• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Small Group Looking for One More (Detailed, Ghibli-Inspired RP)

_Line 213

| || || | __
Hey everyone! We're looking for one more person to join a small roleplay named The Magicians of Highbell, a Ghibli-esque coming of age story about a group of magic-users in an expansive, industrial city by the lakeside. Taking cues from films such as Kiki's Delivery Service and Howl's Moving Castle, we're aiming for a relaxed yet magical atmosphere, complete with collaborative storytelling, worldbuilding, and brainstorming. At the moment, our pace is a little more leisurely, and our individual posts are on the longer side (several healthy paragraphs each). If you're fine with roleplay of this nature, read on!

As is the case in Kiki's Delivery Service, our characters have left home to begin their training as proper magicians, as well as find their place in the world as young adults. In our specific setting, witches and wizards leave home at 17, as opposed to the far younger age stated in the film.

If you're interested, you can find out more about the setting and the roleplay by reading our brainstorming sessions in this thread, but I'll post a little bit about the city and two current characters below:

The City of Highbell is a colorful, joyful city known for its relaxed way of life, modern developments, seasonal festivals, and hundreds and hundreds of belltowers. Once a simple paper-milling town, Highbell blossomed into the city it is today after becoming a popular stop for refueling airships, leading travelers of all stripes and cultures to settle in the previously-humble town. The city's many bells ring for just about every conceivable reason, with many shops and businesses possessing their own belltowers for the sake of drawing the attention of passerby--it's just as common for a bakery to ring a bell to announce fresh bread, or for a fishery to ring in the day's freshest catch, as it is for bells to ring for things as simple as the time of day.

Our cast arrives at Highbell during the famed Color Festival, a day of colored paper and ticker-tape strung through the streets, flowering plants, artwork and merchandise of every conceivable color, and brightly-dyed clothes of every shape and form. It's easy to get lost in the midst of what is likely the city's largest festival, but on the other hand, what better day to see the city for the first time?

-- Mora Delay is the puzzle-loving, fine-dining, confectionery-craving daughter of an extremely pragmatic family of magicians. Though she views magic as more of a tool than anything else, she certainly puts said magic to good use; having perfected the act of stopping, starting, and speeding time, Mora can turn a day spent in the kitchen--or just about anywhere else--into a few mere minutes. She's a determined and persistent girl, all-in-all, and such traits certainly come in handy when dealing with the ever-present nagging of her parrotlet companion, Linger.

-- Marabelle Mabel takes equally after her mechanic father and her magical mother. Though disappointed with her gift of Thing-Witchery, the ability to interact with inanimate objects, Marabelle does her best to make due with what she's got. An excellent repairman, Marabelle rarely backs down from unsolved problems, especially those of the mechanical variety, and hopes to prove to herself that her area of expertise is one worth having after all. Supporting her quest--along with the many voices of everything she owns--is her foxhound pup and best friend, Baxter.

If this sounds like something you'd be interested in, feel free to fill out the sheet in the spoiler below! There's some important things to keep in mind while filling this out:

-- You'll notice that the sheet is actually rather simple. We're not looking for paragraphs in each section so much as 3-5 short phrases that best describe each major aspect of your character. If you've ever played a FATE Core game, you'll notice that it's basically the same deal! If you haven't, no worries; all that's important is that you keep things short, snappy, and to the point.

-- Contrary to the way things usually go, we're not looking for images, at least not on the sheet (if you have one you like, you can always post it later). Describe your character in the appearance section the same way that you would for everything else--that is to say, in short, succinct phrases.

-- A little bit of personal fun-facts are included at the end of the sheet so that we know whether or not our roleplay styles would work well together. Don't stress out too much about them, though!

-- If you want full sheet examples, you can find some in the first post of the brainstorming thread. If anything seems confusing or you're not sure how something works, feel free to ask is, and we'll help you as best we can. You can also find a full breakdown of the character sheet, along with some more examples, right here.

