• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

That Which Separates

InsanEleven

King Allyn the Autistic
In a small village four adventurers meet, of vastly different backgrounds, in a world of vastly different views. Ever since the Gunpowder Revolution, a new world has been on the rise. Magic and traditional adventuring have been falling to the background with the rise of the equaliser known as guns.

Furthermore anti-magic movements have been on the rise in new-world countries, holding the fundamental belief that only the gun makes everyone equal. Magic is considered unfair and in their eyes should be eradicated. While far from every place is this extremist, the lands have become divided nonetheless.

It is here a set of people from different backgrounds meet for a common goal regardless of what world they originated from: money. Better said, a well paying adventurers job.

Emmalia walked into the inn and kept her head down. She heard some jeers and jests thrown at her from a couple of drunken men about how she was a woman wearing armour and carrying a weapon, but a single icy glare silenced them. The rest of the room ignored her, except for the barkeep, who was honestly surprised to see her alive. She got to the bar and set her pack on an empty stool. The barkeep almost seemed nervous. Knowing this, Emmalia decided not to waste any time and pulled out a damp, bloodstained burlap bag and dropped it on the counter. Immediately the barkeep snatched the bag up and opened it, spilling its bloody contents onto the bar: siren claws and fins. When he reached out to pick a claw up, Emmalia grabbed his hand, her motions blurring before the eye. "Payment first." They had a deal, and Emmalia didn't want to get ripped off - not that she wouldn't find a way to force the man to pay her if it came to that. The barkeep nodded and Emmalia let him go so he could pull out a number of gold coins. "Thank you, shieldmaiden, I am happy to know that no others will endure the same fate as my brother." Emmalia glanced at the man, then counted the coins, ensuring that he wasn't using a sympathy decoy to distract from the number of coins. Everything was accounted for. Emmalia would have, in complete truth, given the barkeep a bit o a break on the price, however, she knew how much money this inn brought in, and how much of it was pure profit to him - it had only been a few moments' calculation for her - and killing sirens was a bitch. Even though almost a day had passed since she'd killed the creatures, her thick black hair was still a bit damp and her clothes were still chill against her skin. Emmalia just nodded to the man and pocketed the coins. "My condolences. So, are there any other similar paying jobs at the moment?" In other words, was there anything people needed killed?

The barkeep thought for a moment, then reached under the counter and sorted through some papers, standing back up to hand her a poster. "Adventurers Required: Beast needs slaying immediately. Will reward handsomely. Apply at your own risk. Information will be given in the town hall on the proper date:" Well, what did you know, the date happened to correspond to later that very afternoon. Huh. Emmalia nodded to the man and folded up the posted to put in her pocket. She went upstairs to her room and changed into some dry clothing. Part of the bargain with the barkeep had been a free room in their inn any time she wanted it. And considering it was the best inn in the village, she would almost have been willing to kill sirens just for that. The sirens had infested a river near the village and lured a few men to a very unfortunate death. Emmalia had no sympathy or sirens, for they couldn't even comprehend sympathy unless they were of the Merric variety, and any sirens in a river were most certainly not.

Once she had changed and checked her pack over, Emmalia left again to go to the town hall. Apparently, she was the first to arrive. Oh well. She walked into the large, open hall made of elaborately piled stone, and leaned against a column in the center. The walls had tapestries depicting a number of gods and even a few warriors and mages of legend. She could definitely appreciate the intricate artwork that added colour to the otherwise rather bland hall. With the right preparations, the very large, long building could be turned into a nice festive place. The high ceiling would allow the smoke from braziers to go up, the columns would allow torches to light the area, and any music would surely echo through the hall. Emmalia leaned her head back and closed her eyes, imagining it. The smell of deliciously cooked foods, music and laughter, dancing, perhaps some children playing in the corner. The image in her mind was warm and beautiful and inviting. There was a slight smile on her face but after a few seconds she opened her eyes again, taking in the cold, empty hall with almost a bit of disappointment. Not that that made much sense it was her fault for thinking up such a thing based off her own past and this building. And she knew that that it was pointless to reminisce on her past - it was gone. She reminded herself that the cold empty hall was much more her style than the warm filled hall anyway.

Sighing, mostly out of boredom, Emmalia checked over her weapons, a shortsword on her left hip, her lion gauntlet in its holster on her belt on her right hip, and her buckler on her back on top of her pack. Her emerald eyes made periodic sweeps of the room, even though she was likely to hear anyone coming before she saw them. Anyone who saw her would clearly know why she was there, just by her weaponry if not her armour: a hard leather bodice, chainmaille on her upper arms, leather gloves on her belt for later use. And by the way she leaned on the column, it was very clear that she was there for business and nothing else.

