. Aaravos had forgotten how small she appeared next to him, with her horns giving an illusion that she was taller. But even those weren’t comparable to his height.

“It’s cute that you think that.” Did she really think that he wouldn’t find a way out? Did everyone think that? Even trapped at an unknown location, he would still wield his magic to find a way.

Just as he did through Viren, and then through his daughter.

“To have so much hope against something that’s inevitable, that’s adorable. Almost naive and foolish.” He let go of her wrist and took one step back. “Call it curiosity, why did you reverse the spell placed on my name? Surely someone didn’t just ask you, and you caved.”

~~~

Willow didn’t know what she wanted to do in the future. She hadn’t thought too much about what she’ll be doing in several years, just assumed that she’ll always live in the cove, seeing where she could make her next coin.

But now that tensions were easing between the humans and elves, maybe she’ll think about traveling on her own terms, after she can leave. Visiting her mother’s old home. Seeing the human kingdoms.

Willow scoffed. “I suppose I should take it as a compliment that you think my teenage years were only five years ago. No, I was sixteen, so fourteen years ago.” For a tidebound elf, she wondered how the years blended together.

“I was running from these guys,” she would casually neglect to mention she had pickpocketed them for some copper for food, “and when I turned the corner down another street, I was looking back over my shoulder to see if I had lost them yet, and the next thing I knew, I ran into you, and we both fell.”

In the moment it happened, Willow hadn’t thought much of the guy she ran into, but when she got a glance of him, followed by his loyal bodyguard, she panicked. Everyone had heard about Captain Finnegrin.

She didn’t know if he ever saw her face, partially concealed, but she certainly saw his. “Since Deadwood standing near you gave you away as to who you were, I took off again before I could even get my bearings straight, and I managed to blend in with the crowds at the market stalls.”

Lethe was startled, despite herself, by the grip that took her wrist. She made no attempt to free it as Aaravos called her hope cute, secure in his freedom. Perhaps it was inevitable. None of them knew how long he lived, after all.

"If you could do it in your own, you would be free already," Lethe said as he let go of her hand and stepped back. A mad part of herself wanted to follow forward, but for what end? They brought each other no comfort, just questions, tensions, and frustration.

But why lift the name?

"They told me you had allies trying to free you. They wanted to find a way to stop you if we couldn't stop the humans you're manipulating." And ways were suggested. How well they'd work was debatable. "The secret to your prison isn't written down, Aaravos. I imagine you don't even know how to escape, even if those mages find your prison."

It was futile, not inevitable.

Lethe only knew a key had been made and it was kept by the Queen of Katolis. She didn't know how it would work, or if it was a red herring.

"You should release them, Aaravos. You're just setting them up for pain and death."

~***~

Finnegrin was a bit surprised to hear that it was so long ago, though now he was able to figure her age. 30. Yes, he definitely thought she was younger, though not just for reasons of looks.

He wouldn't clarify that, though. Best to leave it on a perceived compliment.

"I wish I could say the memory triggered any recollections, pebble, but I get bumped into more than you'd think, despite my reputation." And sometimes he did take a bit of pretty revenge for such slights if his mood was already foul.

She must have caught him on a good day. He wouldn't have had a problem sending Deadwood to catch her.

"So knowing my reputation, and fearing it as you should, why did you ever think it was a good idea to get into that messy, illegal business of yours?" He couldn't help but add, "do you need thrills to excite you, love?"

“You’re right, I would be free already if I could do it on my own, but I learned long ago that sometimes one just needs a little teamwork.” Really, he just knew he needed outside help to bring everything together.

And everyone, and everything, was falling into place, piece by piece.

Even the children, including little Callum, were doing just as he expected. And they will all help him escape his prison.

“Oh, they’re free to do whatever they wish. I’m not forcing them to help me,” Aaravos said with a grin. Manipulation? Maybe. “Why would you think I’m setting them up for pain and death? I’m actually rewarding them quite nicely for their help, I think.” To keep Viren alive past his thirty days expiration.

That was certainly a motivator for young Claudia, someone with so much potential.

