• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Streets of Mage

Jodyguru

Devil's Food
This idea I had is for a dungeons & dragons style adventure set in a massive cityscape, where instead of typical forests and castles you instead have to cross through the rough and tumble of the urban jungle. Players would take their cues from the GM and would be able to work together to solve problems. I don't like doing dice games so any combat we get into would be handled cinematically. That's just how i roll. I'd also like to offer players a few roles they can slip into so they're more comfortable with an unfamiliar setting. Roles like Inquisitor, Mafia Member, Vigilante, Burglar, and Sellsword to name a few. I'd be more than happy to discuss roles with players before committal. I'm also open to creative races and appearances too if you're the xenophile type of rpg player. I also enjoy a spice of horror in my campaigns, so expect some dark tones at appropriate moments. In all honesty I'm hoping I get to play this setting with people because I wanted to write a city based dnd campaign and would like to see how it'd play out.

Setting

1630_1920-x-1080-vignette.jpg

In Grand Nocturne, someone always wants somebody dead, and for the right price these wishes come true. While the religious orthodoxy known as Dominion have control over the government, they don't spend as much time catering to the needs of the people. Therefore it becomes the people's job to police and maintain the city. Seeing a proper knight on the streets usually means trouble for the local gangs who prefer to settle problems themselves. Recently, one such knight had the misfortune of stepping too far into the territory of Hamlet Regaldo, head of the east side mafia. The knight was found hanged with his armor gone and a magic circle carved into his torso, so that if anyone tried to lower the body the rune would cause the corpse to explode. Dominion officials were infuriated by this insidious act and have placed a 200 gold bounty on Regaldo's head, and 5 pieces for information on the gang. Hamlet has denied having any knowledge of this crime or the events that proceeded it.

Character Sheet

Name
Phyiscal description (details and photo here)
Role (placeholder for classes, job title can go here)
Background (include place of origin if not from Grand Nocturne. Also include family wealth, if any.)
Daily necessities: (what you bring when you leave the house)
Gear: (what you bring when you expect a fight)
Weapon of choice:
Magic (somewhat common for folks to know a spell or two, much like someone who doesn't speak a language might know a few words. Being able to cast requires material, verbal, and somatic components. DM me if you want to play a dedicated spellcaster)

Last edited:
I was thinking repeater crossbows but no guns. Don’t want the burden of technology weighing on us

I imagine some fantastical tech could exist with magic. I haven’t thought too deeply into this yet. Maybe we can have a subway system :o

Is it more modern or medieval, or somewhere along 1800-ish? You write both knight and cop in the OP so I don't know how to picture the setting.

Is it more modern or medieval, or somewhere along 1800-ish? You write both knight and cop in the OP so I don't know how to picture the setting.
I’m trying to go for a Fable kind of mixture of medieval and magic tech. Still brainstorming and hoping players bring their own ingredients to the story. I figured cop would be more concise than city guard

I’m trying to go for a Fable kind of mixture of medieval and magic tech. Still brainstorming and hoping players bring their own ingredients to the story. I figured cop would be more concise than city guard
I don't know Fable. So it has cops but no guns?

Name: Martel Theresia
Phyiscal description
Martel stands at 5'7. His built is rather skinny but his cloak hide it well.
7b3a8f963ad949506e11cbd8d2a7c63.jpg
Role: Dominion's Investigator
Background: A member of Theresia family, one of the noble house in Grand Nocturne. However, he's an illegitimate child and as such he faced a lot of subtle prescution within the family. He might be well fed and well educated but they keep throwing him into rough tasks in hope to 'accidently' get rid of him. Fortunately his uncle is quite fond of him so no family member dare to mess with him directly.
Daily necessities: Clothes, money, and his rosary.
Gear: Since his byfert rosary can be turned into weapon his combat gear is not much different from his everyday one, probably a chain mail armor and a few magical items.
Weapon of choice: Saber
Magic
  • Familiar - Filo: Martel has Filo the owl as his familiar and both of them can work in tandem very well. Filo is very intelligent and can sense the magical residue in the environment and as such, her role is akin to that of a tracking dog. Martel also poses a mask that allows him to synchonize his vision with Filo.
  • Steps of seven leagues: One becomes Seven, Seven becomes Infinite. Martel temporarily enhances his step with magic. During the duration each one of his step will be equal to seven steps, enabling him to blink in a short distance. This magic can be used to cross gap but can't be used to bypass obstacle.
  • Byfert saber - rosary: Turns turns turns, O Wielder of Smith. Show this humble servant your merciful/wrathful side. Byfert steel is a rare magical steel that can shift between two fixed forms. Martel's rosary is made of byfert steel and able to turns into a saber. When in rosary form it still retains the mass and weight of the saber.

