• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Writer_Princess53284

No retreat, no surrender
It was finally over. He was finally able to breathe, enjoy the peace and get to live thanks to Tony's sacrifice.

But seeing Pepper and Morgan at Tony's funeral, the dismay, the shattering of that little girl's life in the course of the last few months, and days following her dad's passing...Steve realized that he missed out on a life that he wanted to have. A family, not having to be Captain America.

He had already decided that returning the stones and Mjolnir would be the last act he'd do like Captain America, and he gave Sam and his best friend a quick hug before departing. But he had other plans as soon as Mjolnir was back on Asgard with the Reality Stone where it belonged. Not a plan as the Star-Spangled Man, but as Steve.

As Bucky's best friend.

He wasn't aware of much past Bucky's relationship with that girl from the English pub, but he knew that she had to be special if the former playboy was willing to propose. A bit more digging he had done learned that someone with the same name had ended up dying of tuberculosis in Auschwitz not too long after he had sent that final letter.

So, Steve decided to change her fate, intercept Charlotte, and explain the situation, bringing her back with him before handing the mantle and shield to Sam and making the declaration.

"I'm not Captain America anymore."

It had been about a month and a half since Steve officially retired, and he was enjoying life as a civilian. He still kept in touch with the surviving Avengers, but he was more than content to lay low and enjoy his life, especially this quaint little cafe he had stumbled across on his morning jog.

Taking a moment to consider it, Steve shrugged, listening to his stomach over his head and stepped into the warmth, the smell of fresh baking filling his senses as he took in the quietly excited chattering of other patrons, the click-clacking of students on their laptops, the sound of the odd car breezing past to wait in line, glancing up to the menu board with a hum. It had been a while since he had gotten a coffee, but whatever that cheesy smell was was compelling to him as he looked to the barista.

"Good morning, doll," He greeted with a soft grin. "uh, you'll have to forgive me, I'm kinda new at this artisan coffee thing. What would you recommend?" He asked with a polite smile.

Charlotte really couldn't believe what Steve had told her as she was readying to cross from Dover back into France, to find her brother again. Bucky was alive? How? Steve didn't give many details, but simply gave her a choice that she found hard to refuse.

Come back with him, and she could find Bucky.

Admittedly, she was more than a bit skeptical. But, she did know Steve was in Siberia at that point, from the final letter she had gotten from him, so she did feel a bit more comfortable knowing her Bucky's best friend had her best interest in mind.

With that said, she nodded and ended up following Steve into the future, where she ended up staying more than a bit culture shocked at how wild everything had changed. Being greeted by a lakefront cottage and surrounding forests and faces she didn't know.

Except for one. She couldn't help but smile at the sight of Bucky, alive, a little worn but still on his feet. She couldn't have jumped over to hug him fast enough.

The barista blended well to the mellow atmosphere of the shop, silently carrying a tray of fresh doughts to the front of the shop, placing the tray inside the display cases near the cash. The doughnuts were evenly spaced out to avoid crushing the freshly made doughnuts. Unfortunately, Corinne's co-worker was nowhere to be found, even though she is the one who handles the front and the transactions. Usually, Corinne quietly worked in the back, preparing the doughnuts, sandwiches, and other food they sold, along with the different coffees. At first, she did not know what to say but wouldn't ignore him and make him wait until her co-worker decided to return from what is probably a smoke break.

"Hello, Well, there are different blends and styles of brewing coffee, but it is a matter to taste. Some of our regulars prefer our single-origin coffee, which changes from season to season for the variety it is served as black because milk and other ingredients will cause the delicate flavours to be lost. While we use coffee blends for more drinks requiring milk and ingredients or processes for customers." Corinne explained carefully, trying to use language someone new to specialty coffees would hopefully understand, yet she doubts her explanation was great; maybe she should have used good examples? Wait, that might confuse him more.

" I personally have a terrible sweet tooth, so my judgement of coffee is skewed by my preferences towards sweet-tasting things. Hmm, I like mocha; it is excellent if you like chocolate, whipped cream and coffee; there is also Bicerin which is chocolate, white chocolate, whipped cream and coffee. if you are looking for something cold like Glace or Affogato, which is expresso with ice cream. There are also frappes, but that is more ice cream than expresso. I can just make a coffee based on what you usually drink at home as well." Corinne felt a bit awkward talking about coffee, of all things. She may have gone off on a tangent based on the coffee she enjoys when paired with different pastries and doughnuts. Thankfully she left out the snacks from her explanation of the sweeter coffees.

James was confused when a woman found her way into his arms; recognition had been nearly impossible for him still. Hydra did a number on his mind, the fact that he still couldn't remember his mother's face clearly is a testament to the damage Hydra had done to him. He stared at Steve confused, mentally asking, who is this? who is this? The gears of his brain turn, attempting to filter through all the memories he had been slowly recovering since he broke free of Hydra's control, yet while his mind drew blanks, subconsciously, James knew this woman, his arms wrapped around her, his body shook, and he did not know why. He felt so broken, not being able to recall much of anything about her. Tears came down his face, feeling robbed once more by Hydra.

He mourns for the memories he can no longer recall, and the ones he does are faded like a sketch being smugged beyond recognition, like a book where there are torn pages missings. James felt overwhelmed by emotions he could no longer name; was it despair? Melancholy? Or something else? Tears silently came down his face as he held a distant stare, yet the dam of emotions broke loose and began to sob. Hydra stole more than just control of his body, his memories and emotions... James finally mourns for what Hydra took...his humanity.

How was he supposed to explain to her that he was no longer the man she knew and loved? How was he supposed to explain the innocent blood that drenched his hands? How? How was he supposed to explain it? James did not know, but that discussion would need to take place...He wasn't ready; he wanted to give the illusion that he could be that Bucky again.

The moment Steve handed off the Shield to Sam, he knew Captain America would be gone, but he just hoped Steve would be still there for him, and in many ways, he was. James was pardoned for his crimes under the Winter soldier under the condition of court-mandated therapy and not engaging in conflict unless asked upon by government representatives. Yet he couldn't wholly sit down not when those who benefitted by Hydra still had their power. He had a list of names and would right the wrongs. James had his own place but shared it with Charlotte. He did his best to hide the trauma but couldn't permanently hide the night terrors or the early mornings; he woke in a cold sweat.

Today was such a morning. James sat at the coffee table drinking his black coffee; he forgot to purchase cream when he last did groceries. If James didn't have another person here, he wouldn't care. Yet James does; he was waiting for the store to open so he could buy cream. James didn't like not having things in the apartment, but not for himself...but for her. The room was pitch black, and he continued to ponder the last few months. Steve was enjoying retirement, and well, He was trying to be Bucky again for her because honestly, he had a hard time trying to live for himself.

Steve smiled warmly to the woman, almost apologizing for catching her off guard with his request. "Sorry, ma'am. I didn't mean to startle ya." He apologized bashfully before humming at her suggestions. Mocha? Chocolate in coffee? Steve admittedly was a chocoholic before the depression, and any sort of chocolate he got during the war was more than welcome. "Hmm, that mocha sounds really good. I'll take a large one of those." He decided with a grin. "Also, two of those sausage and egg breakfast sandwiches, one bacon and egg, and one of those donuts, please." He smiled at her, pulling out his wallet to pay the girl as her coworker came in from the back, popping some gum to hide the smell of tobacco on her breath and washing her hands, freezing at the sight of the man reaching to pay.

