Other So you found a great RP partner...A question about infamous/famous RPers

AccioProphecy

Positivity
Do you ever complain to them about your old RP partners? Specially bad experiences that you've had with other RPers?

Sometimes I really want to but most of the time I bite my tongue cause I'm wary of scaring my great RP partner off haha.

Recently however, I couldn't help but complain about someone (let's call them person A for the sake of efficiency) and it turns out my new RP partner also had a chance to RP with person A (Yes, here on RPN) and we both found that they seem to love dropping RPs without saying a word. Few weeks later and I ended up talking to someone else about person A, and imagine my shock when they said they had the same experience with person A.

I didn't really expect it, cause I always feel like this is such a big website, and what are the chances we've RPed with the same person right? (Then again, if we're only focused on one fandom I suppose the chances are higher)

That said, I don't mean to be rude here, but is there actually some "famous" or "infamous" RPers here in RPNation? Not asking for their names, just a yes no question out of curiosity.

I have no idea who might be famous or infamous, to be honest. I generally find it rude/in poor taste to talk poorly of other people behind their back, so even if for some reason I happen to talk about someone O try to keep it vague or general, though I definitely prefer to avoid the topic altogether if possible.

That being said, there have been times when certain partners of mine have complained about a few people, and my reaction varied. There were times when it seemed like an understandable reaction and I listened as I do to any friend who needs to air it out. There were other times when relationships and RPs were broken because I refuse to dogpile on someone over a nonissue though.

I do complain about bad experiences sometimes, but I never include the actual usernames. With me, it's always more of a 'you won't believe what this rando did/said,' and we laugh and move on. Tbh, if someone dropped an actual username without me specifically asking for it, I'd see it as tacky (and probably never tell them anything sensitive bc what's the guarantee that they won't speak about ME behind my back as well 💀)

That said, yes, many people are somewhat notorious for reasons that can be both good and bad

There are times when I've given someone I like a heads-up about the kind of experience I've had with someone else. I try to be delicate and as fair as I can in situations like that: stressing that its my subjective opinion and I might have been a part of any issues and so on. It's not something I do at the drop of a hat or with people I only know casually but I have done it.

I do wonder if I ever get talked about, I like to think I mostly have positive interactions with most people, but everyone's entitled to their opinions and some folks might disagree

I do mainly group RPing and I think there's a bit less of an expectation of privacy that goes with that. You've got multiple sets of eyes on you, usually coming from people with varying levels of intimacy and chemistry so you gotta be aware that they're all forming opinions of you, so try to act in a way you can stand by in retrospect I guess.

That said I think RPN is probably on the lower end of the spectrum for gossipy/cliquey behaviour, some of the stories I've heard and some of my own experiences make it seem like more of an issue else where. I think here most people will probably regard most people neutrally or mildly positively unless someone is going out of their way to be unpleasant in some way. I suspect any notion of fame and infamy is mostly just going to come down to levels of activity. The people who have the most interactions are gonna be way more likely to stick in people's minds for better or for worse.

I'm not sure about infamous or famous roleplayers around here. But to answer the question, no. Aside from venting in the roleplay pet peeves, I keep those kind of experiences to myself. Not saying others are not free to share their own experiences with others. I choose not to because any new partner of mine does not need to be bothered with what has happened to me before. It's in my past. I would like to keep it there. It's really a tricky situation though because what if the person you are speaking about is friends with who you are speaking to then a whole bunch of issues come up. So, like I said, I keep that to myself.

As someone coming from another Roleplay forum: yes, infamous Roleplayers do exist.

I'm not personally sure who they are here and I wouldn't be surprised if there were less of them considering that this site seems much more moderated than my previous haunts. That said, Roleplaying is a very social hobby. People talk. It's also important to know who you're writing with. Personally, I'd rather know if someone I'm writing with is problematic. That isn't to say that I run around telling everybody about every partner that was unpleasant or has ghosted me though I'm definitely going to say something if that person has a history of being transphobic, homophobic, racist, sexist, etc., out of character. That might seem like an extreme example and while it may be here, it definitely was not on some of the other sites I've used. Same with partners who are generally creepy. I think it's important to know who any of these folks are, so that we can all avoid them.

Last edited:
For my part, I wouldn't name anyone unless asked. I see no issue with venting.

