• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Futuristic Starpath: Burning Sails [IC] [CLOSED]

"Well my dear, if it's anything like human tissue then yes, I can work with that." As he speaks, he begins undressing. His vest and SMG lay against the wall as he folds his sweater over a nearby chair. A closet in the back opens up with a hiss, white vapors shoot out as a hanger extends with his surgical garb and equipment on it. The last thing he puts on is his medical helmet, intent to be facing away from Yolandi as he dons it.

"By no means am I trying to frighten you ma'am, but I must caution you, my anesthetic may not work depending on how your synthetics function. If you do feel pain during this procedure, please let me know immediately. I'd like to treat your pain, not cause more of it." he says as he snaps a glove over his hand.

-------------------------------------------------------

Shuren bows. He mimics firing a musket while waving a flag around and planting it into the ground before making a peace sign.

"Not a clue." Vincent shrugged "So far we got a few characters we could go with. Vance seems like a right choice, he's brave, too brave. I've seen a good share of men like him die in a hail of fire. Mr. Vulkov sounds like he would fit, what with being a pirate and mercenary and all that" Vincent stops to light himself a cigarette "But he's about as loyal as a snake by the sounds of it. As soon as the money dries up, so does he. I forget, did you smoke?" He offers Albert one from the carton.

Yolandi shrugs, "I'm not feeling much pain right now, but I think that's because the pain editor kicked in since I feel kinda numb in general. As for synthetics, well, it's similar to human tissue. The muscle fibers heal on their own, but the synth-flesh is a different beast, so if you think you can seal it back up without compromising it, then be my guest." She sits on the medical table like a good patient and just waits for Typhon to finish prepping and to get working on the task at hand. She regrets the process she went through, but the alternative was far worse when she weighs the two paths she could have taken.

"Usually cigars, but I don't mind cigarettes." Albert replied, taking one. "I might just go with a gut vote for myself. To be honest, I think Vance is the way to go. He seems like a good man, even if what you describe is true. Someone in his disposition might get accustomed to these kind of fights very quickly. Plus, he seems to get along well with most people... which is important for morale." he explained before grinning. "And he cooks a mean burger, not gonna lie."

"True. But burgers don't win fights. Not from what I've seen at least. But maybe Vance will change that." Vincen't joked. "Maybe the upiry woman. Karina. She seems to carry herself well in a fight. Has those cold nerves too. You can't deny that for pirates intimidation is the name of the game."

"How cold are we talking?" Albert replied with chuckle. "Coldness helps in fighting, but maybe not in leading. ...Anyone else stand out to you?"

"Maybe Natalie or Daniel. But while those two are processional, crew might not like working with anyone from Sol as much at first. Then again, that could be overcome in time. Same goes for the others I suppose."

Shelby winced and took a little step away from Daniel when he placed his hand on her shoulder. She wasn't one for touching of any kind. Regardless, his words weren't entirely wrong, but they weren't comforting either. Get used to killing? Was that good? It seemed to be fairly bad, though as long as it made the sick feeling go away, then maybe it wasn't as bad as it seemed....

Her mind was caught up in the matter as the meeting turned to voting on a First Mate. The job at first seemed like a community manager to her, but then it sounded more like general management. If the first mate was going to be the face of the crew, they needed to be energetic and smiley. Vance probably fit that better in those regards, though he was a little... off. And perhaps too enthusiastic. She didn't know many of the people much at all, either. Olivia seemed really cool, but perhaps not first mate material. She didn't seem like she wanted that kind of position, and Shelby didn't want to vote for her and make her feel uncomfortable. Jericho was nice... but also not first mate material, either. He would probably make a decent public relations officer, though, if he wasn't so open on being a killer. Still, he had the looks and quick smile.

She grabbed some paper from Albert and stared at it for a moment, thinking over everyone she knew. Finally, she decided. Drav was her pick. The woman was calm, collected, serious, and nice. She reminded her a bit of Jackie, in a way, being a fierce protector. Drav would probably make a good first mate. She carried her vote over to Zadra.

---

"Synthetic replacements do not substitute for the sensation of f-f-f-flesh," Lucy stated simply to Jericho. She knew his position on the matter was geared towards synthetic mimicry, but she preferred the real stuff. Certainly, Jericho's synth material looked fine and realistic, but it lacked the blissful warmth of organic parts that could be applied to her own frame.

"Regardless... I-I-I will consider your sentiment on synthetics further. I may require a f-f-full evaluation of aforementioned aesthetics." Though, in Jericho's words, it would be less charming than her current appearance. And she wanted to remain the bastion of charm she currently was.

