• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Telmeere

dawnfire321

Novice Novelist
dawnfire321 submitted a new resource:

Telmeere - A roleplay that centers around a tavern in the poorest part of a large city, and people who go there

Telmeere is a land of enchantment. With magic, kings and queens, knights and princesses, romance and betrayal and redemption. That is, if you are among the titled gentry. For the common folk all Telmeere is, is a name on a map no one can read. The Lowtown district in Valmoor Port is a cesspool filled with ordinary folk just working to put food on the table; from merchants, bakers, tradesman and fisherman to barmaids, thieves, street performers and whores.This role play centers around...
Read more about this resource...

Telmeere is a land of enchantment. With magic, kings and queens, knights and princesses, romance and betrayal and redemption. That is, if you are among the titled gentry. For the common folk all Telmeere is, is a name on a map no one can read. The Lowtown district in Valmoor Port is a cesspool filled with ordinary folk just working to put food on the table; from merchants, bakers, tradesman and fisherman to barmaids, thieves, street performers and whores.This role play centers around the local tavern meets inn meets whorehouse 'The Prince and the Pickpocket.' Or just 'The Prince' for short.

Telmeere

A land of enchantment

Basic politics: Telmeere is ruled by a monarchy and a counsel of nobles. The current king is King Quarhin, he is an aging widower with only one son. Relations between Telmeere and it's bordering kingdom of Lasca are tense.

Major Cities: The capitol is Osian. Other major cities include Eirstin, a city in the eastern desert that is a major trade center, Harrowford, a city built beside the only bridge that crosses the Glass River and Innisfall, the religious capitol. Not to mention Valmoor Port, the largest coastal city in Telmeere.

Magic: Magic isn't considered a particularly useful skill, it's considered more of a parlor trick. People are born with the ability, but most people can only do simple spells like levitating small objects, starting small fires, creating colorful lights and sparks, the occasional healing spell, that sort of thing. Anything more tires magicians out. Stronger magicians, capable of anything more are taken to Innisfall by the time they are eight, before their powers mature, so no one really knows if it can be anymore powerful than that.

Mythology: The people worship seven gods. They go nameless, and are only referred to by their titles. The Creator, who is most often depicted as a woman although it varies. The Creator rules over everything, and is believed to be the source of everything and all things good. Then there is Death. Death is considered a force of pure neutrality, an apathetic god. The Workman, rules over the people's every day lives, but is particularly worshiped by tradesmen. The Mother, who is considered a usually gentle goddess with an unusual vengeful streak. The Warrior, who is not usually prayed to by any besides soldiers. The Trickster, who is god of thieves, con-men, travelers and merchants. And the Magician. The magician is god of magic; in some places it is believed that the Magician is just the Trickster is disguise.

Valmoor Port: Valmoor Port is the largest coastal city in Telmeere. It is set on the Glass River where it drains into the Azure Ocean. It is governed by Lord Lynchwood, a slovenly, unconcerned sort of man. The laws are enforced by the City Guard, a quasi police force employed by the governor. The city is separated into four districts. Uptown, where the nobility have city homes and the rich and influential stay. Midtown, where merchants and middle class live. Lowtown, is where most of the city's population lives. It's filled with people from all walks of live, from the hard working fisherman, to the struggling woodcarver, to the scum of the street. And the Docks, filled with ships and warehouses.

Weather/Season: Early winter filled with freezing winds and the occasional light snow.

Currency:
Gold Crowns, Silver Sovereigns, Silver Nobles, Bronze Bits. Five Sovereigns to a Crown, Eight Nobles to a Sovereign, 25 Bits to a Noble.

City Guard: The city guard is employed by the governor to enforce the law. They are run by Sir Freemont, a cruel, strict man. They are a rather corrupt organization, and don't much care about enforcing the law for the smallfolk, only those with money. Each district had a precinct, run by a knight. The main precinct is in Midtown. The guards patrol in pairs, breaking up fights and arresting petty offenders mostly. Senior guards investigate murders, although there are few.

I just finished hand writing a map of the city, I will upload it as soon as possible.

Could everyone who owns a business post a paragraph description of their business in the ooc thread? Thank you.

