• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fandom Self indulgent Canon + OC doubling exchange, details within

jellopy

1 ea.
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
My Interest Check
Hello! I'm jellopy, eternally cursed to have super specific Canon x OC cravings from lesser-known series without much in the way of fandom presence. Years ago I used to have some success by offering a sort of trade: in return for you checking out the fandom I'm looking for and seeing if you're able to write the character I'm looking for, I'll double as a character you're looking for. I'm dusting that concept off again because my craving isn't going anywhere anytime soon and I haven't had so much as a nibble on my searches so far. Before I explain the details, here's a bit about me so you can see if we might be compatible as writers.

- I'm in my early 30s and thus prefer to write with those over 21. If you're between 18 and 21 I'm possibly still interested though so don't hesitate to poke me. If you're still in high school things probably won't work out, though. It's a me thing, not a you thing.
- I am able to play characters of all genders and would like partners who are also able to do so.
- I will only write with people who are comfortable with LGBTQ+ themes even if we end up doing MxF pairings.
- Platonic and romantic relationships are equally welcome. I would slightly prefer something romantic for my side of things but I can be flexible there!
- I would like a partner who can write at least one to two paragraphs per character (when doubling), per post, in third person perspective. My posts tend to average between two and six paragraphs per character. I'm pretty easygoing about this because I believe that post length can and should vary depending on what's going on in the scene, how we're feeling at the moment, personal inspiration levels, so on and so forth.
- Along those lines, I can't promise any specific posting schedule. I have a lot of RPs unrelated to the whole Canon x OC craving going on, my inspiration level wavers, sometimes I just don't have time. That being said I do tend to post anywhere between once a week and multiple times a day. If I haven't responded in over a week I'll probably let you know why it's taking longer than usual.
- I will play side characters, villains, and other NPCS as needed and ask that my partner does as well. This is important in order to flesh out the setting and story!
- Communication is vital! I'll let you know what's up or if a post doesn't work for me and I'd love the same in return. I understand it can be scary to feel like you're letting someone down but I've been an RPer for a long-ass time (20 years now!) and I promise I understand how fickle things can be sometimes.
- I'd rather write somewhere private. PMs, e-mail, Discord are all available to me. If you have another method you prefer I'm willing to consider it. No public threads, please.
- AUs, canon divergences and crossovers welcome and encouraged. When it comes to AUs I'm not a huge fan of domestic modern stuff unless I hit it off really well with a partner or there's some sort of fantastical hook to the premise. I love headcanons and taking canon characters and making them our own.
- If you're not interested or able to play the character I'm asking for we won't do the RP. This is not a typical fandom search, I'm offering the doubling as an incentive to help find people who might want to try this character out for me.
- That being said, I put effort and care into doubling when I do it!

I think that covers everything, so I'll get down to business now. The specific fandom I'm looking for is a fantasy battle shounen series called Dragon Quest: Adventure of Dai (or Dai no Daibouken, to use the romanized title). It's based on the Dragon Quest game series but doesn't follow the plot of any of the games or feature game characters. However, concepts from the games like the class system, spells, and monsters feature heavily. The original manga started in the late 80s and ended in the mid 90s so it's definitely got some retro appeal in terms of art, characterization, and story. The manga is pretty long, sitting at around 360 chapters.

There are two anime adaptations of this series. One, from the early 90s, only adapted the first few story arcs before ending prematurely. The other began airing in Fall 2020 and is scheduled to adapt the entire series. I recommend watching the first five episodes of the 2020 version to get a taste of what the series is all about in terms of tone, plot, and characters.

The specific character I'm looking for shows up in those early episodes. He's a 'tutor of heroes' known as Avan, and his goofy over the top facade conceals great compassion, power, and knowledge. I'd be looking to play an adult OC who crosses paths with him and... well, we can figure out the details together. I do have some vague ideas I can bring forth but I'd rather be flexible when it comes to searching for something specific and obscure like this.

Admittedly he's kind of a tricky character to ask for with Canon x OC RP and in order to explain why I'd have to spoil the series somewhat. So while I would prefer a partner who's read the entire manga and has the whole context, I also understand it's quite a leap to ask someone to read a whole 350+ chapter series just for one RP. I'm more than willing to write with those who only know the anime version and can fill you in on any extra details if need be.

Basically, the bulk of his screentime is situated at the beginning and end of the series with flashbacks interspersed throughout. If you watch the first 5 episodes (or read the first volume or so of the manga) it appears he dies sacrificing himself for his students, and this seems to be what the author intended at first. But as the series progressed the author decided to find a way to bring him back, so he shows up during the final arc and explains that his life was saved thanks to a special talisman that held secret protective abilities.

Said talisman was given to him by his canon love interest, whom he seems to marry in the epilogue... so yeah. I'm absolutely not interested in a cheating or homewrecking plot so if we do something based on canon we'd need to adjust that detail and perhaps change the canon relationship to something more of a platonic relationship, orrrrr perhaps polyamorous with the canon love interest and the OC.

If you do decide to read the manga I will offer some content warnings in advance. There are fanservice moments such as panty shots and breast touching, as well as a perverted character who touches characters without their consent. The 2020 anime version removes these moments for the most part, but I don't feel comfy recommending the manga without also giving a heads up about its less than desirable aspects.

As for what I'd play in return for you writing Avan, that can be discussed! My tastes tend towards anime, manga, and video game fandoms. I don't do Marvel or DC at the moment, I'm not into most live action TV series, and I don't do anything Harry Potter.

It's hard for me to list fandoms since I'm kind of scatterbrained and forgetful so this is not an exhaustive list of everything I know. Since my memory suuuuucks I'm pretty rusty with my knowledge of most of these, unfortunately. Again, this is not an exhaustive list. If something isn't listed here please ask me about it! I might also be willing to check out a series I don't know, especially since that's what I'm asking any potential partners to do.

- Dragon Quest XI (With the caveat I am very slowly playing through this and still very, very early on. I keep getting distracted by DQ Tact instead.)
- Final Fantasy VII (Very slowly playing through Remake. Played the original ages ago. I don't know the Compilation stuff aside from AC super well.)
- Final Fantasy XIV (I'm pretty much all caught up on everything except Eden and the Bozja quests!)
- Final Fantasy XV (I'm rusty on this, haven't played the game in years and haven't played the Ardyn DLC yet but would possibly be willing to shake the rust off if your choice of character or concept catches my interest. I've had some bad experiences with this fandom though so I might be hesitant.)
- Akudama Drive (Not interested in writing Cutthroat or Doctor but everyone else is on the table)
- Deca-dence
- Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z (No GT or Super though. Super rusty on this one too, tbh. Adult characters only.)
- Naruto (pre-timeskip only, I still haven't watched Shippuden. I'd only be comfortable playing the adults here and tbh it's kind of a longshot but... maaaybe?)
- JJBA Parts 1-4 (I still haven't watched Part 5. I've read through Part 7 but don't remember the details as well. Adult characters only.)
- I know a lot of miscellaneous old and obscure anime fandoms that I'm not even gonna list because the chance of finding people who RP them is basically zero so if you have an obscure anime/manga fave just try me, you might be surprised.

If you stuck through and read all of that, thank you for your time. I ask any interested partners to PM me, but please be descriptive in your message so I know why you're PMing me!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back