News SJWs forcing their ideals on great things

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, does that somehow counter that it's wrong, especially when used under a banner with "justice" in the title?

I completely agree, I wish people could talk about this stuff in a civil manner. But clearly not everyone starts wars over this stuff, I personally think me and @The Cheshire Cat have been very civil with each other in our discussion. I also don't think people should keep their opinions about elements of things they like to themselves either. It's interesting to talk about stuff you're a fan of with other fans and to look at things with a critical eye. It only gets annoying when people try to take a moral high ground via social justice or "anti" social justice.
Hmm I apologize for coming out as presumptuous, I don't have answers, only opinions.
I agree that misinformation is a big problem in our society. And I agree that it's enjoyable to discuss fandoms pro and cons with people who share our interests. I think that sometimes

Hmm I apologize for coming out as presumptuous, I don't have answers, only opinions.
I agree that misinformation is a big problem in our society. And I agree that it's enjoyable to discuss fandoms pro and cons with people who share our interests. I think that sometimes
(Misclick sry)
...that sometimes sjws and the people who take their baits make huge fuss of small problems, making them appear as those are the issues that really matter.
That said, this type of threads and discussions can easily lead to hostility, and I think it's best to just avoid them (which I should have done myself)
Naiad out.

(Misclick sry)
...that sometimes sjws and the people who take their baits make huge fuss of small problems, making them appear as those are the issues that really matter.
That said, this type of threads and discussions can easily lead to hostility, and I think it's best to just avoid them (which I should have done myself)
Naiad out.
You're right on the money, there are certainly bigger fish to fry than a lot of the things people stir up controversy over on both sides.

didn't notice any SJW influence (thank goodness!)
Trust me, it's way more apparent with marvel. DC doesn't even give a shit about SJWs.
Also, for all of you easily offended by this thread, keep this in mind: Feminism gets male innocents locked up every day. Oh, by the way... there are only two genders. :D

If Rey learned how to prevent Kylo from invading her mind, then he'd be (or perhaps he thought he'd be)
In that less time, very unlikely.
It's completely possible for a force user to deflect a force ability. Yoda blocked Palpatine's force lightning with nothing but the force, but that didn't make force lightning useless.
The difference is that Yoda was the Grand Master of the Jedi Order with over a century experience and Rey had less than 24 hours experience.

In that less time, very unlikely.

The difference is that Yoda was the Grand Master of the Jedi Order with over a century experience and Rey had less than 24 hours experience.

Catch up.

If he was trying to subdue her he could have just frozen her like he did at the bar.

He probably didn't think it was an option after she pushed him out of her mind when he was interrogating her.

Which, less than an hour before hand, he had used aforementioned force paralysis on her. You mean to tell me she learned all that stuff in an hour?

Whether or not you or I agree with the timing of how long it took her to git gud with the force, it makes sense chronologically as to why paralyzing her wasn't an option during the fight.

Catch up.
The time she had to figure out just does not make sense. Unless she can learn as fast as the Dragonborn can learn a shout. Which I doubt she can. To know how to resist that, you need more than just being influenced once. And stunning someone can work without invading the mind.

The time she had to figure out just does not make sense. Unless she can learn as fast as the Dragonborn can learn a shout. Which I doubt she can. To know how to resist that, you need more than just being influenced once. And stunning someone can work without invading the mind.
I'm not making a case for how long it took Rey to learn the force. That's not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is chronologically speaking, she went from being paralyzed by Kylo to later pushing him out of her mind, and so during the fight paralyzing her would be an unlikely option. And I have nothing to cite here as definitive proof within the lore, but I'm willing to bet that being able to push someone out of your mind takes more effort than fighting through someone freezing your body in place. Which, I would also be inclined to believe that Kylo didn't wrap Rey in a Rey shaped force bubble, and that he instead mind controlled her to stop moving, since he seems to be a fan of mind control. Then again, he stopped the blaster bolt in midair, so he could've stopped Rey like that too. Either way, doesn't really change the fact that after she got gud with the force that things like that would no longer work on her. Otherwise we would've seen Jedi and Sith doing stuff like that to each other left and right in previous films and cartoons.

Trust me, it's way more apparent with marvel. DC doesn't even give a shit about SJWs.

Haha well thanks for sparing me from examples. I'd rather live happily in ignorance. I'm loving Marvel right now :P

Also, I'd just like to say that i'm also loving all this Star Wars talk!! It's getting me psyched for December!!!! woop woop!!!!! It also helps my own views on what I thought were mary sue/gary stu moments so thanks errrrbody :)

Don't mind me, guys. I am rather enjoying this debate on Rey.

