• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Sci-Fantasy D&D 5e, anyone?

Ok, they'll just be small-sized elves for all intents and purposes.

Also, working on the homebrew firearms stats.
I'm thinking that easily-acquired firearms will generally resemble early 20th century firearms, give things a steampunk vibe. For example, Mauser pistols and Tommy Guns.
A regular, semi-automatic pistol will be a more expensive hand crossbow without the loading feature.

I'm trying to think though, what should an automatic weapon's effect be? Maybe they attack all the creatures standing in a line or a cone, or something along those lines? What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Protagonist Protagonist ... Dude, those weapons are kinda janky ... like, the bomb should probably be a thrown weapon, which would have a standard range of 10ft, with standard penalties to hit every 5 feet thereafter. I get what you were thinking with the SA-pistols and revolvers, but really you can have revolvers and SA-pistols of the same calibre, it's the firing speed and ammo capacity that the SA-pistol is better for. For the SMG, maybe instead of an area of effect, burstfire could let you add up to like ... 5 additional attacks, with each suffering a cumulative attack penalty.

The shotgun is a perfect contender for the area attack though. 3.5e made shotguns a 15 or 30 foot cone with a reflex save. I feel like the rifle should have better range than a pistol ... like, at least equal to a longbow at 120ft, and the carbine then should be at least 80. Also, if the rifle is high calibre, maybe make it slow to reload ...

Also, keep in mind, for every cool ranged weapon you add, you render melee weapons ever-so-slightly more obsolete. Who's going to want to bring a shortsword to a shootout? And before you say "A jedi, Neon ... a f@#king jedi ...", then I remind you that lightsabers are like the best parts of a gun and a sword ... so they don't count ... and neither do gunblades ...

Now ... at this point, feel free to hate me, for I am Neon Valkyrie, crusher of dreams, harbinger of criticisms, Rulemonger, bringer of dorkness ... She ... who kills joys.

As much as I can appreciate the effort this took, I still feel it might be easiest (and least mechanically troublesome) if we just refluffed the crossbows to be guns by removing the Loading tag.

But can you bojazzle with a reskinned crossbow? Yes, yes you can. Though I was trying to give firearms different stats than crossbows since I don't want to completely supersede them.

But I suppose it probably would just be easiest, since we know how those weapons work and we also know that they're balanced.

Anyways, working on writing down the cultures of every race/nation. To sum things up:
-Humans have a Renaissance/early industrial age theme.
-Androids have an asiatic theme.
-Fae are collection of nature-loving tribes and live in forests.
-Dragonborns are a collection of warrior tribes.
-Tritons are pirates
-Genasi are egyptians run by sorcerers
-Dwarves are likely going to be nordic; though I might also keep them more similar to what you typically see in fantasy (mining and what have you)
-The Enigma and Tiefling societies are gothicpunk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back