• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Super Smash Bros. (OOC)

Main
Here
GrumpySwallow GrumpySwallow SheepKing SheepKing you two are doing a great job at playing your respective characters. I have to say this is my first time playing Sephiroth at least SSBU. I have come across people who try to redeem him at least his final fantasy 7 self. I personally play him as the cold and cunning hardened ex general SOLDIER. I don’t believe in redeeming him given his crimes and attempt to destroy all livings. Eh sorry for the tangent.
I still think it's fine. Just because he's irredeemable, doesn't mean you still can't explore more to his character. Like look at Vegeta or Sasuke. THOSE motherf*ckers are irredeemable (despite both narratives barely holding them accountable for the bs they've done over their respective series) BUT, they still have their moments of just being normal. Not apologetic. Barely remorseful. But they get along with everyone...kinda 😅.

I think you're doing a great job, SheepKing SheepKing

I sometimes feel I have to justify why I RP Pit the way I do as I have been given shit for not liking the English dub's portrayal of the character, being called a "weeaboo" and such. No, I don't dislike it because I'm a Japanese purist, but because the English dub sacrifices characterization for humor, and the changes to characterization don't match what is shown or implied in the gameplay and artwork of the past KI games (ex. Pit being illiterate when he clearly was able to read in the old games). I used to think the Japanese version was the same until videos of English subbed translations of the game were uploaded on to YouTube and I saw the differences. Old school Kid Icarus fans, from what I've seen, tend to hate the English dub's portrayal of Pit and Palutena. People have commented on how odd it is that Pit in SSBU looks so serious, and I'm like, "Yeah! That's pretty normal for him actually!" I mean, just look at the official Pit art I linked not too long ago! He's always looked stern even in his cameo appearances. If you ever watch the English subs of "Palutena's Revolting Dinner" or "Thanatos Rising", Pit doesn't tell a single joke or make a pun. Not once! It's all on Palutena and Thanatos.

I compare it to the first few seasons of Digimon, where the English dub is a lot more humorous and pun-filled while the original Japanese version takes itself a lot more seriously.
Aww shucks thank you! I think you've been doing a great job so far too! dhskfhd As someone who's first exposure to the Kid Icarus series was through the uprising dub, it's been a blast to learn about the different way's Pit's been portrayed, especially how it reflects the difficulties and challenges when it comes to the process of translating any manner of media across regions, especially in terms of the balance between whether to priorities a fully accurate translation or to change certain aspects for the sake of appealing to foreign audiences, and then there are so many other layers on top of that to what makes an objectively "good" or "bad" dub that at the end of the day it really comes down to personal preference and most of all nostalgia lmao. Like an example off the top of my head are the 4kids dubs of Kirby and Pokémon. Sure the original untainted series are probably objectively better but hearing Ash go by Satoshi or Dedede not have a southern accent would be too much for my puny little brain to handle lmao (the only exception for me is the sonic x anime, but that's because Cosmo's my fav character of all time and her arc got horrifically butchered in the dub so therefore the original's objectively better smh/hj) Oh shoot this is supposed to be about kid icarus isnt it fuck uhhhh in conclusion something something process of dubbing is probably hard something something regional differences something something I like funny angel boy but I have a brain poisoned by nostalgia and objectively trash tastes' but at the end of the day, we all do and are all just a bunch of little raccoons digging around to pick out our own favorite trash to cling onto I guess

......I swear to god I had an actual point to this but you could say it got....

lost in translation😎

Last edited:
I still think it's fine. Just because he's irredeemable, doesn't mean you still can't explore more to his character. Like look at Vegeta or Sasuke. THOSE motherf*ckers are irredeemable (despite both narratives barely holding them accountable for the bs they've done over their respective series) BUT, they still have their moments of just being normal. Not apologetic. Barely remorseful. But they get along with everyone...kinda 😅.
Oh boy Sephiroth acting normal will probs freak people out. Haha I should incorporate that into the rp at some time.

Oh boy Sephiroth acting normal will probs freak people out. Haha I should incorporate that into the rp at some time.
I just like the idea of that Cloud, a protag, being too cool to get down with the Smash Bros. most times and thent here's Sephiroth who by comparison, is an absolute monster, is willing to hang-out with them and even form connections (despite how temporary they'll end up being). Like "Well, I'm probably going to kill just about everyone here someday anyways, might aswell have a little fun with them before then".