"Corrine!" she called, stepping back to the till. "Sorry about that, Captain." she gave soft smile looking at Corrine in shock. "What was it that I could get you?" she requested with a warm smile.

Steve gave a soft laugh shaking his head as he repeated his order. "And please, I'm just Steve now." he requested smiling at Corrine again. "Thank you for the recommendation, Corrine." He thanked her as he handed the cashier his money.

Charlotte would be lying if she said that it didn't kill her to learn that not only had Bucky gone through hell thanks to Hydra, but that as a result, he couldn't even recognize her. She'd be a right liar if she said she hadn't spent a night or two crying herself to sleep at the idea. Perhaps it was mourning the past, but it was just another resolve for her.

She stayed with him, nonetheless. Even though it hurt to have to introduce herself to the man she loved again, slowly had to integrate herself back in. Bucky may have changed a lot, but she knew deep down, he was still the man she had met at Guy's all those years ago. And she wasn't giving up on him, even though it would take a lot of heartbreak to get back.

She gave him his space, of course. Not wanting to overwhelm him with a near perfect stranger living in his apartment, but she did make efforts to try and ensure the apartment was picked up, that it at least felt a bit more like a welcoming place.

She usually spent her nights up late, listening to the new music with the headphones Steve had given her and admittedly pacing the room trying to tucker herself out. She didn't know why she felt the need to idly fret, but she always did, especially when she heard the sounds of Bucky rousing from his sleep in the other room.

Charlotte finally had enough of pacing this morning, tired of trying to fall back asleep at the sound of the coffee brewing and cautiously peeked out the door. Oh, good, he's awake. Taking the robe that her and Wanda had gone shopping for when she needed modern clothes, she tied it around herself and stepped out into the kitchen, looking to Bucky with a slight frown. "Another nightmare?" She asked gently.

" Oh no, it's fine, prone to getting startled by silly things." Corinne downplayed how badly startled she was. At least she did not drop the tray as she had a few days ago. Just as she started to punch in the order, her co-worker came back with quite a reaction. Corinne stepped aside only to hear the word captain glancing from her co-worker to the man she referred to as Captain, then back to the co-worker. Then it clicked; this customer was Captain America...she just talked about coffee to him. she finally finds her words and answers him nervously" I am glad my recommendations helped."

Corinne turned around, trying to push down the embarrassment rising to her cheeks. Corinne has never been comfortable with her emotions; she takes a deep breath and gets started on those orders. First, she began to make the mocha coffee, handing it to him, before fleeing to the back kitchen and getting started on those breakfast orders. It does take a few minutes to assemble the order. Corinne came out with the breakfast sandwiches wrapped up and handed them over to him, changing her gloves before selecting a fresh dought, putting it in a brown paper bag. " here you go."

Corinne gave a soft, warm smile, doing what most did in customer service, hiding her embarrassment over not recognizing Steve for his celebrity status as both an Avenger and a War Hero. She knew her co-workers wouldn't let her live it down and tease her for the rest of the day. " I hope you enjoy your coffee."

" Yeah, another one...This time it was a kid...he wasn't the target, but Hydra didn't witness; the guy saw me assassinating a government official. I killed an innocent man that wasn't even a hydra target." His hands shook as he spoke, the memory fresh in his mind how he didn't hesitate to kill a civilian. He ran a hand through his hair. Today he is getting it cut. It was time. His therapist recommended it as part of the healing process; James doubts a haircut could help him heal.

" I also... remember...I had a ring once. I think I bought it before the mission that led me down this path." James explained, unsure if he should tell her, but it was difficult to know if his memories were real or just imagined. " I think the ring might have been for you. I'm not sure. I had it in my pocket...on the mission a reason to come back, but I guess when I fell, it was lost. I'm sorry."

There were times when memories would surface; some were fleeting while others remained ingrained in his mind. A regret that he cannot recall more, chasing ghosts to understand who he was before Hydra messed with his mind and body, making him their marionette that killed on command. Today he knew where a Hydra associate would be, and today there would be justice carried out.
" I plan on going out later in the day. I have some business to take care of. it is involved with my healing. Did you want me to pick up dinner for us?"

Steve gave her a warm smile in exchange as he waited for his order to be ready. "I really didn't mean to startle you." He told her gently smiling at the girl as she made his coffee. He gave her a nod in thanks and took a drink humming to himself. "Mm, you're right. This definitely was a good choice." He told her before watching her go into the back, taking a moment to pull out his phone to shoot Bucky a quick text to check on him with a frown. He hoped things were going well with him now that he had Charlotte, but he had a feeling it would take a while and some therapy for him to warm up at last.

He gave Corrine another smile as he took the small bags with his order. "Thanks, if these are anywhere near as good as the coffee, I can almost assure you that you'll be seeing me again." He promised, taking a bite of the doughnut and licking his lips with a smile. "Scratch that, I most certainly will be back. Can't make anything like this on my own." Steve joked, stepping back to take a seat and people watch as he ate his breakfast and drank his coffee.

After the first sandwich, Steve dug in his backpack and pulled out his sketchbook and pencil, opting to spend some of this morning sketching like he used to, taking the time to sketch inside the shop with a soft hum as he shaded.

Charlotte took a seat on the couch beside him as he opted to tell her about the nightmare. She wanted to put a hand on his back, comfort him physically, but she learned fast not to try and touch him when he was coming down from that state, so instead she opted to stretch back on the ottoman section to listen to him, noting from his lack of cream in his coffee that they had run out.

"It wasn't you, James," She murmured to him. "None of what the Soldier did was you." She tried to assure him again, pausing when Bucky revealed that he remembered a ring. He had a ring.

She cleared her throat at that revelation. Today was going to be one of the harder days for her, she almost knew it.

"You're not to blame." She told him gently shaking her head. For now, she'd play it cool, calm. For James if no one else. She'd have a good cry about it when he left for the day. "I can't fault you for what was out of your control."

Charlotte gave a soft grin, wondering if maybe she herself should call Doctor Raynor to look into therapy for herself, but with Bucky's opinion of her, she had been a bit wary. "Nah, I can handle it." She assured him. "I gotta run and grab some yarn anyway. I'll grab something." She waved him off. "And I'll pick up some cream when I'm out too." She gestured to his mug going to get her cappuccino mix from the cupboard.

Sure, she liked her plain Jane coffee and cream, cappuccinos were more her style anyway. If anything, she kept to drinking black when Bucky had the cream. Mainly to get him out of the house to get some, and be halfway normal for a while. She figured it'd help. "You hungry?" She asked him.

" We always welcome new faces around here, and we do hope to see you again." Corinne answered in her gentle demeanour, while she couldn't read people very well, but always knew when the baked goods have successfully guaranteed another regular. So it seems a former Avenger has a sweet tooth.

