Advice/Help Story Progression/Lead?

Ezira

When you are roleplaying with someone or multiple people, is there a designated guide/lead for the story that carries the plot along, or does everyone contribute equally/when they have ideas?

When you are roleplaying with someone or multiple people, is there a designated guide/lead for the story that carries the plot along, or does everyone contribute equally/when they have ideas?
It depends on the gm. Sometimes they control everything from when your character craps to the choices they have in a life or death fight. Other times they are so relaxed, that it borderlines negligence.

Just be sure to read their interest check and ask if it's a concern. That generally solves that issue rather easily.

Speaking of how I personally go about it, if it's a 1x1, I try to make it so we share ideas, but I do tend to give a bit more contribution in terms of direction because of my more planned approach to roleplaying as opposed to the general more improv approach most people take.

In GMing, however, I mostly guide everything. I first set a foundation in terms of setting and am very rigorous in the reviewing of characters. When that is done, however, the plot is moved along by a series of key events that change slightly depending on the actions of the characters. The thing that really distinguishes me from the majority here, I think, is that I try to incorporate things about the characters and into the actual plot and am a bit more controlling but also have an invitational engagement of my players, crafting the plot in such a way that people get to participate and have meaning and try out different interactions in the best way possible, but that comes at the cost of you having to have that information ready from the start. In my roleplays, players are not allowed to hide secret backstory elements form the GM. If you try to pull a secret organization of assassins midway through the RP without telling me about it beforehand, chances are that is gonna be banned from the roleplay, and in the worst case scenario, you will too.

I don't write to groups, I prefer one x ones. With that said, I am big on writing with partners that have their own ideas and I bring my own to create something we both enjoy.
There's not really a designated lead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back