• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Futuristic The Astra Veda [Sci-Fi/Fantasy with Hindu influences!]

Lexielai

Cal Bear
Astra.png

Initializing New Astra Orientation...

ICwZXFS.jpg
Welcome, Astra. Congratulations on surviving the Initiation Ritual. You are now the latest in a long lineage of supernatural warriors known as the Astras. We understand you may be having trouble reorienting yourself. Worry not, this is a common side effect post-Initiation. Allow us to refresh your memory for you.

Our civilization is the sole known survivor of the calamity known as the Pralaya, which devastated the known universe several millennia ago. In the time since we have lost almost all knowledge on the events of that catastrophe and the world which existed prior. All we have left are scattered relics from that bygone age, which we have studied and reverse-engineered to produce the advanced technology we now possess.

Today we reside in a single, vast city known as Trinity. It was named so by our ancestors, who set aside their conflicts to unite the three races in an effort to survive, and later prosper. While immensely wide (as it spans the entirety of our continent), Trinity had always been designed to build upwards. Today the main habitable levels lie atop towering foundations stretching hundreds of miles into the sky. Though it is not officially divided in this way, the neighborhoods of Trinity are socially ordered according to their elevation. Those who reside on the top of the highest levels sit comfortably at the peak of the hierarchy, while most live in the middle and the poorest and unwanted in the lower levels. It is said that at the very bottom of Trinity's foundations lie the ruins of our ancient civilization, though no one has yet ventured deep enough to say for sure.

We thrive under the rule of our glorious Empress, who presides over Trinity in the Golden Palace. Beside her are the seven Divya Astras. The title is from the ancient language of our people long ago. Roughly translated, they are also known as the Divine Weapons; the holy guardians of our empire. They are the pinnacle of the Astras, the weapons. These are the peak of who some of you strive to be, though not always.

History of the Astras

ElIwTST.jpg
Long ago the Astras were named so because they were often used as powerful instruments of destruction in war. Unlike ordinary people, they possess the capacity to not only harness the power of Tejas (the fiery energy), but to use it to summon and temporarily become mythical figures once believed to have been mere fiction, known as their Avatars. Some believe Astras are, in fact, gods who have descended to live among mortals; others that they are mere flukes, born of residual energy from a bygone era. Nevertheless, they are beings of unmistakable power.

Today, Astras originate from all three races. The Manu, the humans, are the most plentiful and adaptable, but perhaps the most short lived. The Devas, once believed to be angels or gods, are wise and long-lived, but stubbornly hold on to their traditions. And lastly the Asuras, thought to be demons by ancient humans, are chaotic and fierce, yet shunned for their sinister appearance.

In the modern world, Astras have moved past their traditional roots. Instead they participate in a grand competition, known as the Ashvamedha. Watching the Ashvamedha is a popular activity across Trinity, and a sport many participate in, although only the Astra are able to channel the supernatural powers to play as intended. In the Ashvamedha, teams of Astras across Trinity regularly face off in objective-based battles, where combat is encouraged and few rules are imposed as they fight to either subdue their enemy or accomplish their objective to achieve victory. Only with a mix of teamwork, strategy, and the individual skill of these Astras will they proceed onwards to eventually reach the top, with the hopes of becoming a champion, and perhaps a Divya Astra, later on.

Who will you become?

IMPORTANT! RP Information

1) Summarized briefly, this is a sports RP in a sci-fi/fantasy setting influenced by Hindu mythology. Yeah, I know it sounds ridiculous. Ridiculously cool.

2) You are not expected to have any knowledge of Hindu mythology, nor are restricted to it. I will be explaining any elements of Hinduism included. Ideally your characters will have entirely original Avatars, or ones influenced by the gods and demons and mythology of any culture, Hindu or otherwise. Go ham! Within reason, of course.