Places in Lowtown

The Prince and the Pickpocket- One of the social hubs of Lowtown, The Prince is the most popular tavern in the city. It doubles as an inn, brothel, and gambling den. The common room is large, with a bar, tables and five large hearths, as well a dozens of benches and chairs. Behind the bar are steps leading down to the cellar, where the food and drink is stored; as well as where the whores' children sleep while their mothers are working. The rooms on the first floor are where the prostitutes entertain their gentleman friends. Upstairs are rooms for guests. The Prince serves a heart stew and rolls every evening for dinner, and oatmeal in the mornings for just three bits a bowl. Hiring: barmaids, chambermaids, stableboys, muscle and whores, both male and female.

Thief King's Court- A large warehouse, restyled, in The Docks. It serves as home base for criminals, storage for ill gotten goods, sleeping arrangements for those who don't have anywhere else. Hiring muscle, thieves, pickpockets, goons, whores and criminals of all sorts.

Day Market- The day market is a sprawling bazaar of stalls, stands, vendors, merchants, and merchandise of all types. It operates 24/7, although most stands are only open a few hours a day. Wanted- Merchants, Businesspeople, Vendors.

The Saw and Chisel - A small carpenter shop near the day market. Some small items are on display inside, but larger items must be ordered in advance. The Saw specializes in furniture, but many intricate carvings can also be found inside. The shop has every carpentry tool imaginable hanging on the walls and placed on shelves since it doubles as a workshop. The owner lives in the floor above.

The King's Scabbard - A leather worker shop that specializes in leather armour, including breastplates, greaves, arm bracers, and many others. They also sell leather accessories such as purses. It's located only a few streets away from the day market. The owner lives above the shop.

Rules

1. All forum rules apply.
  2. Correct grammar, punctuation and spelling is expected.
  3. Absolutely no godmodding
  4. What does the fox say. (Answer the preceding question to let me know you read the rules)
  5. Be polite to everyone
  6. Let us know if you are going to be gone for more than 24 hours
  7. I must approve all new characters before they join in on the rolelay
  8. If there is less than 15 pages of new roleplay since you were last online, please read them. More than that, you can ask someone what happened.

Any questions about the rules, PM me. I may add new ones if and when they are needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
dawnfire321 updated Telmeere with a new update entry:

Ready, Set...

Ok, we've got five rpers now, so I'll start the role play as soon as I'm home.
Read the rest of this update entry... 
The sun was beginning to set over Telmeere. Shops were closing, mothers were bringing their children in from the streets. Guardsmen increase their sweeps, thieves take to to the streets. Dara Cornwall, owner of the best brothel and gambling den in the lower city The Prince and the Pickpocket was preparing to open."Get those fires lit! This place is freezing. Wipe down the tables! Is the stew hot and ready? Amber, more powder. hide those pockmarks." Dara walked through her tavern briskly, barking orders. She threw open the doors to let people in.

Threena finished lining her eyes with khol, smearing a bit of red stain onto her lips. She looked into the mirror and frowned at her reflection. She looked pretty enough, she always did. She hadn't imagined her life to be like this, for her to end up here, working off a debt in a brothel. Still, it was too fine a night for such thoughts. She went out into the common room and got ready for the first customers. It was time for work.

Adestan finished his performance with a bit of fire magic, bowing to his still enraptured audience. He picked up the bowl of coins, and ducked into an alleyway. He whistled softly, and a half dozen filthy, half starved children came swarming out around his legs. He put his hand out and they each tossed a coinpurse or two into his hand. "Good work tonight. No one got caught." He tucked five bits into each child's hand. As soon as they were paid, they scattered off to find a warm place to sleep for the night. Adestan started back to The Prince, for a drink, a bit of companionship and his bed.

It was time...

This was probably the hundredth time that Tatiana told herself this as she left her classroom. It was finally the end of the day for her, all of her classes have been done, all of grading done as well. And now, she found herself walking out and towards the only pub and brothel she knew of. She had never drunken alcohol before, even when her husband did she did not. Even now the smell as it grew closer made her wrinkle her nose up. But...but she just had to. It had been years since she had smiled, and her courage and self will was growing thin and she wanted and outlet, a way to build that wall back up. She wanted....rebellion.

What else could the little school teacher do? She had no children, no family left at home for her what did she have to lose? Her body was still young, coud still attract suitors if she wished, but she hid it beneath dresses much too large. She hid alluring red curls in a bun and favored teaching children than ever having any and this was no life for a woman her age, not anymore.