I'm interested in joining - I'll need a bit to build a character - shouldn't be too long, though. I'm assuming we're keeping job roles to more of an open "choose your own job" sort of thing? Or do you have desired parameters?

I'm interested in joining - I'll need a bit to build a character - shouldn't be too long, though. I'm assuming we're keeping job roles to more of an open "choose your own job" sort of thing? Or do you have desired parameters?
Re-read your description over the roles - I'm having an idea for a for-hire scavenger of sorts. Would this fit?

I think it’s definitely an interesting idea but how would that role lend itself to a murder investigation plot?

Well having an eye for details could be useful for the investigation, and a broad knowledge of many things could be useful too

Well having an eye for details could be useful for the investigation, and a broad knowledge of many things could be useful too
I would say that her profession means she also has connections and a knowledge of cursed objects/curses, having found a few. She's toed the line with questionable people, which has lent to a knowledge into the "mafia".

I would say that her profession means she also has connections and a knowledge of cursed objects/curses, having found a few. She's toed the line with questionable people, which has lent to a knowledge into the "mafia".
Very interesting. I’d much appreciate a character sheet from you. This sounds like you’ve thought it through to some extent

So this is in fantasy, but I’m getting the impression that it’s not the “elves dwarves and orcs” type of fantasy. Am I wrong?

Name: Elysandre Richal
Physical description:
TVVc9gj.jpeg

Role: Scavenger for hire.... Treasure hunter
Background:
Elysandre grew up rather comfortably, outside of Grand Nocturne. The only girl amongst 7 brothers, she was pampered and taken care of. Ely (only her brothers are allowed to call her that) was doted on and educated far above her brothers. Her household believed in the traditional roles and while her brothers tossed and rumbled with one another in high caliber training facilities, she remained at home learning sewing, cooking, cleaning, as well as mathematics, philosophy, and several languages. What her parents didn't realized was that one the lamps were extinguished, she crept into her brothers' room and tossed and tumbled along with them. It became evident she possessed a physical skill as she continued to take down each of her brothers, eventually being the queen of the mountain, her oldest brother needing to tap out as he struggled to retain consciousness, her little legs wrapped firmly around his jugular. She yearned for more of an adventure - ones that she read about in the books her mother thought were locked safely away (her younger brother taught her how to lock-pick). She loved to read of knights, princes, kings, and the like that would travel far distances in search of the mystical treasure. Oftentimes the young man would return home to accolades and praise, only to return to another adventure. She didn't care that every story was about a boy or man, she could see herself with a golden treasure in her fingers, only to return to praise and shouts in the streets.

To her surprise, several years later, it was a visit to a local fair where she learned that such a job existed. A young man stood in a square with sword held high, proclaiming recruitment for treasure hunters. Promises of adventure, danger, and accolade rang true in her heart. She remembers standing there, tufts of her gown bunched in her fists as the excitement ran through her veins. She took a step forward to take a flyer, but her mother's hand stopped her and a questioning look of disapproval quickly quelled any hope of adventure. Although she walked away defeated for the day, she did not realize the events to unfold to bring her right back to the same place, in the short months to come. Tragedy struck the household Richal as her eldest brother was stricken down after confronting a local gang, shortly followed by the sudden death of her youngest brother to a mysterious illness. The rest of her brothers dedicated their time to local enforcements and her mother slowly degraded into madness. Her father tried to keep up with bills, but they were starting to pile. Having to sell most of her pretty dresses, Ely became comfortable in her brothers' hand-me-downs and would often fashion them to fit her smaller frame.