I just like the idea of that Cloud, a protag, being too cool to get down with the Smash Bros. most times and thent here's Sephiroth who by comparison, is an absolute monster, is willing to hang-out with them and even form connections (despite how temporary they'll end up being). Like "Well, I'm probably going to kill just about everyone here someday anyways, might aswell have a little fun with them before then".
dhsofidkf Isabelle watches on in horror as the man she saw slaughter hundreds of people in cold blood (granted it was a clone but whatever lol) casually hang out with the other fighters as if nothing happened

dhsofidkf Isabelle watches on in horror as the man she saw slaughter hundreds of people in cold blood (granted it was a clone but whatever lol) casually hang out with the other fighters as if nothing happened
Hehe I’m all for it I mean it’s sorta Sephiroth’s mojo. Poor Isabelle though..

I am like super late to this convo my dumbass basically passed out after I sent my last message but I gotta chime in on character portrayal. For starters, I wanna say I really do think people are doing a great job with their portrayals of characters. I always enjoy the different takes people can have on one character. On my side of things, well I hope I’m only doing justice to my own.

Joker is a silent protagonist after all so his personality is a bit up in the air, though after playing like 400+ hours of P5 and diving into all its spin-offs+the anime I like to think he has lots of personality to work off of. I like to take the general soft, quiet, and goofy teen that Ren is and mesh it with the confident, flamboyant and justice seeking thief that Joker is. I try to keep his charisma in there as well because really people are drawn to him for it and it helps him make bonds. The one thing I do like to explore with him though is more of his negative feels because they don’t dive much in to his personal struggles. He generally holds his head high and keeps them to himself though there are moments specifically in the game where it’s commented on. Like he’ll never let those things chain him down, but he’s still human so he experiences them nonetheless. All in all Joker is just a lil self sacrificial boy who will lay his own life down to protect those he holds dear and to push his own justice forward

For Sora I’ve mostly been pulling from the first few games of KH because I feel that version of him fits Smash the best KH3 Sora goes places hoo boy lmao but generally I like to have him be a kindhearted boy who is always willing to help those in need and fight to protect. He is goofy and not particularly smart, but pretty much everything he does comes from the goodness of his own heart. Of course he has his moments to display that he is capable of thinking things through but more times than not he’s willing to dive into things right away and help. I do like to give him a little sass in his personality from time to time since hoo boy does he become sassy in parts of KH2 lmao. But yeah his character is pretty straightforward and I do admit I’m still working on my portrayal of him since this is only the second time I’ve played him.

Roxas on the other hand, this is the first time I’ve tried him my fav boy deserved love and I’m trying to avoid making him seem too angsty and grumpy since that’s not really who he is though he’s certainly more irritable than his counterpart and has more of a sourness to him. He’s a real spitfire, and while still kind at his core, he shows a lot more of the negative emotions when compared to Sora. He expresses hate and anger and being short tempered but does put a bit more thought behind it than his counterpart. He never wanted to be in the position he is after all, and just wanted a normal life. He does show bitterness towards Sora and being compared to him, but he warms up to him and comes to understand why Sora has to be the one to do things and not him. So while he’s a fierce fighter, he also is a softie. I also love the ideas that he is overprotective of his close friends and that he does get jealous of others

Pyra/Mythra are characters that I’ve played a few times and have kinda struggled with personality wise mostly because they have vastly different ones from each other yet are one combined person. I usually tend to lean to having one of them just be the one in control most the time to help avoid the constant flipflopping but also I like to do the character justice so switching is necessary. For Pyra I try to capture her kind and softhearted nature with a sprinkle of willingness to fight. She is constantly shown to be very caring while also having the ability to standup and fight when needed, even if she prefers not too. In a way she could be described as motherly towards those around her and I try to capture this in her character, though she has her moments of showing snarkiness (ex. there’s a point where one of the characters says something along the ones of “oh Pyra won’t stab you in the back” and she replies with “you’re right, I don’t have a knife”). On the flip side Mythra is a real tsundere. She’s constantly pushing people away to protect herself and avoid getting close out of fear of hurting them. She’s scared of her own power and has a strong distaste for herself which is why she’s always getting mad and acting sour towards her companions. She has an ego through the roof and is pretty reckless though over time she learns to control that. Generally as time goes by she softens up towards others, especially if they can make her feel like less of a threat to the world around her. So I try to capture these aspects of both their personalities and mix them together depending on who is in control.