3) The above said, there are a few expectations on your first character. One, we are focusing on a narrow segment of this world: the Astras. Thus, for this RP they must be a professional Astra, which is equivalent to a sports player. Two, the theme of this roleplay is primarily about perseverance and overcoming failure; in other words your characters weaknesses and how they react to losing are the most important thing. I am not looking for perfect characters who overcome every challenge. I want characters who have internal struggle, doubts, and frustrations, and who fall down sometimes. If you're not too interested in that, then this may not be your thing.

4) This interest check is mainly a gauge for general interest in the idea; the roleplay itself is not quite developed enough yet. Write a short reply to this thread if you're interested, and I'll put your name down!

Note: I apologize if the appropriation of Hindu ideas here offends you in any way. I thought it was a shame the rich mythos of Hinduism was so underrepresented in modern media, including RPN, so I created this. Hopefully I'll be able to teach some of it to those of you unfamiliar with the topic!

Last edited:
Astra.png

Initializing New Astra Orientation...

Welcome, Astra. Congratulations on surviving the Initiation Ritual. You are now the latest in a long lineage of supernatural warriors known as the Astras. We understand you may be having trouble reorienting yourself. Worry not, this is a common side effect post-Initiation. Allow us to refresh your memory for you.

Our civilization is the sole known survivor of the calamity known as the Pralaya, which devastated the known universe several millennia ago. In the time since we have lost almost all knowledge on the events of that catastrophe and the world which existed prior. All we have left are scattered relics from that bygone age, which we have studied and reverse-engineered to produce the advanced technology we now possess.

Today we reside in a single, vast city known as Trinity. It was named so by our ancestors, who set aside their conflicts to unite the three races in an effort to survive, and later prosper. While immensely wide (as it spans the entirety of our continent), Trinity had always been designed to build upwards. Today the main habitable levels lie atop towering foundations stretching hundreds of miles into the sky. Though it is not officially divided in this way, the neighborhoods of Trinity are socially ordered according to their elevation. Those who reside on the top of the highest levels sit comfortably at the peak of the hierarchy, while most live in the middle and the poorest and unwanted in the lower levels. It is said that at the very bottom of Trinity's foundations lie the ruins of our ancient civilization, though no one has yet ventured deep enough to say for sure.

We thrive under the rule of our glorious Empress, who presides over Trinity in the Golden Palace. Beside her are the seven Divya Astras. The title is from the ancient language of our people long ago. Roughly translated, they are also known as the Divine Weapons; the holy guardians of our empire. They are the pinnacle of the Astras, the weapons. These are the peak of who some of you strive to be, though not always.

History of the Astras

Long ago the Astras were named so because they were often used as powerful instruments of destruction in war. Unlike ordinary people, they possess the capacity to not only harness the power of Tejas (the fiery energy), but to use it to summon and temporarily become a past incarnation of themselves. Through this process they become Avatars. Though the power of the Avatar lies entirely in the quality and quantity of the Astra's individual Tejas, we have discovered that most modern Astras were reincarnations of powerful individuals in their own right. Some postulate one only has the capacity to become an Astra if they were already powerful in their past life, though there are notable exceptions.

Among the Avatars summoned include those once considered to be gods and demons, the ancient ancestors of the Devas and Asuras. Today the Manus, the humans, live in harmony with the Devas and Asuras races, and indeed it appears that the reincarnation process transcends racial barriers across time; human Astras are equally as likely to be reincarnations of a Deva or Asura as a human and vice versa.

In the present the Astras have moved past their traditional roots. Instead they participate in a grand competition, known as the Ashvamedha. Watching the Ashvamedha is a popular activity across Trinity, and a sport many participate in, although only the Astra are able to channel the supernatural powers to play as intended. In the Ashvamedha, teams of Astras across Trinity regularly face off in objective-based battles, where combat is encouraged and few rules are imposed as they fight to either subdue their enemy or accomplish their objective to achieve victory. Only with a mix of teamwork, strategy, and the individual skill of these Astras will they proceed onwards to eventually reach the top, with the hopes of becoming a champion, and perhaps a Divya Astra, later on.

