• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice Slayers - OOC

Characters
Here
Though, I'm still debating of using this

Another reason why i'm debating on using this one is because it's nothing new in the sense that it's a cookie-cutter background with the Escaping-from-the-church-and-inquisitors plot. I'm still thinking of something different.

Worst case, they think the shadow magic means you're a servant of the Vampires.

Hmmm I forgot about their war with the immortal kromsians (specifically vampires) and I definitely didn't think about how they'll react with my magic. I guess I should choose between Hrothgard and the Lama since the frontier is on the opposite side of H'kaer.

Though since we're focusing on H'kaer and with my pattern being shadow, that ups the difficulty for my character lol.

My character will come from a town with a history of plague outbreak, any recommendations?

Last edited:
Any big settlement in a medieval world is prone to nasty plague outbreaks, so you go with any of the major cities in Kelen or Hrothgard. Or you could be the lone survivor of a Frontier colony that was wiped out by plague.

Cool, both work. I'm actually in the process of updating the Hrothgard writeup, so if you'd like to know more about any of the clans let me know and I'll give you a preview drawn from my notes.

I am sure that there are a lot I need to patch up in my CS, but I really should be sleeping now. Correct me when you spot any, I will correct them after the rest.

I think you have some XP left for Skills and Attributes, and your Advantages can be more powerful, but you've done great for your first time. Sleep well!

Quick FYI for everyone - I'm attending a convention from the 14th until 17th, so I will probably be too burnt out from running games IRL to post much over that weekend.

So my backstory as a Bloodhunter necessarily requires becoming a pariah and then becoming a thrall of a vampire, yeah? Or are the little blurbs more suggestion than rigid framework?

So my backstory as a Bloodhunter necessarily requires becoming a pariah and then becoming a thrall of a vampire, yeah? Or are the little blurbs more suggestion than rigid framework?

Suggestion more than anything. Bloodhunters have usually been thralls to Vampires because it's the only way to develop the blood addiction, and no normal person says "I'm going to eat that vampire's heart."
Being a pariah inevitably follows as the mutations set in.

Does that mean I should be using mutation point mechanics as well or would my character not be exhibiting those at this point?

Also, I'm not 100% sure on how to parse the idea of the Language skill and fluency. Would I report it as something like:

Language (English) 3
Language (French) 2
etc.

Or closer to Language: 2 (English 3, French 2)? Or something else entirely? And does assumed fluency also mean we should report a free single dot in Language at Fluency 3?

Also also, is Skill XP being distributed case-by-case or are we just taking 60 default?

60 default is fine.

Take one language at max fluency for free.

Your first assumption was correct.

Your character will already have some mutations based on the Vampires theyve already killed. We can discuss those when I get to a computer or I have a liitle more time.

Apologies for terseness - I'm at a convention and hate typing from my phone

Does Hrothgaard have knights/knight-equivalents or is it just the boyars and anointed/hedge knights that pass by?

Does Hrothgaard have knights/knight-equivalents or is it just the boyars and anointed/hedge knights that pass by?

It has knightly orders ordained by the church - technically boyars are landed knights, but they have knights among their retainers, and the king will often send his own knights to keep an eye on them under the pretext of providing military aid.

Hm. Okay, so an image of a concept is starting to solidify in my head. Is there a generalization of vampire thrall culture within the hunter and warrior divisions, or does each individual clan/individual vampire run things their own way?

Hm. Okay, so an image of a concept is starting to solidify in my head. Is there a generalization of vampire thrall culture within the hunter and warrior divisions, or does each individual clan/individual vampire run things their own way?

There are generalizations within clans and some individuals buck those trends.

Loxite tend to use their mastery of flesh to pose as human nobility and keep members of their extended mortal family or favourite retainers as thralls. It's not even that bad, necessarily; they hold onto their humanity the best, for good or ill. Mutations picked up from them tend to be very subtle up to the point a screaming maw opens in your chest when someone tries to stab you.

Ithim keep thralls as spies, informants, and daytime protectors - since if they're in Hrothgard, they're less territorial than the branch of the clan down south and roam more. One of their thralls might see their dark patron for months at a time. Cause mutations such as fur, vestigial wings, batlike noses.

Yaundae can wind up in toxic, manipulative relationships with their thralls, particularly as they age and lose some of their ability to move easily out of water. They might use a latent poison to stop a thrall from contemplating betrayal, if they haven't given them a binding dose of blood in a while, and they have an aptitude for lying. Mutations from them tend to be serpentine scales, poison secretions, gills, fins.

Gorite keep thralls in slave pens in their hidden mountain fortress, because they sack and burn villages maybe once a generation. When they weary of their thralls they make them fight in gladiatorial bouts and promise to make the winners into Vampires. Very tough to kill; easier to turn on a lone Gorite exiled from the lair. Mutations include tough red skin, horns, red-hot blood, stony growths.

Wahran would be super rare this far north, but a lone one might recreate the religious trappings of the main clan branch way down south, protecting thralls in exchange for a blood tithe. Mutations include lizard or crocodilian scales, elongated faces, vestigial tails, symbiotic fungal infections.

Uthar are loners and if you've seen their powers, pretty horrible masters. A thrall may spent months on the brink of death, mad with fever, watching from behind their own eyes as they ate human flesh. Mutations include stiff, short hair in weird places, chitinous plates, multiple eyes, mandibles, strange new limbs.

Aberrations are all unique and often severely mentally traumatized by being brought back from the dead, so you can go wild with how they might have kept a characters.

Cool, cool. A lot to unpack here, but I'm definitely feeling the concept of a Loxite thrall turned knight errant the strongest. I'll see about getting a sheet for that soon.

Sorry, I wasn't receiving notifs from this thread. I will backread and further solidify my character.

Everyone still with me?
I'll see if we can fill out the roster a bit more, since you don't want to fight awful things while outnumbered.

We've only got one sheet up so far.

Auda Auda Sheet looks good. I'll suggest some slight modifications to your Advantages in the morning, and you can add your Magic information to the sheet wherever you think it'll fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back