It also depends on circumstance I think. I have people who I think poorly of from my rp-ing past (here and otherwise).

I have hypothesized what I might do if I encountered them again, and whether I would allow them to soil projects I put my time and energy into.

That being said however, I will say that I would not like a friend/partner to call anyone out to me.

At the end of the day I'd have to be REAL close to someone to trust their judgement on someone else above my own (minus personally experiencing their same issues with that person).

I have wondered if an old 'adversary' showed up in an rp I was involved, if it might be best to say something like "hey I don't think I can be in this story anymore".

There are people that I would definitely at least hesitate to ever allow to rp around any character of mine or in my stories.

It makes me hope for a better solution/ also hope that I'm not asked for the reason for my sudden exit.

As for GMing, I might be discrete and try to PM them that they aren't allowed in the story. If I'm Co-gm... well that's where things might be less neat 😅

Also in a relatively small fandom so I have recommended people in the past. Like hey I think Person X would really like this idea you should reach out to them. Or I think Person Y does these kind of roleplays I can reach out and see if they’re interested in taking on something new.

But the only time on here I have given actual names was when I first started out and the person was like IRL problematic. It’s been the better part of a decade so I don’t remember the exact issue but I think it was either something to do with homophobia or being inappropriately sexual with female players.

I absolutely told every person “hey this guy is a creep and avoid at all costs.”

I have also been in a situations where my partner and I both interacted with the same bigot separately but usually those people leave the site fairly quickly. I haven’t actually spoken to anyone who gave off “I’m a bigot” vibes since like 2019 so I guess the mods have cracked down on certain behaviors or maybe the people left on their own.

I've seen the downside of this. Years ago, in another roleplay community I was a part of someone would post a newsletter/blog about all things roleplay. Some people rattled off names of people considered good roleplays and bad roleplayers to the creator. These people would later go on to have their names published and the reasons why they were considered good/bad. It stirred up a lot of animosity in the community.

I deleted my previous comment because it was off topic (whince), but to address the actual post this time,

Yeah there are names everyone knows to avoid, though I won't name anyone out of respect. There are many more who fall under the controversial tag, some people love them and some people hate them. That's where I'm at right now. There are a handful of people that are known for being really good members, but honestly, writers are pretty skimp with praise. There's a level of competitiveness between members of this community, so compliments become sparse as you improve. That makes fame harder to come by.

Now do any of those reputations matter? Meh... occasionally I guess. I've had good experiences with extremely unpopular members, and bad experiences with popular ones. This community is an inconsistent judge of character for various reasons, and has some mean, influential groups scattered around it. I've seen insane, heinous accusations and rumors spread without a second thought, names dragged through the mud for no reason. That's the nature of the beast.

It's not RPNs fault, and this community is great compared to others I've seen, but people are people, and cliques can be cruel. You'll see the same thing in gaming communities or art servers.

Last edited:
I don't really know or have heard of anyone in particular having any reputation of being a very good or very bad roleplay partner. I've heard of some people complain about bad experiences with past RP partners (I've even done so on at least one occasion), but no names are mentioned during those conversations. Then again aside from the 1x1 RPs I don't feel like I'm that aware of things that are going on in the community as a whole, so that might be just me who is unaware of who is considered a famous or infamous RPer.

I don't even know what my reputation is like for that matter, but since I'm not as involved with the community at large aside from my 1x1 RPs, I'd assume that I'm relatively unknown by most people on the site.

Sure I complain all the time about how I stink at roleplaying and how no one likes me and how everyone but a very very limited few ignore me completely. There are maybe a total of three or four people who will even reply to my comments.
Any idiot can do it, even me......

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure I complain all the time about how I stink at roleplaying and how no one likes me and how everyone but a very very limited few ignore me completely. There are maybe a total of three or four people who will even reply to my comments. This website is filled with idiots who think they are better then everyone else just because they know how to roleplay. News flash, knowing how to roleplay doesn't make you the cats meow......
Any idiot can do it, even me......
I don't mean to start anything, but... attitude matters a lot when finding RP partners.

Insulting your own skill, lamenting how no one likes you, and then calling this website "filled with idiots" may not be doing you favors.

Especially for someone who joined 3 days ago.

Edit: you also seem to tell people that they have psychological problems and to take medication. You may want to back off on that, you could get in trouble.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back