Corinne wasn't precisely social but did enjoy watching the customers when she had some downtime. Each person had a story that would never be entirely told, and they would always be an enigma. Yet today was one of these mornings where it was going to be busy, as they brought back a few popular single-origin coffees that many coffee commissures were lining up for a cup.

The young woman was quite the busy bee, constantly moving from the back and the front replacing doughnuts and other pastries. She was a diligent worker and made sure the display cases appeared to be full to be aesthetically pleasing to customers. Eventually, she was able to take her break once another employee showed up for their shift. Corinne took advantage of the discounted food and drink; she bought a smores frappes with a boston cream. She sat down in a far corner to enjoy her 30-minute break with her sugary delights.

She did notice Steve had a sketchbook; Simultaneously, she was curious about the contents inside. Her inner artist always liked seeing others' works but was too nervous about making conversation as usual. Besides, wouldn't it be weird to make conversations with customers so freely? Corinne wasn't so sure.

" But it was my hands. I did those things even if I wasn't in the right mind. I'm lucky the government didn't send me away to the looney bin for the rest of my life. " James knew if it were not for his friend's political influence with being a war hero and one responsible for bringing back half of the world's population...then the United States government wouldn't have been so lenient on him.

He paused; the ring thing bothered him because it meant she meant a lot to him, one of the things that helped to get through the war besides Steve. James stared at her for a long time. He felt guilty putting her through this with him, she didn't deserve this, and He knew that this was hurting her in ways he could not begin to comprehend. " Sorry about the ring....food would be nice."

James suddenly felt a buzz for his phone and quickly glanced at it. It was Steve, and I decided to text him back later. He wasn't sure how this situation worked out, but he knew the company prevented him from going off the deep end. He didn't want to become co-dependent or burden her with his troubles...yet he needed Charlotte around. " I remember when I was on leave...you were there at the bar and we kept meeting after that..."

His memories of the war were returning bit by bit, it was slow progress, but it made him feel lighter, knowing one day maybe he will remember how much she meant to her and be the proper man she wanted. Sometimes this hope is brief as other days; despair often takes over. " I should cut my hair...I look homeless..."

Steve admittedly spent some time working on the sketching, adding smaller indiscriminate details of other customers that were lingering around behind laptops, and every time wondering about their backstories, their desires to lead them to work in that particular position. What drove them to look like they hadn't slept all night. Maybe cramming?

He wasn't going to ask, but he did enjoy piecing theories together of people's backstories, even for his own amusement and creativity to run wild.

The girl that Steve had gotten the recommendations from took a seat nearby him. Steve flashed her a friendly smile and glanced back to his sketchbook before feeling her looking at him. Perhaps wondering what he was drawing? He glanced at her from the corner of his eye as she sat down to enjoy her treats, glancing up to the other employee starting their shift.

"I noticed that you're also interested in art?" He asked her, nodding to his sketchbook in hopes of trying to break the ice.

Charlotte sighed, turning with her mug in hand and leaning on the counter. "I know you physically did it. But I know who you are." She told him, taking a drink before setting her mug aside. "The James Barnes that I know would have never done any of that if HYDRA hadn't messed with your mind." She told him giving a nod as she got some pans out and dug around to set to work.

"As I said, everything that happened from when you fell was out of your control. You've got nothing to apologize to me about." Charlotte told him as she set to work ensuring Bucky ate something before he did anything that he planned on doing that day. God knew that feeding a supersoldier was a Herculean effort, but an effort she was glad to put in.

She almost dropped an egg when he spoke again. He remembered the night they met. It wasn't much, but it was definitely a start. A well wanted start. "That's right." She confirmed. "We met at Guy's Pub in London, you needed a break from Steve and the rest of the Commandos and I needed a night to forget everything that was going on in France. You ended up knocking out a guy that was trying to grope me and I ended up buying you a beer in thanks." She laughed at the memory.

She turned a warm gaze Bucky's way as she started mixing batter together for pancakes. "I don't think you look homeless." She told him. "But, if it will make you feel lighter, by all means get it cut." She told him. "You look great either way." She added to herself, not often making flirtatious comments out of fear of making Bucky uncomfortable, but thinking he could use the self esteem boost.

Corinne had taken a bite into her doughnut while watching Steve sketch; just watching an artist at work is oddly entertaining. Until he looked up from her sketchbook and stared in her direction. She was caught red-handed staring at him. It was the second time in the past few hours she felt hot with embarrassment. Her eyes averted her gaze down to her lap, a bit guilty as it was rude to stare at people. She admitted with a nod she was, in fact, curious about his sketchbook. Corinne eventually found a sliver of courage to speak, feeling awkward.

" I don't see many artists in the cafe. We usually get college students and employees from nearby offices." Corinne finally speaks, her cheeks flushed from embarrassment, always like an open book or so many of her co-workers claimed while they teased her over small things. However, it was true, not many artists were on this side of the city; they preferred places like the galleries, museums, exciting architecture, parks, specialty art stores where they sold over-the-top paintbrushes and high-quality paints.

" I didn't think someone like you would have an appreciation for the visual arts...it wasn't made clear in the history books that you held an interest beyond getting into the military. I guess a lot of things are often lost to time, aren't they?" Corinne attempted to continue the conversation by testing the waters.

James gave one of his rarer smiles, the one the signified that the old Bucky still lurked beneath the trauma and regrets, the man that wanted to do the right thing and right the wrong he had made. As Steve called it, the one that used to go out dancing with girls and talk to them with a level of confidence that Steve before the serum. " I remember that jerk had it coming the way he wouldn't leave you alone and kept insisting...probably already had one too many."

He touched his hair at the comment; he hadn't had a proper cut since the 40's it was time. James would be lying if he said he would miss the extra hair he did not need. It just felt right to go back to shorter hair. Bits of his old personality slipped out without realizing it. " Doll, even you have to admit I looked a lot better with shorter hair."

James slowly got up to refill his cup of coffee, the apartment had a small kitchen and it was difficult not to bump into the other person sometimes, thankfully the coffee maker wasn't too close to the stove to cause issues. James turned over his shoulder and spoke. " Are you adjusting to the future, alright? I mean, so much has changed, and the technology is quite advanced...It will be challenging to figure out things identity and work...not many want to hire the former winter soldier."

Steve set his sketchbook down, unable to hide his amusement at her being flustered. Though she was right, not many artists were up this way, preferring Manhattan for its art scene over Brooklyn, but Steve enjoyed the quiet. Not many anally retentive people in Brooklyn trying to correct his technique, or harass the former Captain America.

"Oh, then by all means," Steve reached out to show her his sketches with a grin stifling a soft chuckle. "I tend to keep to sketching myself. It's kinda relaxed me for the longest time." He explained. "Not many museums would have that information about me."

"I keep to Brooklyn, really. Not many people harass you for sketching here over Manhattan." He pointed out. "And honestly, I'm best known in Manhattan as Captain America. Here, here I can be Steve Rogers." He added tapping his pencil against the table and taking another sip of coffee.

"That's because many people know Captain America, and Steve Rogers is a near-perfect stranger that someone's never met." He told her brightly. "There's a lot people don't know about me."