Code:
[tabs][tab=Character]

[SIZE=5][U]Basics[/U] (Self-explanatory)[/SIZE]

Name:

Gender (non-binary welcome):

(Age): Remember, your character is 17

[SIZE=5][U]Personality[/U] (Significant traits and beliefs)[/SIZE]

[LIST]

[*]*

[*]*

[*]*

[*]*

[/LIST]

[SIZE=5][U]Background[/U] (Significant events relating to education, upbringing, and skills)[/SIZE]

[LIST]

[*]*

[*]*

[*]*

[*]*

[*]*

[/LIST]

[SIZE=5][U]Noticeable Features[/U] (Most distinctive physical features)[/SIZE]

[LIST]

[*]*

[*]*

[*]*

[*]*

[*]*

[/LIST]

[SIZE=5][U]Magic[/U] (The fun bit)[/SIZE]

Skill:

Animal Companion (species and name - optional):[/tab]

[tab=You]This section is meant to help me get to know you and to assess whether we would be good writing partners. Just be honest, be yourself, and fingers crossed we'll be a good match.

[size=5][u]General Info[/u][/size]

Preferred name (if something other than your screen name):

Preferred pronouns (should I, for any reason, refer to you indirectly, I want to make sure I use pronouns you identify with):

[size=5][u]Writing Info[/u][/size]

How often do you post?

How much do you tend to write per post?

Does poor spelling/editing bother you?

Do you enjoy contributing ideas in the OOC thread?

If you won't be able to post for a long time or need to drop the RP, what would you do?

[size=5][u]Fun Info[/u][/size]

What genres of RP do you love the most?

What is your favorite Ghibli film?

What book are you currently reading?

What is your favorite food?[/tab][/tabs]

If you have any further questions, feel free to post below, or reach out in PMs to either myself or ch1ps ch1ps . We'd be happy to help! Thanks for reading and considering joining us!

Sorry if the spacing is a little off. RPN is being a little bit weird with copy and pasting!

• Basics (Self-explanatory)

Name: Theodore Hobbs

(Age): 17

Personality

• * Everyone deserves happiness
    • * Optimistic even in situations where he shouldn’t be
    • * Will help with ANYTHING aka, extremely gullible
    • * Hasn’t been out much so most things are new to him. Easily impressed.
    Background

• * Grew up in mom and pop’s bakery, which happens to be located in a spooky forest...No, they didn’t think to choose a better location.
    • * Extremely poor
    • * Schooled by an intelligent and kind forest dweller
    • * Tried to help with his magic, usually made things worse
    • * Who needs people when you can talk to animals who never talk back? …Hehe…he.

Noticeable Features
    • * Curly mop of black hair. Why won’t this piece stay down? Or this piece? Or this piece…? He swears that it defies gravity
    • * Bright turquoise eyes that elderly women seem very adamant on complimenting
    • * Light skin with warm undertones
    • * Never without his dusty yellow hoodie
    • * A little bit smaller than most guys his age

Magic

Skill:

Creation Magic:

Theo can create almost anything from thin air! Or…well, he tries. Most times when he tries to create things all he manages is a puff of smoke, or something completely different than what he wanted.

Most think he’s just some awful street magician.

Animal Companion: None for now

Ahh this looks amazing!! Is it too late to say that I'm interested?

Last edited:
No one else has posted, so if you're still up for it, ch1ps ch1ps and I would be happy to have you, NightMoves NightMoves !

I'd be honored to join you guys! Do you have a Discord and/or an OOC chat. Is it the one linked above?

Also, I don't mind waiting for the person above to submit their charactet sheet to see if they might be a better fit for you :) If that's what you choose to do.

I'd be honored to join you guys! Do you have a Discord and/or an OOC chat. Is it the one linked above?

Also, I don't mind waiting for the person above to submit their charactet sheet to see if they might be a better fit for you :) If that's what you choose to do.

Yes! A discord sounds like it might be a good idea, BUT as of now, we have an OOC chat that Line posted in the original post! The link just above the spoiler images. If it's alright with you, I'm all up for giving Semblance a chance to shoot their shot :)

Alright, here is he is! Spent all my free time at work doing this haha, let me know what you guys think :)

• Basics (Self-explanatory)

Name: Arune

Gender (non-binary welcome): Male

(Age): 17

Personality (Significant traits and beliefs)

• * Let the adventures begin!
    • * Where words fail, music speaks.
    • * Life and love are nothing without passion.
    • * Judging someone speaks more about yourself than them.
    • * Head is usually in the clouds.

Background (Significant events relating to education, upbringing, and skills)

• * Raised by a traveling bard (father) and talented painter (mother), who passed away when he was young
    • * Traveled from town to town with his father to perform. His father was very gifted at playing the lyre and writing poems, who passed down this passion to Arune.
      • "Son, it's us against the world. Our music and words are fuel for the soul."
    • * Earned just enough to get by
    • * Became captivated by the idea that magic could bring his music to an incredible and complex level that he can't even begin to imagine. Applied for magical apprenticeship as a result.