Liam quietly held the piece of paper in his hands, sitting on the stone bench circling an old oak tree. For some reason he was sitting faced towards the tree, even if the benches weren't really made for it. If this wasn't enough to warrant odd glances from the very normal and obviously busy townspeople, then it would be the fact that he apparently was talking to the tree. He took the glances and avoidance well, and clearly he was used to it.

"I'm just not sure if it's a good idea, but I don't really have a choice do I?" His eyes doubtfully darted between the piece of paper, and something only visible to him. Adding to the oddity he seemed to allow this invisible thing the time to speak, nodding and listening. For a little moment he seemed to think about the silent words, biting his index finger and looking around with an absent gaze. Which was met with more hateful and weirded out ones from the townspeople, but he still didn't notice. Or pretended not to notice.

"That's true, I suppose. I do really need the money. But I don't like killing things, they always seem so sad when they go," The words appeared distraught, and though he admitted to killing, he seemed genuinely not to like it all that much. "I know death is part of it all, and that sometimes it has to happen. Of course I do... but it would make me a bit of a bad person if I actually liked it." Carefully he nodded when he spoke, confirming he agreed to his own words. When he looked down at the paper he bit his finger again though, still not entirely content about accepting such a thing. While looking at it his gaze seemed to light up slightly, before he chuckled a bit.

"Oh no, I don't think that's true sir. I however have to thank you for your help, of course I already had made my mind the moment I took the paper, but now I feel less like it was a mistake. My offer also still stands, it must be awfully uncomfortable hanging there all day." While speaking he carefully folded the paper, making sure all the edges neatly aligned. Holding it near his sleeve, two tiny mechanical paws cautiously appeared from the dark and grabbed the paper. Only to immediately drag it away, travel through his clothes and to reappear from the back of his collar. A fully mechanical mouse rapidly and precisely stored the paper in one of the many side pockets on his bag.

"Well we get used to many strange things more easily than we like, so I can not hold that decision against you. Have a good day sir! I will visit again if I live." With a little spring in his movements, oddly unfazed in the light of the possibility of his own demise, and a made up mind he turned around, throwing his feet over the bench and getting up to make his way towards the town hall. While doing so he admired the town, smiling to the people even if they glared and spoke behind his back. It never really seemed clear if he actually knew they did, or if he was stuck in his own odd version of the world. His behaviour seemed to give the idea of the latter, and on his way to the town hall he got distracted by many things that had to be uninteresting as they were ignored by everyone else.

In silent fascination he examined a barrel of rainwater, a few dead bugs floating around in the murky liquid. Once he fished out a still live, but half drowned one and carefully placed it on the wall beside the vat, he quickly looked around to see if anyone was near. When he knew there wasn't he blew over the water with a sharp exhale. Only if you paid attention, you would see faint blue lights in the shape of bugs fly away, fading nearly instantly. Instances like these happened frequently, and he more or less darted between them while still inching closer to the town hall. Once he had finished catching the ghost of a dead rat in an alley he finally didn't have any more things to get distracted by, and he reached the town hall.

Slowly and a tad too concerned not to make any unnecessary sounds he opened the massive door just enough to slip in. Somehow he seemed caught off guard by the shieldmaiden leaning against a pillar, even if this was very much a public space. As he usually was way too late to things even if he left hours beforehand, he perhaps should have expected a lot more people. But it was only her, and though he had blatantly spoken to the dead sir a while before, he now seemed awfully shy and quiet having to address a living lady. Still he swallowed his silence, and walked over to her, making a finicky eye contact that drifted away to his own feet far too often.

"Good afternoon. I... my name is Liam." With a slight hesitation he smiled again, though his words didn't make an awful lot of sense. It was as if telling her his name was a hard thing to do for him, nearly a sign of oddly misplaced trust. However he never waited for a reply, instead darting off to a corner of the room, having seen something else far more interesting. Silently he sat down on the floor, and plucked the mechanical mouse out of his clothing, before setting it down on the floor in front of him. He watched it go around, a little smile on his face as he slipped into lost thoughts. Occasionally he seemed to touch something, scratching an invisible mouse behind the ears.