~~~

Willow was hardly surprised that he didn’t remember her. She only recalled it because of who he was, and because she didn’t make a habit of running into people. She already stuck out to people, so she tried to keep a low profile when possible. With some exceptions.

“It started out as a one-job-then-done type of deal for a few extra coins. It was so easy, that I decided to make it into a business for a steady stream of income, and I was successful at that for quite some time.” With Drake right there by her side from the start, and additional associates later on.

Willow was careful to avoid mentioning any specific lengths of time. She didn’t know what he knew of how long she had been going at it, and if it had been going on longer than he thought, what was to stop him from adding even more to his so-called debt? The moment may be…oddly comfortable, but she still knew whose arms were around her.

“I won’t lie, the thrill of doing all of that right under your nose was exciting.” Maybe she did need thrills to excite her. “When did you first learn about my business?”

No, Aaravos didn’t force.

But Aaravos promised many things. He hinted at much more, and Lethe took a step forward then, “Because that’s what you do, Aaravos,” she had been manipulated by him, tricked by him, enough to know. Aditi and Luna were likely, similarly, tricked. “You make promises to people of great rewards, great power, or whatever it is they want, and you use that against them by never telling them everything.”

They walked right into the agony and the death.

“You don’t tell them the consequences of your so-called rewards. If you did, people wouldn’t listen to you.” She wouldn’t have listened to him. “You know that. That’s why you continue to be mute on your so-called good reasons.”

And now more people were going to suffer because they trusted Aaravos.

“I pity them, whoever you’ve chosen to carry this out. If it isn’t your rewards that kill them, it’s going to be….” It was going to be Soren, who was kin to them. It was going to be those children, and her eyes dropped from him again, “..it’s going to be their own family and loved ones.” Leaving behind pain and death.

As Aaravos always did. The pain was already there.

~***~

Finnegrin wasn’t blind to what Willow was doing in not indicating how long it had been operating. He hadn’t asked that – but it was something she could have easily slipped and given. As it was, she was simply vague. And admitted to wanting a thrill, which was perhaps why it was so easy to keep her there, in his arms, for now.

It was a dangerous thrill.

And she was quite aware of what he wanted, even if he wouldn’t take it. No, no, she’d offer it. To pay the debt quicker, or because she was curious – the reason didn’t much matter – but she would in due time.

“Maybe we’re more alike than you realize,” except Finnegrin had the power to get away with his vices that excited him, whereas Willow did not. Proven, of course, by her current position as his crew. “I learned about it, oh…3, 3 ½ years ago, somewhere around there. Didn’t mean much then. Then, I kept hearing about it, and you must have gotten quite bold, because you started to take more, and more, from me.”

Whether it had started out with taking from him or not was debatable. He didn’t have an answer – but he knew it led to that.

“So I waited a bit until I was certain I knew who the ringleader was between you and Drake, then I made sure I knew of one of your deals, and sent Deadwood. Not too difficult when the entire port needs you for trade,” he grinned, “I’d asked it of several traveling merchants. The one you were dealing with certainly enjoyed his bribe to help delay.”

Aaravos tilted his head to the side as he considered Lethe, standing so small before him. So much she thought about him, no doubt thanks to centuries of lies fed to her by those who sought his demise.

But…maybe not completely wrong on some things.

“I believe the biggest reason as to why I was interested in having you as my pupil was due to your incomparable intelligence and natural curiosity.” And the way she naturally picked up spells demonstrated by Aaravos.

She could have learned so much more. Become so much more powerful than where she was now.

“And yet you don’t use that intelligence to draw your own conclusions, but rather rehash what others tell you. I know, as I’ve heard someone speak similar words to me before.” But Aaravos never forced anyone to do anything for him. He gently persuaded by offering gifts.

