• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

The Death Knight's Squire: A Solo 5E Adventure

GinkyGotBack

A Very Good Boy
1587092101302.png

I am looking to DM a solo adventure called 'The Death Knight's Squire' by Paul Bimler, an original adventure booklet that can be found and purchased at this link here (You will not be required to purchase the booklet to be able to play). I have not been sponsored in any way, shape or form to do this. I'm just some guy on the internet with some time to kill what with all this COVID-19 stuff going on. Plus, it'd be a little rude to use this guy's adventure without at least mentioning him, right? Right. So with that out of the way, let's get right to the backstory and the rules.

1587092279578.png

You are an adventurer traveling through Faerun in search of a large hoard of treasure hidden somewhere within an abandoned goblin keep, however, all you have are rumors to guide your way. As you make your journey you stop in the town of Orlbar, at the foot of the Greypeak Mountains for a little rest and relaxation. After finding an inn to stay for the night only to find yourself working for an elderly couple whose grandson has been kidnapped by a mysterious knight on horseback. The couple has admitted to being prominent public figures and with the town guard being of no use to them, he has offered you a handsome sum of 2000 gold pieces should you return their grandson to them.

Okay, with the flavor out of the way, here are the rules. I really do suggest you read them before you do anything else!

Character Creation Rules
  • You will create a character at level 2. They will start out with the basic gear that comes with their class (starting class if you choose to multiclass) and background as well as 150 gold pieces to spend on whatever you'd like from the Player's Handbook lists of armor, weapons, and equipment.
  • For ability scores, you can either choose between rolling for them (4d6's taking away the lowest rolled dice) and point buy.
  • Your character must be a PHB+1 character, meaning you must use the Player's Handbook and, if you like, one other source to create your PC. This can be either Volo's Guide to Monsters, Elemental Evil, Xanathar's Guide to Everything, Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes, or Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. You must state which source you've decided to use, if any, either in your character sheet or in the same post containing it. Unearthed Arcana and homebrew options will not be allowed.
  • You will still have to write a backstory and personality for your character despite this being a 1x1 game. Characters without a compelling backstory and background will be considered incomplete for the sake of picking who starts and who goes next (see below) and will have to complete it by the start of the next adventure or else you will be skipped again. If this happens twice, you will be considered ineligible to play the adventure and removed from the pool of potential players.
  • Whether your character sheet is complete or simply a work in progress, you may post it below so that you and your character's name will be added to the pool of eligible players.

Game and Adventure Rules
  • I will DM for multiple players, albeit one at a time, starting with the first person to post a finished character sheet. When a player reaches the end of the adventure, either because they finished it or their character perished, I will move on to the next player who posted a finished character sheet after them, and so on and so forth. Essentially, it's first come, first serve, which may seem a bit irritating but that way I don't have to play favorites when picking who's up next.
  • We will be making all our posts and performing all our dice rolls here on RPN. As much as I dislike
  • Occasionally, when the adventure booklet prompts me to, I will roll a d100, which will be known as a chance roll. It is titled thus because there is a chance nothing will happen. However, if something does happen, it will not simply be some random encounter from a table. The encounter will be pertinent to the adventure, entwined in the plot and may also provide you with clues and/or items that could help you later in the adventure. This can leave things nice and open as well as add some variety to each adventure.
  • While there is no rush to get a post out, you should be able to post at least once a week. If not, your adventure may be cut short so we may move on to the next player unless of course, you give a good reason for your absence. This is so we don't get stuck on one part of the adventure for too long and so we can give other people a chance to play should you become inactive.

Man, rules suck, am I right? Anywho, once you're done reading, or skipping, through all of that crap you can just post your character sheet below and we can get started with our first adventure ASAP. Also, if you have any questions or you would like help creating your character just send me a PM or post it below and I'll get to it as soon as I'm able! Thanks for reading!​

I'd like to reserve a spot, thought I suspect someone might get ahead of me due to the fact work probably won't allow me to make a sheet till tomorrow this time. :D

Yeah, it is fairly first come, first serve I'm afraid. If it makes you feel any better, this adventure doesn't seem too long and assuming we can keep a steady pace with posts we should be able to go through players quite easily. On another bright side, I can't imagine too many people posting character sheets before tomorrow, so you could just as easily land the third or even second spot in the pool if you're lucky!

But then, will everyone be going through the same adventure? Or will it… go on somehow?

But then, will everyone be going through the same adventure? Or will it… go on somehow?
There are more adventures that play off of the ending of this one, all made by Paul Bimler, that continue the plot further. When it comes to this adventure, The Death Knight's Squire, yes, besides some few differences here and there, not taking into account any actions players may take to change the narrative, everyone will be going through more or less the same adventure. If this goes well, I'll probably end up buying the next installment in the series and anyone whose characters survived the first adventure can carry on to the next.

And if that goes well, I may just make a campaign where I invite all the survivors to join, but that's yet to be seen.

This looks wondeful. About how long would each player's run take, do you think? I have a paladin character ready, but I'm going to be busy for the next week and I'd rather the first player be one who can immediately jump in.

Oh this feels like it would be fun; question: What source books can we use to create our characters?
I have them listed above but I can put them here too.

Volo's Guide to Monsters, Elemental Evil, Xanathar's Guide to Everything, Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes, or Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. Keep in mind you'll only be able to pick one of those books though. And of course the Player's Handbook. No Eberron or Wildemount I'm afraid :(

This looks wondeful. About how long would each player's run take, do you think? I have a paladin character ready, but I'm going to be busy for the next week and I'd rather the first player be one who can immediately jump in.

Reading the booklet it plays out a lot like a choose your own adventure book, which would normally allow someone to just blast right through it, but of course I'm going to change things up so that characters will have more freedom in what they want to do. It's not a very long adventure, considering it was made for just one player, so considering all of this I'd say someone could run through it in a week, maybe two at the most depending on how quick people are to post. And if someone's character dies, that definitely cuts the length of the adventure quite a bit lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back