Last edited by a moderator:

Milana was sitting on a bench, picking at the napkin that held her wrapped orange. She spent four minutes peeling her orange until she felt something brush against her sandaled feet. Looking down, she spotted a mud stained paper that advertised an adventure, a mission that promised a reward. Contemplating the thought, she continued to read as it had said that those who are interested should gather at the Town Hall. Looking up, Milana saw a woman clad in weaponry enter the town hall. Where she was sitting, under the shade with her multi-colored sea green hair, sun-kissed pink bangs, her bold antlers were hidden in its shade. To most, she was just a young lady with a bold style of fashion, for many were pretty refined in their style of clothing. Milana decided to wait until she was done eating her citrus fruit before entering. Upon doing so, she spent ten minutes of her leisure time watching as a young man had also entered the Town Hall at his own risk. The way he had done so was strange, it was as if he was going to do something. . . wrong.

Murder? Is there more to this mission than what is being advertised? Probably not, but Milana's own curiosity drew her in, so she finished her orange, slipped her thin cloak on, brought the hood atop her antlers, and looked around before she snuck over with her brown leather sack bouncing against her thigh. Her royal blue eyes looked around, not too many people were around the Town Hall as of yet, so it was alright, right? Pushing open the door, Milana cupped the silver chain around her neck, hands clasping over the design of a sea horse as she pulled the heavy door open quietly and stepped inside.

Her shoulders broadened, her head was held high, and her person had changed. She removed her cloak, revealing her antlers that added three inches to her height. She dared someone to say something regarding her height as she approached the two - the male and the female - in the middle of them introducing one another. Rather than speak to them, she took a nearby seat, and awaited for the introductions to properly begin.​

The sun light felt oppressive, like a constant weight being pushed down on Cade's shoulders. But, then again, the sunlight always felt like that on days like today. His right arm throbbed under it's wraps, drawing a quiet sigh from Cade as he neared the village. From the sight of the people hustling about in their daily activities Cade at first wondered if this was the right spot. It didn't seem like it, but when he saw the fliers out calling for adventurers he knew it was right. It's not here. Good. Cade looked around, searching for the town hall, though after only a moment he spotted it. Honestly...how could someone miss it? As he continued on his way he felt the weary eyes of the local populace on him. They were no doubt wondering what a mysterious man wearing an exotic sword, pistol, and covered with a mask would be doing in their village.

Killing monsters, he thought to himself as he pushed open the doors and stepped into the hall.

Three others had made their way in before him: a raven haired woman in fighters armor, a young boy who should probably have been in school, and a fae, so rarely seen, yet, clearly in front of him. And now he added himself among the ranks of this menagerie troupe of adventurers. His eyes darted around the room before he selected a spot, slightly out of the way, to sit in. He lowered his pack beside the stool and removed his lute before sitting down to tune it up. After a couple of minutes of tuning and tweaking Cade smiled beneath his mask and strummed his instrument before slowly starting into a quiet song. Playing music always seemed to relax him, and it was one of the few times he could get relief during these days where the sun pushed him into the ground as his arm throbbed and ached.

Emmalia nodded to the boy when he came in. She would have replied if he hadn't immediately walked off into the corner. With a practiced eye, she watched how he walked and smiled to himself as his hands seemed to play at something. Either a spirit mage, or insane. Fifty-fifty shot, there. No real weaponry, so I'd assume he is a mage... or really is insane. Now, the girl who came in next caught her eye. Antlers, eye color, hair color - nymph/fae blood, no doubt. Which meant magic capabilities for certain. The next one to come in, she kept a wary eye on - he seemed much more dangerous than the others. She couldn't even tell where he came from - his skin didn't seem tan enough to be from the south, but Emmalia couldn't tell more than that. Weaponry made it seem unlikely that he had much offensive magic. She smiled to herself when he sat down and pulled out a lute. He didn't like to stand around, that was for sure. Times like these were when Emmalia was glad she'd spent the coin and time in the dark magics and supernatural classes, learning how to hunt - or help - beings. This included spotting spirit mages and telling different classes within mystic species from one another.

Emmalia caught herself playing with the two earrings on the top of her left ear, something she did when she was thinking or lost in analyzing something - or the occasional daydream. She brushed her hair forward to hide the earrings again and adjusted her bracers, another habit for when she was bored. At least the huntsman could play his lute well.

The strange, masked man entering the hall hadn't been noticed by Liam until he heard the sound of snares being strung. Then it suddenly sparked his interest, and with all things interesting he immediately had to satisfy a curiosity akin to a bottomless abyss. For no particular reason other than that he had to. So without much hesitation he went to pick up his mechanical mouse, except it didn't want to get picked up. Perhaps taking a bit more after his master than was healthy, the metal creature rapidly ran away to something it too had deemed more interesting.

Now this new event took a priority, though when Liam ran after his pet it seemed more like a silent game of chase. As if obsessed by it he had little regard for his surroundings, crossing over and under tables, yet remaining ever silent. His feet made little sound, not even enough to rise above the music. Yet he could hardly be missed as he ran from every which corner of the room.

