Other Should I even worry about this?

trash.nyann

It's trashCAN, not trashCAN'T.
I've been out of the roleplaying game for years now, and my main way of roleplaying was mostly on tumblr.

Coming back on to this site, I've noticed peeps like longer, more elaborate RP posts, and I'm hecking nervous about my writing style and how simple it can be. I can't seem to write past 3 paragraphs, and worse, they're sometimes only a few sentences long each. I'm also not as detailed or descriptive in my writing as I'd like; it takes me a long time to even think about what to write, even when I really enjoy a RP.

I always think faster then I can write, and when I think of a super awesome line to put down, I instantly forget it, or reword it weirdly.

Everyone I RP with says that my style of writing is fine, and its quality over quantity, but I can't help but feel like I'm boring them to some degree. Heck, I don't even know what I'm trying to say out of all this angst, but I could really use some advice or viewpoints on how to get over this unease of mine.. :C​

I'm in definite agreement with the quality over quantity saying! Since you're just getting back into role-playing, cut yourself a bit of slack and allow yourself to get back into the swing of things! Don't forget that sometimes it's better to write a few sentences than to force yourself to write a lot more! Do what feels natural to you and you'll gradually improve!

If you're interested, something that helped me is sitting down and writing descriptions of a landscape or a photo of a real person for practice! But that's me, and it's a matter of finding what works for you.

I find that when I think of a cool line, I have to write it down immediately. Whether it be in a notebook, in the middle of another story/scene I'm writing, or even just on a sticky note! If you don't have one in your immediate area, if you can remember it, you could try saying it three times and finger write it in the air as you say it three times! I've heard it helps with memory!

At the end of the day, this is all for fun. I hope you feel better soon and wish you luck!

(I hope this all made sense haha, it's a bit late here so my thoughts may be scrambled.)

I'm in definite agreement with the quality over quantity saying! Since you're just getting back into role-playing, cut yourself a bit of slack and allow yourself to get back into the swing of things! Don't forget that sometimes it's better to write a few sentences than to force yourself to write a lot more! Do what feels natural to you and you'll gradually improve!

If you're interested, something that helped me is sitting down and writing descriptions of a landscape or a photo of a real person for practice! But that's me, and it's a matter of finding what works for you.

I find that when I think of a cool line, I have to write it down immediately. Whether it be in a notebook, in the middle of another story/scene I'm writing, or even just on a sticky note! If you don't have one in your immediate area, if you can remember it, you could try saying it three times and finger write it in the air as you say it three times! I've heard it helps with memory!

At the end of the day, this is all for fun. I hope you feel better soon and wish you luck!

(I hope this all made sense haha, it's a bit late here so my thoughts may be scrambled.)

Thank you for your kind words of encouragement! I never thought to write descriptions of landscapes before, and it sounds like a wonderful idea! I'll make sure to practice doing that~ <3 I know this is all for fun, but my mind just makes a mountain out of a molehill when it comes to these things lol Again, thank you so much~ UwQ

If everyone you RP with enjoys RPing with you and says your writing is fine, then its probably fine. (Really.) :) Browsing through interest checks here there seems to be quite a lot of people in the 1-3 paragraph length post bracket. It's just a matter of finding people who have the same kind of style as you do, and trying not to be too self-doubting about it.

I've been out of the roleplaying game for years now, and my main way of roleplaying was mostly on tumblr.

Coming back on to this site, I've noticed peeps like longer, more elaborate RP posts, and I'm hecking nervous about my writing style and how simple it can be. I can't seem to write past 3 paragraphs, and worse, they're sometimes only a few sentences long each. I'm also not as detailed or descriptive in my writing as I'd like; it takes me a long time to even think about what to write, even when I really enjoy a RP.

I always think faster then I can write, and when I think of a super awesome line to put down, I instantly forget it, or reword it weirdly.