TheOtherGuy TheOtherGuy

You realize that Obsidian developed New Vegas, Not Bethesda, right? And, you are talking about the company behind Dishonored, The Evil Within, Call of Cthulhu, and the famously deep world of The Elder Scrolls. Just to name a few of the most known. I apologize if I am coming off as either butthurt or a Bethesda dick-rider, but you should really do some basic research on the matter of their world building feats.

No no, I knew Obsidian made New Vegas. I wasn't referring to that game when I mentioned Bethesda. Regarding Bethesda, I'm referring to Bethesda Game Studios. As for the deep world of the Elder Scrolls, I agree that it's a great and in depth setting, probably my favorite fantasy setting ever. But the setting was already mostly written by past developers, some who might no longer be on the team. Games like Skyrim are mostly based off existing lore. Regarding writing, their recent games, excluding the already-written lore, aren't the best in this regard.

I'm a big Bethesda Game Studios fan, but I think their strengths lie in how fun the gameplay/exploration is, as well as the setting/world and how everything together provides a great platform for emergent or personal storytelling. In terms of things like developer-written plots, characters, etc., I personally hold the opinion that they need some work. I don't think they're the worst, but I think they could use some work. That's not to say I'm some great writer, because I'm not, but, shrug, there's just my two cents.

ccCdEXc.png

This seems pretty far fetched. I mean, does the guy work at Disney or is this just a rant from a rando? Finn was drawn as a white guy in the concept art, is it really so hard to believe that Boyega got the role because he's a talented actor and was right for the part? Or is it easier to believe in a conspiracy designed to shock all the racists of america, because there are just so many of those?

I'm pretty sure people who don't like the new Annie aren't afraid of a strong black cast because 2 of the 5 people featured on the poster are black. And one of them's Jamie Foxx. Motherfuckers love Jamie Foxx. That makes the cast like 60% white.

The whole Karate Kid part is also... idk mislead? I don't think race was involved at all in the plot of the movie, it was just an outsider thing, and the story of a guy earning his stripes. If you think about it, nothing would've really changed about the story if it was an Asian American kid coming to live in China. As for it not being called the Kung Fu Kid, yeah, that's dumb as hell, but that's not Hollywood using a black kid to avoid criticism. It's Will Smith trying to make his son into a superstar and using a familiar title to bank off nostalgia to get butts in seats.

Even though I don't necessarily agree with the movies pointed out in this post or the little conspiracy about Finn, I do think they're onto something. There's something weird going on in Hollywood with diversity. I like to call it Hollywood Tokenism. I see it in superhero stuff the most.

Avengers: Black Panther and Captain Marvel
DCEU: Cyborg and Wonder Woman
Defenders: Luke Cage and Jessica Jones

Basically what you do is throw one black guy in there and ya throw one woman (but she better be white) and then everyone sucks your dick for being diverse. Then you proceed to fill the rest of the cast up with white guys. And nobody notices or cares because people are sheep. And in a way, it does critic proof movies. I mean come on. Is Wonder Woman really a 92% movie Rotten Tomatoes? Is it reeeeally? 92? The Dark Knight is 94. I'm not buying that Wonder Woman is 2 percent off from The Dark Knight, sorry. It's decent but it's not 92% decent.

S SirBlazeALot

It might be an actual Disney employee, but it might also not me. 4chan has all kinds of posters. However, I think his main point was this "progwashing," and the idea of studios protecting themselves from criticism by catering to the politically correct agenda. The result is, then, that any criticism can be dismissed as racism, sexism, or whatever is the most relevant. If Finn was first sketched as a white man, but then cast as a black man, it only plays into this idea. As for the other things, I think he only used them as examples, but rather ineffectively. Three are better examples, such as Ghostbusters.

S SirBlazeALot

It might be an actual Disney employee, but it might also not me. 4chan has all kinds of posters. However, I think his main point was this "progwashing," and the idea of studios protecting themselves from criticism by catering to the politically correct agenda. The result is, then, that any criticism can be dismissed as racism, sexism, or whatever is the most relevant. If Finn was first sketched as a white man, but then cast as a black man, it only plays into this idea. As for the other things, I think he only used them as examples, but rather ineffectively. Three are better examples, such as Ghostbusters.
I get what they're saying.

I just don't think it would play into the idea. I think it plays into the idea that the race of the character didn't really matter so this couldn't have been planned from the start. No one ever mentions any of the black characters in Star Wars being black or white, it's not built into the character's backstory. He coulda be Chinese or White or an Alien, it really wouldn't have mattered. I think they picked Boyega because Boyega was right for the part. And he did own his role. Not everything is a huge conspiracy.

I mean come on, it's a bit ridiculous right? Can you really imagine a bunch of people in a board room planning a Five Nights At Freddy's jumpscare, anticipating that the majority of America's gonna go "AH! A black man!! Never seen one of thems before!!"