When he finally came to a halt, it was after sliding across the floor catching his mouse with both hands. Just about in front of the stranger who had been playing the lute. Assessing his predicament, a pair of big mismatched blue and grey eyes stared from the mouse in his hands, up to the stranger, and back again. What could have been mistaken for fear or intimidation, instead turned into a bright smile as he got up. Proudly he held out his companion and showed it off to the stranger.

"Mouse." That was Mouse's name, because he was a mouse, even in death. And wouldn't it be cruel to name him something it wasn't? "I like your lute sir, and your hat."

Cade had closed his eyes as he played and almost seemed to slip into a trance. His playing seemed to improve, though that was quite the statement. Cade was a formidable musician to begin with, but even now it seemed his strumming appeared guided by etherial hands. His focus was solely on the music and the moment as he blocked out the world, including the somewhat distracting chase carrying on in front of him. Perhaps it was Liam's innocence that kept Cade unaware of him until he finally slid up within a few feet of him. The music stopped abruptly as Cade's eyes snapped open, his focus directing completely on Liam.

Cade looked down at Liam's hands and eyed the strange mouse-thing before returning his gaze to Liam. The air around the two of them seemed to grow still, as if some unearthly presence had suddenly made itself present around Cade, who narrowed his eyes and brow into a sharp glare as he assessed Liam. Why was a child here in this hall? His aura smelled of magic. Was he someone's apprentice, waiting to meet his master in the same exact place that adventurers were told to gather in? He seemed just a tad...ignorant? Innocent maybe? Was he slow? That would be dangerous for certain. But what Cade wanted to know most of all was why Liam was bothering him. Technically not bothering. He is just complementing your instrument...and attire. How quaint.

Cade sighed heavily. He normally would have been thrilled to have someone so young be clearly enthusiastic about his playing. But that was on normal days. Days like today were brutal, especially for someone usually as jovial as Cade was known to be. How do I respond without giving the kid license to pester me further? After a moment Cade's features softened and he started into a real of short, light hearted jigs, figuring that happy music was enough of a reply to keep the focus off of his silence for the time being.

Emmalia had watched with a slight, amused smile as Liam chased Mouse. Odd that he was so young, but she had been travelling at that age, hadn't she? He was just a bit more... innocent. Considerably more innocent, actually. She had been enjoying the music, but her eyes widened as Liam fell and she almost moved to help him, but the lad had a smile on his face, so she stayed put. The huntsman seemed a bit more... upset by the child's fall. Like he was assessing if the boy was a threat. There was a slight pressure in Emmalia's head. Not enough to be considered a headache in anyway, but enough to tip her off to a bit of information about the huntsman. Emmalia got ready to move to grab her sword if needed, but the huntsman soon sighed and he resumed playing. Was it a rough day, or was he always silent and brooding... almost sad-seeming? Like I'm one to talk.

Emmalia moved to ward the wall where the huntsman was, though she gave him distance, and sat on a table against the wall. Even if it was only a small raise, she had always liked being higher up, almost like a cat. She crossed her legs and pulled a sharpening stone out of her pack and pulled out her sword. Killing sirens was a fantastic way to wear down any blade. She didn't want to scare the nymph girl or Liam, but her blade did need sharpening, and eventually her lion gauntlet would too. She had few weapons, so took care of what she did have. Her movements were slow and measured, working the edge of silver blade to a lethal sharpness. Her lion gauntlet was silver coated too, mostly because it was a family heirloom, and she liked the shine. Whoever said lethality meant ugliness?

No reply. Just more music. Though Liam didn't particularly mind that, his head still tilted as it wasn't what he had expected. Quietly he dusted himself off, even if it didn't help much at all with his appearance. Being denied a chat, he knew when to be silent and take a leave. As he moved to turn back to his corner, Mouse slipped out of his hands and onto his shoulder. Still curiously staring at the source of the music.

"I know Mouse, but he doesn't like to be bothered..." While walking he whispered to his companion, trying not to disturb the man further while luring the mouse's attention back. "Some things like not to be bothered, remember I told you about conforming to people. I know you can't know it as a mouse, but you asked me about it so it's hardly an excuse..." These hushed talks went on for a while as he sat back in his corner, trying to install the concept of decency and social awareness into a mouse.

"No Mouse, I'm sure he's not being silent because he dislikes your gears. I know they're a bit rusty, but after this we'll try and,-" Mid sentence his head popped up startled from the sound of a blade being sharpened. While looking over his eyes fell on the girl with the antlers, and from the magnificently fascinated gaze one could think she had spontaneously materialised right there and then. So of course he had to check it out, and it was only polite to greet all people in the room.