Even though she still swore she would never remarry, she wanted to have fun, even for one night. So, sucking it up, Tatiana walked into the pub and brothel, only hoping to have a few drinks and innocent fun, and perhaos for one night, smile.

dawnfire321 updated Telmeere with a new update entry:

GO!

The rp has started. Jump in!! I've added a bit of info about the City Guard, the currency, and the Thief King's Court to the overview. I'd also like to ask that all business owners post a paragraph describing their business to the ooc thread so I can add it to the map.
Read the rest of this update entry... 
Dara saw the young woman standing by the door, seeming uncertain. She walked around the counter, and approached her. "Come in, love. What'll you be drinking?" Dara led the woman over to a table by the fire. The woman was pretty, red hair much darker than Dara's own and green eyes. She'd be prettier if she smiled, in Dara's opinion.

"Well I..." Tatiana had been thrown off when Dara called her in, though she gladly stepped in and stood by the fire to warm herself up. It had been chilly outside while she had been debating coming in, and it took her a moment before she slipped her cloak off and draped it over a chair, "I am not sure." She answered honestly the petite woman glancing up at her sheepishly. This was the embarrassing portion of the evening so far.

"I have never drunken alcohol before you see, and so I stopped by hoping to have a small nip of something, to ease some pain tonight if that makes any sense." She explained the best she could. In the classroom she was a skilled speaker, but put the poor lass in front of grown adults and she was a nervous wreck.

This woman seemed very sweet and innocent to Dara. What's she doin' in a place like this? Dara wondered. Dara had a hard time trusting people who didn't vice. Drinking, whoring, gambling, smoking, drugs. She didn't care. But the pure ones were unnatural. If Dara were a better person she'd probably tell the girl to get out, that alcohol won't solve any problems only create more. Instead she said "How bout some hot, spiced wine?"

"Hot spiced wine, it sounds good." She answered. She could tell that Dara was confused as to why she was there, being the sweet looking woman she was, but that was in fact why she was there. She was going to have a taste if rebellion, and if that meant drinking alcohol and stumbling home late at night then so be it. Though she was quite sure that she could control herself, she was smart of course and could easily tell when she was getting close to having too.much to drink. Right?

Dara fetched a mug of the wine, then turned to tend to other customers.

Adestan welcomed the warm air of The Prince's common room with a grateful sigh. It was freezing outside. Soon he'd have to stop his little shows for the season. Once winter set in, he wouldn't be able to preform outside. He flagged down one of the barmaids and got flagon of ale. He saw Tatiana sitting alone, and went over to sit down at the same table. "Drinking alone is never fun. I'm Adestan."

She hadn't even taken a drink of the intimidating liquid when the man had approached her. This was unexpected, but even then she would not be rude to him. Setting the mug down, she nodded her head at him, "I am Tatiana, and I am afraid I wouldn't know. I always thought one did drink alone in a pub." She responded, and even tried a small smile. She didn't show any teeth, but her pale lips did turn up into a small polite smile.

Adestan sat down and took a long drink. When he had set his flagon down he said "Nah. I prefer to drink with friends." He laughed. "You've never had a drink out before? With friends? Or your husband?"

She shook her head, one curl of red hair escapong the tight bun she had on her head , "I really have no friends, not when I work so much, and my husband passed away years ago, and he was never one to go out and drink, or even drink at home." The mere mention of her husband made her pause and stiffen but slowly she began to relax again, "This is my first time out."

"Then we'll have to make it a good one. Cheers." Adestan lifted his mug. Seeing the way she stiffened and closed off, Adestan determined not to mention Tatiana's husband again. "What d'you do for a livin'?"

"Cheers." That small barely there smile returned and she gently clinked her glass against his, and took a little sip. Though the moment the amber liquid touched her tongue, her nose wrinkled up and she forced hersekf to swallow it. It was such a strong taste and she knew she would have to be careful with this drink. "I am a schoolteacher." Tatiana answered when she managed to take another sip without wrinkling up her nose. "I teach history down at the orphanage school."

Adestan whistled. "A teacher. You must be smart. I don't take much stock in book learnin'. My parents couldn't afford school, and I get by without it." Adestan didn't know many people who could afford to go to school, and he knew fewer still that had actually gone. He supposed it was good that the orphans were being taught to read and write. Better themselves. Still, he hoped not too many would. He needed his gang to stay on the streets.

