• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Multiple Settings Small Town Horror (Salem's Lot/ IT-esque)

ShiFty KrYpty

-It's been a while since I did one of these types of RP's, but the last time I did so, it was crazy fun. Basically the idea is a supernatural threat begins to slowly overtake a small, dying town in the Midwest. Our characters (I estimate 4-6) will be the ones observing the events and figuring out what exactly is happening, until eventually, they're the only ones capable of stopping the threat. I will act as the Overseer and move the RP along with Event Posts.

-This kind of RP is usually broken up into 4 parts that end on a cliffhanger and with a few weeks to a month in between each part to give the writers time to anticipate more / rest/ RP something else...etc.

-On top of creating your own main character (Sherriff, Doctor, Mayor, Resident...etc. Or none of those, you choose!) You will also create other support characters in your posts (people interacting with your character. Store owner, town drunk, deputy...etc.) that we will keep track of and kill off in service of the plot.

I also am kicking around the idea of turning this into a audiobook with sound effects and music when it's done. For those interested, go ahead and respond below and let's start world building. Have any clarifying questions, feel free to ask.

Last edited:
Intrigued and I do have an idea rolling around for a priest's son already, I would like to see some basic information about the setting itself roll around but I'm interested!

Interested. I have an idea for the sheriffs daughter already and would love to hear more about this idea. Also it would be great to have an audiobook for this.

Sorry guys, busy Saturday lol. Great to hear you're all interested. To answer Cat Man's question about the setting, I see it as a rural town in Illinois. The working name for the town I've been thinking about is Sallow (unhealthy yellow or pale brown color) unless we decide to change it. It's a small town of about 500, formerly 1,800, but it is suffering from a lack of tourism and others moving away. This leaves a lot of abandoned or unsold homes that give a sort of ghost town feel to Sallow. Not sure if it's modern or a different time period like the 80's. However, if modern, I was thinking of using Covid as the reason for the town's struggles in tourism, and later as the assumed cause of victims' deaths. The type of place I'd like it to be is like a town of little evils. Adultery, unjust judgment of others, maybe racism, greed...etc, Almost like the people of the town deserve the horror they'll endure.

I want to stress to go deep with your characters. I personally love flawed ones like the character I have in mind for myself. Maybe they're fighting their sexuality, or racist upbringing? Maybe they have an unhealthy addiction, or an unwanted reputation that is actually true. Stuff like that. Also feel free to coordinate with each other. Maybe your characters know each other, are dating, enemies, family...etc. With that said, go ahead and introduce your character in this thread with an accompanying pic and a slight background info. After that, we can discuss the threat. I have an idea, but if you have some, I'm sure we'd all love to hear it.

Attachments

• Sall1.jpg
    Sall1.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 2
  • sall2.jpg
    sall2.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 2
  • sall3.jpg
    sall3.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif ezgif.com-gif-maker (2).gif
summer divan \ 22 \ female
fc: naomi scott

summer is a med student from a privileged family who attends university a few towns over. she excelled in chemistry and english classes all throughout her school years, but always felt slightly uncomfortable getting everything handed to her because of her parents' status. after undergrad she moved back to sallow and leased an apartment. she currently interns part-time at sallow's only hospital, where her father also works. aside from being very smart, summer can often feel insecure, and this leads her to perfectionism. she can be slightly awkward, but enjoys setting goals for herself and being able to push through challenges. some of her interests include reading, dogs, cooking traditional food, and fashion.
moodboard/visuals: here
playlist: wip
full cs: here

Last edited:
Rile Marsh.jpgFaceApp_1645863357493.jpg

RILEY ‘RILE’ MARSH
25 / HE-HIM / DRIFTER

Rile is a former enforcer for the Savages MC, a notorious biker gang known for criminal activity ranging from gun-running, narcotics, prostitution, to murder. He lost his patch after breaking charter rules and now rides the backroads of the mid-west as a drifter. Despite his appearance, Rile is intelligent in the ways of street smarts. He can read people and know when they’re lying or otherwise. As a person, his time as a Savage nearly made him into one, though he is not completely morally corrupt. In particular, he has an innate sense of duty to protect kids, stemming from losing his younger sister nearly decade ago. While some could see this as a honorable trait, the execution of such an act is often excessive.

Rile has one speed when he's determined, and that’s full speed. You can either get out of the big man's way or go down with who he's after. Of his many flaws, Rile struggles with alcoholism and drug addiction. Many nights, he can be found in the company of a bottle of Jack Daniels, a bag of blow, and whatever female he charmed at the local bar. Rile is just passing through
Sallow, Illinois when the events of the town grip him, putting everything he believed about the world and himself into question.

