Tales of the RDF - OOC

Me too. I hope it is as fun for everyone as I expect it to be.

Great posts, very informative.

Yep, Dann, you found the same dictionary I did. :)

To clarify, Zaile is entirely a product of 1e. While I now have the Shadow Chronicles, I didn't and hadn't read it when I made Zaile and, yes, there are some sizeable differences between editions (much to my astonishment, given how normally Palladium never changes).

I'm partial to Template #1 personally, though it would still be nice to pick up Paramedic somehow (damn you, Palladium, for how extremely limited your customization options are).

Human Tuteledge is entirely a product of the 1e build for Zentraedi (their entry has significantly fewer skills than the average human OCC writeups do, made up for in part with attribute bonuses and the ability to pick up extra skills if they're around humans). It looks like they're entirely rebalanced in 2e, though, so I don't know that it's appropriate (I think the package basically results in a free Domestic skill plus 4 other secondary skills from pilot, domestic, and a few other categories). In short, I'd suggest sticking to the templates as-is.

I'll update the mech when I update the rest of the sheet. Which will hopefully be over this weekend. :)

Epiphany, I fully agree with your Palladium-based comments. They normally don't change all that well. I prefer Modern d20 or Pathfinder to Palladium's role-playing system in part because of the reasons you've noted. Palladium's is far from a poor system, but there are a few key elements I could add and others I could do without. =)

And now that you mention it, I do recall Zentraedi having so very few skills (especially the male grunts! And from a Robotech Master perspective, why not, given that they're basically cannon-fodder).

I've just read the Special Aptitude table; there are some nice bonuses in there (and some that could easily be used to influence the direction a character might go).

I still need to "tinker" with Taniya before I post anything about her. I hope to have something satisfying enough to post by tomorrow. =)

@Sherwood Hey you! In the link provided above, I cannot find descriptions for the following 3 skills:

1. Military Tactics

2. Advanced Electronic Warfare (I take it this is a more advanced version of the Electronic Counter Measures skill?)

3. And Munitions Expert (this skill is linked with Field Armorer which has its own description?)

3a. Why does this character come with Field Armorer in the first place? It seems that its job is to fix medieval armor, make basic metal items, and deactivate/fix simple mechanical traps. Does Field Armorer do something differently in the hands of a mecha pilot, or does it perhaps work differently in a Mega-Damage campaign? I don't mind having it; I just can't fit my head around why an R.C.C. like this would include it.

Also...

4. Hand to Hand: Commando (in other versions of Palladium games) begins with Automatic Dodge. In the description posted, Dodge is given while Automatic Dodge appears implied. HtH: Commando still begins with Automatic Dodge, doesn't it?

5. The Spartan has the (newly improved!) GU-11 Gun Pod as an optional weapon (the same rifle the Veritechs use! Woop-woop!). Will beginning pilots like us have access to it if we are piloting the Spartan?

Ok, so from what I am hearing and my own research into it, the skill sets for the Zentraedi are much better in 2e than in 1e. We'll go with the templates I've posted unless someone wants to go a slightly different direction or choose a male character (which doesn't seem to be an issue at the moment; both of you want to play women)

Lets go over Dann's questions now, shall we?

1. Military Tactics: Study and application of military strategy, tactics and forces. The character is well versed in current tactical trends and the proper and often unconventional, use of military units to secure victory. Students of Military Tactics are also educated in historical military tactics, since much can be learned from the history of warfare.

2. Advanced Electronic Warfare: The new AEW skill is similar to the Communication skill Electronic Warfare, but is more in depth. Character with this skill are well versed in the theory and manipulation of freely propagating electromagnetic radiation, including radio, satellite/GPS signals and radar. This skill allows the character to detect and jam all enemy communications, radio-frequency navigation, radar and any other radio broadcasting equipment (electronic countermeasures). The character is familiar with all forms of ground based and airborne ECM/ECCM systems such as the AWACS systems as used aboard the ES-11 Cat's Eye aircraft.