Sony and Ghostbusters is definitely a better example.

Besides the No True Scotsman in this comment, do enlighten us as to what constitutes as 'normal'.
I dunno what No True Scotsman means or whatever. I mean normal people like people who aren't on the internet all the time, or people who focus on more important things, like checking out the newest winx club episode. Normal people

No. I just questioned the logic in judging a movie you haven't seen, and asked for sources for one of his claims. How's that being awfully defensive?
It's odd how you were charged for being triggered for using skepticism, when in fact I'd say he was triggered if anything.

I dunno what No True Scotsman means or whatever. I mean normal people like people who aren't on the internet all the time, or people who focus on more important things, like checking out the newest winx club episode. Normal people
Wikipedia:
No true Scotsman is a kind of informal fallacy in which one attempts to protect a universal generalization from counterexamples by changing the definition in an ad hoc fashion to exclude the counterexample.[1][2] Rather than denying the counterexample or rejecting the original claim, this fallacy modifies the subject of the assertion to exclude the specific case or others like it by rhetoric, without reference to any specific objective rule ("no trueScotsman would do such a thing"; i.e., those who perform that action are not part of our group and thus criticism of that action is not criticism of the group).[3]

Wikipedia:
No true Scotsman is a kind of informal fallacy in which one attempts to protect a universal generalization from counterexamples by changing the definition in an ad hoc fashion to exclude the counterexample.[1][2] Rather than denying the counterexample or rejecting the original claim, this fallacy modifies the subject of the assertion to exclude the specific case or others like it by rhetoric, without reference to any specific objective rule ("no trueScotsman would do such a thing"; i.e., those who perform that action are not part of our group and thus criticism of that action is not criticism of the group).[3]
Ooh neat

I get what they're saying.

I just don't think it would play into the idea. I think it plays into the idea that the race of the character didn't really matter so this couldn't have been planned from the start. No one ever mentions any of the black characters in Star Wars being black or white, it's not built into the character's backstory. He coulda be Chinese or White or an Alien, it really wouldn't have mattered. I think they picked Boyega because Boyega was right for the part. And he did own his role. Not everything is a huge conspiracy.

I mean come on, it's a bit ridiculous right? Can you really imagine a bunch of people in a board room planning a Five Nights At Freddy's jumpscare, anticipating that the majority of America's gonna go "AH! A black man!! Never seen one of thems before!!"

Sony and Ghostbusters is definitely a better example.

Speaking of logical fallacies in this thread. The guy's idea of "progwashing" isn't a conspiracy, it's just abusing another type of logical fallacy called Red Herring. It's very common, actually. Definition: "The red herring is as much a debate tactic as it is a logical fallacy. It is a fallacy of distraction, and is committed when a listener attempts to divert an arguer from his argument by introducing another topic. This can be one of the most frustrating, and effective, fallacies to observe" (http://www.logicalfallacies.info/relevance/red-herring/). Feminists and SJWs love this fallacy.

So, checking out the newest episode of a soap opera on television is more important than discussing politics? Alright. Well, 'normal' is a construction of the current norm of a society. In 1930s-40s Germany, sympathizing with the Nazis was normal. I'd say that discussing politics, and browsing the internet, is far more normal than watching television. It would've been the other way around just 15 years ago.

Speaking of logical fallacies in this thread. The guy's idea of "progwashing" isn't a conspiracy, it's just abusing another type of logical fallacy called Red Herring. It's very common, actually. Definition: "The red herring is as much a debate tactic as it is a logical fallacy. It is a fallacy of distraction, and is committed when a listener attempts to divert an arguer from his argument by introducing another topic. This can be one of the most frustrating, and effective, fallacies to observe" (http://www.logicalfallacies.info/relevance/red-herring/). Feminists and SJWs love this fallacy.

So, checking out the newest episode of a soap opera on television is more important than discussing politics? Alright. Well, 'normal' is a construction of the current norm of a society. In 1930s-40s Germany, sympathizing with the Nazis was normal. I'd say that discussing politics, and browsing the internet, is far more normal than watching television. It would've been the other way around just 15 years ago.

Well I guess as you can see I don't have really much of an opinion on any of this, nor do I take the topic very seriously (honestly just seems like a bunch of ppl talking down to each other and complaining about modern media, trying to one up each other using a lot of nice fancy words. Tbh both "sides" of this issue talk so alike it gets hard to differentiate at points). But it was fun reading y'all responses anyway, so passionate, it's actually kinda cool. As for the actual topic at hand I don't care about SJWs taking over media tbh mostly bc I don't see much of a difference(just a bunch of old stuff getting changed). What I got from this thread was that it destroys creativity or something, Star Wars, ghostbusters, superhero stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back