• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Futuristic Tales of the Ringworld

ringworld.jpg
The Codswallop Galaxy, named after its completely nonsensical shape, is a vast expanse full of all types of alien races and cultures. Radiating from the center of the galaxy, one interstellar dominion holds power over its entirety with a greasy, iron fist. The one escape that the galaxy's inhabitants have from this wicked power is halation. But even halation is held in the crooked grasp of the dominion, who control the means of its production and exclusively export to affluent parts of the galaxy populated by the upper-class.

Halation is a commodity to the poor, sought throughout the entire Codswallop Galaxy—especially in the lawless outer rim. Made from starlight, its effects can be described as "feeling like you're in a movie." Users of halation will see a foggy halo around their vision, feel nostalgic, uplifted, and warm, and won't be able to resist a second toke.Especially because if they do, the withdrawals are agonizingly fatal.

This drug is produced predominantly by ringworlds, most of which lie in the outer rim; a hive of scum and villainy, and the breeding ground for the worst sort in the galaxy. Due to the high prices of planetary housing and the upper class's penchant for segregation, ringworlds are predominantly populated by the poorest of the poor. Ringworlds are much cheaper to live in, as the side effects of halation production are toxic to most lifeforms of the galaxy. Life expectancy is severely reduced among ringworld inhabitants, most not living past the age of fifty.

There is one ringworld that is particularly wrought with nefarious affairs. Orbitting the star Petroleum VI, it is affectionately called "The Gas Station" by its locals. This is in part because of its location being suitable as a rest stop for travelers, but also because of its wretched smell.

Though most ringworld societies are based heavily on class, The Gas Station may be the worst of them all. Conditions in the slums are dreadful. Going out for a nightly stroll is the same as inviting anyone in your housing block to rob you.If you somehow go a few minutes without being mugged, you will be treated with the glorious views of shattered windows and abandoned apartments, and be able to hear the dozens of murders and other illegal activity that occurs on a nightly basis. At the very least, you will always have good old halation.

The local government does nothing to help the people in these ghettos, though its not as if they could even if they wanted to. The Beckett Syndicate and Lockmore Cartel are really in charge here. Selling halation has led their coffers to grow to heights rarely seen in the outer rim.

Though the Beckett Syndicate has been the driving force of the halation trade in The Gas Station for many years, the Lockmore Cartel arrived with a bang, assassinating the great Leon Beckett who had led the Syndicate for decades. The plot has left the Syndicate in shambles as they scramble to find new leadership. This has allowed John Lockmore to buy his way into the pockets of dominion officials on the Gas Station that once were under the thumb of the Beckett Syndicate.

This conflict has barely begun, but it is becoming clear that the Lockmore Cartel is here to stay. However, in the outlaw space of the outer rim, only time can tell what will happen to The Gas Station.

Rules/guidelines
1) The ring world is a hive of scum and villainy - everyone must be scum. Or villainy. Or just poor enough to be associated with those two like lower class basically
2) Robot technology is not very advanced yet - cyborgs aren't a thing, with only the rich being able to afford cybernetic enhancements of any value. Pretty much every robot is a servant and only able to complete the basic tasks - cleaning, cooking, etc.
3) The galaxy is large, and its population is diverse. While there are of course humans, there are many other races to be found among the stars. Be creative. I'm uncultured
4) Please stay on the ringworld; while space is huge, this is "Tales of the Ring World", not "Tales of the Ring World and Everywhere Else".
5) While you're not forced to be in either the syndicate or cartel, you shouldn't expect to escape their grasp. Or something.

Just wrote this together with my friend birm here! We can answer any questions and would love to talk about our plans for this with anyone interested. I think it will be fun

Last edited:
If you're interested in joining, go ahead and read the rules and sign up in the character sheet thread I posted earlier
Got a dumb idea for a species that used large mechas.. this one will probably but super down on most things so criminal because he just wants To keep his mecha powered due to the bond he has with it

Got a dumb idea for a species that used large mechas.. this one will probably but super down on most things so criminal because he just wants To keep his mecha powered due to the bond he has with it
Not a horrible idea, but robotic technology isn't that advanced in the ringworld. Mech suits aren't really a thing yet and the robots that exist are very simple and unreliable

Not a horrible idea, but robotic technology isn't that advanced in the ringworld. Mech suits aren't really a thing yet and the robots that exist are very simple and unreliable
Despite the simplistic nature of robot technology, a species or character that relies on a robot/machine for transport, lifting, or simple things like that could still exist. It might not be realistic for it to be huge and complex or to execute precise "humanoid" movements, but a large and bulky robot could possibly be used in a similar nature to a mech. It just might not be able to fly and shoot rockets and fight angels

For anyone viewing the thread or who might be interested in joining, I wanted to give a bit more info or something. So it's like player-driven and stuff we want everyone to be able to make their own way in the ringworld. You can interact with eachother or do your own thing, we want to have pre-determined events or happenings going on around you and you can react to them or participate in them as you want. How the future of "The Gas Station" goes will depend on how players interact with the world. OOC collaboration between people would probably be beneficial. Ultimately we'll all have worked together to create our own "tales" from the ringworld. You can check out the CS/OOC thread birmie made to see our characters if you want an idea of what we're looking for. The galaxy is huge, there's infinite possibility.

Huh
Well, for some reason I find myself browsing RPN listening to heist music, and I stumble across this
And now a lightbulb's just gone off
I'm guessing it's a-okay for me to join in?

Huh
Well, for some reason I find myself browsing RPN listening to heist music, and I stumble across this
And now a lightbulb's just gone off
I'm guessing it's a-okay for me to join in?
Absolutely, you can head right over to the character thread and make one whenever you'd like! If you need anything clarified let me or birmie know

Will do, but like, gotta ask
Will there be any central plot or just what the characters do?

Will do, but like, gotta ask
Will there be any central plot or just what the characters do?
It'll be a little bit of both. The roleplay is primarily going to be character driven, but from time to time there will be posts detailing events or developments in the Ringworld that will help drive the story one way or the other.

I’m generally not one for Sci-Fi, but this has definitely caught my interest!

Quick question, though: how large are the families of the Syndicate/Cartel? I think it might be fun to play a disgraced member of the Beckett family, if you guys aren’t opposed to it.

I’m generally not one for Sci-Fi, but this has definitely caught my interest!

Quick question, though: how large are the families of the Syndicate/Cartel? I think it might be fun to play a disgraced member of the Beckett family, if you guys aren’t opposed to it.
The syndicate/cartel groups would be quite large, considering the size of the ringworld and the kind of numbers it would have to have in population. I'm struggling to come up with an exact number though, it just feels like any choice would be too little or too much. So "pretty big!" works for me. A disgraced member of the Beckett syndicate would be interesting, go for it, I'd like to see what you come up with. Just curious, when you say "Beckett family" do you mean like crime "family" or blood family?

Oh, sorry, I should have been more specific! I was thinking blood family (if Leon even has any, that is.). If not, that's perfectly fine; I have a few other ideas I could try out, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back