3. Field Armorer and Munitions Expert: A somewhat simplistic and basic version of the Weapons Engineer as it applies to infantry weapons. The character can maintain, unjam, fix, modify, mount, reload ammunition, recharge E-clips, reload missiles and ammo drums, install/mount "hardpoints" and place machine guns and rockets on a vehicle. Can also repair minor damage to body armor, as well as sharpen blades, make arrows and arrowheads, make horseshoes and basic metal items. A major overhaul is not possible

3a. It seemed appropriate for the MOS, but if you want to change it and swap it out for another skill, talk to me about it.

4. you are correct in that HtH Commando has an auto dodge. It is just not well written in the book to show it.

5. Consider the gun pod as standard issue for the Spartans right now. You are on the front lines of a hot zone with the Zentraedi, and you'll want the extra firepower.

Though for real, can I get a Robotech PDF. I am extremely lost and have little to no clue what I am doing. Or at the very least can someone define the stats for me.

Heya Sohisohi! What does your name mean, friend? "Watermelon" (by the picture on your avatar)?

I don't have any of the Robotech PDFs (I save up and get the books as book sales keep the companies I love in business). =)

Here's a basic rundown of some Palladium terms!

Attributes:

Attributes are similar to Dungeons and Dragons in that they are typically rolled 3d6 (with average stats being 10 or 11). Anything above a 16 or so provides a bonus. Sherwood has seen to it that our characters are very special indeed as some of our stats are above this. The "soft ceiling" of statistics is 30. Anything above that is truly superhuman.

One can increase a character's statistics through skill purchase. You'll notice most (or all) of our characters have boxing experience? That's because it's the one skill in the game that adds an additional attack per round. But it also adds to your physical stats. Only a small handful of skills that I know of add to mental statistics (and none add to the physical beauty or P.B. attribute that I am aware of. Here's the list:

I.Q. = Intelligence Quotient. This represents your character's ability to learn. Bonuses from I.Q. add to any percentage-style skills you have.

M.E. = Mental Endurance. How well your character can "keep his cool" or endure mental strain. Bonuses add to rolls against insanity, etc.

M.A. = Mental Affinity. Charisma, basically. Having a high M.A. provides your character a good chance to charm or intimidate person(s).

P.S. = Physical Strength. Your character's ability to manipulate with physical objects. Bonuses include damage in non-mecha hand-to-hand combat.

P.P. = Physical Prowess. Dexterity, hand-eye coordination, but not running speed. Bonuses improve those highly-useful Strike, Parry, and Dodge rolls.

P.E. = Physical Endurance. Constitution. How healthy are you? High P.E. improves hit points and resistance versus physical conditions.

P.B. = Are you a hottie?! 8D This is Physical Beauty. While it has no "bonuses" per say, the higher the number, the more attractive one appears.

Spd. = Speed. Movement Rate. How fast can you beat those feet! Want to move faster? The Running skill is the skill of choice.

Here are some other important statistics in Palladium/Robotech:

Hit points = Your character's ability to stay alive in dangerous situations. It is a loose combination of physical health and survival ability.

S.D.C. = Structural Damage Capacity. The "toughness" of a character (boxers have lots of S.D.C., while books nerds might not have any. In non-mecha combat, damage is almost always subtracted from this statistic first). Think fists, feet, swords, baseball bats, pistols, flamethrowers, and the like.

M.D.C. = Mega Damage Capacity. If cars and buildings have lots of S.D.C., then tanks, modern warships, and mecha have M.D.C. S.D.C. weapons cannot harm M.D. items or mecha except to maybe scuff the paint. 1 point of M.D. = 100 S.D.C. Think rocket launchers, BIG guns, tank cannons, missiles, and the like. Each of our mecha would be nigh-unstoppable gods of metal in Real Life. Unfortunately, bad guys come in M.D. too. =)

Thanks Dann. Everything you just said is right on target. If anyone has any questions, I will be happy to help,and I can also tell you that @Dannigan is an excellent source of info that you can trust.

@Sohisohi I imagine you can shop for the PDFs mentioned or Google around for them. I think it's Sherwood's intent, though, to run a fairly straightforward game that you can pick up and learn as you play, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Also as mentioned, the NPC tab has templates you can use for building your character with. That's pretty much what I did! :)

@Sherwood My PC is largely updated to 2e via your template. I would like to ask if you'd be willing to let me trade out Trap Construction and/or Wilderness Survival for Paramedic? Based on her backstory, there's no way she ever hiked through any forests except via clone-instilled memory and those are the skills her concept can most do without.