Charlotte brightened when a sliver of the old Bucky came to the surface. "He really did, you got to him before I could kick him in the unmentionables." She gave a soft laugh, catching a glance towards Bucky as he examined his hair.

Sure, his statement was right. But she wanted him to make the decision to cut his hair because he wanted to. Not because it would make someone else happy. "That may be true, James," She conceded. "But I would much rather you make that decision based on what you want. Make a choice for yourself." She smiled to him glad to see her old James coming through a bit.

Charlotte stepped aside to give him space, something she subconsciously did these days to let him make decisions regarding physical contact. After that initial hug and how stressed it seemed to make him, she was determined to ensure any sort of interaction was initiated by him, simply to ensure he was comfortable. "I'm adjusting alright." She mused giving him a soft smile as she continued on with frying some bacon, leaving batter to the side for after. "Thankfully, I've managed a couple of friends in the building, and the one in the next building over so I've been integrating a bit." She smiled pausing at James' plight for employment.

"You know, you're in New York. Land of opportunity, you always told me." She reminded him. "Finding employment may be hard...so why not employ yourself?" She asked. "Start your own business to you won't need to be reliant on someone else?" She suggested.

Arinae watched him set the sketchbook down to continue their conversation. Although she was surprised that Steve allowed her to take a peek into his sketchbook, one of the most intimate things an artist could let someone see. It showed their process, their works in progress, their mistakes and how they interpret them, how much they improved with each drawing...in many ways, it was a doorway into one's soul. She cautiously looks through it. Clearly, there is quite a bit of talent, a lot more than what history would suggest. If things were different, he could have been an artist for sure.

"It seems not. History seems to focus entirely on you being the first super-soldier who essentially played a pivotal part in winning the second war. You are a good artist, though, did you ever consider art school" Corinne knew the story told in the book, but beyond that, there is nothing else mentioned besides that his father died in the first world war due to mustard gas and his mother died of TB.

"I am pretty sure most of the world knows who you are at this point, considering what you have done since...well, you re-emerged in 2012; I'm surprised that you don't have reporters swarming you." Corinne stated in a low voice, not wanting to alert other patrons and cause a scene, considering the man is many things and people don't have much shame when it comes to approaching who they consider celebrities.

James looked up at her, no longer focused on his hair, and spoke. "I really don't know what I want anymore. I was gone for five years only to be back in a world that views me differently. I spent years on the run both from Hydra and authorities. I-I don't really no how to get away from always looking over my shoulder and feeling the need to run away, lacking trust in people around you. It is hard."

It was difficult to admit these things about himself, how he still felt unsafe, knowing that some people still held Hydra's ideals or those that benefitted from Hydra still out there, speaking of which that woman is not getting her re-election. When he heard she was making friends, he felt relief; James had been worried that Charlotte was isolated when he was out to his court-mandated appointments or simply making amends with people. He only really trusted Steve and Charlotte because they had a history with them. James had been strong lip with the state-ordered appointments giving only enough to satisfy them..afraid they would find a reason to lock him up.

" That was before inflation." He joked weakly; it was confirmed in the modern world; things were much harder. It seemed big corporations crushed small independent businesses while the government watched on collecting taxes. Today it took a lot to start a business. He did things like fix things while being paid under the table for the time being until he could find more stable employment. " Besides, these days it takes a lot of money to even get a business off the ground, and you need permits for your permits, it seems."

Steve grinned softly as he watched her look over his sketches, thinking back to how his mom used to love watching him draw, hanging up his sketches...how he put some of her treasured pieces into her coffin when she had died. He missed her, but the affectionate look in Corrine's face reminded him of her, in a good way, of course.

"Yeah, I did." He gave a soft laugh. "I was contemplating it heavily, but money was tight in the depression, even though Bucky was gonna offer me the tuition money. But then the war happened, and you know the rest." He explained with a soft grin.

Steve gave a soft laugh and simply shrugged at the thought of being swarmed. "After everything that happened, there has to be a lot more to those reporter's days than simply swarming a man who wants to be normal for a while." He explained. "We're not really special, our circumstances may be extraordinary but we're just people just like you." He shrugged. "But it also helps that I keep a relatively low profile here when the reporters are more content in Manhattan." He joked.

Charlotte gave a soft nod, looking back to the stories that Steve had told her of the five years Bucky had been dead. "I know." She murmured. "But the world is your oyster, James." She reminded him. "You can do what you want with it." She gave him a tentative smile and dumped a plate of bacon aside to fry a few eggs.

She knew how concerned Bucky was about her being left alone so long while he was out making amends or seeing Doctor Raynor, but she was giving the friends thing a good fair shake after the betrayal she had undergone in France that left her parents carted off to their death. For the longest time, she couldn't really trust many people, aside from Bucky and Steve after what happened. But nowadays, things were a lot different. Hitler and his agents weren't looming over every corner to shoot at anyone who pissed them off.

"Inflation." She scoffed shaking her head sadly. "Greed is going to be the death of us all, I swear." She huffed reaching for the salt and pepper. "But we've survived worse." She reminded him. "It may take some time, but we're going to be okay." She assured him. "Hell, I've been going and tutoring French for some high school kids and that's put plenty on the table." She smiled to him.

" Everyone seems to know your life story...doesn't that bother you? To have your life on display for everyone to see and judge?" Corinne had a difficult time believing this man was entirely fine with the limelight forced upon him by government officials and the media, how society idolized him without actually knowing him, declaring him a paragon when he is just a man. It never made sense.

She didn't have to deal with tabloids nor attention from the media; she was a plain face girl that could quickly disappear in a crowd of people. It has always been that way. Corinne learnt early on that most attention was probably was not good. Due to her experiences in foster care and later adoption. She couldn't comprehend normalcy in its most valid form because she wasn't normal....it's not normal to see people no one else can, its not normal that every time these unseen individuals touch her skin, they leave behind bruises. Its not normal to see past events the way she does...Reality sets in; this conversation will end, she will go back to work and silently have to deal with her abnormalities again. Working at the cafe is the only normal thing in her life at this point.

" Most of the celebrities tend to live in Manhattan in their one million dollar condos, doing rich people things." Corinne comments rolling her eyes, finding rich people to be quite a frivolous bunch with more money than brains. Not to mention rich people tend to make the worst tippers from her experience. " I don't think normal would be the best word...because no one is normal...there is no baseline to judge it. Aside from alien invasions and world-ending events not being normal. Because if it becomes a normal thing...I'm moving back to Canada. Nothing ever happens in Canada."

He sat down at the table with his new mug of coffee in his hand. " You think so; it's not easy when employers take one look at your arm and realize crippled or worst they ask if I am James Barnes. Most veteran associations don't want to touch my case...Charlotte. It's why I do repairs, no questions asked for dirt cheap, because people won't ask who I am... it's why I hide my arm. It is not normal."

James smiled when she said greed will be the death of us. " There are only a few things in life that are consistent, death and taxes. We can seem to cheat death, but I am not trying my luck with the IRS...they got Al Capone that way."

