Advice/Help Something I've been itching to learn about

still watching fma

Elder Member
So if youve ever watched lord of the rings, you might have heard the epic speeches on there. Hell one of my favorites isnt even a speech. It's just Theoden lamenting the supposed languishing o his kingdom.

" Where is the horse and the rider
Where is the horn that was blowing
They have passed
Like rain on the mountains
Or wind in the meadows
The days have gone down in the west
Behind the hills
Into shadow"

To me this is amazing because one, it shows Theoden's shortsightedness. One of his country's greatest heroes, Helm hammerhand was a desperate king who went out and started slaying his foes, while blowijg his horn after each kill. Him dying standing in the cold was badass, but also the sign of a desperate man. Yet theoden, looks back on his people as if it was easier for better men.

Even wkthout this fact, which is mostly a lore thing. The language of, " they have passed, like wind in the meadow". Is just so amazing to me. Clearly hes saying good things are as short lived as a refreshijg breeze in a meadow. But it conveys it in such an intriguing manner. The whole poem itself manages to convey anxiety, while also conveying 1000 other things at once.

I dont know ehat to call it. Poetic language? But I was hoping someone knows what tolkien was doing for this monologue so that I can go out and read about his literary techniques.

Tolkien was a language professor, if I remember it correctly, so it wouldn't be surprising for him to speak with such poetic influence. Since, after all, good poetry is the apex of what language can create. Multi-meanings are common within poetry, and asian poetry is widely known for it.

I don't mean to demean the man, but ultimately it's "just poetry," but of course, it is good poetry.

Tolkien was a language professor, if I remember it correctly, so it wouldn't be surprising for him to speak with such poetic influence. Since, after all, good poetry is the apex of what language can create. Multi-meanings are common within poetry, and asian poetry is widely known for it.

I don't mean to demean the man, but ultimately it's "just poetry," but of course, it is good poetry.
I watched a video where the guy says that Tolkien wrote lotr because of his love for language. But sometimes things have simple names in writing.

Black as coal

Is cliche, but its a simile. I was hoping there were more digestible tidbits and technqiues in his writing besides, just calling it poetry. XD

Trying is the best way to learn, keep your mind youthful and test new things; it's how you become good, it's how you learn to do what you want to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back