If you're not cool with it, or have another preference, I'll understand. I'm not terribly surprised that Medical isn't a viable field for any spot in skill selection for the Zentraedi Warrior Elite. It's just mildly annoying that the rules as-is have no provision for a character switching careers for a few years in their backstory. Of course, it may be that the rules assume all 1st level PCs are brand-spanking new 16-18 year olds just graduated or something but the idea breaks down a bit given every Zentraedi RCC character (PC or NPC) has spent the last 3 years on Earth doing something they weren't bred for. Well, except for the Malcontents. >.>

Sherwood said:
There is a chart of Special Aptitude bonuses that I will have everyone roll on to get some special goodies. It is the chart in the Shadow Chronicles book, designed to help round out your characters. It includes chances for stat increases of various types that I will let everyone roll on.
[dice]9469[/dice]

So...I'm a natural Veritech Ace? In a Battloid only game? Literally the least useful Aptitude I could roll. xD Oh well, who knows what the future holds. :D A Zentraedi Veritech Ace is a hilarious idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
Epiphany said:
@Sohisohi I imagine you can shop for the PDFs mentioned or Google around for them. I think it's Sherwood's intent, though, to run a fairly straightforward game that you can pick up and learn as you play, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Also as mentioned, the NPC tab has templates you can use for building your character with. That's pretty much what I did! :)
@Sherwood My PC is largely updated to 2e via your template. I would like to ask if you'd be willing to let me trade out Trap Construction and/or Wilderness Survival for Paramedic? Based on her backstory, there's no way she ever hiked through any forests except via clone-instilled memory and those are the skills her concept can most do without.

Go ahead and make the switch to Paramedic. I have no objection to that.

On a side note, is there any volunteers for the rank of Sergeant and command of this motley bunch of misfits? I would prefer not to pull out an NPC for such a role, but I can if no one wants to take charge.

Also, there is a gamer that should be joining RP Nation shortly and will be joining us. I met him in two of my Robotech games that I'm running here, and when I told him about the website, he was very excited. I expect that he won't be signing in until his return to Real Life and I don't know what his screen name will be, but I know that everyone will be quite welcoming of him as he gets started with PbP.

So, @Lorelei Winchester, @DergTheDergon, and @Meowfyre; are you guys still in this? I haven't heard from you since the initial contact. You still have time to get ready for this before I hope to be running the game. I recall that @Beowulf said that he has some Real Life stuff to do this weekend and will be choosing his character later on once the new week has started, and @Dannigan is in the process of getting his sheet, too.

Thanks for the answers, Sherwood! I heavily perused Robotech: Shadow Chronicles for the first time today and lo and behold, two of the three skill descriptions you provided were right smack in there! I would very much like to keep that Field Armorer/Munitions Expert skill now that I see what it does! =)

I plan on calling up the local RPG store here and asking if they have Robotech: Macross Saga in stock. If they do, I'll purchase a copy and enjoy the read. One change I'm glad they made is the upgrade in damage to the GU-11 gun pod. I knew that the Spartan (having hands) could use one, but I have always felt that weapon was underpowered (3D6 M.D. for short burst, 6D6 M.D., long burst and 1D6x10 damage for full-round taking two actions, if memory serves. With those averages it takes three successful hits to drop a battle pod...). To see that darned thing now does 2D6x10 M.D.? Heck yeah! I'm looking forward to what it has to say on Zentraedi characters, too. I know a little about Zentraedi, but there is a lot more I don't know.

Sherwood? Let me know when you want me to roll that Special Aptitude roll and I'll include it?

As for sergeant, Taniya and I can do it, but I don't know if folks will want her as a leader. She gets the job done well, but she is not out to be friendly and popular about it (her M.A. is 11 after all - average at best). While she has serious battle experience and cares deeply about true teammates, Taniya has never led humans into battle. They might have a problem with her leading style. She is used to leading Maltrandi (female Zentraedi, and those folks are downright Japanese in their unquestioning, hardcore loyalty). Come to think of it, Taniya and the heroic yet hard General Patton (of W.W. II fame) have a few commonalities... and while Patton was incredibly successful in the war, he was only popular among those who understood his unusual perspective.