There were days he forced himself to be more positive; there were days he had to fight through the mental fog to feel like a person with agency. Thankfully, today did not seem to be one of those days; he felt oddly despite the night terror. James pondered a few moments in silence; he had squared a few bills away for a special occasion. Maybe today can be one of those days. " There is this Italian place, not overly pricy...but it would be a nice place to dine...so you don't have to cook or endure my attempts at cooking."

Steve looked to Corrine with a soft hum at the question, unsure of where he stood on the fact that everyone knew everything they could care about his life, how high on his pedestal he seemed to be to normal people. "You get used to it." He admitted looking at her raising a brow. "Not much you can really do about it aside from lay low, y'know?" He asked.

His eyes turned back to his sketchbook again giving a small grin. "Besides, my story isn't the most tragic. There are people I've met that were trafficked, raped, abused, orphaned...Honestly, I can say I got off lucky, real lucky." He admitted looking back. "The closest person I lost after my parents, was my best friend, but he wasn't lost at all." He sighed. "Just, just a bit scarred from what they did to him." He'd forever feel guilty about not jumping down after Bucky to stop HYDRA from getting to him. But hindsight is 20/20."

His thoughts were interrupted by the musings of the rich in Manhattan, prompting a laugh. "You're right on that one. Some do come from wealthy business and have a brain for that, but others, I'll admit they come from old money with no inkling how to use it. Pretty sad, honestly." He shook his head grinning before taking a moment to pause. "So, you're Canadian? I'm sorry, I never caught your name. Seems rude for me to be going off like this and not at least know that much about you." He grinned.

Charlotte shook her head. "You'd think that with what you were made to do after they sent you over there against your will, they'd at least be willing to help you. If anyone is to blame for what you went through it's this God damned government." She told him. "And they can't be bothered to help you. There's another level of hell waiting for those bastards, I assure you." Charlotte declared, setting her half empty mug down a bit rougher than she intended in her irritation.

"That they did, but to be fair he had gotten away with it for so long, they were merely looking to find something to get him on so he'd be off the streets." She pointed out, remembering reading that story up in the library before glancing back to Bucky at the idea of a night out.

"James Buchanan Barnes, are you asking me on a date?" She teased with a grin. "I must say it'll be good to get out of the apartment some." She agreed. "Might do you some good as well." She reminded him. "I'd love to."

" I don't think I could get used to that; I've always been a quiet person and preferred to keep to myself. I don't think I could handle being in the public eye at all." Corinne explained softly her feelings about what she could handle when it came to people. She didn't have the best means of dealing with her own emotions...she just buried them until they bubbled over. " I think you need to work on what laying low means...my co-worker recognized you in seconds of getting back from her surprise breaks."

She quietly listens to him as he speaks; no one's story can entirely be judged by the stories of others in terms of how bad or how good a person has it. Everyone has their problems, sorrows, the deep lingering regrets, the doubts and uncertainty that dwell within us all. It would be unfair to compare them to a person that has it worse; it would be a disservice to both people who had suffered significant losses in their life. " Loss and sorrow are still tragedies upon themselves. Everyone deals with different hardships in life. Diminishing your own experiences when compared to people who had it worst is a disservice to yourself. Those experiences still cause wounds and doubts."

Despite being young, Corinne had a level of wisdom beyond her years in a sense, a result of being forced to age quickly from the time she was a child. All due to circumstances beyond her control and, to some extent, still beyond her control. Her voice dropped lower out of respect for his privacy and didn't want the patrons to turn their attention on to Steve " You mean James Buchnam Barnes? The media has been covering his hearings with the Senate..."

There was a pause; rich people always held this air about them Arinae never quite liked them as these people often viewed those of lower economic status as beneath them or felt the rules of society merely did not apply to them. Like many from the colleges would come here asking dates, often ignoring the no, hoping it would be a yes if they flashed enough money. " I feel like that some that are rich believe they able to ignore the rules of society sadly it seems they are right.

James did not know why he was denied help from the Veteran Affairs office. However, he suspected there were still Hydra supporters in government that came out unscathed by the Shield file leaks. Perhaps it was because they assumed James would go back to fighting after therapy, but this time for the Avengers. Maybe it was because he was enhanced due to hydra experiments and did not think he would need help to reintegrate into society. If it weren't for Steve, he shuddered where it would be at. " There hands are tied considering I am a situation no one has ever had to deal with until me brainwashing was believed to be something only in comic books and sci-fi novels. Now it is proven to be real no one really knows how to handle it. Wakanda was able to remove the programing...but it is like the training is still there, and there is a chance that...it might not be gone. That is what people are afraid of."

" Thank that man, we aren't dying because of expired milk." He joked as he took a sip of his second cup of coffee, feeling in the mood to be cheeky. " And probably other things that would kill us if it did not have expiration labels, sometimes it takes a criminal to make changes in government...it's shouldn't be the case, but it often is the case."

" Is it a date?" He decided to mock confusion, one of the reasons it took forever to find a woman that could tolerate his sense of humour before he lost it, that is. " Well, you need a break from cooking for an old man like myself and well my cooking is whatever comes out of a box. It will be my treat, and well, it has been a while since I have been able to sit in public."

Last edited:
Steve gave a soft chuckle at the slight call towards the coworker and her impromptu breaks. "It is what it is." He assured Corrine. "But it looks like I may have to resort back to wearing my ball cap and sunglasses." He sighed. "Ah, well, at least the place isn't swarmed with reporters at the new whereabouts of the former Avenger, right?" He asked making sure to give Corrine's coworker a look warning her about calling anybody, more than a little thankful that it was getting a bit busy for her to take another "break" to call some reporters and tip them off.

Steve wished he could agree with everyone having it just as bad, but how bad did he really have it? He wanted to go to war, he found a way to squeak in thanks to Erksine. He wasn't stolen by Hydra or made into their assassin. The worst that happened to him was a plane crash of his own causing to stop the Tesseract from getting into Hydra's hands. He gave a soft smile at the mention of James. "Oh, yeah, that's Bucky. You might know already, but he's my best friend, has been since we were in school." He waved off. "He's really not as bad as the press is painting him out to be."

Steve shook his head at the idea of richer people getting to have a society all their own. "Well, thankfully, it seems that the tides are changing on that one." He pointed out. "Plenty of rich celebrities are seeing crimes they committed years ago to be seen by trial." He smiled. "There's hope for humanity yet."

"Their hands shouldn't be tied." Charlotte sighed. "You are a goddamn veteran. One of the last of World War 2, for shit's sake. And a former prisoner of war to boot." She told him getting him a glass of juice as she finished flipping the first few pancakes so he could eat something. "And how are they to know how you're struggling for employment because of how the press is screwing you?" She asked. It infuriated her that being an office meant solely for the affair of veterans would be so keen on screwing over someone who most likely needed their help the most.

"Hey, I wasn't talking shit about Capone." She told him. "I just told you what I read in the library." She gave a grin, thinking to what a common criminal had to do to change the world. "It's a shame that a mobster had to get his mitts into expiration dates for them to change anything about it." She rolled her eyes.

