• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.
Corinne nodded; she carefully watched him examine her paintings; it was rare for someone with enough interest to take in the small details. It made her nervous about having someone silently judge her works, even if that someone is Captain America...wait, no, that makes it worse, besides he prefers Steve. She mentally reminds herself. Corinne attempting to ease her own concern about being judged went back to silently paining the canvas...

"Thank you... The three sister paintings are called ghosts of the past...as for inspiration..." Corinne's demeanour changed to nervousness simply by him asking where she got her inspiration from. It wouldn't be possible to explain without sounding insane. No, she refused to confide in another person about her burden. The secret to her inspiration will go to her grave. Corinne told a white lie; it was harmless." I think it was a surreal dream. That must have been it. I wouldn't call the ghost of the past paintings historical because there is a blend of present and past. I guess I see the world a bit differently."

Corinne, in telling her white lie, accidentally reveals bits of the truth with her words. She ends up going back to painting to calm her nerves. It was soothing to watch how colours blend together or complement each other to create something extraordinary even if she wasn't the best artist around; her works can hold together by their own merits. " I refuse to sell the three sister paintings individually. It's why they are still here despite being more exciting works.

"It's a date, you are supposed to buy flowers...unfortunately they started to wilt, so I put them in a vase," James explained his reasoning for the flowers; despite the damage done to his mind, he still knew how to act on a date, after all, back in the day he was quite the charmer. Maybe James had too much of it back in the day because it made it hard for Steve to find a girl." I wore one of my better sweaters, not fancy of a place to wear a suit."

Back in the day, he remembered almost every man would wear a suit nowadays; you can barely get a man to wear a decent non-wrinkled dress shirt, let alone suits. James glanced at Charlotte; she looked....beautiful. it jogged his memories how he made excuses to be around her all of his time on leave, but then that came to an end when he had to return to the front lines. He shook his head at the thought. This was going to be a good night with just the two of them.

"Will need to take the car to go to the restaurant." It was a bit of a nightmare to drive in New York city no matter which district, whether the Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens or Manhattan...but Manhattan was the worst place to go by far. James knew the old clunker they had for a car could die on them any moment, and he was older than the damn thing. " They don't make cars like they used to; things were built to last in my day, but now seems you look at it wrong also it breaks."

Steve was impressed by the sister paintings, turning his gaze back to Corrine as she explained herself, humming a bit at the idea of her seeing the world differently. Part of him wanted to think there was more to what it seemed with those specific words. After so long being an Avenger, he had to learn quickly that everything was not what it seemed.

He had gone from a world where superpowers weren't a thing, to a world where not only were people enhanced to emulate his serum or to create an army of little miracles, master assassins and alien deities based on Norse mythology. After witnessing all that, he knew the world wasn't the same as it used to be. "I see," He gave her a gentle grin, turning a quick gaze back to the ghosts of the past.

"Have you had many offers for them all as a set?" He asked, moreso out of curiosity than anything, but part of him was interested in buying the set, for the right price. "And how much would you be willing to part with them for?" He asked.

Charlotte smiled gently as she looked back up to James. "They're still lovely." She assured him gently. "And I've always been a sucker for roses." She admitted with a grin, relaxing as she looked at her dress with a hum. Thankfully it wasn't too dressy if James said where they were going wasn't classy enough for a suit. "If it helps any, the sweater looks great on you." She told him brightly as she went to get her heels out of the closet. A simple nude pair that she had been wearing when Steve found her. She had told the girls she was in no way going to be breaking in a new pair of heels for tonight.

"That's fair. That old betty is on her last legs." Charlotte called as she touched up her makeup and ensured her hair looked alright before coming back into the room with her bag. "But it could be worse. There's always the subway when she dies." She shrugged. "At least until we have enough for another one." She paused, looking up to the clock, then back to James.

"Should we be off? Or have we got a reservation?" She asked curiously.

Corinne looked up from her painting and thought about it for a few moments. Not many wanted to buy the three images together despite her willingness to heavily undersell them to ensure they stuck together. Corinne admits not many. " Only as individual pieces, not together, and I have rejected all offers that separate the collection. I am willing to go low to ensure the paintings stay together because otherwise, the story will be incomplete."

She glanced up at him, a bit confused why he was willing to buy all three of the paintings, yes he was an artist too, but she did not think he would be interested in such paintings. Even if they did make for good conversation pieces. " Even if I cannot find someone to take all three...at least they will remain together."

" Corinne. I found you!" A middle-aged woman approached the pair, fake blonde hair with a bob, heavy on the makeup. Wearing dress pants and a colourful blouse. She did eye Steve like he was a piece of fine steak. " Well. She held out her hand. " Oh, where are my manners, Carolyn. Corinne's former employer...Shame the girl quit..."

" I rather Betty than the subway. The last time I met up with Steve, a guy dressed as a rat dragging a fake pizza around on the subway train. I swear back in my day, nothing like that ever happened." James complained like an old man that the subway was just too weird to even consider it safe for a lady to travel because if there were people dressed as rats hanging around down there, he shuddered to think what other kinds of weirdos also lingered in the subway.

