• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Tale of Two Survivors { The Last of Us 1x1 with icedthemoon }

Nathaniel Matthews
Former Firefly | 21 | Current location ;; South Dakota

He knit his eyebrows together, staring at Alex for a moment as he tried to grasp the words his companion was saying. It took him too long to figure out what he meant. “Like…” but he couldn’t finish the thoughts, because they didn’t even make sense. Real life heroes were the people were pulling people out of danger. The doctors in this world saving lives. The people ones coming up with new ways to live. The ones who were finding ways to bring justice and peace and security. Not people who were just surviving. Not people searching for the heroes. “What do you mean? Because… I’m not…”

Alexander Brennan
Former Seraphite | 19 | Current location ;; South Dakota

Alex rubbed the back of his neck with his free hand. He didn't have many examples of real life heroes, he knew healers helped people and the elders led their group. He looked over at Nate shyly. "You are to me.. I've never met anyone like you Nate." Alex admitted. He wasn't sure how this conversation had started, but now they had to finish it. How did Alex tell him exactly what Nate's done for him in such a short time already? How does he make it seem like he cared about Nate without making the other feel uncomfortable or make it awkward. "You've saved me, helped me.." Alex added in a softer voice.

Nathaniel Matthews

Nate didn’t know what to say. That was not at all what he was expecting from this conversation. Him? He was a hero? Sure he did things like patch up some injuries sometimes. He could massage out some pain. But he wasn’t really the hero. He was the reason that the hunters could come after them. He was always taking too much time to just take someone out. He was the one who compromised them the most. He held his breath as his heart fluttered at the thought that Alex looked at him like he was a hero. A real life hero. “Do you really think so? That I’m…” but he was too flustered to say any more.

Alexander Brennan

Alex took a moment to think about his next words. No one was perfect, and it was unfair for even heroes to be seen that way. Yes, they both had their faults, but Alex knew their strengths. He knew that things had gone wrong a few days ago with the hunters, but they were human. Mistakes made, but they'd survived again. And again. "Yes. I do. I really do." Alex answered honestly. He swallowed the butterflies in his stomach, the nervous energy in his body. "You are a hero to me..." He whispered. And it was the honest truth. Alex thought that Nate was a hero, in his eyes anyway. And that was the only thing that mattered.

Nathaniel Matthews

All Nate ever wanted was to help. He wanted to help as many people as possible. He wanted to saved people. He wanted to find a way to tell the world that every thing was not so bad, and they could still survive. No, they could do more than that. They could live. And really, it was true. He dreamed of being a hero, but he never believed that he could really ever be one. But Alex did. Alex believed in him, and it brought tears to his eyes. He stopped walking, unable to deal with the overwhelming emotion of what that really meant for him. He drew in a breath, hoping that would help but it didn’t. So instead he stopped Alex too, pulled him gently with the hand he still held then brought him into a gentle but serious hug. “Thank you,” he whispered.”

Alexander Brennan

Alex wasn't expecting for Nate to stop, and a moment later he stopped Alex too. He looked over at Nate, unsure of just what happened. Had he said something wrong? He let out a soft gasp as Nate pulled him gently before bringing him into a hug. Alex wrapped his free arm around Nate to return the hug. Alex heard the thank you, his head rested on Nate's shoulder. "You're welcome." He whispered back, his head tipped to the side to rest against Nate's. He didn't realize just what his words had done, or how they'd effected him. One day Alex would be able to tell Nate exactly what he'd saved Alex from, word for word, feeling for feeling. Right now that was too much for Alex to talk about, but one day.

Nathaniel Matthews

He stayed in their hug for too long. Too long because they should have been moving. They should have been traveling. It was dangerous to stay in one place. But he just felt so overwhelmed by it all that he didn’t know how to keep going. Did Alex know how much everything he said to him meant so much? Was he aware of just how much he could make his entire being melt and shine all at the same time? Probably not. How could Nate possibly tell him though? Finally he release his grip, tried to find a way to wipe at his eyes without it look like he’d been crying. He hadn’t at least not yet. “I’m sorry, I don’t know why I-“ but he did. He knew why. He laughed, smiled, beamed really. “And you willingly choose to hang around this mess.”

Alexander Brennan

Alex knew they had to move, how dangerous it was to stay still, but he would not move. Not until Nate did. And eventually he felt Nate release his grip. Alex looked at Nate when he did, a soft smile on his face. "It's okay." Alex told him. He knew what Nate meant to him, and that was fine. "Don't be sorry." Alex added before he saw the smile and the laugh. "I do, I choose to hang around with you. And for some reason I just can't seem to leave" He said, a laugh coming out as well.