Her face softened at the old wisecracks James was sending her back to. "You might be pushing 107, but you're only as old as you feel, you big lug." She joked, setting a plate of food down for him. "But sounds like a date." She agreed kissing his cheek before she really had time to think about it and blushing. "Sorry." She murmured going to finish the last of the pancakes so she could sit and eat too.

" It might be a good idea to avoid the hassle of people bothering you all the time because I am pretty sure my coworkers will be making posts all over social media." Corinne comments carefully, warning him that there is a chance that her coworkers will blab on social media, possibly resulting in paparazzi appearing ready to take photos of the former Avenger. " Although I'm sure that my boss would curse them out and beat them off with a broom."

Arinae listened to Steve talk about his best friend with a great deal of fondness despite what had happened to James Barnes and his associations with Hydra. " It seems the media is taking pleasure in demonizing him. Despite the fact, the government has cleared him of wrongdoing... It seems like people love to tear each other down, don't they?"

Corinne glanced off nervously, looking at the sketchbook; she would never show her sketchbook to another person, only because it revealed her strange process. Corinne was self-conscious about what people thought of her and constantly worried about assumptions. She then glances up at Steve. " I do operate a booth in central park to sell my artworks. Um..."

" The media would turn on anyone who decides to help a killer Charlotte; they already struggle to get funds to help out other veterans they don't need a PR nightmare." James isn't one to fight hard for himself, at least not anymore. He just didn't think he was deserving of help after all the horrific things he had done in the name of Hydra. He wanted to have Steve abandon him in Germany leave him to his fate, despite missing him so much. " I just don't think I deserve the help...not after what I did. The media is right...about a few things...but I do feel remorse...the guilt it eats."

James nodded as he took another sip, staring at the meal in front of him but uncertain if he should start eating. " To be fair, the expired milk nearly killed a child relative of his, so there is that...you know what they say the only reason why criminals cause change is because most of the government is crooked in some way...more so since Hydra involved themselves in politics."

"...At my age, I should chase children off the lawn and complain about my back." James joked before leaning back in his chair. Although he could not finish his words, he is cut off by a surprise kiss on the cheeks. James stated blankly and responded cautiously, nervous about the contact. " No need to apologize....just wasn't expecting it, that is all...It feels right when you do it."

Steve gave a soft chuckle. "I'd absolutely pay to see that, and probably keep coming if your boss is keen on beating off the reporters." Steve teased, already leaning back to picture the sight of several reporters being beaten away by a little lady with a broom, much like his and Bucky's mischievous days.

Thoughts of Bucky did bring a frown to his face. "They did." He admitted. "He was cleared, but it doesn't feel like he really was, especially with how bad he and Charlotte are struggling. He can't find a job. It isn't right. Especially when he wouldn't have been in that position if he weren't drafted." Steve sighed shaking the thought from his head for now.

An artist? He gave a soft grin at the idea and looked back over to her. "Well, then, I'll have to come to see those pieces for myself. Seems only fair since I showed mine?" He offered, really just looking for an excuse to see the kind soul again.

"Then the media is wrong." Charlotte sighed taking a deep breath. "You were a prisoner of war. A brainwashed assassin. And that was after several Nazis you killed with the Commandos, they don't go after Veterans Affairs for them." She pointed out. "The media are disgusting. If I get my way I'd give them something to put in their fucking papers." She growled taking a moment to compose themselves.

She shook her head again, seeming to be unable to stop with the amount of nonsense in this country's politics. "Government has always been corrupt." She admitted. "But it takes a special sort of evil to turn an innocent man into Public Enemy Number 1 when he had absolutely no control over what was done to or by him." She took a seat, taking a deep drink of her juice to calm her anger before she paused at the look on Bucky's face.

"I know, but I didn't want you to have to venture outside of your comfort zone." She explained gently turning to nibble a bit on a piece of bacon. "I want you to have some license in what your comfort levels are, really." She added. "To be able to say no to something."

" Yeah, my boss, he seriously has an issue with loiters that simply hang around and cause trouble for the customers and employees. He can usually intimidate them because he is a burly man, but he really likes dogs...so we have an unofficial doggy menu for customers who tie their dogs by that light post outside while they get a coffee." Corinne explained that despite the boss appearing scary, he did have a lot of soft spots; I mean, not every employer gives employees discounts on food and drinks. She never saw him yell at an employee but has done to customers who were too belligerent with employees.

" But between you and I, his mother is by far the scariest. She is a co-owner who treats the employees like her kids. If she is around and sees someone being unnecessarily rude...she lets them have it and offers no mercy. She has a ban list." Corinne whispered, explaining a little bit about there being technically two bosses.

" He is a popular topic considering how long the Winter soldier was operating for...some say he was responsible for JFK even. I'm not sure how much truth it holds, but people aren't sure about the mind control defence...but it is scary how someone can break the mind and remould it..." Corinne had been hesitant about being in public too much since the Shield leaks because extensive surveillance was carried out. There was a list of people deemed threats or Hydra had interests in...it is scary to think what would have happened if they were successful.

" Ah well, my works...are a bit odd where mostly collectors or historians seem to hold an interest...they are great talking pieces with people, however. Nothing like Jackson Pollock works... it is more...hard to explain." Corinne never was able to describe her paintings process without revealing too much.

"The media will continue their story coverage until something better comes along, which could be any day now. There is little we can do about them....and what they say because their words hold some truth, and we cannot afford litigation with the media." James tried to calm down the dame who got fired up over the media. It was difficult for them to have peace; thus, James did everything to be on time for court hearings and appointments to avoid the press spinning things against him. Yet if he wanted to, he could go on the run and disappear once more, the likelihood of being found by anyone unlikely, but James also had Charlotte to worry about...so no, he couldn't just run.

" The government has a right to be suspicious of me too, considering Brainwashing is a flimsy defence if it weren't for the Avengers having Hydra's old research on to the subject, those hearings would have gone much differently." James pointed out that the brainwashing had been the most difficult to prove of all his defences during the hearings. It is why his conditions for his freedom had been strict.

James knew he suffered from issues when it came to communicating anything with another person, it had not always been the cause, but between being brainwashed, the social isolation of being in cyro when not assassinating targets and generally overall a non-functioning person, his understanding of consent towards himself and communicating discomfort they were still working on. " But it's familiar....I don't know. I'm sorry."

Steve warmed at the idea of Corrine's boss, gazing back towards the man with a nod. "It's refreshing to see someone, especially a mother-son duo treating their employees so well." He explained looking up towards her again. "It's a sort of culture shown back in my day. It's refreshing to see." He mused happily.

"Don't worry, doll, I'll keep your secret." He promised with a soft smile shaking his head at the idea of Bucky and JFK.

"It is a good rumour, especially with the conspiracy theories surrounding the assassination." Steve mused. "But, I can't confirm or deny he did because I don't know. And, Bucky doesn't need to have to relive what he's done more than necessary. I just feel bad that he's going through all of this." He admitted.

His face lightened at the talk of art again, Steve giving a soft grin. "I studied a bit about Pollock when I was bedridden as a kid, followed the shows in the paper." He admitted. "But to be fair, it may be hard to explain, but half the fun about art is some varying interpretations of it, am I right?" He asked.