She was often left to take care of the house on her own, her mother remaining vacant in her room. Through experience, Ely learned it was best to go into public dressed as a boy and with knife on hand - she had been robbed one too many times and had learned her lessons. It was on such a day that she ran into the same man she remembered seeing only the year prior. He still advertised a guild of treasure hunters, assuring the highest caliber training and adventures beyond your wildest dreams. The most appealing aspect for Ely at the time was the promised pay - it would be enough to support her parents and put some away for herself. Surely, she thought, this was fortune smiling down on her. The man did not realize he was recruiting a young girl, something he would continue to bemoan after he learned the truth. But, that day Elysandre joined the Grayblade guild and started to pursue her childhood fantasies.

... Or so she thought. She quickly became disenfranchised when the reality of what it meant to be a treasure hunter was revealed. She was the only female and the youngest so she was often cleaning up headquarters and organizing stock. She used most of her downtime to read the tomes in the library, learning more than she ever dared about treasures and myths. She studied magics involved with treasure hunting, spells that would counteracts spells of concealment and protection. But as for the life of adventure she dreamed of, she was still only living it through books. Even when she did go on hunts, there was no adventure, no challenge. It was traveling back and forth between kingdoms, acting as the Dominion's errand boys. The corruption lies, and overall boring nature of the job was quickly getting to her. She was bemoaning her woes to a bartender when a shady figure approached her with an inquisitive look. They began a discussion, the stranger revealing themselves as a traveling merchant looking for a necklace that was stolen from him. He only knew that it was brought to Grand Nocturne, and supposedly in the hands of a Lady Marmande. He was looking for someone to locate it for him. Ely was ready to turn him down, but he quickly flash a satchel full of gold, promising it to whomever would be able to retrieve it for him.

That night, as a party was commencing in the house Marmande, Ely found herself picking her way into the home. Her mission to grab the necklace and exit, she skillfully avoided attention and made her way to the private chambers. She can still remember the adrenaline pumping through her veins, the music and raucous laughter from the party becoming a blur of sound around her. The private chambers were large but a table with various baubles proved to be easy to find. In the center of the table, laying atop a velvet tapestry was the necklace - gold chain linking down to a large ruby jewel, surround by an intricate design in diamonds and gold. She felt transfixed, but a crashing of plates broke her from her gaze and she quickly pocketed the treasure.

She returned triumphantly to her contractor and demanded the payment. He demanded to see the proof first, and she naively turned to show the necklace in the palm of her hand. The man chuckled in response and as he reached towards Ely, she felt a burning in her hand. Even through the pain in her palm, she remained frozen, her mouth agape in a silent cry. Her eyes were able to look down, to see the necklace chain contracting around her wrist, the emblem burning white hot, the smell of burning flesh reaching her nostrils. The man before her cackled as the vice grip of the chain threatened to break her hand. She was unsure of how long it had been before a bright light flooded her vision. Shouts sounded around her and then a scuffling noise. She would wake three days later in a hospital, alone.

Her return home and to the guild afterwards was rather uneventful. It wasn't until she returned to the pub that anyone would mention anything about her accident. The bartender eyed her up and down and settled himself in front of her bar seat. "Should have warned you about that shift fella the other night." He shrugged and explained that this was not the first time he had caused issues. He was in trouble with Hamlet Regaldo himself as he kept on edging into his turf and hunting treasures the mafia was after, themselves. Had already seen 6 of Hamlet's contract hunters killed.

Ely's next words caused the bar tend to take a step back. "How does one become a contract hunter?"

Daily necessities: Lock picks, tome of ancient language cheat sheets (created by Elysandre), satchel with maps of underground tunnels (just in case), coin purse, and lipstick
Gear: small daggers, thin sword (for long travel), armor
Weapon of choice: small dagger for throwing
Magic:
Facade: temporarily hides her from view, good for hiding, but not in populated places as you can still run into her
Imitation Curse: allows to created a temporary identical of any object
Conjuration of Restoration: will remove basic curses from objects

Okayyyy so I went way deeper into the background than I meant to but... here she is!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back