" We do have a reservation. I didn't want you to have to stand and wait for thirty minutes in case it was more popular than I thought during the week." James explained his reasoning behind the reservations and made careful considerations on time. He had been planning this since yesterday. " Shall we head out now? I hope Betty can make it through the thirty-minute drive."

To be fair, Steve did have several reasons for buying the trio. But the main one was simply for the forties New York piece. To have a bit of the past with him in his apartment, make him feel less...ancient?

"I think that --" He stopped turning to look to the woman that made him arch a brow. This woman was definitely what Queens would have described as a "Karen." even though it wasn't her name. "Steven, nice to meet you." He replied shaking her hand and looking at Corrine a bit confused. "Why were you looking for her?" He asked raising a brow as he started to dig out the money to pay for the sister pieces. "I'll pay you two hundred for the set now, any more it'll have to wait until tomorrow." He bargained with her.

Charlotte couldn't help but laugh at the mental image. "Oh, come, now, James, it's an...interesting story." She tried to joke off before shaking her head. "Why a rat though?" She mused raising a brow at the idea before deciding not to take too much time to think about it.

"Let's head out. I'm sure Betty has it in her. Tough old bird." Charlotte grinned going for her jacket as she started to the door. "She's gotten me through the Bronx no problem, and we all know how rough and tumble over there is." She joked as she waited for James so they could head out together.

Corinne glanced at the 200 dollars, she was just so happy that someone was taking all three paintings off her hands, and they got to stay out. She smiled softly at Steve. She got up and got out plastic coverings to put the canvases in a protective cover to ensure they would not get damaged." 200 hundred is fine. I am just glad that the collection will stay together. These protective coverings should protect them on the walk..."

Carolyn impatiently waited for the exchange of money and cleared her throat, not tolerant of being ignored by Corinne. However, was more than pleased to speak to the handsome young man. " Offering her a deal she cannot refuse if she comes back to work for me. After all she would be making more money than at a shabby coffee shop."

" No," Corinne stated bluntly; she would never go back to working for this fraud she had trusted when she was younger and more naive. This woman put her through hell with hand readings, tarot reading, not to mention the seances were the worst because her control was never there. Carolyn preyed upon the grieving in the early 2000s. She got lucky with her fake physics guesses and found a person's body, which led her to be famous for 5 minutes...her books about her psychic experiences are bread and butter... It was all lies. " I'm not working for you again...I told you twice already. I'm never doing that again."

" Not even for a 40 percent cut? It would be the amount you struggle to make as a minimum wage slave or as a struggling Artist..."Carolyn frowned, not liking being told no; she attempted to use money as it was the only way to survive in New York. When that wasn't convincing, she moved closer to Corinne and whispered in a sickenly sweet tone, laced with malicious intent. " You wouldn't want people to know you are mentally unstable now? Or perhaps I tip off the hospital as a concerned neighbour about a young woman having delusions."

She pulls away and then frowns. " You should decide now; you know where my office is. I expect you will make the right decision. Carolyn crossed her arms, attempting to force an answer out now.

" It's not interesting it is disturbing, who the heck goes around dressed like a rat? Like who in their right mind dresses like a rat and drags a pizza on the ground with his teeth?" James is beyond confused by people, not because he is old, but because something clearly went wrong somewhere with society. He wasn't old. " How should I know why he was dressed like a rat? Probably something is off with him clearly. It's why I don't want you to ride the subway alone."

" Guess it is time to leave. " James gave a small smile as he grabbed his wallet from the coffee table and began to head out of the apartment with Charlotte. He decided that he should drive Betty as the steering recently has a bad habit of randomly getting stuck when turning, and he had the strength to force unstuck, so they don't crash. " Soon, we will need a new car; this one is getting way too dangerous for you to be able to drive alone safely."

The traffic began to get heavy as it reached closer to rush hour in New York; sometimes, the traffic would be standing still for minutes without any signs of traffic moving. One of the things James did not miss about New York was the terrible traffic at 4:30 that could last for hours. He glanced at Charlotte. " Once my mandated therapy is over...we are moving to a more quiet place...because I don't have the patience for traffic like this."

It was about an hour before they arrived to the Italian restaurant. The place was steady with customers but not overly busy as it was still a bit early for people to come for dinner. James intentionally picked the time for that very reason. He made reservations for this time. So Charlotte can enjoy the atmosphere of dining out without the high risk of reporters coming to ruin a lovely evening out. It was his hope. James then had to focus on parking, and Betty did not make it easy to park on the street with the wheel jamming every few moments.

" We are here. Told you it was close...unfortunately, I didn't account for how bad rush hour...won't make that mistake twice. " James spoke as he cuts the engine to the car. He gets out of the car, coming around to the passenger side opening the car door for her, he was going to treat her well tonight as she needed the break from cooking and being his emotional support.

Steve immediately got bad vibes from Carolyn, and opted to stay in case she started any trouble as he got ready to gather the paintings for his journey home, sensitive hearing from the serum catching wind of the older woman's thinly veiled threat to ensure that Corrine was committed for "delusions." At this injustice, Steve saw red and got between the pair immediately.

