Social and Political Mechanics

Lovable Dark-side

I might be a scarf. Who knows?
I am attempting to make an rp that focuses on the social and political aspects of civil war among noble families who are all pitted against each other for the throne. The rp would include five noble families that each have 2-3 champions that would be forced to fight each other in ways that are not completely physical. Not only must they deal with the threats of assassination from other house champions, but they must also learn how defeat there enemies in ways that don't always involve death. The daggers of their mind must be just as sharp as those on the belt.
Their reputation, political standing with other families, and there actions would all matter. I am trying to figure out a system where I can properly monitor they reputation with not only the noble families, but the people of the kingdom as well. Would anyone be interested in helping me with this? 

Basically it's a table top rpg set in "totally not" feudal japan with codes of honor, bushido social maneuvering being a big focal point for the game's mechanics.

I don't actually know much about it beyond that, but it sounds exactly like what you're looking for.

Okay, sounds cool. I'll do my own research into it and see how it looks. Thank you for the recommendation. I can't wait to get everything up and running!

Some time ago I ran a roleplay using complex information control mechanics , which would allow such a political and mental game to thrive. The thing ended up getting wrecked by long sheets and vacations, but I could tell you about them if you want.

Actually @Idea That could help a lot if you don't mind telling me. 

Not at all. I like the sound of my own voice (joking...or am I? :P  )

Okay, so first, here are the main ideas behind my systems. First, the most crucial part of a roleplay involving political maneuvers and such is information: It´s all a game of who knows what and what they can do having access to said information. Now, power should be easy enough to distribute: just make sure that raw power and authority are balanced in character sheets. But now the real hard part: how to make sure your players play fair when it comes to what their characters can know? Even the best strategist will be crushed if their opponent can predict their every move, especially if they can do so for no good reason. One of the typical downfalls of "cat and mouse" games in RPs and every form of political maneuver, mysteries, etc... Is "hunches". This is the typical name their given IC, this mystical out of nowhere intuition characters get about facts they otherwise would never know, also known as "metagaming" (using OOC information to influence IC action).

To combat this, a system would have to be divised such that the information, while existing for sure, wouldn´t be in hands of the characters and maybe not even that of the roleplayers themselves.

With this, I crafted two ideas for systems:

1. The secret system

this system would involve having long CSs, as you need to get as much detail about the characters as possible into the CSs for it. However, some parts would be marked as "secrets", parts that don´t have to be filled out in the public eye, and instead can just be PMed to the GM. If a character discovered any detail about them, that detail would be revealed by the GM, (who in the meantime would always keep track to make sure the characters weren´t going out of place with the information), but until that time, the players wouldn´t be told about it.

2. The information stockpile system

in a separate tab, the GM would keep track of what the characters had actually learned so far and what justification they would have for knowing that. Characters would be limited to learning a certain number of details per post, and each time they would have to use legitimate IC sources and guesses to achieve it. Only information in the stockpile would be viable for taking any decision about other characters.

That´s the gist of it.

(Sorry if none of this make sense I am kinda of rambling. P.s I am also on my phone so I am sorry is it is just terrible to read.)

Interesting, but what are your thoughts on retributions on low reputations. In this RP to really show case that the actions your characters take can really bite you in the ass later. Which in a lot of RPs I have been in never really inforced this rule and I think that made people lose interest in them fairly quickly. People like to feel involved with there characters, but when you can do whatever you want without consequences you lose the novelty of the situation and people get bored. So along with figuring out how to source out info without destroying the plot. I need to think of a way to keep track of each character's reputation with the people of the kingdom and those of noble birth. Along with consequences for having a lowered reputation. 

(Sorry if none of this make sense I am kinda of rambling. P.s I am also on my phone so I am sorry is it is just terrible to read.)

Interesting, but what are your thoughts on retributions on low reputations. In this RP to really show case that the actions your characters take can really bite you in the ass later. Which in a lot of RPs I have been in never really inforced this rule and I think that made people lose interest in them fairly quickly. People like to feel involved with there characters, but when you can do whatever you want without consequences you lose the novelty of the situation and people get bored. So along with figuring out how to source out info without destroying the plot. I need to think of a way to keep track of each character's reputation with the people of the kingdom and those of noble birth. Along with consequences for having a lowered reputation. 

Hum.... Well, maybe you could develop a system where wealth and military efficiency are gained or lost based on your reputation with the people?

It's hard to think of anything very appropriate with going full Civ game on this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am also interested in this subject. It has been on my mind to create a roleplay with a similar style to "The Game" from the empire in the Dragon Age series. If youve ever read The Masked Empire (i HIGHLY recommend it) then you would know how similar it is to what you described. Nobles battle almost exclusively through wits and maneuvering their foes into social faux pas. The favor of the people is an interesting way to decide "Power"

It is a certain level of influence over "the court" that allows one person to make decisions that effect the empire. While in the series only the empress has a champion, the system can possibly be molded into something that works on here. 

Id love to workshop ideas with you guys if you are up to it. I think we could make something great here.

I am also interested in this subject. It has been on my mind to create a roleplay with a similar style to "The Game" from the empire in the Dragon Age series. If youve ever read The Masked Empire (i HIGHLY recommend it) then you would know how similar it is to what you described. Nobles battle almost exclusively through wits and maneuvering their foes into social faux pas. The favor of the people is an interesting way to decide "Power"

It is a certain level of influence over "the court" that allows one person to make decisions that effect the empire. While in the series only the empress has a champion, the system can possibly be molded into something that works on here. 

Id love to workshop ideas with you guys if you are up to it. I think we could make something great here.

First just let me say sorry if my replies are messy. I'm such on my phone until my internet is fixed. Anyway, yes I would definitely want to workshop with you! Right now I am still in the brainstorming phase of everything from mechanics to plot in my RP and talking to other people really helps me along. If you want we could co-gm the RP that would go around this system.

I understand haha I use my phone on here a lot.

Awesome though. Feel free to DM me so that we could bounce ideas off of each other. 

First just let me say sorry if my replies are messy. I'm such on my phone until my internet is fixed. Anyway, yes I would definitely want to workshop with you! Right now I am still in the brainstorming phase of everything from mechanics to plot in my RP and talking to other people really helps me along. If you want we could co-gm the RP that would go around this system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back