• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fandom Shelter (Knowledge of Source Material NOT Required) (Rain World) (Minor Spoilers)

Should this be changed to a dice game?

• Yes!

• I'm good either way.

• No!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Endless_Stars

Screaming Void
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Story Prompt:
There was a time before the Rains. Little is known of that time now, for very little is left of the Ancients' civilization. The Scavengers guard their tribe's territory, every cycle taking tolls from travelers. The Slugcats travel in their nomadic lifestyles, often unknowing why they always feel the urge to move on. The Lizards keep hunting and fighting for food and territory. The land is coated in blood in this desperate fight for survival, only to be washed clean by the Rain. The dry season is about to end, clouds have turned the sky to a foreboding grey and the air is starting to mist. In the Outskirts creatures are rushing to their dens. But, for an unlucky few who have nowhere safe to go, a single Shelter is all there is. Here you all are, locked in a box together for this hibernation. To start a fight now would be... unwise. You all need to save strength for hibernation, and this cramped space is not viable for a fight. Though, how things will be when the shelter unseals is unknown for now. It would probably be best to strike up a conversation, no one seems too hungry...

Description:
This is a RP based off of the video game Rain World (2017). But, you can treat this as an original setting, I'll supply all necessary information. I am also willing to answer questions about the setting. If I don't explain something well enough, let me know and I will fix it and explain.
This is set in a post apocalyptic setting where humanity is gone and nature has mostly reclaimed the landscape. Pounding rains cover the land for long periods of time, separated by extremely short dry 'seasons' during which creatures come out to hunt. You will play as a group of these creatures, fighting for survival in a harsh ecosystem where you are both predator and prey.
I plan for this to be a somewhat open world for you to explore. I usually DM D&D, so I'm taking a somewhat similar approach here. I have things set up, and I'm just waiting for you to find them. The exact mood for this will be set by you, the Players. I'm setting it up as a grim survival adventure of sorts, but if the Players start taking a different route then I'm flexible.

About Spoilers, the Setting, and the Alternate Universe:
This role-play itself will contain some medium to large spoilers to the game Rain World. If you are unsure about being spoiled, I suggest checking out the pinned post on r/rainworld. It explains the game spoiler free, so you can decide if it is something you would be interested in playing or not.
In this RP spoilers will include information about game mechanics and lore about the Ancients and Iterators. It will not have spoilers for the late stage of the game.
I will be setting the story much earlier than the earliest playable point in the game. This means that it will be set in an alternate universe, so not all lore in this will be accurate to source material. If you are familiar with the Drought mod on RainDB, this is set about at the time of the journey of the Wanderer in the timeline.

Available Character Species:
Rain World is full of many colorful creatures. For the sake of sanity I will be limiting characters to certain species.
A species of medium omnivore, these clever creatures often act as messengers for the Iterators. They are able to climb decently, use tools (though they are not good at making them), store a small item or two in their throat pouch, and leap medium distances. Slugcats are often skilled in communication with the different species of the world, and some have this skill enhanced to amazing heights by the Iterators. Some Slugcats have been genetically engineered by the Iterators to act as messengers. These Slugcats often have heightened abilities of various kinds, though they often come with drawbacks. A Slugcat can also become 'Enlightened' by a mysterious process related to the Iterators, but not intentionally caused by them. An Enlightened Slugcat is able to glow with bright bioluminescence, able to light up small areas. They can come in a large variety of colors, usually mostly solid with occasional markings on the ears, tail, and limbs.
Switch_RainWorld_description-char.png
A species of medium omnivore, these are the decedents of the Ancients (humanity)... probably. They are able to climb decently, use and make tools, and carry large amounts of items in purpose-made pouches and straps. Scavengers tend to be particularly bad at swimming. Scavenger tribes are common throughout the land, and many set up tolls of sorts where they demand gifts of Pearls or other valuable items. Scavengers wear masks with antlers on them, this is an ancient tradition among them and it is taboo to remove the mask. Most worship the Iterators as the gods of the old world. Other see the Iterators as the destroyers of the old world and the bringers of the Rain. Scavenger coloration is usually brown, black, grey, or white with the occasional orange or yellow mixed in.
dbtwhyv-aad5af32-cb66-48a8-98bd-794391a054df.png
A species of large carnivores, there are multiple subspecies with widely different traits. Most are primarily black with highlighting colors of various shades, but this varies between subspecies.
The smallest species of Lizard, this subspecies is often preyed upon by other, larger, Lizards. The Blue Lizard can climb up shear surfaces and cling to ceilings. They have a sticky tongue that they can use to catch prey (much like a frog), though their tongues are not super long. While quite fragile, these lizards are quick on their feet.
These Lizards are all born blind and use their many whiskers to find their way most of the time. Capable of echolocation and equipped with an extraordinary sense of smell these Lizards are the masters of dark spaces and tracking down hidden prey. They are also decent climbers, about on par with Orange Lizards.
The Pink Lizard is one of the showiest subspecies of Lizard. Often covered in long, brightly colored frills these Lizards are skilled climbers. While unable to cling to walls like the Blue, Cyan, and White Lizards, the Pink are amazingly fast on poles. They use their frills in a multitude of displays, often expressing their mood and intent. Pink Lizards are fairly clever and have excellent vision, allowing them to spot ambush predators from a distance.
One of the larger species of Lizard, they are heavily armored and heavily muscled. These Lizards are brave and brash and never back down from a fight. Territorial and craving the meat of other subspecies these lizards do not often get along with others. Because of their weight they are poor climbers, but they make up for it with sheer brawn. Green Lizards are able to leap into headlong charges to grab prey. Their bite is incredibly strong, and incredibly deadly. While their charge is short-lived, it is incredibly fast and because of their bulk it packs one hell of a punch.
The cleverest of the subspecies, the Orange Lizard is capable of psychic communication with its pack. Using the long antenna on their head, the Orange Lizard can share messages, images, and even memories with other Orange Lizards. Because of their psychic nature these lizards often don't spend time with other subspecies, seeing them as dull and lacking emotion. Orange Lizard packs are small hive minds lead by an Alpha who directs the pack. Orange Lizards are decent climbers, about on par with the Grey Lizards.
The White Lizard is a patient ambush predator. Able to cling to walls and ceilings, change color at will and armed with a long sticky tongue these predators can catch even the most alert of prey. White Lizards are often quite laid back and patient, opting to wait for the best opportunity to strike. When injured or under great stress White Lizards will often lose control of their color changing and strobe through random colors.
These semiaquatic Lizards are most at home in the water. Able to breath both air and water, and equipped with a finned tail and webbed feet these Lizards are masters of the water. They have a medium length sticky tongue that they use to catch unsuspecting prey from behind water plants in shallow water. Their frills can range from mauve to pink to white. While the Salamanders are lone hunters they are often comfortable sharing space with other Lizards.
Closely related to the Blue Lizards, these predators are startling quick. They are able to cling to walls, though they have a lot of trouble hanging upside-down. They also have short, sticky tongues, much like the Blue Lizard. What sets the Cyan Lizard apart from the other subspecies is its ability to leap great distances at great speed. Using stored gas the Cyan Lizard is able to launch itself at its prey at breakneck speeds. These Lizards often have a few large frills and bioluminescent spots.
The largest and most deadly of all Lizards, the Red Lizard is universally feared. Able to climb faster than even the Pink Lizards, and swim almost as quick as the Salamanders, these massive Lizards are hard to escape from. To make the situation even deadlier, Red Lizards are able to spit globs of heavy goo that sticks to and slows down its prey. Their bite is even more powerful than that of the Green Lizard, though only by a bit. They are often covered in large, bright frills which they use to posture to each other and intimidate other large predators. Even though the Red Lizard is a powerful predator, they are quite rare, even more so in recent times...(See * for info)
rain_world____lizards_by_caseys42_dd1khbk-fullview.jpg