"I do, and I would like to think I am at least a little smart. Smart enough to teach that is." This man was a true curiosity and she had to admit it that he was intimidating her a bit. He looked a little rough, she thought she recognized him as a magician or some sort of entertainer but she did not really know. She hadn't wanted to be rude to him of course, and she did like that he had offered to drink with her. It was...nice in a way but still odd. "You'll have to forgive me sir, socializing is not one of my stronger suits...I am hardly ever outside if a classroom and this drink..well it is giving me a rather funny feeling now."

"That'll be the alcohol. You probably want to ease up a bit. You don't know your limits." Adestan warned her. He was curious about this little schoolteacher. And a little concerned. No one broke a lifetime of sobriety on a whim. She seemed a little naive, like she didn't know the dangers the world held for intoxicated woman after dark.

Ilanea had finished applying black around her eyes. She didn't wear anything to make her lips look red because she'd been advised by a customer last night that if he was found with red on his face his wife would know what he was up to. She noticed Threena apply rouge to her lips. "Oh my dear," she started in her Lasca accent "you might want to wipe the rouge off your lips, Ive been told its a giveaway to wives." She offered. Ilanea honestly was trying to help Threena, as she did for all the other girls like her. Ilanea put on her translucent slip, which was extremely provocative, but perfered. She walked out onto the main floor and chose a spot in near the door to stand. She noticed Adestan in the tavern, but she wouldn't aproach him. She perfered to speak to him when she was not working. Not that she had a problem with her job or was ashamed of her job, she just perfered to not have to fake anything with the people who mattered.

Threnna rolled her eyes at Ilanea, then smiled at her good naturedly. She followed her into the common room and said to her, laying on her fake accent heavily, "I thought that staying out until dawn would have been the first sign." She giggled, before heading deeper into the tavern. She found a man playing poker, and sat in his lap purring, "Let me blow on your cards. For luck."

Ilanea laughed at Threnna as she walked off. Ilanea wished Coravan was there. Dancing to his music really brought in customers, plus she loved his music. As of now, she was waiting for one of her regulars to walk in. Sir Eathan Felborne, who was previously Anastasia's client. Even though she really cared about the girls, she wasn't afraid of taking a client from them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Threnna whispered in the man's ear, giggling at his responses, blowing on his cards before he placed his bets. She was sure she had him hooked when he nudged her off, stood and kissed her cheek goodnight. He left quickly. Threnna huffed in irritation. She needed to make at least two silver nobles a night is she was to work off her debt before she turned twenty. At least, that is was Dara told her. Most nights she perhaps made one. She walked over to Ilanea and asked, "Do you have any clients tonight?" 
((I'm off to bed. Goodnight!)

((Goodnight))

"Uhh.. yes. I do. A knight, in fact. So he pays me well." Ilanea said to Threnna. She was pretty sure that Anastasia had forgotten what he looked like as he'd come in many times and she didn't say anything. It would be quite awkward for both of them if Ilanea told her that the father of her twins was now Ilanea's client.

(Im sorry, i got something mixed up, and im going to edit my last post.)

Cate was walking through the market of uptown, scouting for the subject who would pay for her next meal. She didn't like to think of herself at a thief, instead choosing to go with the opinion that she did only what she had to do to survive. She'd considered joining work at the brothel, like many other girls like her did, but she couldn't bring herself to do it. No doubt having drilled into her that purity is precious throughout her life had it's lasting effects. Moving through the crowds, she used the busy surroundings to slip an apple from a stall and some kind of pastry good from another before moving into an alley to take a longer look at what was around today. Sliding the apple into the small bag she carried, she began to eat the pastry as she scanned the remaining stalls. There was a small jewellery stand that had delicate rings and necklaces that she'd considered hitting before but she'd never had the confidence. If she could sell it, it would feed her for a week or two no problem. Stepping forward, she lost her courage and instead took a loaf of bread from the bakery stall before turning to make her way back to Lowtown.

---

Randel was already up and ready, baking the last batch of bread to sell while his children played in the corner behind the counter. He desperately needed someone to care for his children. He had enough money to pay for a full time nanny, but he was very particular. He wanted someone who needed the job rather than wanted it, someone who didn't drink regularly or have another job to get to at the brothel.

"A knight. You are lucky. I haven't had any scheduled clients in weeks." Threnna sighed. "I used to have a lord come and see me on Tuesdays, but I think his wife caught on." When she first started working for Dara, she'd been very popular, with her dark skin and foreign accent. It seemed her popularity was dropping quickly, through.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back