Everyone I RP with says that my style of writing is fine, and its quality over quantity, but I can't help but feel like I'm boring them to some degree. Heck, I don't even know what I'm trying to say out of all this angst, but I could really use some advice or viewpoints on how to get over this unease of mine.. :C​

I've noticed too the trend towards more qualitative and larger paragraphs, interesting characters with reasonable strengths and weaknesses and a active GM who can balance keeping the group on the straight and narrow whilst still allowing people to get creative with their characters and postings. I absolutely believe it's a step in the right direction. Some people prefer shorter, more intense and faster flowing posts between characters and it certainly has a good place on this site for those that don't have the time and/or enjoy that sort of thing. As long as you strike a balance or agreement with your co-writers, on post requirements, focusing on quality over quantity, keeping in touch over the OOC chat and so forth. I think that it's a wonderful and furfilling enviroment for like-minded individuals who come from many different backgrounds with an assortment of 'tricks and tips' to share with each-other. :D

I've noticed too the trend towards more qualitative and larger paragraphs, interesting characters with reasonable strengths and weaknesses and a active GM who can balance keeping the group on the straight and narrow whilst still allowing people to get creative with their characters and postings. I absolutely believe it's a step in the right direction. Some people prefer shorter, more intense and faster flowing posts between characters and it certainly has a good place on this site for those that don't have the time and/or enjoy that sort of thing. As long as you strike a balance or agreement with your co-writers, on post requirements, focusing on quality over quantity, keeping in touch over the OOC chat and so forth. I think that it's a wonderful and furfilling enviroment for like-minded individuals who come from many different backgrounds with an assortment of 'tricks and tips' to share with each-other. :D
Oh, I hardly ever go into a group RP! I was mainly talking about 1x1 roleplays and whatnot.. But your advice is still very sound and helpful!~ <3

The thing is, it's not that "people here generally prefer longer replies". It's more like "some specific people you may have seen here prefer long replies".

You should trust your rp partners if they say your writing is fine :) If they rp with you it means they're fine with it.

You can't please everyone and even if you don't happen to match with someone who writes 10 paragrpahs while you write 3 and you find it uncomfortable it doesn't make you a worse roleplayer. Just means this one wasn't the right rp partner for you and there are other roleplayers you can have fun with while writing at a more comfortable pace.

There are plenty of people who like longer replies, and indeed, for those people it might be boring and unrewarding to receive shorter replies. However, the reverse is also true: There are many that not only enjoy, but actually prefer shorter responses. All three preferences in the detail spectrum exist (simple, casual and detailed), so there are, without question, people out there for you!

I believe that the best first step when it comes to these matters, is to figure your own preferences clearly. Length preferences don't come in isolation, they tend to come with a particular sort of mentality and approach to your writing. For example, a mentality which focuses more on the plot and what is happening, thus considering things that are besides the plot to be superfluous, tends to fall under the casual mentality. I explain the idea better and in more detailed on this thread.

Once you know your own length preferences, then you just need to be clear about it from the getgo. In interest checks look for those whose requirements better match the style you enjoy, and when making your own, make sure to properly express exactly what those preferences of yours are.

We welcome all styles of RP here, from one-liners to novella. It's more of a matter of who you are RPing with. Post length is a preference, and as long as your preferences align with your partners', you should be just fine. :)
I don't think you should worry about it too much unless you're actually getting complaints. If people are asking you to step it up, then you can either A: work to change your writing, which can be difficult and tedious. Or B: Find a new partner. One that will be fine with the way you write. In my opinion, this sounds like more of a social anxiety issue than a writing style issue, which I totally understand. I used to be the same way.

Try not to assume what people think of your writing, especially when they haven't had any critiques against it. It's not your job to make up their opinion about your writing, it's theirs. By assuming that people are displeased with your writing, you're putting words into their mouth, which I know I wouldn't appreciate. They said your writing style is fine, so you should take them at face value. They wouldn't lie to you, and if they did, then maybe they aren't the best people to be hanging around in the first place, right?

Anxiety is a beast sometimes, but you gotta remember that most anxiety is ultimately unnecessary. You probably won't be able to completely be rid of your nervous thoughts and doubts, but you can at least recognize that they're absurd, and move on knowing that you may just be a little self-conscious sometimes. That doesn't mean you have to dwell on it, or have to constantly ask if you're doing okay, it just means you may be a tad uncomfortable for a brief amount of time, and that's okay.

Never sell yourself short. It's like everyone's saying. Quality over quantity. As long as you give your partner(s) enough to work with it should be alright :)

Thank you all so much for your advice and encouragements! I'll make sure to keep what everyone's said in mind when I roleplay from now on. I know I'll still have some anxiety about certain things, but now I understand that I'm probably the only one worried about them! :closed eyes open smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back