"You have nice antlers, but Mouse thinks whiskers would suit you better. He thinks whiskers suit everyone better. I don't agree, you look fine with antlers."
Slowly he shook his head and moved on, having said what he wanted to say.

On the other side of the table he sat down on the bench, and then his head turned sideways, still smiling. "You shouldn't be here, you're fading. It's easier to let go madam... it'll happen anyway." Even if he knew she was dead and he shouldn't be talking to her, he felt it would be rude to treat her differently. So he just spoke to her with the same enthusiasm as he did with everyone else, even if the topic normally wasn't one anyone would discuss as breezily as he did. Only when the town council entered to discuss their task did he get silent again.

Milana was fiddling, and she rarely fiddled, but this strange atmosphere had encouraged her to do so and she wasn't quite sure how to respond in the most appropriate manner. She was merely looking around the town hall; taking note of the wooden planks as they supported the high ceiling, the small litter of tables inside. Benches, a petite stage, and the like of unnecessary items to take note of; until she caught the wry gaze of a cerulean and grey eyed young man. He had been talking to a creature in his hand, and she thought it often strange, for it was mechanical. Flinching somewhat, she looked away, for she never would have thought people would go so far as own man made animals. Looking back up, peeking from the distraction of her hands to the direction of the male, she froze. He was looking at her now, and she felt some what uncomfortable under his gaze. Striding over, he positioned himself on the other side of the table, the bench creaking under his weight as his pink lips parted to say, "You have nice antlers, but Mouse thinks whiskers would suit you better. He thinks whiskers suit everyone better. I don't agree, you look fine with antlers." A faint hint of pink coloring her cheeks, Milana dipped her head in order to spot the red thread with wooden beads attached as it dangled form her left antler, a small vine falling with it as she tucked them away from her face. Looking back at him, her bright blue eyes addressed his mismatched eyes with the words, "Thank you," balancing on her tongue, yet they never got a chance to fully exit her lips, for he had said something that caused her chest to contort. His head turning to the opposite direction as her voice hung in a slim thread.

"You shouldn't be here, you're fading. It's easier to let go madam. . . it'll happen anyway."

Fading, she thought. Let go of what?

She hadn't heard anything, or sensed anything. Her head cocked sideways as she examined this young man and the mechanical mouse that was preoccupied in the position of a pet of sorts. What kind of group has huddled into this, somewhat, desecrate building?​

The town council took their place at the end of the hall, on a table at a bit of a raise, clearly indicating it was for important people. They gestured for them all to get closer, so they could explain what it was they had to kill. They seemed somewhat surprised by both Liam and Milana though.

"Is this everyone? Alright then..." The man speaking tried to hide his slight disappointment, but he didn't do a very good job at it. "Ahem, we gathered you brave souls here today for a pressing task that has to be dealt with. A demon wolf has been coming down from the mountain and eating out livestock for a few months now. Lately it has become more bold and instead entered houses, eating the people inside. The guards we send in its lair never returned. We tried to gather as much information as we could, but the area is dangerous." A second man took out a small stack of papers and maps, spreading them out over the table. Most of them were merely vague drawings, or indications of a large area. Nothing concrete enough, but that was perhaps why it was such a well paying job.

Liam was the first to look at the papers, definitely fascinated, and none of the men at the table seemed to like that much. Though the boy once more didn't care about the surroundings, instead focussing on the task he had been given. Taking out a pencil, he wrote some of his own deductions on the back of a drawing.

"What do you think Mouse? It can't be a hellhound... it looks too slender for that. Something shapeshifty perhaps? I don't think it's possessed, then it would look more wolfy. Oh no wait, it's an Asmodian Scarer." He underlined the name of the creature and nodded. But then a second thought crept in his head, and he wrote a name beside the first. "Or a feral Spirit Howler."

Having done that, he started making a second list on a different piece of paper. This time however it contained all sorts of magical terms, both regarding reagents he needed and on warding and offensive magic circles. Occasionally he drew a small symbol or sigil, patterns even, so he wouldn't forget later.

It took a decent while, and though talking to himself, he did remain fairly quiet and reserved.

Cade looked over the rough drawings of the beast carefully. It didn't take much for him to recognize what they were up against. So it is here after all. This wasn't good, especially since they said it was going into homes and attacking people. This is classic, but I didn't expect it to be happening so quickly. Cade's eyes wandered over to Liam as he scribbled in his notebook. The hunter shook his head quietly. The boy has no idea what he is up against. None of them do. He felt a tingle running up his right arm and clenched it into a fist. There should have been measures laid out to protect this village before now, but, Cade hadn't seen any sign of the Order for miles now. They will be here soon no doubt, but they should have been here before it got to this point.