"Ma'am, I highly advise you to walk away now." He warned. "The lady told you no, and that's something that should be respected. And don't think I didn't hear that threat about spreading rumours about her so-called delusions and mental instability. I promise you, you do not want to pick a fight with me." Steve warned. "And picking a fight with this lovely girl is doing just that. You are going to walk away and forget she exists. And if I hear about anyone making reports about her mental instability or delusions, I'm going to know who started them, and if that happens, I promise you that I'll have the government crackdown on any and all little schemes and illegalities of yours so fast your head will spin. And I have the power. Don't tempt it and walk away. Now." He ordered looking at Corrine. "And I will be walking her home so don't even think about hiding out to ambush her later."

Charlotte immediately paused at the idea and raised a brow at the mental image that Bucky had created. "Ok, that made it disturbing." she conceded shaking her head. "But you do know I don't leave the house without pepper spray, right?" She asked as they got into Betty and she patted the dashboard gently for good luck. "That's more than fair." She agreed to the idea of moving out of the city. She had hardly been cut out to be a city girl anyway, from the upbringing she had in France. "We can talk about that after." She promised, letting the rest of the drive go by in near silence.

As soon as the car was parked, Charlotte stepped out of it as Bucky opened the door. "Why, thank you." She smiled, straightening her dress and waiting for Bucky to lock the old beast before starting inside with him. She had a feeling he chose a reservation further from the typical dinner time, mainly so the pair could actively be in public without any of their moves being scrutinized. But whatever the reason, Charlotte wouldn't complain. "It does look like a nice place." She grinned to him, thankful he was making an effort for the pair of them to be normal.

" Hmmm, what power do you have? You are just a man. Besides, this is a private conversation. Which you are not a part of and learn to make a proper threat. Nothing that I do is illegal." Carolyn frowned as she crossed her arms, clearly annoyed that someone decided to interrupt her conversation with Corinne. She had a lot of riding bringing Corinne back to work under her, the money from a new client. However, Carolyn would just wait until much later. The girl, after all, lived alone and wasn't going to give up easily because someone told her to. " I really hope Corinne you make the right decision you have a week."

Corinne was frozen to her spot, she knew Carolyn was ruthless in securing financial gains, but this was quite extreme even for her. She was scared of what Carolyn would do if she refused; she could do a lot more than just a mere misunderstanding with medical professionals. That threat would only be the beginning. Corinne was about to give in to her demands if only to keep Carolyn from wreaking havoc on her life. The next shocking thing was Steve defending her against Carolyn; she never had someone actively try to protect her...but Corinne was afraid he would make things worst by threatening the woman that clearly had somewhat of a holdover. Corinne. " Steve... you should have let me handle it...Carolyn is stubborn and quite abrasive."

James locked the door; although he decided to double-check that the doors were in fact, locked, the last thing he wanted was for the car to not be there when they were finished with dinner. James, at this point, knew lady luck had a sick sense of humour. He glanced at Charlotte, offering her a small smile before crossing the street to head towards the restaurant. Once they got to the Hostess booth, he used a fake name for reservations as his own name would have led to people tipping off reporters. However, he gave a stern look to the hostess and calmly spoke. " Is a table in the back available?"

The hostess nodded, and she led them to their table. Which was in a place far from the windows; however, it wasn't in the center of the restaurant either and allowed them to have some privacy while they dined. The hostess put down some menus and spoke politely. " Here is the menu, and your server will be with you in a few minutes. Enjoy."

The hostess left, leaving them alone. James looked around a bit on edge, being out in public like this since the media campaign against him had started. James wasn't concerned for his safety. He could handle himself; however, Charlotte wasn't confident if he could keep them both safe if something were to happen because of him. However, this was a big step for him to start going out on dates; maybe Raynor will cut him a bit of slack. He picks up the menu, staring at it intently for a while. " Hmm, so many options...might take time to decide."

Steve refused to back down and glared at the woman. Part of him really wanted to drop the facade and tell her who he was, but he also didn't want to put Corrine on the spot, so he simply lowered his tone. "You have no idea the power I have." He reminded her cooly. "And I am a witness to you threatening to make this girl's life miserable. I think that I can sway the courts into a no-contact order. Or a restraining order against her. Now, run along and don't think about it." Steve told her, watching her walk away before he turned his gaze to Corrine.

Admittedly, he was shocked that she was upset. "Trust me, I don't like the vibe she was giving off." Steve explained in his defence. "Anyone willing to muck with someone's reputation is someone to be wary of, and I wasn't going to let her push anyone around like that." He explained. "Least of all you. Are you okay?" He asked.

Charlotte was far calmer as the pair walked inside towards the Hostess booth, her giving James a small smile of her own before turning it towards the Hostess politely. She was thankful that Bucky was making the effort to go outside his comfort zone as the pair were seated at what she believed was a pretty nice table. Private.