Relevant World Info:
A section where I put more information about the world, such as creatures and useful structures. If someone asks questions about something I will put the answer here as well. Note: characters would most likely not have all of this information, but this is for clarification for the Players so you know what I'm talking about.
The world is covered in pounding, deadly rain for most of the time. It only pauses for short dry seasons, during which is the only time for creatures to find food. The rain falls with enough power to crush any creature directly under it, and it floods the landscape with freezing water that quickly kills anything that hasn't found a dry place to hide in. During the rainy season creatures hibernate in whatever safe hollow they can find. This is often a Shelter, a piece of Ancient technology that is still functioning, if barely.
These small, dark rooms are accessible through small tunnels. They seal just before the start of the Rain, and are a safe place to hibernate. These bunkers are rare and ensure a safe, dry rainy season. But they are not without risk. On occasion a Shelter may malfunction and not open during a dry season. If the creature(s) within do not have a store of extra food then they may starve. They are believed to have been built by the Ancients, though their original purpose is unknown.
These glossy spheres are about the size of a baseball. They are prized by Scavengers who use them as currency and signs of status. Pearls are used as data storage by Iterators. Ancient Pearls can be found scattered across the land, often holding pieces of ancient knowledge. The only way to decipher them is to bring it to an Iterator to read for you. With communications down Iterators will write messages in a Pearl and send a Slugcat to carry the pearl to another Iterator. If the Slugcat can survive the journey with the Pearl intact.
450px-The_Scholar_-_Passage_Artwork.png
They are partially organic, partially mechanical Artificial Intelligences built by the Ancients to solve their 'Great Problem'. They have a humanoid avatar in their core, which is the center of their consciousness, but their body is the entire structure that they live in. The Ancients built cities atop the structures of Iterators. Filled with an insatiable drive to solve the Great Problem and faced with their inability to do so many Iterators have gone mad. With the disappearance of the Ancients the massive structures that sustain them have started to break down. The Iterators have been progressively cut off from each other as their communication infrastructure breaks down, leading them to create purpose-built organisms to act as messengers. They are still trying to solve the Great Problem, though most are using dramatically differing methods. Iterators observe the world outside their structure through small Overseers.
D0gLPFRU8AAY02l.jpg
These small automata are the eyes and ears of the Iterators. They have basic personalities, but are absolutely loyal to their Iterator. Each Iterator has their own color of Overseer. Overseers are capable of projecting small holograms. Some Overseers are helpful to lost creatures. Defiant Scavengers will hunt the Overseers and take their glass eye as a trophy.
625540.jpg

Other Info:
If you want to have multiple characters, go for it.** If you want to have one character, go for it. I am up for supporting multiple play styles.
About the poll- If it is desired by those playing, I can convert this into a custom dice system. We don't necessarily have to decide right at the start. If there are players greatly against this then we will not do this. I'm trying to make people the most happy that I can here.
If you have questions, ask! I like answering questions.

*Because of the Red Lizard's strength I am going to politely request that we keep to only a few at most.
**If the game is changed to a dice system you will have to choose only one character.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back