When it came time to vote, the pick was obvious for her - herself. She was created to be an overseer, administrator, and manager - along with a variety of other roles. The position of first mate did not sound entirely off from the planning and assistance she did on Karos-III. It was unfortunate that many of the others did not know this fact, as she was sure that rationally they would select a professional administrative individual for a managerial role, though she knew many would likely yield to the more experienced or likable of the pack.

In a clear, normal script, Lucy printed her name on her slip of paper and turned it over to Zadra.

In efforts to help persuade potential voters, Lucy kept her veil up to reveal the severed Upyri eyes in her skull. This way the others would feel more at ease with her personage.

"Ah, well... that does make things complicated. Some people got strong feelings towards Sol. Can't blame 'em exactly." Albert said as he looked at his scrap again before writing down Vance's name and folding it. "Well, time to participate in democracy." he said with a chuckle as he walked over to Zadra and handed her his vote.

"A coward is always a liability, especially a defector of the Empire." Shun replied to Nathalie. "I will not be doing much to dissuade him from this path, for putting too great of an effort in shall prove to be a waste of time, more than likely." The cyborg Ayr's take on the situation was unsurprisingly cold, and perhaps a bit hypocritical considering his own stance to the Empire. At the very least he seemed to think exiling cowards was one of the things they did correctly.

When it was announced that there would be a first mate, Shun tilted his head curiously on how it would be determined. A vote? Perhaps that was the democratic take on things, though he was of the opinion that there were born leaders, their life talent honed into skill to see any mission through to its completion. He had little faith that such a leader would be found through some popularity contest, yet he still figured he may as well participate as the captain suggested. "This crew's conduct continues to grow more curious by the day. Most intriguing, truthfully." he says, using his telekinesis to rip off a scrap of paper that Albert had offered, even taking the pen temporarily as it scribbled down 'VANCE' before it floated back to its owner. The paper found its way toward Zadra, casually floating in mid-air before she would take it.

Despite his recklessness the human had shown his willingness to lead as well as a desire for the position. If he wished to lead yet more raids and missions, Shun would not be remiss when it came to accompanying him yet again.

Typhon starts prepping needles, swabs, tweezers, blades, and a suture kit. Firstly, he wipes clean the wound with an iodine swab to ensure everything is clean and sterilized. Then, he inserts a needle in areas dotting around the wound, injecting it's liquid contents inside.

"So tell me, have you heard of the little election the captain has going on? She says it's for the first mate."

Yolandi watches him do this with a sort of glazed look, she seems to be lost inside her own head again. When he speaks, she snaps back into reality and asks, "Vote? Oh, I dunno, I figured the meeting was more or less done after that crewman got outed as a cowardly piece of shit. I don't know why she insists on letting him stay for his skills, it's just way too much liability. What if we're doing another boarding action and he just fucks off with the Mordred and leaves us stranded on a hostile vessel? May as well kick him out the door now and rid ourselves of the risk than to try and somehow 'mentor' him into not being a cowardly scumbag." She winces slightly at the needle pokes then again relaxes as the already latent numbness from her pain editor just gets an extra boost from the local anaesthetic.

"I mean, I'll be honest, I was pretty nervous about the boarding action we did, I don't really know anyone here and I wasn't entirely sure who I could trust enough to rely on in a fight. I suppose if I had to pick someone it'd be a toss up between that Vance guy and the redhead with the laser rifle, they both seemed pretty switched on and while the Vance guy was a bit reckless, he apparently got the message to slow his roll down in the cargo bay after the showing in the airlock corridor. I honestly don't care who's first mate, I'm not gonna bend over and kiss their ring like their position means anything to me. I mean, I wasn't really expecting to stick around. Zou decided to jump on this ship to get me away from Starlight on Shadespear, I kinda got roped in because I was unconscious and he knew what would happen if we got tangled with the bounty hunter again."

"Well... That makes two of us. Say, are you willing to keep a secret?" he says, gently massaging the area around the wound so the anesthesia could spread faster.

Yolandi nearly shrugs but checks the motion before she accidentally disrupts Typhon's work, "Uh, sure I guess, I mean. I'll be honest, I'll probably forget it by tomorrow, so consider it safe."

"Ohh." Grommy responded towards Shuren's gesture. "Well anyways me and Nara are just going to contemplate life for a few hours. Bye." Grommy waved off with both heading elsewhere.

"To make it quite brief, I don't like this crew period. Not out of any deep-rooted hatred against their person, mind you, but something different." He pulls out the device he nearly used on Vance earlier, activating it and scanning Yolandi with it so he could find the bullet and see how deep it is.

"See, from my time with the Lions I've rubbed shoulders with rapists, shook hands with murderers, did business with thieves and slavers... I've hung around and witnessed pure scum ever since I set foot in these parts. This entire hellhole of a quadrant is full of the absolute worst scum this entire galaxy has to offer, and I know many of them. Yet, being with this crew it's just... surreal. Everyone's well-mannered, upbeat, optimistic, naive... There's even a fucking CHILD with us. If Lionshead saw me right now, his face'd go red with embarrassment, I'm sure."