Last edited:
girl-redhead.gif

Aidan's Detailed Form

Aidan Hartley
Pronouns: She/They
Sexuality: Demisexual

Aidan has grown up in Sallow, IL since she was five years old when her father moved there to find a peaceful place. As most people do in small towns. Her father, Archie Hartley, was a good father if not a tiny bit overprotective of his child. Aidan was your typical girl stuck in daydreams: ran through the woods, made mudpies, trespassed on private property, and locked herself up at the small town library often. Like many, she started becoming curious about urban legends, ghost legends, and anything creepy. Her grades in school weren't the best and she often would try to do anything to get out of school. Her father wasn't too thrilled when she decided to stay in Sallow, IL and work at the animal shelter there. He definitely wasn't thrilled when she announced that she would be doing paranormal investigating on the side.

Aidan is reckless when it comes to adventures. She thinks very little about her own safety, often leaving places alone without considering her own life. This recklessness has gotten her in some trouble with the law, though have released her with no charge, much to her annoyance. They care greatly about their friendships, often forming stronger bonds with her friends than family. She is too trusting for her own good, only seeing the good in people and doesn't have a terrific danger meter when it comes to people. She also isn't the best with words, often mispronouncing or mixing up words. They don't talk much due to this unless they are with close friends. She is compassionate and curious about the world around but the lack of confidence hinders her from coming out of her shell.

Last edited:
I feel as though that could conflict with Aidan's character and her side hustle, but then again, they could be linked to each other if you two were willing to work together. Maybe she learned a lot from this historian character or such?? A mentor?

Last edited:
I was about to say; Aidan has to probably rely a lot on history when she investigates so I think they would work together on most fronts! I can remove her side hustle completely too if desired.

i think they would work together a lot (i'm making my character 26-27 for this rp, after some backstory events that led to most of her obsession with folklore, specifically of the U.S. and the U.K., of all places). is there a character sheet format we can use, or just whatever works?

I decided to make Summer a bit older, and I'll be reworking her bio over the next day or so, so it fits a little better in the rp ^^

Should we have a sheriff mate?
Yes. I was going to use one as a side character, but if you want to take over the role, that's fine. After this, I would say all spots are now closed.

Magnolia, no official character sheet, so just post what you feel is appropriate. No need to alter her age, especially if she has a mentor role.

Edit: So we just need the remaining 3 character profiles before we can proceed.

Last edited:
I got some inspiration so I made a more detailed form for Aidan.

But I am super excited about this thread! Will there be a place to do some minor plotting while we wait?

images

Isaac Ian Woodland
25 | Male (he/him) | Businessman
The town of Sallow knows well of Isaac Woodland, the jumped up priest's son who only wanted to be free from the shackles locked upon his arms since being birthed, after all, and so, he rebelled against his wardens and God's will for being born in such withering refuse. Many issues he concocted against many of the townsfolk, Isaac hated every minute of his life in this hellhole.
So one day, he ran away with some stolen cash and was never seen again.

...And then Ian Woodland finds his way back after years of silence and hatred left unattended to. Now a successful man of the green, Ian has found that pondering life's complexity is useless once you know how smooth the leather on the car seat is, at least, that's what the radio said on his many hitchhikes. He now understands words like lust, greed and manipulation, and has used them as well as let himself be used.
And it worked like a charm, and soon enough, the Midwest found yet another suit marching across the pavement without a care im the world.
Perhaps his pride is hurt, but it means nothing to him once payday comes, besides, it's better than going back to his past. His past is certainly complicated... Ian doesn't regret his actions against those judgemental assholes, but perhaps he wishes his parents just weren't there.
They were angels on that godforsaken place.
And so, he returns after hearing about his mother's passing, for once in his life, praying.
Hoping for forgiveness.

1646055769076.png

maggie rooks - she/her - folklorist/historian

after going to georgia to visit her father, maggie stayed away for a little while. when she did come back, it was with a destroyed right hand, a fear of fire, and a lot of memories she'd rather forget. she's mostly kept to herself, but has begun to work with aidan on her investigations, and rumors abound that like robert johnson, she sold her soul - and the use of her right hand - to write.

I got some inspiration so I made a more detailed form for Aidan.

But I am super excited about this thread! Will there be a place to do some minor plotting while we wait?
Love the new bios, everyone. I guess we're still waiting on our Sheriff character, but if a post doesn't show by the weekend, we'll progress ahead. Shy, I think it is a good idea to start plotting some. We can use this thread if you'd like, or another if preferred. I also think it would wise to post mini-profiles for the support characters for reference and descriptions purposes. Most of part 1 will be establishing the town, residents, and culture. That way when we kill off some or most of them that it hits harder. Also, if you want your character to die, hit me up privately and we can discuss how that can happen...or save them for a sequel, who knows :closed eyes open smile:. As an extra treat, I'm making a couple movie posters/cover art for this RP. So does anyone have any suggestions for the threat? I have an idea already, but like I said in an earlier post, everyone's ideas are welcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back