Yoshi is a weird one for me because well he’s a character but also a general species do like sometimes it’s hard to figure out if certain depictions of him are the same character or not. However, i generally like to portray him as a very laidback and chill individual who is extremely loyal (maybe even to a fault) to his friends. He tends to go with the flow but steps up when he is called upon to take action and make something happen. He may not be the strongest around but he will put himself out there trying to protect others

And even though he hasn’t made his debut yet, Byleth (another silent protagonist) is a bit freeform in terms of personality. Three Hopes gave a real look into his personality better than Three Houses actually did (cuz ya know he actually speaks). How I like to approach a character like him is by keeping him a rather stoic individual who despite having a real resting bitch face, is oddly approachable. He’s a good listener and a good teacher, usually teaching via actions than words. He is soft spoken but when he does speak it has a certain level of charisma to it, showing just how wise he actually is despite the view one might get knowing he’s called the Ashen Demon. While he is fierce in battle and has a certain roughness to him, he is more than capable of showing mercy if his objective is met. He struggles to show much emotion and even speaks in a rather monotonous voice, yet he is slowly learning how to express himself and in a way feel more human. All in all, he’s likely just a tired professor who has a certain strictness to him, but deep down he cares

Now I apologize for this wall of text and all my rambling. With all this said, I really do hope I am doing these characters justice

Aww shucks thank you! I think you've been doing a great job so far too! dhskfhd As someone who's first exposure to the Kid Icarus series was through the uprising dub, it's been a blast to learn about the different way's Pit's been portrayed, especially how it reflects the difficulties and challenges when it comes to the process of translating any manner of media across regions, especially in terms of the balance between whether to priorities a fully accurate translation or to change certain aspects for the sake of appealing to foreign audiences, and then there are so many other layers on top of that to what makes an objectively "good" or "bad" dub that at the end of the day it really comes down to personal preference and most of all nostalgia lmao. Like an example off the top of my head are the 4kids dubs of Kirby and Pokémon. Sure the original untainted series are probably objectively better but hearing Ash go by Satoshi or Dedede not have a southern accent would be too much for my puny little brain to handle lmao (the only exception for me is the sonic x anime, but that's because Cosmo's my fav character of all time and her arc got horrifically butchered in the dub so therefore the original's objectively better smh/hj) Oh shoot this is supposed to be about kid icarus isnt it fuck uhhhh in conclusion something something process of dubbing is probably hard something something regional differences something something I like funny angel boy but I have a brain poisoned by nostalgia and objectively trash tastes' but at the end of the day, we all do and are all just a bunch of little raccoons digging around to pick out our own favorite trash to cling onto I guess

......I swear to god I had an actual point to this but you could say it got....

lost in translation😎

I get what you're saying. Clearly from the RP I don't mind a funny Pit! I just really hate that the English dub made a conscientious decision to portray Pit as an idiot, and because of that Pit has pretty much become a meme character. Ask folks about Pit and usually you'd get "Oh yeah, he can't read and eats floor ice cream lol!" It's like if Metroid never had a game for years, and when we finally got Dread they made Samus into a bimbo who doesn't even know her left from her right. I'm also not a fan of Palutena's English portrayal. She is a lot meaner to Pit than her Japanese self. Japanese Palutena is a ditz, but she is constantly praising Pit and supporting him, doesn't talk down to him, and when she does tease him she never belittles him while doing so. When Pit's wings burned, I had a hard time believing English Palutena actually gave a damn. My friends were watching me play Uprising and they described the relationship as "a guy simping over an internet streamer chick" and they're not really wrong with the comparison.

Hoo boy, but when I expressed those opinions online, people gave me a LOT of shit over it.