Charlotte sighed. "You're right, you're right. But that doesn't make what they're doing okay." She told him, shaking her head. How could it be so hard for a man who went through so much in the name of his country end up being cast away when he needs his country most? It made her sick to realize how horrible he was being treated.

"Flimsy defence, yes, but technically you weren't in sound mind as the Winter Soldier," She pointed out. "At least you knew that they wouldn't have put you to death for what happened." She made a face at the idea. "Forget that last bit, that was too horrific to even think about." She shuddered. "But thankfully, Hydra grew sloppy, and in the end Hydra's stupidity got you off. You have freedom, James, and it's a beautiful thing once you can maneuver around the chaos." She smiled.

Charlotte shook her head at the apology. "You have absolutely no reason to be sorry for having boundaries." She told him bluntly. "You are allowed to say no, and it's my job to ensure that that boundary is minded. If anyone should apologize it's me to you. I don't want to put you in an uncomfortable situation." She explained. "I want you to get used to saying no. Like Raynor said, it'll help get your autonomy back."

The boss wandered around with a bit of a rotation in his life hip, keeping a sharp eye on Corinne's co-worker to avoid another disappearing act in the middle of a rush. He opened another cash just as another co-worker came to start a shift controlling the lineups and assisted in making the more complex drinks orders. Once things calmed, he got out behind the counter, surprisingly wearing khaki shorts, and his left leg is a prosthetic, and began to sweep, keeping himself busy.

" It's not right to spread them either. Not sure when if the media will stop. I bet it isn't easy having the world be against you under normal circumstances, but the entire case is blurred with things straight out of a science fiction novel. People are afraid to have him walk the streets because they don't know for themselves what is true or not." Corinne spoke softly before drinking her frappe, even she was uncertain about the whole ordeal, if actual governments will want to exploit it, if not...then there was someone incredibly dangerous out there.

Corinne listened to him talk, and he is quite correct that art was based on interpretation and creative intent, and sometimes they can exist in the same space despite the different variations that may exist with the art piece. " You are right, but I always get a lot of confusing questions when it comes to my art...it's not popular or anything because it's not as cool as doing a sketch of someone in 30 minutes."

Her break would be ending soon, she hands back his sketchbook carefully. It's been a while since Corinne had a prolonged conversation with someone that wasn't merely a co-worker at work or a nosy neighbour in her apartment complex. It was nice, and maybe they will cross paths again. " I need to go back to work now; it was nice talking to you."

" It doesn't, but there isn't much legal recourse we can take due to freedom of speech and not having the money to afford a Lawyer. Honestly, I don't even think the police would be much help. It's why I don't want us to be together too often in public...I rather them not drag someone else's name into the mud like they attempted to do with Steve." James was right. There was little that could be done unless things escalated to them being violent first, but he rather not have to fight. He was thankful their attempts to Slander Steve were quickly shut down by the government despite being a fugitive at one point due to him.

" We both know it held by a thread even with the evidence that was Hydra's own files because this is the first time this defence because viable in a court now that there is a precedence for brainwashing you know people will attempt to use it. I think that is the governments' concern, and they might use the media to push doubts, knowing I can never be prosecuted for the same time twice. However, I suspect lawsuits." James was concerned that his freedom might be wasted in legislation for his crimes over half a century, not to mention he did not know what to even do with his freedom because he did not feel free. Hydra still existed, and he feared they would come back as they are boogeymen from his nightmares.

" My boundaries are mostly when I am still high-strung from a nightmare...I could have my reflexes react before my brain realizes what is happening. I can seriously hurt you or worst." He glanced at his metal arm; while it was no longer the arm that Hydra had given him, sometimes he still saw it...like a ghost haunting him. A part of James wished he could have stayed in Wakanda and away from the modern world's problems, living a simple existence, not having to worry anymore. He did know what the word no mean, just he hardly felt the need to use it anymore. " I know what Raynor said...but I don't think that part of myself will come back...the evidence showed changes in my brain in how it functions now..."

Bucky watched the owner with a warm smile, noticing the prosthetic and immediately thinking back to his friend, at least he didn't need to worry about Bucky's independence. Perhaps he could talk to the owner about the chances of Bucky finding some work here.

"It really isn't." Steve agreed glancing back to Corrine. "It's not fair how he's being treated. If people just stopped and got to know him, is his sense of humour a bit dry? Yeah. He's got his faults, just like everyone else. But I promise he's living with that guilt all the time." He shook his head. "But there's still some of that kid I knew a hundred years ago in there. Deep down." He finished his coffee and bit into his third sandwich happily. "Hopefully something bigger will come about that will get them off Bucky's tail for a while. Maybe then he'll be able to find work."

"Art in any form is something to be discussed. The technique is a topic that many people vary on when it comes to what they'd sooner watch as to what they'd use to work." He pointed out, watching her get up at the end of her break. "It was really nice talking to you too." He agreed, happy to find someone aside from a gossipy neighbour, a random kid, or any of the Avengers, Bucky or Charlotte to talk to. "I'm sure I will be. If for nothing else than for this in the morning." He wiped his mouth and got up. "I'll see you around, Corrine." He said, tossing his cup and starting back out on his way.

Charlotte sighed. She both loved and hated when James had a point. It varied on the day. But this day she hated that he was right. Part of her was sorely tempted just to try and see if there was somewhere where the two of them could run away, start new lives under new names and just live like normal people, but she wouldn't just drop that bomb on Steve after so long trying to help Bucky. "I know, I know." She huffed, trying not to look too uneasy at the idea of lawsuits. "Let's hope they don't file lawsuits. As you've said, we can't afford a lawyer, never mind the compensation these people will be wanting." She murmured.

"As for my reputation," She gave a cockeyed grin. "It's gone through a lot worse than being with James Barnes." She pointed out. "Don't forget, I was on the run too, back in the day." She winked. "If I wasn't, we wouldn't have met."

She understood James' boundaries, all too well, especially the nightmares. She didn't want to make him uncomfortable just so she could be comfortable. If that meant waiting for him to be comfortable with her enough to not react when she touched him, or kissed him, that was fine with her. "I know, but I don't want you just stepping out of your comfort zone to make me comfortable." She told him with a soft smile, sighing at the truth coming out. "I know." She murmured. "But being able to say no and make choices for yourself is part of being autonomous. That's something that Hydra took from you for years. She just wants you to be comfortable saying no to things again."

" I do hope that with time your friend will be treated better. He deserves some peace after what he has been through...so enjoy retirement." She picked up her frappe and glanced at him. " It has been a while since I got to speak about art and have someone understand...it was fun, thank you.

Corinne did enjoy the conversation. However, it couldn't last forever, and she had to return to work. She gave a slight wave to Steve before clocking back in. Corinne attempted to ignore her co-worker on cash as she was known to ask questions then gossip later. She spent most of the time in the back preparing the items for the afternoon menu. It was tedious work making sure cupcakes had a cute design and the pies were evenly sliced.

