SKYRIM

Just wanted to ask, is there anyone who doesn't play Skyrim for the story? I mostly just mess around there while playing the game.

I play Skyrim for dem' high quality graphics mods and the immersive ENBs

Who needs the new Skyrim when your game already looks like this (cocky brag)

GmN0nUj.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm Nerevarine & Dragonbron... BOOM-Shakalaka!!!!

*Takes arrow to the knee*

I don't use Mods. I find it would take away from the game more than add to it. The exception being modest mods that simple add extra features, while still remaining balanced. Infinite Magicka or Stamina is just weak (dunno if that's a thing, but I'm sure someone has done it). Anything that gives the Dragonborn an edge I would find empty and boring. Skyrim is easy enough without added advantages.

The "story" of Skyrim is sort of fluid and flexible. There's the civil war, the Dragonborn story line, and all the optional stories you can discover, or pass by.

So yes, and no. I don't play for the main quest lines, anymore, although I do complete them as part of each characters story.

To me the "story" of Skyrim is based on the given character. It begins on that wagon with Ulfric, and doesn't stop for even a second, until you retire that character. Every step, every conversation, every kill, every random event and side-quest. This reflects my style of play.

I treat Skyrim like one big playable Role Play. I play as a given character, and operate within their personality, beliefs, and morals. They all have different tendencies in terms of skills, style (equipment), and what could call alignment. Everything is carried out as if I were that character. I don't refuse to help someone steal, then lift a nice nice item from a shop in the run of the same hour... lol.

I developed this style ofplay my second time through Morrowind using my main Elder Scrolls character, Lazarus T. (Tyranicus) Grimmtower. A Dunmer battle-mage proficient with both magic and a bow, as well as capable with a sword if need be. I also took him through Skyrim on my first run (Dovahkiin AND Nerevarine!). But the timeline, and the severely nurfed magic system (mainly schools like alteration and illusion) lead me to retire his greatness from ES titles. Laz was a chaotic neutral. He was in it for Laz, and only Laz. He wasn't "Evil" to a fault, but he wasn't a "good" guy, lol. He walked the line, but always leaned toward evil.

Anyway, my second time through I did something different. Instead of adhering to an established character from the start, I chose to create a special character with special circumstance that would allow me to relax more, and not over-think every last situation and decision.

Sol Outlander is a Redguard warrior. By my account, his father was Redguard, his mother, Imperial (mixed race, something I do hope they start using in VI or VII). Sol had washed ashore on the western coast of Cyrodiil, near Anvil. He had no memory of who he was, where he had come from, and how he had gotten here. Amnesia allowed me to play using a loose personality. The name Sol came from a piece of wreckage that came ashore with him. the letters: sol painted upon the broken chunk wood, presumably a portion of the ship's name. I dig right into the details, so Sol always wore a hood, weary of being recognized, because he wasn't sure who or what he was, only that he had a natural proficiency with a bow, sword, and stealth tactics; he was a warrior of some kind, and not of the average cut... Something more.

My last time through using Sol (not long ago, actually), I took a whole new approach to the game.

After defeating the Dragon at Whiterun and being summoned by the Grey Beards, Sol checked out from the bullshit and drama of Nords and Imperials. He ignored the Grey Beards, the civil war, all of that bullshit and headed south into obscurity. I did some jobs for the Jarl of Falkreath and became Thane, purchasing Lakeview Manor and building my own homestead. I spent a long time ignoring everything, building my skills, collecting supplies and equipment, got married, had 2 kids (adopted, but by my account, we were talking 10-12 years later, he had 2 children of his own with Ysolda of Whiterun).

Now the beauty of playing this way, is in time, it becomes natural, you don't really think about it, you just react accordingly. Having all the DLC's, vampires were a routine thing. They are just annoying, you know? Anyway they had made me very angry over the years, but when I did the quest involving the ghost of a little girl who had been killed by vampires, I decided Sol had had just about enough.

I ended up joining Dawguard prior to even visiting the Grey beards. So by the time I started the Dragonborn quest line, I was a skilled, experienced adventurer, veteran vampire hunter, and somewhat experienced with Elder Scrolls, as opposed to being a complete newb stumbling around in iron armor.

That's a completely unique story line than anything I've ever done, even though I'm doing the same old quests. :D

I challenge everyone to try a new Skyrim file using this method. It's vastly more rewarding that just charging through the game with a torch in one hand and a sword in the other, completely absent minded about it.

Also, if you need some tips on how to make quick cash so you can complete a full homestead at the start of the game, or fund skill development like smithing or alchemy:

Prioritize loot by weight vs value. If an ax weighs 12 pounds, and it's worth 50 gold, throw that piece of shit away when your capacity reaches it's limit and you can't carry anymore. Throw away the leather boots, the daggers, etc. But take it all to start, in case you don't max your carry capacity by the time you're done doing what you're doing.