As for the new players, come on in! The water's fine! =)

Dannigan, you're ridiculously cheerful for someone on the internet. Please never lose that quality. It's awesome.

Just a small nitpicky observation: Maltrandi isn't actually a term from Robotech. It's a term from the Macross movies, which (in a fashion that only makes sense in Japan) has virtually identical characters, machines and plot but everything has a different name and that makes it somehow a different show. As an example, Max and Miryia Sterling in Robotech both exist as Maximilian Jenius and Milia Fallyna Jenius, who still fall in love and get married but their baby has a different name (and green hair instead of blonde). That said, if you really like using the term, go nuts. It won't bother me. :)

As for being a Sergeant, Zaile is a bit more outgoing than Taniya (MA 14) but without a High Command Caste RCC, neither really have the attribute spread or skill set. Ideally whoever ran the outfit should have the Leadership skill, no?

Thanks for the compliment, Epiphany! =)

Concerning Zaile and Taniya, are you saying that they might have been from the same squadron? Zaile is 2 years old, right? We don't yet know what year it will be in-game, but I was going to make Taniya old enough to have taken part in the initial Earth invasion (with a maybe a year or two of life in combat prior to the invasion). Even though we are starting out as 1st level characters, I really like the idea of Taniya having participated in actions against the Zentraedi's enemies prior to their coming to Earth. I'd like Taniya to have fought amongst the stars in distant battles against otherworldly enemies. She sees herself as a galactic warrior of sorts. Upon her arrival to Earth, I would for her to compare humans to her previous foes (whatever they were), and in doing so, become sympathetic to Earth's plight against the Robotech Masters. That was my avenue for Taniya to leave both the Robotech Masters and the Zentraedi while simultaneously cementing her loyalty to the RDF and Earth.

Epiphany, is this feasible, you think? Sherwood, what are your thoughts?

Zaile is technically 4 years old, as she was born a week before the final attack on earth when the Zentraedi Holocust happened and Breetai and his forces came out on top. That took place in 2011, and this game takes place sometime in 2015. Correct me if I'm wrong @Sherwood :) .

Otherwise, we could totally be from the same squadron if you'd like. Zaile did fight in the final battle after all.

So, the initial invasion happened around 2010 so if you wanted Taniya to be born year or two prior, that'd make Taniya about 7 years old or so. There's a surprising lack of detail in the Robotech setting about various Zentraedi enemies beyond the Invid. You might skim http://robotech.wikia.com/wiki/Invid for a summary. The Zentraedi method of mass production of cheap lives and cheap mecha using swarm tactics originated as a means of fighting the Invid, who did much the same.

The Invid are (at least at this point in time) inhuman and ruthless, without any apparent redeeming virtue. It's very easy to see humanity with its amazing art, music and its children as something wholly unique and different than anything Taniya had ever seen before.

Hmmm.... Thanks for the perspective! I'm not the GM/DM/Storyteller this time around so I am up for whatever Sherwood is willing to allow.

Oh, and as for M.A. scores, I only meant to point out that Taniya is not exactly a charismatic speaker. She can lead. Heck, look at Admiral Lisa Hayes-Hunter rockin' that M.A. of 14 to its fullest! No bonuses there, but hey, they love it when she's in charge! =)

As for Zaile and Taniya having been in the same squadron and fighting in the final battle and all, I'm open to that! I'm writing up Taniya's character sheet as we're chatting here... What would Taniya know about Zaile? I'd like to see how compatible their personalities are. =)

You make a good point about MA not being everything. :)

I imagine Taniya would know everything there was to know about Zaile when they were both in the Zentraedi Armada following the Imperative. Zaile was born 3 days before the final battle so...she was born with all of the knowledge, fighting skill and physical conditioning Zentraedi Warriors need but she was otherwise a complete newbie. I suspect virtually all Zentraedi start off fairly similar as highly programmed, extremely obedient to the chain of command and virtually no independence. Experience in their own ranks is what develops personality, and all of Zaile's growing happened on earth.