I'm not a Japanese dub purist. Definitely change the dialogue to better fit the audience, such as jokes or metaphors that only work in Japanese, but the characters', well, characterization should remain intact. If a character isn't stupid in the original version, don't change them to be stupid. I still love Southern Dedede and Spanish Meta Knight.

As far as character exploration, in the old game I had fun with Pit having to deal with his darker instincts. The first war on Angel Land against Medusa, and Pit's subsequent imprisonment in the Underworld, had left their scars, and as most of the old art of Pit portrayed him as being a pretty angry or grumpy little fellow, I tend to give him a fierce temper. An example is when Roy accused the other SSBs of cowardice for not wanting to rush blindly into a suicide mission and Pit was ready to throw hands; NO ONE calls him a coward! NES Pit can intimidate shopkeepers, so I always have it in mind that a truly angry Pit should be terrifying! That adorable bouncy little angel? Yeah, it's in everyone's best interest that he STAYS that way or someone may end up a bloody smear on the wall! I never made him edgy though, I avoided that as much as I can!

In the old RP, there was a Dark Pit. The idea was that in order to create a perfect servant, Palutena split her angels into their light and dark halves and sealed the darker angels in the Underworld. I had to cut that side-story short as I was suddenly in a move and didn't want anyone to be stuck. Had the side plot continued, Pit would find himself becoming more serious and ruthless, which freaks him out, and everyone comes up with the theory that by defeating Dark Pit, he absorbed the other half of his soul and became complete. Pit would eventually learn that, no, he didn't absorb Dark Pit. As the years passed and Pit experienced life, his soul reformed itself and became complete. Dark Pit also eventually developed a complete soul, so they were two whole beings the entire time. Pit had to come to terms with the fact that he and Palutena are not infallible, and that growing up can be a bitch. It would've tied in well with his conflict over fighting another angel, someone's OC, who served in the enemy army.

But I'm glad y'all are enjoying my portrayal of characters. So long as Toon Link feels like Toon Link and Pit is still recognizable as Pit, then awesome!

For Dark Pit, when I get around to him, I want to play with the idea that his time in the SSB tournaments has helped him soften up a bit. He has friends even if he's hesitant to call them that! He still can't completely help being the way his is due to the nature of his creation: he's still rough around the edges, blunt, rebellious, and aggressive, but deep down he has a good heart.

Last edited:
Okay so before Yoshi seems like he's crazy for being able to link Annette's weapon to Byleth I'm gonna post this of all the Heroes Relics in FE3H
8d3679bd7b141302233099d661ea3645.jpg

So as you can see, they all have very similar designs (ofc varying on weapon type) so I figured it wouldn't be too farfetched for even someone as simpleminded as Yoshi to notice I guess this is purely assuming Annette's warhammer is actually Crusher like I assumed it was

Last edited:
Sorry for being AFK so long. I got in a ski accident and broke my arm, slipped down the stairs and got a cold within the last two days, what did i miss

I get what you're saying. Clearly from the RP I don't mind a funny Pit! I just really hate that the English dub made a conscientious decision to portray Pit as an idiot, and because of that Pit has pretty much become a meme character. Ask folks about Pit and usually you'd get "Oh yeah, he can't read and eats floor ice cream lol!" It's like if Metroid never had a game for years, and when we finally got Dread they made Samus into a bimbo who doesn't even know her left from her right. I'm also not a fan of Palutena's English portrayal. She is a lot meaner to Pit than her Japanese self. Japanese Palutena is a ditz, but she is constantly praising Pit and supporting him, doesn't talk down to him, and when she does tease him she never belittles him while doing so. When Pit's wings burned, I had a hard time believing English Palutena actually gave a damn. My friends were watching me play Uprising and they described the relationship as "a guy simping over an internet streamer chick" and they're not really wrong with the comparison.

Hoo boy, but when I expressed those opinions online, people gave me a LOT of shit over it.

I'm not a Japanese dub purist. Definitely change the dialogue to better fit the audience, such as jokes or metaphors that only work in Japanese, but the characters', well, characterization should remain intact. If a character isn't stupid in the original version, don't change them to be stupid. I still love Southern Dedede and Spanish Meta Knight.