Raid dungeons for loot, take everything you see (don't steal if you don't want to).

When dealing with merchants, there's a trick. Save up your loot, don't fence it right away. You'll want to visit shops with all your most expensive items.

• Sell to them til they are broke
  • Now go through their merchandise. Buy everything you need, but be weary of how much gold you give them
  • After you've cleaned them out of useful items (ONLY stuff you need or will need), begin selling your loot to them again til they are broke
  • You've basically just traded items without spending gold on them, in exchange for extra loot

Alchemy is great for this trick, as well as power training Speechcraft. When you make 1 sale for 50 potions, you only get 1 shot of speech exp. If you sell 50 potions 1 at a time, you get 50 shots of speech exp. ;)

There's good money in selling potions.

Also, if you need some tips on how to make quick cash so you can complete a full homestead at the start of the game, or fund skill development like smithing or alchemy"

Prioritize loot by weight vs value. If an ax weighs 12 pounds, and it's worth 50 gold, throw that piece of shit away when your capacity reaches it's limit and you can't carry anymore. Throw away the leather boots, the daggers, etc. But take it all to start, in case you don't max your carry capacity by the time you're done doing what you're doing.

Raid dungeons for loot, take everything you see (don't seal if you don't want to).

When dealing with merchants, there's a trick. Save up your loot, don't fence it right away. You'll want to visit shops with all your most expensive items.

• Sell to them til they are broke
  • Now go through their merchandise. Buy everything you need, but be weary of how much gold you give them
  • After you've cleaned them out of useful items (ONLY stuff you need or will need), begin selling your loot to them again til they are broke
  • You've basically just traded items without spending gold on them, in exchange for extra loot

Alchemy is great for this trick, as well as power training Speechcraft. When you make 1 sale for 50 potions, you only get 1 shot of speech exp. If you sell 50 potions 1 at a time, you get 50 shots of speech exp. ;)

There's good money in selling potions.

Do you have any tips on how to find the recipes for the potion themselves? o:

Won't actually apply it until my PC's fixed but it's good to know! I usually just blindly mix ingredients until I get something.

Visit potions shops and some mages around the holds, or Winterhold college. Sometimes they'll have recipes for sale.

I usually collect every ingredient I possibly can along my way with fanatical obsession. I watch the roadside like a hawk, often missing lurking wolves in the distance because I'm scanning for flowers. :P

Hoard ingredients for a god while, storing them safely somewhere (if you don't have a house, you can risk a barrel in town for a short while, but now and then, take it all out and put it back in, because sometimes the barrel contents in towns will reset. Otherwise, you might luck out and find a storage device in the wilderness close enough to a fast travel spot you can mark or memorize for storage).

After you have a TON of ingredients, it's easier to blindly mix without wasting valuable supplies.

When mixing, I use the stuff I have the most of first. And when I find a potion combo, I halt all mixing and make as many of that potion as I can before starting to mix again. his risks missing extra combos from certain ingredients, BUT, you don't waste those supplies mixing, but instead convert them to product to use or sell.

'\_(>~<)_/'

What is that? A bow?

Fun fact. There is a certain area of the exterior of Winterhold College (looking at the college head-on, it's around the left side) where you can leap off, free falling all the way down, and land in a semi-shallow pool of water without taking any damage (SAVE FIRST!)

Oh yah, @Loco Mofo

I know you don't like mods... But this mod is a necessity.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/68757/?

It breaks your immersion, but you gotta sacrifice immersion for amazingness sometimes...

ROFL!!! For a moment I was expecting like a game-changing mod like zombie mode (Fallout Ghouls EVERYWHERE! And all fallen NPCs become ghouls!).

I found this interesting because it feels a like nod to Earthbound for Super Nintendo. Even the wording "Plush Teddy Bear". It's an item you get in Earthbound. Plush Bears and Super Plush Bears. They acted like shields to absorb damage equal to their threshold during battle.

30-10368.png

It actually followed you around on map screens to indicate it was still in one piece.

EB3.jpg

This Mod is really cool. I would probably use it for one of my characters who I made as just for fun and humor. His name was Testocles The Mighty (a play on the Greek hero Themistocles :P , and obviously, the word testicles). He was a smug, charismatic Imperial, but also a deceptive and manipulative coward who would go around claiming to be the mightiest hero and warrior in all of Tamriel. His love for women was only rivaled by his love for mead. :D

It was fun because his main skills were speech and sneak. In terms of combat he was worthless, so it provided lots of challenge and laughs. He'd often depend on followers to do most of the work, and was never above leaving them to die as he made a discrete escape.

Some great times with Testocles! :D  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back