"If it's in the area I can find it." This was the first time Cade had spoken since entering the village. His voice was calm and confident, though a slight tinge of malice might have steeped through. Cade's hand lay on his sword, his thumb gently rubbing over the ray skin hilt. He kept the single bladed edge facing up, a hidden message to anyone in the know. He had to admit that he found these people curious though. His pistol was holstered to his right hip, and despite being in the old world he hadn't been bothered by anyone about it. Perhaps his appearance gave the likeness of someone who shouldn't be messed with?

Emmalia walked over to the table and looked at the picture. Well, the kid knew some stuff. "Feral Spirit Howler afflicted by a clinging curse. Poor beast ate something it shouldn't have, got driven mad. Once dark magic like that sets in, the beast is doomed." Emmalia could recognize a good number of the symbols he drew. The kid was definitely a mage, possibly insane still. "At this point, it's glutted on human blood, it can't even be called a Spirit Howler anymore. More of a demonic beast." Her voice was perfectly level, but not monotonous. She got her point across. Emmalia leaned back a bit and looked to Cade. Well, she wasn't the only one who could track. But the way he spoke, it made her think he didn't mean traditional tracking. Good. That wasn't how she went about it either.

Emmalia looked up to the town council. "
Why was nobody informed before this? Each creature it feasted on that was outside of its natural diet only adds to the darkness and the power around it. You're all fucking daft not to have called anyone." Emmalia crossed her arms around her chest, making it clear she wasn't looking or any response. She had said her piece.

Milana's eyes widened at the site of the beast, and her fingers practically hummed to just touch the creature. She restrained her excitement by picking the paper up and closely examining every little detail that constructed its very existence. With her brows furrowed, something clicked in her mind. "I am surprised that you are able to collect an image of this creature, when you yourselves could not have possibly lived to reiterate its very existence." With a frown, and a small shrug, Milana tucked the piece of paper into her leather sack before standing. "Well, I would rather not waste any time. When was the last time you've seen this creature?" Tucking a blue strand of hair behind her rounded, pointed ears, Milana readjusted her cloak and examined her shoes - just to check to see if they were appropriate for the journey. They would last, surely, since she often endures her travels by foot with these favorable boots. Looking up expectantly, Milana raised a brow as the bewildered Council men regained their slight flustered behavior seeing as Milana had called them out. The girl hadn't minded though, for the reward and the beast will be a plentiful response for her and her conscious. A hobby of hers, as of recent, to mindlessly travel to and from, and she had only just left her home a month prior to this very day.

That, and Milana meant business. She was an impatient young lady when it came down to assignments such as these. Thus, it meant that she had no intention to speak anymore after her question had been answered.​

Liam looked over at Emmalia when she had been speaking about the Howler, and quickly noted her observations next to his deductions. Everyone seemed so impatient, eager to kill. It made him wonder why they would be, but he truly couldn't find that much of a reason. Concepts like evil and danger were skewed in his head, and though he knew the creature had to die because it led to more happiness, he never considered it was because it was evil. It was just a creature, like Mouse was and like he was, so he didn't feel any bloodlust or hatred for it at all.

Meanwhile the councilman had found back his to tongue, though he looked a fair bit less confident in it.

"We thought we could contain the beast, as long as it were just sheep. It was last seen two nights ago, having eaten a child."

Liam wasn't too interested in that explanation, instead he just listened while he pocketed the drawing, and took a good look at the map of the area, before deciding to take that with him too. After the councilman finished speaking, he looked at him and his colleagues, then smiled trying to ease their shame.

"It's alright, everyone makes mistakes. But you shouldn't be ashamed to ask for help, especially not if it makes you happier. So I'll help you." Still smiling he nodded to himself, and then looked over at the people besides him, of whom he still didn't know who they were. Not that it bothered him, he'd just do what would make them happiest too.

Turning around, he had already found a new distraction in having to prepare for this task. Yet there was one more thing he had to do, before he left. Quietly he set his pack down on a table, and rummaged through it, before finding what he needed. A stack of paper charms he had always at the ready. In the centre an intricate circle was drawn, clearly of the same origin his earlier notes had been.

Silently he moved to the corner he had been sitting in earlier, and put the piece of paper down. Without hesitation he placed his fingers in the circle, and for a split second his blue eye burned with a gentle white fire, tapering cobalt. The piece of paper instantly disintegrated into white embers, like bright snow, except they darted in all directions. The moment they touched their target, the figure of a mouse or rat burned brightly blue. They ran all across the floor, but the fire died out before they could reach any decent distance.