That said, Zaile 4 years later is far more individual than when they were both on the same ship together. You can glance over my character sheet in the Character Sign-Up thread for a more thorough look but, in short, Zaile is a cheerful, outgoing, happy warrior who fights for her adoptive people and her new homeland. She's married to a Micronian (i.e. human) nurse and her wife has done much to both humanize Zaile and widen her out. My blue-haired girl is still plenty hardcore about battle, of course (you can take the Zentraedi out of the Imperative but you can't take the Imperative out of the Zentraedi) and she still follows the chain of command loyally and fights aggressively against all foes. Zaile just has something to live for. Given the racial discrimination many Zentraedi face, I wouldn't be surprised if some thought Zaile had gone entirely native or perhaps think she's just completely naive about what life is really like.

So it's up to you what kind of relationship they'd have. I can tell you Zaile's first instinct upon seeing an old comrade would be a respectful greeting followed by an exchange of stories/experiences. And then getting to work. But she'd probably be whistling or humming cheerfully while doing it. Zaile is not the sober, somber alien most Zentraedi tend to be.

Cool! I've read your character sheet (hence my questions to Sherwood, re: Zaile's human influence skills) and I liked what I saw.

Zaile would very likely know that Taniya is still learning to find herself. A woman with a great warrior-spirit, Taniya has been completely dedicated to the Zentraedi cause to the point she has put every part of herself into perfecting what she was - a Maltrandi officer and Female Power Armor pilot. Until Earth, she had no other goals. She is a clever thinker, a fiercely-loyal teammate (to those she deems worthy), an efficient planner, and very much like a professional hitman, completely unbothered by killing or destroying (she is much like Leon in Leon: The Professional; a terrific movie!). After all, her fighting is never personal. She hardly ever gets angry or loses control, though she has a real passion for achieving her goals when she has them. Taniya was very heavy into helping her fellow Maltrandi with their own goals, not just because she was a leader, but because she valued her people and wanted the best for them.

I imagine (if they served in the same squadron) Taniya would care very much for Zaile and her wife. Taniya values traits like Zaile's enough to fight for them. But ever the distant-hearted warrior, she never really opened up about her own feelings beyond those found in battle.

In seeking to find herself, she eventually ran into a human who was a natural fit for her. It is fair to say their interaction changed each of their lives for the better. Taniya knew all about what it was to be a warrior, but little about what it was to be woman. This person changed all that. Then for reasons Taniya has not shared, they willingly parted. Enlightened, yet still seeking, Taniya is still learning what it is to be free.

How does that strike you?

Oh, and Zaile would likely know that Taniya has discovered fashion, likes the feel of riding a fast motorcycle on a challenging road, dancing, working out, fighting, and above all - she misses flying. Taniya loved Female Power Armor for the freedom it allowed her in the air, in space, in her soul. =)

Last edited by a moderator:
That strikes me just fine! From what you describe, I can easily envision a older sister/kid sister dynamic with Taniya the responsible reserved one while Zaile's the cheerful, caring one. Nice to know about Taniya's hobbies. I'm still thinking about Zaile's since 2e leaves me far less room for customization like cooking and what not.

Then again, for all I know, Sherwood's planning on running a combat-heavy mech-all-the-time game in which case this is all just window dressing. :)

Heya folks! Taniya's rough draft is up for your perusing pleasure (or at least I hope you have a good time checking it out. I certainly had fun making it!).

Epiphany, I played Cody "Wild Wolf" Loper in Sherwood's fun and still active Army of the Southern Cross game. That game had action, but there were plenty of opportunities between the missions for "downtime" and roleplaying. In other words, it's not all window dressing; it's a part of your character I think he wants you to have the chance to enjoy. Else, I don't think I'd include Taniya's desire to soul-searching. =)

I like the idea of that relationship for Zaile and Taniya too. Sounds like fun! As for customization, be specific in what you want from your character (especially during this character creation process). Sherwood will work with you as best he can, but it's tougher to do once the game has started.

Wow. So many posts overnight. I'm glad to see the two of you getting along so well. To answer to one concern, there will be a large amount of combat (this is a war story, after all) but there will be plenty of times to interact on a personal level. I want to make sure that this game is more than "I throw some dice and kill it".