Vincent thought a bit about who to vote for after Albert cast his vote. He weighed the pros and cons of each, but ultimately no one seemed to edge ahead in the competition. In the end the priest decided to abstain. Let God decide who gets it.

Yolandi nods slightly with Typhon's commentary, "I mean, I wouldn't consider myself a horrible monster of a person, but I wouldn't exactly say I'm a saint either. It's certainly an odd collection of misfits that really don't have much place in this sector of space. If they expect me to take orders from the first mate when I feel they aren't qualified, that's gonna be a big problem, because right now the only people on here I'm concerned about is myself, Zou, and I guess you since you are the ship doctor and I'd rather not be on your bad side." She chuckles at the last one, hoping to try and lighten the mood a little.

"Ah well. You wouldn't need to worry about that. I am being paid to treat everyone's wounds and operate on them if the situation is dire enough, not to be best friends with them. That'd just be a bonus I suppose."

The device reveals the bullet within Yolandi. It's not too deep, thankfully, otherwise he'd probably have to leave it in there. He gets the tweezers out and inserts it into the wound, following the trail as best as he can.

"Besides, if I was resentful enough to sabotage one of my patients because they said something oh-so mean and utterly hurtful to me, that'd make me look petty and untrustworthy. The last thing I need right now is less patients, as that would mean less money."

Yolandi nods slightly, she feels the tweezers probing down the wound but it doesn't hurt, mostly just the pressure of the metal working in the channel, "So, you're actually being paid? I was only expecting salvage rights, not actual paychecks. This lot didn't seem like the payroll type, more barter economy sort of deal."

"A monthly stipend of sorts. It's in my contract. You don't get fine surgeons like me on your crew by just asking nicely, you know."

The tweezers wrap around the bullet just as snug and gently as they came inside, and gently still does Typhon pull it out, being extra careful. It finally exits, and he opens up his helmet's visor so he could see it with his own two eyes. They flip upward onto his scalp, revealing two very sunken and tired looking eyes surrounded by faded yellow veins all desperately reaching for his golden pupils, one contracted and the other dilated. The heavily wrinkled dull-grey skin around them wasn't much better off as dark circles surrounded his eye sockets, both crowned with bushy eyebrows. He doesn't look very healthy for a doctor.

"They really got you didn't they?"

Yolandi shrugs, "Not any worse than others, but I have the gun that put that in me now, so I don't have to worry about anymore wounds from it." She looks at the hole, it's oozing a sort of brackish fluid that's not unlike dirty motor oil, "Don't worry about the color, it's been like that since I became this. It's not infected, if it was infected it'd look more like uh... sludge. The muscle fibers will heal on their own but you're gonna have to hand seal the synth flesh over it. I think a cautering iron is what you need, or some sort of chemical cauterization."

"So, what's the situation now?" Nara asked her best friend as they pondered the shit they just got in. It turns out the Blackwell Reavers were really Blackwell's Reavers. Actual pirates who just sacked a freighter. They went to an adult place, something they call the Bar. The band entered, seeing no one around. They sat on stools, thinking.

"Mom's going to kill me." Nara faceplanted against the counter, eyes shut while Grommy sighed. "She most certainly will. But on the bright side, you did want to explore. You got me to protect you." Though, in a pirate outfit like this., Grommy knew she'd had to fight eventually. She peeked sideways, seeing his face. "Did you actually kill a guy?" She hesitated to ask. Grommy squinted out of fear before admitting what happened on the Upyri freighter.

"One. Maybe two?" He lifted two fingers. "Woah." Nara exclaimed, lifting her head up. "So, how'd you do it? I know mom said you fought when those bad men invaded. But I wasn't born so I never got to see you in action." Grommy understood her reason, deciding to just give her the honest fact rather than sugarcoat the details. "Well, I don't use guns. I only relyed on my fists. There was this one guy holding a large machine gun and just fired at the crewmates. I heard shooting so I just went over there and popped him a few times. Head came off." He rubbed his neck, afraid what she might think.

"That's cool. But, also a bit depressing." She gave a nervous smile. Grommy gave a harsh sigh, agreeing. "I know kid. We'll get through this."

"No stitches?" asks Typhon. "I mean I do have a cauterizer pen here, but are you certain stitches won't suffice?"

"It won't close itself if you just put stitches, you have to physically seal it shut. Trust me, I've tried stitches, I used to get called Patch by some people I worked with in the past because I looked like a patchwork quilt of synth flesh." Yolandi grabs a handful of the space suit she's still wearing and grips it firmly, "So get out the cauterize and burn it shut, don't worry about me."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back