He gave Viren the crown. He taught Claudia more about dark magic.

“I bother to not argue anymore, because I feel that everyone already formed their own opinion about me. How truly disappointing. Aaravos placed two fingers on the underside of Lethe’s chin, lifting it up so he could look into her eyes. “But it’s no worries. I trust that one day soon, everything I’ve prepared for will finally come to fruition, and I’ll be sure you’re there to watch.”

~~~

Willow wanted to deny that they were alike, but she left it a silent thought for now. She didn’t kill like he did, nor did she use fear to keep subordinates in line. What else was there to the pirate that she really only knew through reputation? And how many similarities did they truly have in common?

Well, you may be the daughter of a pirate.

She shook her mind from that untested theory and made a hum of interest upon learning how long he’d known about her little business. So she had gotten away with it for nearly two years, and somewhere along the way, they slipped up and had been doomed since.

If she had known Finnegrin had been keeping an eye on her ventures for over three years, she and Drake would have left Scumport then, unsure of where their next home would be.

She was hardly surprised that the merchant folded to a bribe. They all could be bought with a price. Willow just wished she had been more prepared to run from Deadwood. “So I was on your mind for three years?” She grinned. Sure, she knew that she would’ve been more of a thought here and there, but she wondered if he ever got frustrated by the fact someone had been taking from him for several years.

A certain obvious physical reaction from him gave her some ideas over what he thought of her. “Did it frustrate you, when you learned of me?” Willow was too curious for her own good, to see if she could learn of his reactions as he discovered more of her business dealings.

Lethe wouldn’t allow his compliments to phase her. Once, she would have lived for them – once she did live for them, every encouragement engaging her to take more steps. Now she knew them for the tricks they were. Now, she saw what he was doing, and she claimed it, “I am intelligent,” she said with defiance, as if he hadn’t said it.

More, as if he hadn’t meant it, “Which is why I recognize you’ve never once argued about this matter with anyone. You say what it is, and you refuse to engage with the conversation…at least here.”

Where it came to dark magic, he’d been quite persuasive. Life needed life. Did they not eat meat? What difference, then, to use dark magic? And she’d felt it – the pull dark magic had on some other source, something she wanted to tap into.

She turned her head and stepped away from him, “I tried to find your innocence for so long, Aaravos. I tried to come up with my own conclusions, I argued with them, but I had nothing, in the end, to defend you with.” Not against his foes. Not against her own waning belief. “And then I talk to you again after three hundred years…terrified because I had to be wrong. I had to be wrong if the dragons are just vindictive murderers…and you’re full of the rage you should be.”

Her shoulders slumped, “But you’ve spent these years just thinking of what you’ll do when you get out. You didn’t spend any of it reflecting on why those who loved you, turned on you. For a man as intelligent as you are…I thought you would have started to understand your fault in this, too.”

She sighed, “If it all comes to fruition as you dream it, Aaravos, I am sure I will be there to be disappointed in you once again."

~***~

Again, Willow tried to be special. He snorted at her mention of being on his mind for three years. Well, she’d started to exist in his mind three years ago or so, but it certainly wasn’t a daily occurrence. That didn’t come until far more recently, when her activity started to truly cut into his business and annoy him.

“Not in the way I’m sure you’d like to think you’re frustrating me now, half breed,” he couldn’t help but drop that, to frustrate her. To anger her. “You were another nuisance like so many others in Scumport, and then you took it too far. The frustration was rather short-lived,” he noted.

“If you had truly frustrated me, I assure you, I may have just let you drown in those waters and called it good,” or killed her outright when she couldn’t pay, if he didn’t want to deal with her on his ship.

Some of them, the satisfaction of watching them suffer daily on his ship just wasn’t worth the irritation of their prolonged existence.

Hers was worth it.

It helped she was nice to look at, of course.

“But thankfully for you, I enjoy the sight of you more than I enjoy the thought of killing you, so far.”

Aaravos frowned as he watched her turn away from him, to reflect back at him her thoughts and realizations over the centuries. Of her understanding his rage but questioning his understanding.

To express her disappointment at him.

For a split second, Aaravos felt a pain in his chest, but it went away before he could question it. “Sometimes it’s pointless to engage in an argument with those who don’t wish to hear the other side.” And there was nothing to argue.

He wasn’t in the wrong. That he knew.

“Just as there’s no point to reflect on why things happened the way they did. No one could understand, so they feared, and they weren’t ready for the reasoning and arguments. The dragons especially refused to even let me speak.” Such vain, egotistical creatures who saw no being of higher importance than they.

“I’ll be sure you’re not left disappointed, my dear star.”