"Thank you." She smiled at the Hostess, reaching for her menu before seeing the anxiousness on Bucky's face. She gave a soft hum and reached to gently brush at his human hand, hoping to at least attempt to pacify him for now as she looked for herself. "It will." She agreed, chewing on her lip before gazing up at Bucky. "It'll be okay." She assured him with a quiet smile.

Corinne glanced up at Steve now; she was apprehensive about what Carolyn might do to her in the future. She wasn't going to let this go just because of someone. " I could have handled it. I know you mean well, but...I think it's better not to create problems...maybe I should have said yes...I think I am fine. Just worried."

Corinne began to pack up her art supplies; her mood was ruined, and she was nervous being in the park after what had just happened. Corinne glanced away from Steve, the stress building up. " She always gets what she wants in the end...I think it's better to just give in and avoid the conflict because nothing good comes from fighting."

" Yeah...I was careful to use a fake name for the reservations and the hair cut...no one should know it is me." James spoke lowly as he stared at the menu. He looked over it, trying to decide which pasta dish he was in the mood for. " Hmm, considering the Lasagna. It will be filling at least what about you?"

He gave her a small smile as he stared at her hand for a while. It made him feel better knowing he wasn't alone in all of this. James glanced away from her hand once the server came to take their order. He cleared his throat before speaking, moving his hand away from hers. " I'll have the Lasagna and just water."

Steve admittedly felt bad that he upset her, but moreso that she felt the need to negotiate with a mental terrorist. "Corrine, if you bend to her will, she's just going to demand more of you." He told her calmly, taking the time to help her pack up before taking a bag and his new paintings to start home.

"But tonight, you shouldn't worry about it. I'll walk you home just so she doesn't confront you again." He offered calmly, hiking a bag over his shoulder of her supplies so she didn't need to carry it. "When it comes to this, a lot of good would come from fighting. She'd never be able to harass you like that again." He explained.

Charlotte smiled at the idea and glanced down to the menu herself with a hum. "It does look good, though." She told him, turning her eyes up to his hair. "Really." She assured him as she turned to look to the menu. "Oh, the chicken parm is on tonight. I might get that." She grinned, turning her gaze to the waitress.

"Water for myself, too, and the chicken parm please." She replied gently to the waitress, turning her eyes back to James as she took a moment to move her hand away. "How'd today go?" She asked when the waitress left to go get their water and put the order in.

" I know, but I have never been able to handle conflict well. I just get so nervous. I just want to agree for it to stop. From experience, fighting has never led me anywhere good. I just take it now. It's easier and safer. If not her it would be someone else...there is no winning." Corinne explained her thoughts on the situation. Unfortunately, she was still shaken over the bold threat to get her institutionalized; even though it is much harder these days, the fear of it becoming a possibility was still there. Corinne explained her reasons why she did not want to fight Carolyn." I guess I just got used to constantly losing that I just stopped fighting; you can't lose if you never try fighting in the first place. I'm sorry you had to stand up for me."

Blue eyes glanced up at him as guilt from dragging him into her problems set in. However, at least she finally sold those three paintings; Corinne wondered if that was due to the painting reminding him of the past to some extent; either way, she did hope Steve enjoyed them, certainly would be conversational pieces. Corinne then asks. " Out of curiosity, why did you decide to buy the three paintings?"

" It went well; I went to the barber, nothing more to explain there as you see his results. Kinda looking more like my old self before...everything. I had to get flowers because who doesn't get flowers for a date. I decided to take a break from...what I usually do every day. " James answered casually. As he leaned back in his chair, trying to relax; but he never could in public spaces, too vulnerable.

He listened to the idle chatter of the restaurant, the clank of dishes. James decided to make some small talk and ask her about her day. "So, how was your day? I know you were busy with the girls, and I see you got a new dress as well."

Steve shook his head, more than angry at Carolyn for bringing her into this. "You might never lose when you don't fight, but you also never win, either." He told her. "And there is a win to this. You win, Carolyn leaves you alone." He told her. "And possibly can no longer legally contact or even be within sight of you without going to jail. I can safely say that she threatened you." He pointed out. "There's nothing good in just laying back and taking it."

He met her gaze with a warm smile as he held onto the paintings, grinning at the question of why he bought them. "Honestly?" He asked. "It feels nice having a bit of the past with me." He admitted. "Pictures that my grandparents may gave taken and a snapshot of my time in the war." He shook his head. "Might seem wild, but it drew me back into the period and I like that nostalgic homey feel they gave me." He grinned.

Charlotte smiled. She was glad that James was taking a break from his normal, where he was able to find variations in routine. "I'm glad." She assured him, taking a drink of water when it arrived. "A bit of a break could do you some good." She grinned, tucking hair from her face.

Charlotte took a minute to think it over before she replied. "It went well. Grabbed a turkey for Thanksgiving, and some extra food with the extra money I brought in with what I was selling, and the girls insisted on taking me shopping when I brought up a date." She laughed. "To be fair I really didn't have much else to wear." She joked.