"I hope you feel better now madam, but there is no reason to stay. You can't stay scared forever." As he spoke he put the stack of papers back in his pack, and occupied as he was by the task he would never even notice the reaction of the council or the other adventurers to his blue burning spirit rodents. Instead he just opened the wooden door, equally careful as he had done when entering, except now he left it open so the others could leave after him.

Cade glared at the councilman, his demeanor turning dark at the mention of the child's death. "Containing it can only be done once it is dead, which won't be a problem." He looked over at Emmalia, eyeing her carefully as if he were assessing her capabilities. Out of all of the others she seemed like the only one who would be useful in a fight, not to mention that she knew about some of the less savory things in the world. As the group turned to leave Cade walked over beside Emmalia and matched her pace. "I think clinging curse is only half the story. Have you heard of blood worms?"

"Thoughts don't do a damn thing, actions do. If you don't pay well enough for this job, I may have to act on my thoughts. Want to see how that turns out for you...?" Her threat delivered, Emmalia started to walk out. When he spoke to her, she looked at Cade for a few seconds. Well, he didn't seem shy at least. She sighed and said, "Yes, but I can't tell for certain if it's blood worms and... I don't want to scare the other two with something it... could be. That won't help any during the travel, and, well, there's not much of a way to prepare for such an occasion." It did seem like they would all be travelling together. Emmalia worried that they wouldn't be able to keep the boy in line, or that the girl would get stupid ideas like trying to prove something. But Cade seemed to know what he was doing. Emmalia held out a gloved hand to him. "I'm Emmalia."

Cade quickly glanced at Emmalia's hand and was thankful that she was wearing gloves. He took the offered hand and gave a proper handshake. "Cade." She had a point about the other two. Blood worms weren't a typical plague found everyday, definitely not table top conversation either. "I've seen a few too many blood worm infections in my time. I was at Walden, even was a part of the team that rigged the fire bomb in the sewers." Walden had been an outbreak and would have been the source of a pandemic if the Order hadn't burned the city to the ground. The true reason behind the city being burned was covered up by some kind of bull shit to keep word of the infection from spreading.

Emmalia looked at him with a new perspective in mind. "Order?" She didn't need to say anything else, the one word was enough to get the meaning across. So, he was part of the Order. Not the best news in the world. Was he a member, an ex-member, or just someone who helped them on occasion? If he was an important member, that could spell trouble for her. She had no issues with the Order, but they had issue with her. Well, some of them did. In the end, they'd all most likely forgotten about her. There was no way that Cade knew anything about her, though. It wasn't like she was a big deal.

Cade shook his head. "No. I've done some work with them before, but I was in Walden for other reasons when the outbreak happened." The Order wasn't exactly a group Cade wanted to mingle with a lot, not after the incident. I was damn lucky to get out of Walden alive. If those two hadn't dropped their guard after the bomb was in place I'd be dead by now. "I try to keep my distance from them, but I'll send an anonymous pigeon letting them know about occurrences if they haven't been alerted already."

Milana bit on her lip before making the decision to roll up the flyer, the map, stuff them in her sack, and leave. She was so preoccupied in whether or not this was the best course of decision that she had left after everyone else had. Finally making it outside, she concluded it was the best decision. Children were being eaten, lives were being torn apart - quite literally - and neither of them were okay what-so ever. Walking away from this would make her a legitimately cruel person. Making it outside the large oak doors, which were left open thanks to the boy, Milana decided her uncanny, stubby, peculiar antlers shall be allowed the graciousness to breath as she lifted her arms and stretched them, standing on her toes as her eyes closed. Her nose caressing her wrists as she inhaled sweet vanilla before exhaling quietly and regaining her composure.

Unfortunately, the initial question was, could either of them do this a lone? Quite possibly, however, Milana had felt otherwise.​

Liam had made his leave to obtain items he ought necessary, in fact, more necessary than a decent place to sleep. Every time he got paid for adventuring or solving problems with ghosts, all of it had gone to ink, paper, reagents and mechanical or crystal parts for Mouse and friends. Rarely did he spend it on himself, and rarely did he have the money to sleep under a roof. Which was why he now sat stowed away in a decrepit, abandoned shed on the edge of a farm just out of town. It seemed like everyone had forgotten there was still something there amongst the weeds and trees, and it was only befitting that he had hidden in forgetfulness.