@Epiphany, can you provide me with a few more details on what you'd like to see from your character's wife? What does she do, how does she act, that kind of thing. I want to make sure that when I post her actions it is what you want for your character. For instance, you are going to be stationed initially at the forward base known as Anton-17. For example, if she is a medical professional, it could make sense that she would go with you there, or she might be a civilian and elect to stay in the (relative) safety of the much larger Brazilia Base until you get transferred back there once more.

@Dannigan, my initial read of your sheet looks good. If you want to, make your percentile roll for the special aptitude either here or on your sheet, and since you have the Shadow Chronicles book, you can see what it is you are picking up.

Sure! Elyana Alencar was a military nurse who has been serving on RDF facilities practically since the organization formed. I imagine she's in her late 20s/early 30s. Ironically, she's from South America, from Natal, Brazil which was likely destroyed in the Zentraedi Holocaust. I envisioned her as a friendly, outgoing woman who is a nurse first, soldier second (she was already a nurse when she joined/enlisted). She initially met Zaile while assisting those newly micronized Zentraedi who suffered from balance and coordination issues after the process. While Elyana had only been interested in human women before, there was something endearing about the formal, stiff and very confused Zaile who was obviously lost in all of this. Initially, Elyana was Zaile's guide to humanity, showing her around and explaining things to the attractive but clueless Zentraedi. As their relationship grew, Zaile very much impressed on Elyana to the point of wanting to be a paramedic mostly so she could work where Elyana did.

In terms of personality, she's loud, fun, brave and caring. Unafraid to speak her mind and not shy. Elyana is probably the lead in the marriage, with Zaile thinking of herself as Elyana's wife rather than the other way around (if that makes sense). Cultural differences continue but Zaile's intentionally a lot like her spouse, for much of how she learned to grow beyond the Imperative and become more human came from her contact with Elyana.

I don't know how big Anton-17 is. Does it have its own medical facilities? If it's a forward base, I suspect they fly injuries to a central base with a medical facility nearby which is probably where Elyana would be. Whether that's Brazilla Base or a smaller closer operation, I don't really know the geography that well. I suspect wherever Elyana works wouldn't be too far away though, if for no other reason than medical facilities too far away mean the difference between life and death for the wounded.

Sherwood said:
My initial read of your sheet looks good. If you want to, make your percentile roll for the special aptitude either here or on your sheet, and since you have the Shadow Chronicles book, you can see what it is you are picking up.
O.K.! Let's see what the dice provide. =)

[dice]9478[/dice]

Hah! "Natural Battloid Ace"! The dice have a sense of humor! Epiphany's character is the Natural Veritech Ace, yet my character who wants nothing more than to fly again is a natural with the ground-pounders! Life sure throws some curve balls, doesn't it? I love it! =)

+5% to Pilot Battloid skill and +8% to Specialty Battloid Piloting (one specific non-transformable mecha which the character pilots better than any other). Also, +1 on Initiative, +1 to parry, and +1 to pull punch when piloting any type of non-transformable battloid).

Wait a moment! I just realized something while adding the special aptitude to Taniya's character sheet - The Female Power Armor is non-transformable mecha. Sherwood, does this make Taniya a Natural FPA Ace? Not like we'll be flying those again, but it would be neat!

Meowfyre said:
Sorry, I've had to stop rping to focus on collegework.
I understand. Real Life comes first. If things change, we'll be here.

And @Dannigan, if you want to have a rep as a FPA Ace prior to your joining in the RDF, I can go with that. Except for Myria, no other Zentraedi has been allowed to learn how to pilot the Veritechs, which is why you went for the Destroids when you signed up. It gives you the chance to prove yourself and perhaps get the chance to get behind the stick again.

@Epiphany, I can have Elyana transferred with you to Anton-17. The RDF tries to keep families together as much as possible, and with the recent Malcontent attacks in the area, there have been more losses than usual, requiring the presence of a skilled surgeon to help stabilize any casualties before having them evacuated away to a rear post.

Perfect! Zaile's capable of being independent but is likely to be significantly happier if she's able to spend time with her wife off-duty. That relationship is her strongest tie to humanity and the strongest (though not necessarily only) reason for her fierce loyalty to the RDF and Earth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back