Nathaniel Matthews

Nate shoved his hands in the straps of his pack, hooking thumb as he pulled it tight to him. “It’s the charm,” he teased with a goofy grin. “You think it’s because of whatever but it’s the charm. You can’t help but stick around. Or have high opinions I don’t know if I have really earned. Not yet. Maybe one day.” He looked to the ground, willing away the flush of heat that traipsed across his cheeks. That absolutely did not work. It did what it wanted. “But I appreciate that you think that. I really do. And I hope I can live up to that.” He moved forward, slowly at first as he was still lost in the idea.

Alexander Brennan

Alex looked over at Nate, shaking his head with a laugh. "Right, that lovely charm of yours. How could I forget?" Alex said with a smile. "I don't know if your charm works on opinions.." He added with a small chuckle. Alex moved forward when Nate did, although he glanced over at him. "You're welcome, and I think you've already lived up to it" Alex said quietly, turning his attention back to the forest in front of them. They would get close to Wyoming, but still need a day or two before they crossed that border.

Nathaniel Matthews

Nate watched as the trees moved past them, working to see if he could really distinguish between them. He couldn’t. They all looked exactly the same. He would never be able to backtrack even to where they were that morning. Alex’s skills were amazing. Absolutely amazing. “I dunno. Maybe I got better at my charm skills while you were sleeping. Maybe I spend all night honing this ability of mine so that I can manipulate you further.” He laughed at himself, trying and failing as not feeling the fluttering as Alex insisted on his heroism. It was so strange. Sure, he got compliments from people all the time, but this was a big one. This was huge and also from Alex. Those two things made it so much more.

Alexander Brennan

Alex rolled his eyes at Nate with a small laugh. “Is that so? Well. I guess I need to work on my resisting skills.” Alex said, looking at Nate. The forest was cooler today, well. It was cooler today anyway. Alex paused for a moment to pull out his tunic and put it on as an extra layer. “We should hit Wyoming in a couple days.” He said as they walked.

Nathaniel Matthews

“Is Wyoming going to look any different than the Dakotas? Because I question whether or not you’re actually taking me anywhere different.” Nate nodded towards the trees in front of them. “I’m almost certain that tree is the same as the one we passed earlier. I feel like you’re lying to me.” He laughed and shook his head. “I think I will have to accept the fact that I will never figure it out. No, i have accepted it. I am wandering blindly. It’s great.” He laughed as they moved forward.

Alexander Brennan

Alex shrugged a little. "I don't know, I've never been through Wyoming. I just know the border is to our right and straight ahead, according to the map is Wyoming." He said. "Every tree is different, come here." Alex shifted them so they were walking close to a few trees. "Look, this one has a darker bark, while this one up here has a lighter bark, different trees have different barks and marks." Alex said. "And besides, you aren't walking blindly, you've got me" He added.

Nathaniel Matthews

Nate moved beside him and stared at the trees. He tried. He really did try, but there was no use. “I think you’re lying to me. Or you have magical tree powers, in which case, that’s adorable and I will leave you to that.” So maybe he could see how those two trees that were next to each other were marginally different, but there was nothing so different that it made him understand. He pulled out the map for something different to look at. Even looking at it, he couldn’t tell anything. “This doesn’t even make sense. How could being here even lead to over here? Nah I don’t even want to try. That’s why I have you.”

Alexander Brennan

Alex laughed listening to Nate. "That's it. You've discovered my secret. I have magical tree powers." Alex said. He shook his head as he listened to Nate when he pulled the map out. "It makes perfect sense, if you travel from here to there. Yes, this is why I'm here." Alex agreed with a chuckle. "It's simple really, but it's clear you need me and my tree powers and magical ability to read maps" He said with a smile.

Nathaniel Matthews

He peered down at the many lines of the map again, scrutinizing. “Okay sure that makes sense. That’s a straight line. But that’s not how the real world is. This tiny little box being a whole state doesn’t explain anything. I just can’t see it.” He shook his head. It was too small. He couldn’t see how these trees led to anything remotely like how the map portrayed. He shrugged and stuffed the map back in his pack. “But the important part is that we’re going wherever you need us to go and there aren’t infected and hunters trying to kill us actively! And I can tell progress via sky color changes.” He pointed above them. The sun didn’t lie to them.