" I guess you are right...I just wish it didn't have to be the case. I simply want a quiet life. Yet it seems no matter where I seem to go, there is always something that happens." Corinne admits feeling hopeless of trying to find peace in her life; if it isn't for people like Carolyn and her clients approaching her, Corinne's abnormalities are acting up and causing problems for her.

" I'm glad that my paintings can provide that...I will admit I was nervous when you started looking at them. I tend to get a lot of questions about them... it is hard to answer sometimes." Corinne tucks loose strands of hair behind her ear. She glanced up at Steve and asks a loaded question. " Do you regret getting the serum sometimes? Considering you might not be able to have a normal life?"

" I feel like I don't deserve a break until I have made things right to the best of my ability, even if realistically it is impossible." James knew it did not make sense to put such pressures on himself, but he owed that to the people that didn't deserve to die; he owed it to Steve and Charlotte. " I know my conscience will never be cleared, but I am trying to forgive myself."

James listened to her as she spoke about her day and smiled happily, he just liked to hear her talk; it was soothing and distracted him from his own thoughts, which at times weren't positive. However, he couldn't wholly relax; he noticed a waitress staring at him while she was on the phone, and his gut told him to have a plan in case something happened. James glanced back at Charlotte and spoke. " Seems like you had quite the busy day, doll."

"I think everyone does want quiet," Steve admitted. "Just to be able to live in peace. Both of us know about the chaos all too well, just in separate ways." He shook his head. "But that doesn't mean you're not entitled to that if you want it." He smiled at Corrine, pausing when he looked back on the serum and what it had indirectly caused.

Sure, the serum treated plenty of his medical issues from childhood, but if he hadn't gotten the serum...there wouldn't have been any Howling Commandos. If he had just stayed in the bond shows after rescuing Bucky, he may not have fallen off that train, he never would have become the Winter Soldier...but Hydra could have also won the war. "I deal with some guilt about things that could have been sometimes." He admitted. "Namely for Bucky's sake. He never would have gotten into Hydra if I hadn't put together the Commandos." He sighed. "But otherwise, I don't regret my actions. I wanted to go to war, Erksine gave me the chance to go to war, I took the chance. And who knows how the war would have turned out if I hadn't taken the Tesseract into the ocean with me." He shrugged. "Sure, there's plenty I've missed. Chance of marrying, kids, Bucky's family, but I have the chance now."

Charlotte gave a tiny grin to see James relax. "That may be how you feel, but if you spend all day every day focused on the past without a light break, you'll burn yourself out, maybe make yourself feel worse about what happened because there is only so much you can do to make amends. You'll want to do more, but can't. And the guilt for what you can't fix will consume you, and that's something I don't want for you." She said, glancing back to the waitress and taking the welcome opportunity to change the subject.

"I did. But you've had one as well." She pointed out happily. "It was actually fairly normal. Minus the being dragged to the mall to get a new dress and get my own hair done." She played with the ends, freshly trimmed and touched with copper highlights. "They decided on a new look." She laughed softly.

She knew deep down he was right, that everyone desired peace but often struggled to find it, some more than others. Yet to Corinne, it felt like an unattainable dream that simply would not come true. She had to live her life in a state of constant fear because she saw the world differently from other people; it could be exploited for personal gain or be shunned by society...sadly, both things have happened before. " It just seems unattainable."

Corinne listened to him speak, so sure about the one choice he made that altered his path in life. She wished she had that level of confidence in the choices she made. Steve did have regrets but wouldn't change his decision if given a chance. Corinne spoke softly. " I guess you are right, but it does not change the past...but the future can be better."

James knew she was right, but he still felt a heavy responsibility for the current state of the world; he altered history for the benefit of Hydra. He helped plunge the world into chaos and allowed Hydra to secure power over world governments. Right now, there is only so much he can do to fix things because of the court mandates; after they were done, he might disappear for a while until every last person that has ever worked with Hydra is behind bars. " I guess you are right. It will burn me to the ground if I keep going like this."

James nodded as he listened to hear, clearing his throat to speak. " Your new look suits you quite well, and you deserve better things, Doll. Hopefully, once these mandates are over, we can leave the city and go elsewhere. Where no one will know who I am, and you can have a more normal life."

However, before their meal could arrive, a storm of reporters with cameramen followed them into the restaurant. Someone from the restaurant may have clued in who he was and reported it to the media. He stood up from his chair as the reporters took notice of him. James having little time to think, took off his jacket and used it to Cover Charlotte's face and hair. They needed to leave now! He is livid that these people had the gall to show up here shove their mics into his face demanding him confirm his assassinations. James responded as he blocked their path from reaching Charlotte. " No comment.

The reporters began to shift their questions towards the woman. " Do you know the man is the Winter soldier? That you see a monster stand before you? What is your relationship with the Winter soldier?"

James had enough of this he punched a reporter that got too close to Charlotte; while they were shocked by the assault, he grabs Charlotte dragging her behind him using his metal arm to break the cameras filming him. He was this close to knocking them all out.

Steve saw the hopeless look in her eyes and gave a soft frown as he put a free hand on her shoulder, using his other arm to cradle the paintings gently in his free hand. "It may look unattainable now, but it can be done if you let someone help you. I'd be more than happy to do so." He offered, turning his gaze back to the paintings at her next statement.