As far as character exploration, in the old game I had fun with Pit having to deal with his darker instincts. The first war on Angel Land against Medusa, and Pit's subsequent imprisonment in the Underworld, had left their scars, and as most of the old art of Pit portrayed him as being a pretty angry or grumpy little fellow, I tend to give him a fierce temper. An example is when Roy accused the other SSBs of cowardice for not wanting to rush blindly into a suicide mission and Pit was ready to throw hands; NO ONE calls him a coward! NES Pit can intimidate shopkeepers, so I always have it in mind that a truly angry Pit should be terrifying! That adorable bouncy little angel? Yeah, it's in everyone's best interest that he STAYS that way or someone may end up a bloody smear on the wall! I never made him edgy though, I avoided that as much as I can!

In the old RP, there was a Dark Pit. The idea was that in order to create a perfect servant, Palutena split her angels into their light and dark halves and sealed the darker angels in the Underworld. I had to cut that side-story short as I was suddenly in a move and didn't want anyone to be stuck. Had the side plot continued, Pit would find himself becoming more serious and ruthless, which freaks him out, and everyone comes up with the theory that by defeating Dark Pit, he absorbed the other half of his soul and became complete. Pit would eventually learn that, no, he didn't absorb Dark Pit. As the years passed and Pit experienced life, his soul reformed itself and became complete. Dark Pit also eventually developed a complete soul, so they were two whole beings the entire time. Pit had to come to terms with the fact that he and Palutena are not infallible, and that growing up can be a bitch. It would've tied in well with his conflict over fighting another angel, someone's OC, who served in the enemy army.

But I'm glad y'all are enjoying my portrayal of characters. So long as Toon Link feels like Toon Link and Pit is still recognizable as Pit, then awesome!

For Dark Pit, when I get around to him, I want to play with the idea that his time in the SSB tournaments has helped him soften up a bit. He has friends even if he's hesitant to call them that! He still can't completely help being the way his is due to the nature of his creation: he's still rough around the edges, blunt, rebellious, and aggressive, but deep down he has a good heart.
You play both Toon Link and Pit well. On the subject of Pt.. I hate how bad ass characters are treated as if they’re weak flowers when it’s clearly not the case. I understand it has something do with the difference of the English dub vs the Japanese sub.

Fhsjkdhf it’s seriously so funny how we seem to have every character but the two plumbers XD
If I had the confidence and will (I already have a lot what with my PCs and NPCs) I’d pick ‘em up so that they’re present!

I'm just over in my lil corner of JRPG characters/DLC fighters, then there's Yoshi, the oddball of my cast

Fhsjkdhf it’s seriously so funny how we seem to have every character but the two plumbers XD

I know! Like I didn’t even think I was gonna join this rp because I was all “Man, I really only wanna be Peach but Mario and his gang are probably already all taken, and there is already this epic Bowser, but it won’t hurt to ask even if I’d be a solo Peach, right?” And nah, man, Bowser was the ONLY ONE from the crew taken and I was all “whoa dang!” 😂

EDIT: Crap I’m almost sure Ploegy Ploegy joined as Yoshi AFTER I joined, right? I am SO sorry if I’m wrong I didn’t mean to leave you out, man 😱

Last edited:
Hey, no worries! Eager to see what you'll post!

View attachment 1060891

Thrurbridbejdibf I didn’t get a chance to properly respond earlier cause of work (I gotta watch the childrenz!) but like seriously BLESS YOU for being Daisy!

Me waiting for more than just Peach, Bowser, and Yoshi from the Mario gang to show up all:

EDIT: Crap I’m almost sure Ploegy Ploegy joined as Yoshi AFTER I joined, right? I am SO sorry if I’m wrong I didn’t mean to leave you out, man 😱
He was there before, but it's all cool lol. No harm done

Ritsu-Sohma-fruits-basket-19348653-272-204.jpg

AW CRAP, I AM SO SO SORRY!!!!
Ahhhh no need to be sorry! It's really no problem ^^

On another note, I decided to expand these lil derps and add in Byleth and Ann
poweroffriendship.png

Sorry for being AFK so long. I got in a ski accident and broke my arm, slipped down the stairs and got a cold within the last two days, what did i miss
horee sheet

Welcome back. That's a lot to happen in two days, I hope you get to feeling better. Welcome back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back