Alexander Brennan

Alex looked over at Nate shaking his head with a laugh. "Yeah, you should put that way before you give yourself a headache" Alex said, looking at Nate. "All that matters is I understand it anyway, I am your guide remember? I'm also trying to keep us away from infected and hunters as well" He said, smiling over at Nate. "The sky is actually a great indicator of progress, in fact, I'd say we have some time before we make camp." He said, the sun not quite at the middle of the sky.

Nathaniel Matthews

“Yes, I’ve learned this. You’re security and guide all at once. I am certainly a lucky one.” Nate laughed as they walked. He remembered then all the extra things they picked up in the apartments. He continued moving as he pulled out some of the supplies, fiddling with them. Tinkering. He put together a couple more salves. He pulled out the couple of bottles of pills. Hmm. Interesting. He read through the labels again. They could clear the brain. Help with focus. He considered this. That could be helpful. He tossed them back in the bag for later. He pulled out the metal bat and swung it as they moved. He had not used a bat in years.

Alexander Brennan

Alex nodded. "Yes, you are the lucky one" He said with a chuckle. Alex kept one eye facing forward, and the other was watching Nate. He watched him fiddle with some supplies and putting stuff together. It was certainly fascinating to him. He watched as Nate pulled out the pills they'd found in the apartments. He was starting to pay more attention to Nate rather than his own feet. If he'd been paying attention, he'd see the root rising out of the ground. Alex didn't see it, but he tripped over the root with the leg that was limping yesterday. He righted himself, and tested his walk, he was fine, though there was a twinge in his leg every now and then. He wasn't going to say anything though.

Nathaniel Matthews

Nate decided that just walking was boring. He needed something to entertain them, especially because he was afraid that if he continued talking, he would get back to this constant thought process of just how much he appreciated that Alex was so good at literally everything. Instead of repeating himself over and over, he chose to practice swinging the bat. He moved further away from Alex so that he didn’t accidentally hit him. He swung with one hand and then two. These were for sport once upon a time. Could he do that? Maybe? Why not try. He scanned the ground for a sizable rock or something. Hmm. Oh! He skipped a foot to the side and picked one up quickly. He tossed it gently with one hand to test the weight. Okay. Sure. He could do this. While walking. Oh yeah this was fine. He tossed up the rock and swung, totally missing. “Oh man.” He bent down and picked up the rock to try again. Miss. “Wait I can do this.” Third time’s the charm. He tossed the rock up and swung the bat. It did hit the rock this time though it did not go far. He sighed. “Well, that could have gone better.”

Alexander Brennan

Alex looked over at Nate as he swung his bat around, though he did move away from Alex which was appreciated. He slowed his way as he watched him swing it one hand and then two. Alex paused, looking at Nate curiously as he looked for a rock. What was he doing? Alex watched as he tossed the rock up and swung the bat, missing. He watched as Nate tried again and missed. The third time he hit the rock, but it didn't go far. "What are you doing?" Alex asked. He'd never seen anything like what Nate was just doing.

Nathaniel Matthews

Nate narrowed his brows a moment before remembering that no, Alex would probably not be familiar with this. His upbringing was so different to the way that Nate was raised. It was crazy. It was like they were from two entirely different worlds sometimes. “I am poorly playing baseball,” he answered. He swung the bat again, emulating what he had seen in pictures, magazines, and trading cards. “It’s a game they used to have. Someone throws a ball and then someone else tries to hit it was a bat, that’s what this thing is, and they try and made the ball fly as far as they can.” He weight the bat in his hand. “It would seem that I’m not so great at this game, though, I am using a rock and also don’t have a um… wait, I can remember this…. Um-oh! Pitcher! The one who throws the ball.”

Alexander Brennan

Alex tilted his head, a little confused. “Baseball.. okay. Weird sport.” He said. He tried to imagine playing it but it wasn’t easy. “So it was a game of just hitting balls? That’s dumb.” Alex said, there seemed to be no practical reason for this game. “Maybe we need find a ball, and I could um pitch it to you?” Alex suggested.

Nathaniel Matthews

He laughed and shook his head. “No,” he defended. I”it was also a game of running to bases, throwing balls to get to runners to get them out, and overall being speedy.” He swung the baseball bat up to catch in his other hand as they walked. “Though I can see why you’d think that was strange. There are stranger games. one game was called pickle ball. I still don’t know what that is, but why would you want a ball that was pickled?” Now that he was done playing dangerously, he moved closer to Alex. “And you don’t have to pitch balls at me though I appreciate the offer. Where would we even find them? Maybe in apartments? I found a lot when I was a kid, but I haven’t seen them recently? But I haven’t been looking. It’s okay. There’s always football too.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back