Sure, it didn't change the past, but it gave him a small semblance of calm, just the feeling of the forties again was more than welcome after what he had turned his back on. "You're right. But it is nice to look back to the fond memories." He admitted, smiling down to her. "Doesn't mean I'll keep looking to the past, but it's nice to look back once in a while."

Charlotte smiled gently, face turning a soft pink as he complimented her. Even she had to agree, despite growing up in a smaller village, she did like the new look, in a fancy dress kind of way. "Thanks." She murmured brightly.

She enjoyed the idea of after all this being over. Just going somewhere small and starting their lives all over, somewhere only they knew who they really are. Just living like normal people.

On talk of normal, that went out the window as soon as the cameras and reporters showed up, prompting Charlotte to go wide eyed at the sight. Almost immediately, she was feeling claustrophobic by all these strangers in her face, more than thankful James shielded her with his jacket to hide her identity. Turning her gaze up to him she gave a small thankful smile before gasping at the mic in her face as the reporter hounded her with questions that she was not here to answer.

Thankfully, or not so thankfully, James managed to get a few away from her so she could feel like she could breathe before they both made a race to Betty, Charlotte practically diving in and still shielding her face in the event reporters came flooding after them.

" you really think so?" Corinne asked, hesitantly unsure of his words, considering he is but a stranger to her. she used a free hand to push her auburn hair behind her ear. She glances up at him, blue eyes searching for sincerity in his eyes. Corinne knew people had motives they always did, some were more genuine than others, but she did not know where Steve stood because the world had painted such an idealistic picture. Corinne knew better than to trust the image people tailored for the world; everyone had their own darkness.

" Careful...the past can be addicting, to gaze upon simpler times and replay fond memories. It is a trap that many people fall prey to despite the circumstances. They forget what matters is the present. Given your circumstances, you might be prone to this without realizing it." Corinne warned not to focus on the past, for it can take more time away from someone than intended. The past has an allure that everyone finds themselves looking back, whether pleasant memories or dark ones that an individual cannot let go of.

James, of course, standing on the street, took the expensive camera tossing it onto the ground and shattering it. He had had enough of these reporters wreaking havoc on his life after he had been through enough. James, however, decided breaking parole because of these reporters would not be worth it. They are not worth it. He gets into his car, starting up Betty, hoping the old girl would start because being surrounded by reporters was not the best time for the car to die. The engine roars to life, making their getaway much more effortlessly.

He kept his eyes on the road. James knew the night was ruined, all because of him; if he wasn't such a hot topic, there wouldn't have been reporters following him around. He glanced at Charlotte, knowing the ordinary date night was ruined, and James wasn't sure how to salvage it aside from going home and ordering food. " I'm sorry...This wasn't supposed to happen. I was careful. I got a haircut even so people wouldn't recognize me...I don't know who tipped them off, but I am going to find them."

Steve turned his gaze back to the woman again and gave a soft smile. "I know so. If we didn't fight for our peace, I doubt the Allies would have won the war, don't you think?" He asked her gently, turning his gaze back to the paintings at the thought of being stuck in the past.

He knew all too well what being stuck in the past was. A good chunk of him during the Time Heist was deadset on going back to put the stones back and staying with Peggy. He thought he was going to, he had it all planned out and everything. But when it actually happened, he couldn't. He couldn't go back to the past knowing what the future would hold, or leave Bucky with whatever the government wanted to do with the former Winter Soldier. But, he did get his dance with Peggy. Something small, but enough for him to say his final goodbyes to her. Bucky was still alive in the present, and Bucky still needed him. That's what kept him from sticking around.

"Oh, I know all about how the past can be addicting," Steve admitted. "But, I'm one of the few that managed to break the habit. Otherwise, I'd probably not be standing here right now." He gave a chuckle.

Charlotte visibly relaxed when Betty roared to life to get them away from the reporters, prompting her to gently pat the dash in appreciation before sitting back with a sigh. Well, there went date night.

She couldn't fault James for what happened. In fact, she didn't fault him. How was he supposed to know that some loose-lipped person would recognize him and go rushing to tell the presses of where they were? Was it irritating? Yes, no doubt. Did it hurt? A little. Was it his fault? No more than him being the Winter Soldier was his fault, so no.

Charlotte shook her head, taking a moment to blink back the threat of tears and compose herself. She could have a soft cry in the shower later. Not now. "James," She looked to him. "it isn't your fault." She told him. "How were you supposed to know someone would tip off the press?" She asked, voicing her thoughts. "Besides, what could you do to the person who tipped them off without violating your parole?" She asked.

" I guess...but I wouldn't call the second world war a victory...over 30 million people died in the conflict..." Corinne spoke softly; she saw the world differently, while people who went on about the victory of allies, in the end, neither side truly won. The allies failed to kill the nazi ideology, lives were destroyed, and in the end, not a single soul learnt a damn thing repeating a doomed cycle.