Eventually, her eight-hour shift ended, but her work sadly wasn't over the moment she clocked out from the coffee shop. Corinne went to her tiny apartment and began to collect her art supplies and finished paintings using different bags to carry them all down to the park to enjoy the sunny day while it lasted. So hopefully, make at least a sale on some of her paintings or quick sketches. It took time to set things up in the park; since she did not have a permit, she needed to pack up if the police told her to leave. Her booth was nothing special and often times overlooked by more interesting booths.

" I suppose...but these days, people are different and won't stop any time soon." James felt terrible for putting her through all of this, along with having to adjust to the modern world. It wasn't fair to her, even if she was handling the situation well. " I guess you are right...but things have calmed down recently.

" I know what she wants from me. It's harder to let go of the past when those affected by what I did still live families that never got the closure as to why their relative was killed or how their bodies never were found. I didn't just end lives...I destroyed families. I can't move on until it is made right." James knew it would take years, and even then, no apology would bring back a loved one he took away from someone. " I know how to say no, doesn't mean I want to use it unless it is something I am not fine with..."

It was bit early for these heavy topics, but it needed to be said. He didn't want her chasing a ghost that might not come back, despite the progress that has been made in the past few months. James didn't want to get her hopes up. At least with a dinner tonight perhaps he can make it up to her for putting her through all of this stress these past few months. James wanted her to be happy and knew this whole situation had been difficult and it keeps him up a night still. " Hmm, so what is the plan for the day while I go out into the world and try to make amends?"

Steve once again gave a nod and smiled to Corrine, sticking around just long enough to ensure that she got back to work safely before dipping out to return to his run and the other errands he had to run for the day.

By nightfall, Steve was still restless, unable to keep from contemplating much else aside from that morning, deciding for a bit to simply take a walk, hoping to tucker himself out as he walked through the park, occasionally helping a homeless vet with some money for a meal for the night, turning back towards the bridge and catching a few artists on the grass working their magic.

Thankfully, this time he was disguised with a ball cap and glasses as he looked over at several pieces of work before catching the sight of the girl from the coffee shop, prompting a soft grin to his face as he continued on towards her with a warm grin. "Well, hello again." He greeted.

Charlotte hated it when she had to agree with Bucky, but when it came down to brass tacks, he was right. He'd most likely never forgive himself for what he had done as the Winter Soldier, even if everyone around him forgave him due to the circumstances.

And on that same stroke, it was way too early to be discussing this sort of thing. She had barely finished her first coffee of the day, and she was in no mood to actively start an argument even she had to admit she'd never win. Whether by the facts, or Bucky's being more stubborn than even her, she couldn't tell which. So she opted to simply answer the question regarding her plans for the day.

"Not a whole lot of anything, really." She answered with a shrug. "Make a grocery run so I can grab some creamer, I have a book or two to return to the library, maybe start getting some food together for Thanksgiving, maybe see about meeting up with some of the girls for a coffee and quilting, essentially just killing time." She admitted with a grin.

Corinne glanced up from her sketchbook a first confused due to the voice being so familiar, then it clicked that this man was Steve from the Cafe. Corinne gave the man a shy smile as she bushed back her auburn hair behind her ears. She then spoke softly. " I see you are out enjoying the weather or did you come to admire the artworks that artists are selling? It's nice to see a familiar face."

The paintings she had on display were exciting interpretations of the past and present. There were three sister paintings, one where the buildings are black and white with older architecture of what New York buildings looked like over 70 years ago, while the people walking its streets wore modern clothes and filled with vibrant colours. The second image had modern roads that were vibrant with colours, then the people were black and white wearing much older clothes, ranging from the pre-second war up until the victorian area. The third painting was a mixture of the previous two, but it was more chaotic. The other paintings were more normal, like a vase with flowers, nature scenes and portraits.

Corinne was self-conscious of her work and rubbed the back of her neck nervously as she spoke. " Um, so here are some of my works...you can take a look at them, and if you have any questions, I can try my best to answer them."

James dropped the subject as it was putting a damper on his mood, realizing there wasn't much he could do to make up for the lives lost. Maybe the haircut will make him feel a bit better, if only for a few moments. Breakfast was primarily silent after that as he tried to organize his thoughts and pay attention to what Charlotte was saying. He responds with a ghost of a smile. " As long as you get out of the house and enjoy yourself. Just be careful the world isn't really safe, even in times of peace."

After breakfast, he got his leather jacket, put it on, and a pair of leather gloves, and left the apartment. He did say goodbye just as he shut the door. His first stop was the barber, chopping off years of hair growth in moments; James felt a weight had been taken off his shoulders. When the cut was done, he looked into the mirror and couldn't believe how much closer he looked to his old self...James kept a neutral expression as he paid for his cut and left the barbershop quickly before the man realized who he was. He was not going to risk reporters knowing what his updated appearance is for as long as he could...so Charlotte could have some normalcy, and they could go out in public together like tonight...

Shit...tonight. James realized he was going to have to put a bit of effort and get flowers...chocolates? No, it isn't valentines day. He went to a flower shop; although it was quite the walk from the barbers, it would be worth it to see a smile on Charlotte's face. He searched through various flowers; red roses were the best for dates...but it needed something to go with it; baby's breath he felt added something.

The day was spent preparing for the date; after the haircut and flowers, he returned to the apartment to change into more appropriate clothes. James hopes he had not gotten rusty regarding his dating skills because that would make things a bit awkward tonight. He changed into dark brown slacks and a cream turtleneck knowing his arm needed to be covered in public. He glanced up at the clock waiting for Charlotte to come home; he had to put the roses in the water as they had begun to wilt...probably wasn't the best idea to have bought them so early.

Steve smiled at the girl that he had encountered that morning, pausing and looking over many of her pieces before glancing up and smiling at her question. "A bit of both, actually." He admitted with a slight grin, eyes drawn to the picture of the New York skyline from the forties.

"This," He murmured, gazing towards the historical pieces in awe. He couldn't help but be impressed by the idea of the accuracy shown in the paintings. From both the buildings in Manhattan during the war to the clothing worn in the Victorian era.

"These are amazing." He praised her, finally turning to meet her eyes as he ran a hand through his hair. "Absolutely...incredible." He glanced back to the skyline painting. "I do want to know, though, what inspired all of these? The historical pieces?" He asked calmly.

Charlotte made quick work of cleaning up after breakfast was done, giving a soft goodbye as Bucky left, leaving her to do some straightening up before going to run the errands she had set out to do, coming back to put everything away before ducking out to have tea with the girls.

When her friends learned of her intentions for a date night at an Italian place, they immediately abandoned their sewing and dragged her off to get a new dress for the occasion, opting for a sensible blue dress that made Charlotte smile. Bucky had said back in the day that she always looked best in darker blues. Brings out the eyes, he claimed.

Charlie had managed to get ready and dressed at the neighbour's house oblivious to Bucky returning home until she opened the door to see the freshly groomed Sargent waiting for her, prompting her to smile. "Hey, the haircut looks good." She smiled pausing at the sight of the roses. Her favourite. "You bought flowers?" She asked with a grin, stepping forward to smell them and touch the petals. "Thank you." She grinned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back