He himself, he didn't seem to mind the fact that he was homeless and hungry all that much, instead being captivated in picking the items carefully strewn around him. It would have been possible to just take all of it with him, but he had learnt in his travels to be more careful than that. And insane and kind-spirited as he was, he wasn't anywhere close to stupid enough to take everything with him everywhere all the time. Throughout the old world he had hidden several caches, containing even more reagents and papers. So now he had to decide what he would hide away in this shed, and what to take with him.

"You think we should take the Barrier Charms? I know we will need the Bugsies, but do we need all of them?" Carefully he lifted up a small brown bag, and took out half a hand of bugs, made from metal, a tiny white crystal and a glass container of milky white ink. When he touched them the crystal turned blue, just like Mouse's crystal, and they came to life. Quickly they crawled up his hand into the darkness of his clothes, hiding away until they were needed. "That should be enough of them I think. Anything else?"

This went on for a while, until he had stacked his pack with everything he needed, and probably a little bit more to be sure. After which he carefully hid the remaining items in places none in their right mind would ever look; inside the handles of rusted tools, in holes of the green and slimy roof and in a bag which he buried under a loose floorboard. Unless someone decided to demolish the whole thing, they'd never find the items just by looking around. Now, the last task given, was one actually given by Mouse; to stock up on food for the journey. Mouse being a mouse, had had a better sense of scavenging and the importance of food, something Liam always seemed to be unable to remember unless either his stomach or the rest of his body screamed at him.

That didn't mean however, that it was particularly good food, and on his budget he'd never be able to afford anything good anyway. Armed with a few bronze coins and his best begging puppy eyes he went to the small town market. Meat was out of the question, but if he had learnt anything, he wouldn't try and live off of potatoes for a month again. That had been such a bad idea he admitted himself that it was one. So now he left the market with some more variety; still all vegetables and potatoes of the worst quality possible, but carrots, tomatoes, cucumbers and several other different vegetables would do a better job at sustaining him. Oh, and an apple a nice old lady had bought him would be his dinner for that day. Not all people seemed to appreciate him though, no matter if he was kind and actually paid for items. Talking to Mouse and other dead things wasn't helping him either, so he quickly bought his items and left before any shopkeepers and market men could chase him out.

Having finished all preparations, Liam decided that perhaps it would be time to actually join the people he was supposed to travel with. It would be easy to find them though, sending out his bugs to look around. Once they had found their respective targets, they wrote a clear and direct message in sight:

Meet me at the hanging tree

Emmalia went back to the inn and sorted through the few items she had left behind. Surely she could be back to collect what she didn't need, but now she had to watch out for her teammates and not just herself. Even then, though, her pack was light. Bread and hard travel rations, medical supplies, her weaponry, a few minor potions just in case something really bad happened, that was all that she needed to pack. She bought some better foods for travel, again for her partners - food didn't really appeal to her anymore, so she could have bland foods for herself. The merchants were more than happy to sell to her; she paid well and didn't chat. Thing was, she could afford to pay well. Money was no true object to her, and she had plenty enough of it.

Naturally she was quite surprised when a tiny mechanical bug gave her a message, but ti wasn't like it was the first time that she'd received a vague message. Once she was done gathering what was needed, she went to the tree to find Liam waiting. She gave him a polite nod and leaned against the tree. So what if people had been hung there? They were dead, she didn't mind, they probably wouldn't.

Cade had wandered off to some dark alley somewhere to gather his thoughts and check over his equipment. He carried a few supplies in his pack, mostly water and regular camping gear as well very little food, but he also had a couple of bags filled with odd items: containers filled with strange herbs or dried ingredients, mortar and pestle, as well as other items of the alchemical practice. Right now, though, he took only a couple of bottles filled with premade concoctions before his tranquility was interrupted by a strange mechanical bug. It had to be something of Liam's ilk. Cade narrowed his eyes at the thing, and once it had delivered it's message he swiftly crushed it and wiped away the note it had left in the dirt before picking up his pack and heading off towards the tree in question

It didn't take long to find it either. Usually hanging trees were obvious trees of some sturdy make that provided the townsfolk with some place to rid themselves of whomever they desired. Seeing Emmalia and Liam already present at the tree was at least some comfort. It meant he didn't have to wait for very long before heading out. As he stopped under the tree he could feel the air around him grow thick and chilled. It wasn't uncommon for hanging trees to harbor emotional energy, and this one was no different. Anyone sensitive to the darker things in the world would notice it. Cade's right arm began to ache, to which he simply massage it gently as he looked around at the others. He was thankful for once that he wore long sleeved clothing and gloves. He didn't want anyone, especially Liam, asking too many questions. It was just better off that they didn't get close to him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back