" I wouldn't know...." Was her response the past held memories she continued to run away from, and even now, she chose to run. It was the easier option and the safer one. One that did not lead to confrontations and feeling trapped. It did not involve ripping open emotional wounds. Corinne existed in the illusion that she was fine on her own and hardly needed people to be happy. Being alone, she felt safer, never having to worry about betrayals or deception.

James kept his eyes glued to the road. He knew that he would have to drive around for a while to make sure someone from the press didn't follow them to his apartment. The guilt of having the date night ruined by reporters continued to eat away at him, despite the fact this had not been his fault but rather a third party who wanted a few moments in the limelight. Shame, too; he was looking forward to eating authentic Italian dishes. Despite the evening being young, he felt the need to retreat into the apartment and hide away from the world.

" Last I check, staring someone down menacingly wouldn't violate parole." James knew it would be borderline violating the parole, but he didn't care about that right now. These reporters ruined their night out and he won't forgive them. " I know it isn't my fault, but I know you were looking forward to having this night to feel normal...only for it to be ruined, it sucks.

"And that's just in conflict." Steve pointed out. "Never mind what the Nazis did in those death camps." He shook his head. "But, at the very least we stopped the Holocaust and Hitler. And got justice for those who were murdered. That in itself, as shallow as it is, is still a victory." Steve had to agree that Nazis and Hydra were still prevalent, but at the same time, they weren't rounding people up to exterminate them anymore legally. To this day, he'd hold respect for Charlotte for helping those that she could escape that fate.

"How do you mean, you wouldn't know?" Steve asked, turning his gaze back to his walking companion concerned by what she meant. Did the past hold things she was not fond of remembering? "Did you have a bad past?" He asked before shaking his head again. "I'm sorry, it's none of my business. I didn't mean to pry."

Charlotte admittedly was upset at the loss of her night, but again, she couldn't blame James for it. God knew he was most likely beating himself up enough without her doing it if she had blamed him. The night was young, and one of the rarer nice ones to have gone for a walk as well before the snow fell. It was a pity it was all for nothing thanks to one nosy person who had to rain on their parade.

"You aren't wrong there," She admitted. A dirty look wouldn't violate his parole, but she also wasn't going to admit that him punching that reporter may come back to bite him later. "But what you are wrong about is the fact that you ruined it. You had no say in it. If you had your way, we'd be sitting back in that restaurant right now enjoying our night. The person to blame is whoever tipped off the press. They released the hounds."

She thought of a way to try to make it up to him, knowing he may have been looking forward to this as much as she had. She chewed on her lip and watched the stars, folding her hands in her lap.

" The past does not captivate my mind like other people. The past holds nothing for me." Corinne gave a guarded answer. She wasn't one to open up freely to others, especially to a man she had only met today despite being an important historical figure. Her trust is limited and not given out freely, for people tend to find ways to hurt others with the knowledge willingly given to them.

As they continued to walk, streets became less clean with carbage and gunk all over the sidewalk. Women in thin short dresses with coats standing close to street corners, often with a man accompanying them, it wasn't difficult to tell their occupation. The was an addict sitting at the edge of an ally way looking for his next fix. They were officially on the bad side of Brooklyn. Eventually, came up to an apartment complex that had seen better days, with the first floor of the building having bars over the windows. She enters the building only to pause, leaving the door open. " would you like to come in for tea, coffee or hot chocolate?"

Eventually, James considered it safe enough to return home to their tiny apartment. He could try doing takeout from another Italian restaurant. He is aware that his assault on a reporter that got too close might have gone too far, but he had grown tired of their meddling and would no longer tolerate them being around. The reporter was lucky enough that he did not use his metal hand to throw that punch. He knew his therapist is going to chew him out for assaulting someone.

" There might be an Italian place that does takeout." He breaks the oppressive silence with a glimmer of hope that their date night could be saved. It wouldn't be fancy like inside a restaurant, but at least they can eat together without interruptions, maybe watch a movie later on the old television and just be closer to her. He parked the car in the parking garage for the apartment. " I will look through the phone book."

Steve simply nodded in agreement to her words. Some people had really bad pasts, and he wasn't going to pry into it for someone he had just met that day. He knew all too well of other people with not so fond pasts. He worked with plenty of them in his time with the Avengers.

Steve didn't exactly like that such a woman lived in the dark side of Brooklyn, especially when he remembered it as home growing up. Things really did change in the last hundred years. He remembered this being a place you didn't need to carry anything with you to walk the streets. Turning to Corrine at the offer he gave a smile. "Yeah, a hot chocolate sounds great right now." He agreed. "Thank you."

Charlotte looked up when it seemed James had read her mind. "We can look." She agreed with a soft smile, knowing at some point that James would need to answer for the assault with Doctor Raynor.

Perhaps she could try to make him feel better. She does have that phonograph and records she remembered dancing with him back in the day, maybe it would jog some memories in him and give them both some time to forget about their situation and act like they were carefree again.