Who will you become?

IMPORTANT! RP Information

1) Summarized briefly, this is a sports RP in a sci-fi/fantasy setting influenced by Hindu mythology. Yeah, I know it sounds ridiculous. Ridiculously cool.

2) You are not expected to have any knowledge of Hindu mythology, nor are restricted to it. I will be explaining any elements of Hinduism included. Ideally your characters will have entirely original Avatars, or ones influenced by the gods and demons and mythology of any culture, Hindu or otherwise. Go ham! Within reason, of course.

3) The above said, there are a few expectations on your first character. One, we are focusing on a narrow segment of this world: the Astras. Thus, for this RP they must be a professional Astra, which is equivalent to a sports player. Two, the theme of this roleplay is primarily about perseverance and overcoming failure; in other words your characters weaknesses and how they react to losing are the most important thing. I am not looking for perfect characters who overcome every challenge. I want characters who have internal struggle, doubts, and frustrations, and who fall down sometimes. If you're not too interested in that, then this may not be your thing.

4) This interest check is mainly a gauge for general interest in the idea; the roleplay itself is not quite developed enough yet. Write a short reply to this thread if you're interested, and I'll put your name down!

Note: I apologize if the appropriation of Hindu ideas here offends you in any way. I thought it was a shame the rich mythos of Hinduism was so underrepresented in modern media, including RPN, so I created this. Hopefully I'll be able to teach some of it to those of you unfamiliar with the topic!

This sounds cool! Totally interested!

Thanks for the support guys! As for what to expect, I will probably start working on this next week (since the upcoming one is my last week of instruction)

As an additional update for anyone wondering why sports is the focus, there were a few factors going into the decision. Number one being that it allowed for a controlled setting to develop the world and the mystery of it. I anticipate the skills learned by our characters in simulated battles may be useful in other events later on (⌐■_■)

This has certainly caught my eye, but I'd like to see more before I commit.

SP3CT3R SP3CT3R A reasonable request. Anything of a particular nature you are looking for? I'll take a note to emphasize working on what players need if possible.

SP3CT3R SP3CT3R A reasonable request. Anything of a particular nature you are looking for? I'll take a note to emphasize working on what players need if possible.
Well, I'm curious about a lot, but, for starters, what are the other two races like? I've read their names before, and I'm maybe 40% sure that they're a vague equivalent to angels and demons.

Coward Coward Sure! I am not a stickler on post size, but I do place priorities on overall character development and quality prose. Not particularly strict in that regard either though; I most value players who are considerate and willing to work with people, even at the expense of their own time in the spotlight. I always let people give my roleplays a shot, and if I notice they need an improvement, I'll usually give them the chance to improve.

SP3CT3R SP3CT3R Yes, Devas are equivalent to Gods and Asuras to Demons. I'm glad you took an interest in that detail because it stems directly from Hindu mythology! It should be noted that Devas and Asuras are often depicted as advanced, powerful groups of godlike individuals in religious literature, but not immune to death or the ravages of time. Generally Devas are depicted as more benevolent indivduals while Asuras are their malevolent enemies. Meanwhile it's pretty much impossible for Manus, humans, to live long enough or be powerful enough to be of any real significance to them.

For the purposes of this RP, the embellishments of religious literature will be treated as just that: exaggerations. Devas and Asuras were once technologically advanced races who seemed godlike to primitive humans. They were engaged in a generations-long war for as long as anyone could remember, with the humans sometimes being conscripted into the fight or caught in the crossfire. Post-Pralaya, in the current era, they're pretty much normal people (in personality). Their morality and motivations vary like any other person, though Devas tend to have a predisposition towards order and discipline and Asuras towards chaos and individuality. Physically Devas and Asuras are free from the homogeneity of humans; they can be and look like anything. Dinosaurs, giant eagles, other humanoids, anything! Notably in religious works Devas are associated with more "nice" things like eagles, monkeys, boars, elephants, etc. and Asuras with more "threatening" things like snakes or tigers. In this roleplay the distinction is in the hands of you, the player, for your character.