Noticeable Features (Most distinctive physical features)

• * Tall and lean
    • * Ragged wavy auburn hair
    • * Sharp hazel green eyes
    • * Always carries his lyre around with him
    • * Never goes anywhere without his pocket journal to jot down musical inspiration
    • * Often has on a thoughtful expression

Magic

Skill: Music Magic
    • Whether it's playing his trusted lyre or banging on a few drums, Arune has the ability to cast spells through his use of music. Thus far, he has only used it as an added enhancement to his lyre performances. This includes adding illuminating shimmers that expel from his instrument, captivating his audience's attention exclusively and expelling all worries from their minds temporarily, making his listeners tangibly feel like they're floating in the clouds, etc.

Animal Companion: Nightingale named Cadence

Last edited:
Semblance Semblance NightMoves NightMoves

So the two of us conferred, and as things stand, we'd actually like to offer a spot to both of you! This would bring us up to a four-person group. We thought that both of your characters actually had a lot to offer, and we'd be delighted if you'd both like to sign on. The OOC thread can be found above, but if people would like a Discord, I'd be more than happy to set one up! I actually tend to prefer them for OOC anyway.

So the two of us conferred, and as things stand, we'd actually like to offer a spot to both of you! This would bring us up to a four-person group. We thought that both of your characters actually had a lot to offer, and we'd be delighted if you'd both like to sign on. The OOC thread can be found above, but if people would like a Discord, I'd be more than happy to set one up! I actually tend to prefer them for OOC anyway.
Awesome!! I'm so excited to get started :) I love the world of Kiki's delivery service and after reading through the other threads, Magnolia's vision for this world sounds like it has a lot of creative potential. I don't mind either OOC or Discord, but I could reply to Discord more easily on my phone. Are we just going to continue posting on the original IC thread or create a new one for us?

Awesome!! I'm so excited to get started :) I love the world of Kiki's delivery service and after reading through the other threads, Magnolia's vision for this world sounds like it has a lot of creative potential. I don't mind either OOC or Discord, but I could reply to Discord more easily on my phone. Are we just going to continue posting on the original IC thread or create a new one for us?

We're going to keep using the current IC for now!

That's awesome! I thought the muse train that Semblance Semblance 's character was going with was super cool, so I was sure they would get the spot over me! Haha. Nice to see that we ALL get to write together! Whoopie. I personally prefer Discord over the OOC chat, just because rpn has a little delay and is kind of weird with posts that are in quick succession for me. Would you like us to post our characters in the old character thread? Or just leave them here?

That's awesome! I thought the muse train that Semblance Semblance 's character was going with was super cool, so I was sure they would get the spot over me! Haha. Nice to see that we ALL get to write together! Whoopie. I personally prefer Discord over the OOC chat, just because rpn has a little delay and is kind of weird with posts that are in quick succession for me. Would you like us to post our characters in the old character thread? Or just leave them here?
Aww I loved your character too! I'm excited to see what he brings to the table and start exploring this world together with all of us :)

Also, perhaps it would be better if we could all have our character sheets in one place? Either on the old character thread or even the Discord? Just so it would be easier to refer back to them

It might be a bit difficult to put it all in the Discord, since I have the feeling that the chat will mess with the formatting of the posts themselves. I suppose one thing that we could do though is simply put links to the posts where the characters are, though it might be helpful to have a separate thread for that either way.

I wouldn't mind switching over to discord, although, other than participating, I'm a complete noob to Discord rp-ing! For now, maybe it's best to simply link the posts in the OOC, to keep things simple.

Is this role-play still available to join? I love Ghibli and would love to be in a role-play based around that.

It might be a bit difficult to put it all in the Discord, since I have the feeling that the chat will mess with the formatting of the posts themselves. I suppose one thing that we could do though is simply put links to the posts where the characters are, though it might be helpful to have a separate thread for that either way.
I wouldn't mind switching over to discord, although, other than participating, I'm a complete noob to Discord rp-ing! For now, maybe it's best to simply link the posts in the OOC, to keep things simple.
Sounds good to me! We can just copy paste our character sheets to the OOC so that they're all on one page?

As for Discord, I agree that we should still keep IC RP-ing on RPN but we can put OOC stuff in a Discord chat? Do you guys want to make the server and link/add us?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back