Other Tea is OBJECTIVELY better than coffee: Change My Mind.

Larry

Your resident on-and-off bibliomaniac!
Also if you happen to be such a philistine and believe coffee is better than tea WHILST being Irish...that amounts to treason in my eyes.

Also if you happen to be such a philistine and believe coffee is better than tea WHILST being Irish...that amounts to treason in my eyes.

I would have tried to change your mind if not for the fact that I only seem to have tea at my disposal at any given moment.

Better is a term that implies improvement. To imply one thing is better than the other objectively, the measure of quality overall must be superior or the measure of each individual part must be as good or better. Coffee is good for a few reasons:
>Helpig a person stay awake
>Flavor
>What accompanies it
>Style

Now to my tastebuds both are pretty neutral, but I tend to prefer chocolate that accompanies coffee over the kind of treats that go with tea. Coffee beats tea in he staying up department as well, and I would say it beats it in the style one, as it's mostly just characters that want to be Uber-British or old ladies that tend to drink tea in pop culture, whereas the assumption coffee drinking somehow makes you cooler has developed so much that asking for black coffee to try to seem cooler has become a running gag in pop culture.
Tea is healthier for you though, which isn't in the list because coffee does not have such an advantage to begin with.

So all in all, to me personally coffee beats tea.

I'll challenge your assertions when I get back home since the bus is tad bit too rickety-rockety for me at the moment!

Better is a term that implies improvement. To imply one thing is better than the other objectively, the measure of quality overall must be superior or the measure of each individual part must be as good or better. Coffee is good for a few reasons:
>Helping a person stay awake
>Flavor
>What accompanies it
>Style

Now to my tastebuds both are pretty neutral, but I tend to prefer chocolate that accompanies coffee over the kind of treats that go with tea. Coffee beats tea in he staying up department as well, and I would say it beats it in the style one, as it's mostly just characters that want to be Uber-British or old ladies that tend to drink tea in pop culture, whereas the assumption coffee drinking somehow makes you cooler has developed so much that asking for black coffee to try to seem cooler has become a running gag in pop culture.
Tea is healthier for you though, which isn't in the list because coffee does not have such an advantage to begin with.

So all in all, to me personally coffee beats tea.

I'd also add that while Coffee has a stronger taste, Tea has a more diverse range of flavors. The taste of Chamomile Tea is vastly different from say, English Breakfast. Or Earl Gray and Caramel Rooibos. While you can argue there is a broad range of Coffee Roasts, you can't really deny that what you're mostly looking for is that distinct Coffee taste that's got some slight variation, whereas Tea doesn't have a distinct taste. If you say you want tea, you can't nonchalantly throw it out there because they'll always ask what type of tea, where if you say "I want coffee" they won't ask you for a type of roast, they'll ask if you want creamer and sugar. In addition, you can blend different types of teas together and have an entirely different taste.

I'd argue that when it comes to characters, Coffee is usually drunk by more mature, and want-to-be-mature characters, where Tea would be drunk by more youthful characters, but that alone is incredibly inaccurate. We can't easily tie down a character just based on their drink of choice. You can have a hard-tacked and jaded character that really likes Milkshakes, or a really sweet and innocent character enjoy hard black coffee. So really, their drink of choice would just be a preference of theirs, and most of the times, it would be left just as that.

Also to Idea: I see you are a man of culture as well.

I'd also add that while Coffee has a stronger taste, Tea has a more diverse range of flavors. The taste of Chamomile Tea is vastly different from say, English Breakfast. Or Earl Gray and Caramel Rooibos. While you can argue there is a broad range of Coffee Roasts, you can't really deny that what you're mostly looking for is that distinct Coffee taste that's got some slight variation, whereas Tea doesn't have a distinct taste. If you say you want tea, you can't nonchalantly throw it out there because they'll always ask what type of tea, where if you say "I want coffee" they won't ask you for a type of roast, they'll ask if you want creamer and sugar. In addition, you can blend different types of teas together and have an entirely different taste.
That's true. Point for tea there.

I'd argue that when it comes to characters, Coffee is usually drunk by more mature, and want-to-be-mature characters, where Tea would be drunk by more youthful characters, but that alone is incredibly inaccurate. We can't easily tie down a character just based on their drink of choice. You can have a hard-tacked and jaded character that really likes Milkshakes, or a really sweet and innocent character enjoy hard black coffee. So really, their drink of choice would just be a preference of theirs, and most of the times, it would be left just as that.
I didn't say the drink of choice actually informs the character, but there is an idea of style of coffee in pop culture that clearly favors coffee- regardless of it being accurate.

It's like smoking in that sense. In reality it's just harmful, but in pop culture it's often portrayed as "cool".

Also to Idea: I see you are a man of culture as well.
tQqSQEs.jpg

Coffee may only be better in the eyes of an uneducated westerner, for tea holds the ability to simulate so many sensations, to encompass an unlimited array of flavours... besides, someone strong of soul does not require such a thing as coffee.

I didn't say the drink of choice actually informs the character, but there is an idea of style of coffee in pop culture that clearly favors coffee- regardless of it being accurate.
It's like smoking in that sense. In reality it's just harmful, but in pop culture it's often portrayed as "cool".

Ah. I see. Pardon my mistake.

Let me reiterate, you are a man of culture due to your avatar picture. I commend you for your picture of Unicorn.

Let me reiterate, you are a man of culture due to your avatar picture. I commend you for your picture of Unicorn.
Haha thanks. Used her as a faceclaim for a character so I ended up with a few good ones for a profile pic XD Not that I actually played the games since I'm not into paid ones at the moment. Did read the manga though.

Generally, I am of the same opinion, with a single exception. Tea is superior to coffee in all but one regard: caffeine.

I mean I like both I guess.

I tend to drink coffee more in the morning and then tea for the rest of the day.

Coffee, when it's brewed correctly, can have many undertones that are very flavorful. Not many places roast their beans or brew them "correctly". Different kinds can also be paired with many different foods. I personally love it, although tea is fantastic at night before bed. It can also have many great flavors and many holistic benefits that I take advantage of when I'm sick. I find it difficult to compare the two because they yield such different experiences.

Cold tea with 8 pounds of sugar in it is OBJECTIVELY better than both hot tea and coffee. Change my mind.

That said I hate both hot tea and coffee equally.

An impossible generality. For me, it depends on the type of coffee and the type of tea. I'll take a cup of lapsang souchong over a cup of Folger's any day of the week, but I'll also take a cup of Mexican altura over crappy Lipton's tea any time.

Otherwise, it's situational. I tend to drink more coffee in the winter, more tea in the summer. I drink coffee in the morning and tea in the evening (I only drink decaf coffee, and either decaf tea, or I "home decaf" it by quick-steeping it, dumping it, and then steeping for real). To me, tea is refereshing and coffee is robust and fortifying - but there are expections on both sides, like lapsang souchong (extremely strong tea), or Ethiopian coffee (very brightly-flavored).

What is coffee if not tea made from coffee beans? :P seriously though this is hardly a fair competition it's like saying fish all fish are more valuable to the marine ecosystem then bottle-nose dolphins. Just about any fragrant edible herb and in some cases fruit zest steeped in boiling water can be made into tea.

What is coffee if not tea made from coffee beans? :P seriously though this is hardly a fair competition it's like saying fish all fish are more valuable to the marine ecosystem then bottle-nose dolphins. Just about any fragrant edible herb and in some cases fruit zest steeped in boiling water can be made into tea.
That's....actually a pretty good point

Users who are viewing this thread

Back