Corinne took the lead; the apartment complex wasn't much better, the elevator had an out-of-order sign with caution tape making a large X. There was no choice but the stairs, the carpet on the stairs outdated and faded with hints of dark red stains on the first landing. Corinne continued up the several flights of stairs until reaching the 3rd floor. Heading to a worn-down door with the number 303. She takes out a set of keys unlocking the door. For a brief moment, the lock jams before a soft click. Corinne opens the door and enters the apartment.

" Make yourself at home." She spoke softly as she went further into the apartment towards the kitchen. The walls were bare, suspiciously lacking photos of birthdays, holidays, graduation, family. Nothing that would hint at the past. The walls were blank, lacking any mementos; shelves had booked but no photos like the walls. The place seemed to serve only as a place to live and not a home.

The floors creaked as Corinne reached the kitchen. She began to pour water from the tap into the kettle. Setting it down as she got out some cookies she had made the other day, setting them down on the small kitchen table. However, a pattern knock could be heard on the bathroom door in a set of twos only to suddenly stop. Corinne glanced at Steve hesitantly, knowing activity might get worst than a few knocks. " The place isn't up to date...so pipes bang, just ignore it."

James parked the car in the car park for their apartment complex; of course, the neighbour had to park over the line into their spot, and well, he wasn't in the mood to deal with speaking to another person. James decided to park as close as he could without hitting the driver's side. This would prevent his neighbour from getting in and out of his own vehicle. He cuts the engine." You are going to have to crawl out on the driver's side. I'm sick of this guy hogging the parking. Plus, I am feeling a bit mischievous."

James gave her a smirk knowing his neighbour would flip once he saw this, yes he might have to deal with an angry neighbour later, but it would be worth it teaching assholes like him a lesson. He then cleared his throat and spoke. "On days like today...I need a beer and maybe some music...does that sound like a good idea, doll?"

Steve followed Corrine up the stairs, looking more and more anxious at the conditions she lived in. No elevator, clearly a dangerous area with the suspicious spatter on the carpet...nobody should live here. Hell, even Bucky had a half decent apartment with a working elevator, and the carpets weren't spattered in what suspiciously looked like blood. "Thanks." Steve set the paintings by the door and stepped inside, almost shocked at the sight before him.

The house did look just that. A house. A mere dwelling. Life was survival here, not warm and loving. This didn't scream home. His own apartment had photos with him and his friends, what he could find from his family, the odd trinket here and there. It was just...dull. "Don't decorate too much, huh?" He asked joking a bit as he looked towards the bathroom as he took a seat. "Oh, I get it, I used to live with old pipes." He explained.

Charlotte looked over to James, and turned to glance out her window, rolling her eyes at the Hummer taking up both spots. "One of his days, James, that man's car is going to get keyed." She told him as she carefully climbed out, ensuring to mind the dash. "And when that day comes, I'll be ready to help cover the culprit." She grinned. "Don't worry, I'll deal with He who Overcompensates his Size with a Big Truck." She promised with a laugh as she grabbed her purse.

She smiled at the idea of having a beer and playing some music. Just like old times, the night they met. "Sounds like a blast, Sarge." She assured him. "I'll order some dinner after." She assured him giving his hand a gentle squeeze.

" I'm hardly here...I only come here to sleep." Corinne admits to not having enough free time since most of her time consisted of trying to ensure she had the money for rent, which wasn't easy considering the average rates for rent in New York in general. " Besides, I don't like photos anyway...and anything I paint I sell to help make rent."

She set down a spoon for Steve only to turn her back to him as she began to search the fridge looking for the can of whip cream and milk; once done in the fridge started to look in the cabinets for the hot chocolate powder. Meanwhile, the spoon inches away from Steve slowly and from the corner in the living room, a shadow of a person quickly darts further into the apartment, followed by heavy steps and a door closing.

Corinne pauses and glances out of the kitchen, only to quickly continue making the hot chocolate realizing she made a terrible mistake of having a guest. The kettle whistles regaining her focus on the task of making hot chocolate. yet she froze into place as audible whispers that only Corinne could hear, not of one person, but many, so many in fact it was difficult to pinpoint what was being said; Corinne ignores it and makes the hot chocolate with whip cream on top, she handed one to Steve. The voices just kept getting louder. She sets down her own hot chocolate spoon in the mug.

"...I think my vibranium arm could do worst than key his stupid-looking Hummer, but honestly, whoever key's it deserves 10 dollars for doing the world a service...damn asshole." James mumbled, staring at the eye-sore vehicle that caused them a lot of parking space issues. The damn thing sometimes took both parking spots. " I don't think the Hummer is enough to compensate if we are being honest."

James hummed at the idea of music; it certainly would help them relax after the horrible experience of fleeing from reporters. He glanced at Charlotte and gave a tired smile. " Honestly, music and a bit of beer is something we both need after what we just went through. I promise it won't happen again...next time we go out, no interruptions, just you and me. Now let's get you inside before you catch a cold."

He links his arm up with hers, leading Charlotte to the apartment building, it was an older building, but it was cleaned and well maintained, and in a safe area of Brooklyn, although a bit pricy, it meant Charlotte could be safer in case he wasn't around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back