~~~

Willow huffed in anger at the nickname she hated so much. She couldn’t retaliate though. Not at the moment, when Finnegrin had his arms around her, and when the only thing that shielded her body from his gaze was a blanket he could yank away at any moment.

That last thought thrilled her more than she cared for.

But she wasn’t disappointed to learn she hadn’t frustrated him as much as she teased. She was honestly glad she didn’t, for the reasons Finnegrin listed. She liked living.

She’d prefer to be free.

“And I’m glad you enjoy the sight of me far more than the thought of killing me.” But her looks had helped in her case, which didn’t surprise her. It was obvious he thought of her attractive enough to offer alternate payment methods, and for their current predicament. She shifted slightly on his lap for better comfort, the obvious enjoyment and perhaps frustration of her clear beneath her.

“I’ve certainly seen less appealing pirates before.” Willow wouldn’t outright say he was pretty, but there was a certain rogue-ish quality to him. She still feared his power, but in the conversation, in their position, it was something she could forget for the moment.

‘I want to hear!’

No, Aaravos didn’t grant her that. He continued to just insist, and it was, indeed, disappointing. He hadn’t at all realized it was this behavior – and the murders – that led him here. It was why he couldn’t be released. He hadn’t changed. He hadn’t learned.

He’d be worse, with his anger.

She wasn’t confident she’d truly live long enough to be disappointed.

Perhaps that would be a boon.

‘Those who fail tests of love, deserve to be motivated by fear.’ Somehow, that old saying came to mind as he mentioned how pointless it was to reflect on how they got here, or why. It was all a misunderstanding. Did he think she was motivated only by fear?

Would he consider her on par with those animals he spoke of, now? He’d never consider he had failed the test of love himself.

“It is pointless,” Lethe agreed, from her own part. “And I’m not yours.” She denied the nickname again and went to retrieve the book she’d set down, to return to her chair, “You should enjoy this freedom while you have it, Aaravos. Speak with your dark mages if you want to have a chance to speak clearly to them.”

If they slept.

If they dreamt.

His freedom to roam dreams couldn’t last, and she could ignore him with a book. Theoretically, like the Bookery. Never mind that he could actually move things here and interact. The reminder of his limited time might be enough to get him to leave.

~***~

Finnegrin grunted as Willow shifted, and adjusted his own posture a bit, to remain more comfortable. He knew how he’d prefer to be, but of course, he couldn’t just have that. In moving, of course, his hand on her thigh shifted a bit, as did his hand around her waist, both higher than before.

“Obviously. You’ve seen Deadwood,” Deadwood wasn’t appealing. “And the rest of this ragtag group.” He didn’t really think he had any threats in appearance that way.

He didn’t have many threats to his looks from other pirates in general, though, and he knew it. He was quite aware that many liked his looks. He took care of himself, and that edge of danger thrilled people more than they liked to admit.

More than Willow liked to admit.

He squeezed her thigh, “Though you haven’t seen the best parts of me yet, love, nor I of you. We could fix that.” It would just take a tug on the blanket for him, of course. It’d be a bit more work for Willow, but – well, it was all but guaranteed if he could have that blanket off of her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back