Coward Coward Sure! I am not a stickler on post size, but I do place priorities on overall character development and quality prose. Not particularly strict in that regard either though; I most value players who are considerate and willing to work with people, even at the expense of their own time in the spotlight. I always let people give my roleplays a shot, and if I notice they need an improvement, I'll usually give them the chance to improve.

SP3CT3R SP3CT3R Yes, Devas are equivalent to Gods and Asuras to Demons. I'm glad you took an interest in that detail because it stems directly from Hindu mythology! It should be noted that Devas and Asuras are often depicted as advanced, powerful groups of godlike individuals in religious literature, but not immune to death or the ravages of time. Generally Devas are depicted as more benevolent indivduals while Asuras are their malevolent enemies. Meanwhile it's pretty much impossible for Manus, humans, to live long enough or be powerful enough to be of any real significance to them.

For the purposes of this RP, the embellishments of religious literature will be treated as just that: exaggerations. Devas and Asuras were once technologically advanced races who seemed godlike to primitive humans. They were engaged in a generations-long war for as long as anyone could remember, with the humans sometimes being conscripted into the fight or caught in the crossfire. Post-Pralaya, in the current era, they're pretty much normal people (in personality). Their morality and motivations vary like any other person, though Devas tend to have a predisposition towards order and discipline and Asuras towards chaos and individuality. Physically Devas and Asuras are free from the homogeneity of humans; they can be and look like anything. Dinosaurs, giant eagles, other humanoids, anything! Notably in religious works Devas are associated with more "nice" things like eagles, monkeys, boars, elephants, etc. and Asuras with more "threatening" things like snakes or tigers. In this roleplay the distinction is in the eyes of the beholder.
Is the appearance thing the result of voluntary shapeshifting or fucked-up genetics? If it's the former, could the shapeshifting whatever be used on humans, and do these races have a default form?

SP3CT3R SP3CT3R I will leave the exact origins a mystery for now, though I will say it appears genetic. However there is a subrace of Asuras, the Rakshasas, who can voluntarily shapeshift. I never considered applying the attributes of Asuras or Devas on humans since it seemed contradictory to be mixing two different themes, but if that's what you're going for I don't see why it wouldn't work. We have the technology!

I counted 8 so far, so 4 per team? I'm thinking it would be cool to have a team sun and team moon (light and dark)
I’m not against it, but I would only support it if it furthered some sort of theme in the narrative and other players agreed upon it

BLUR BLUR , Lucem Lucem , Coward Coward , R Reaper4 , SP3CT3R SP3CT3R , S Shabazz , Terrabreak Terrabreak Hey everyone! I wanted to update that I will be working on this project this week, but may not be completely ready because I need to also study for finals next week. I will also be making a few revisions to the lore to be more true to Hindu mythology and expand a little more on the mystery of Trinity, although the theme will still remain the same!

BLUR BLUR , Lucem Lucem , Coward Coward , R Reaper4 , SP3CT3R SP3CT3R , S Shabazz , Terrabreak Terrabreak I am ALIVE! I've gotten the framework mostly set up, and you guys are welcome to get started on character sheets if you are so inclined. Do make sure the check out the Introduction and Summaries in The Codex before you write your CS! Please excuse the poor quality of writing.

Also, joining the discord server is not necessary but I HIGHLY encourage it. Thank you for your all your patience!!

Astra Veda(IC)
Astra Veda (OOC)
The Codex (LORE)
Astra Veda (CS)
Discord Server

Am I too late to join? I've been looking for a futuristic role-play for awhile, and the Hindu influence immediately caught my interest (Diwali, anyone?) :' )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back