• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Sci-Fantasy D&D 5e, anyone?

Protagonist

One Thousand Club
So, I'd like to start a D&D 5e campaign, though I'd like to try something other than just a typical medieval fantasy setting. I'm thinking maybe a sort of sci-fantasy post-apocalyptic setting on a world that used to be advanced but was destroyed and regressed technologically as a result; with adventuring parties often being sent to recover lost, technological artifacts.

The OOC is up!
https://www.rpnation.com/threads/escape-from-thulcandra-ooc.339535/

Last edited:
Knowing what I know about DnD's overall development history, this isn't as different as you might think. :xFwink:

That said, I have always been interested a setting that embraces the sci-fi elements DnD, instead pretending it didn't exist. Not 100% sold on the pokemon thing, but color me intrigued for now.

I'm thinking that the campaign will revolve around two things:

#1: Portals have been opening up on the world recently, with monsters and soldiers from an otherworldly civilization called The Enigma popping in and starting to invade the world our characters live in.

#2: Our characters are trying to find artifacts with which to create a spaceship and escape this world, perhaps to find help among the stars with the Enigma invasion.

I doesn't mean anything, so you just kind of bojazzle it in wherever you feel like bojazzling.

... Kind of like "Smurf"

EDIT: Yeaaaah, JayTee JayTee 's got it down!

I like you already.

On a side note:
what_the_heck_is_a_mokona_by_flamedog1-d5g0g88.gif

Protagonist Protagonist
JayTee JayTee

Oh, get setup now, players will come. As for the story itself, what if a race of dark interlopers arrive in sky ships to harvest the planet's remaining life force, driving the protagonists to seek out an ancient device that allows normal vehicles to travel between worlds? We find it just in time and use it to escape with a small, rag-tag group of survivors. The artifact could have a few preprogrammed coordinates that we use to escape from the baddies, only to learn that our world used to be an outpost colony for a vast, interstellar, magic-punk civilization (kinda like Thor ... but waaaay less Marvel-y).

EDIT: Basically just mash all your ideas together with reckless abandon, minus pokemon.

I'm good with starting things now. What level will we be starting at? I'd prefer a higher one, if possible, somewhere in the 7-10 range. I'm a little tired of starting at lower levels and then never getting to use any of the exciting higher level class features because of the somewhat slow pace PbP games go at.

Protagonist Protagonist
JayTee JayTee

Oh, get setup now, players will come. As for the story itself, what if a race of dark interlopers arrive in sky ships to harvest the planet's remaining life force, driving the protagonists to seek out an ancient device that allows normal vehicles to travel between worlds? We find it just in time and use it to escape with a small, rag-tag group of survivors. The artifact could have a few preprogrammed coordinates that we use to escape from the baddies, only to learn that our world used to be an outpost colony for a vast, interstellar, magic-punk civilization (kinda like Thor ... but waaaay less Marvel-y).

That was basically my idea.
We'll be probably be aware at the start that we were put here by some a civilization (known as Zion) that crossed the stars, or at least be aware that that's a common legend spread by the main LG religion of the setting. Said religion worships Metatron, who according to them is a machine god built from a star.

The Enigma has appeared in this world's legends, but haven't been seen directly until very recently. They're a civilization of multiple races, but are mostly humans. They generally fight using unholy magic (including death clerics and antipaladins), necromancy, and biological warfare. Their stated goal on the planet is to "accelerate revolutionary efforts to create a classless society free of religion, money, and dangerous technology (such as AI)". In other words, they're Necromancer Communists from Space!!!

I'm good with starting things now. What level will we be starting at? I'd prefer a higher one, if possible, somewhere in the 7-10 range. I'm a little tired of starting at lower levels and then never getting to use any of the exciting higher level class features because of the somewhat slow pace PbP games go at.

Not sure, yet. Maybe level 6?

Hm, trying to think how guns should work. I'll allow artificer gunsmiths. Should other classes have proficiency in firearms? Maybe it's a feat or something?

Just throw it under the "Martial Weapons" category and give it a damage/range/whatever stats you feel appropriate for it to be balanced against other ranged weapons. Maybe a moderate damage die (1d6?) with a high critic rate.

No need to go super special with it. The game rarely takes in to consideration specifics when it comes to weapons and armor. It's more about generalities than anything else.

EDIT:
Neon Valkyrie Neon Valkyrie Depending on the level, either a Fighter or a Bard.
Protagonist Protagonist Level 6 works, although I certainly wont complain if you bump that up to 7 :xFwink:

Yeah, firearms will work like crossbows for the most part, just with more umph. Might make them or their ammo pricier to compensate.

Looking at the projectile weapons in the book, the Crossbows seems to do exactly what we need. Depending if you want to go with revolvers and leaver/bolt action rifles, all you'd have to do is remove the "Loading" tag and we'd have a solid approximation of firearms.

Also, I'm thinking that androids in this setting might be reskinned aasimar?

Wait. Isn't there a warforged race?

Ah! Very cool!

I might make a subrace of that which is powered by divine magic, but I'm not sure how that would work just yet.

As for other races, I'm thinking that aside from humans and warforged there will be five races. Some ideas so far:

-Dwarves: Likely with a nordic-style culture, but I'm not yet sure.
-Tritons: Which inhabit the world's largest sea and are often sailors, and tend to talk like pirates.
-Genasi: Which will be a mageocracy, I'm thinking perhaps with an Egyptian-style culture?
-Dragonborn: Which will probably be this setting's "proud warrior race".

And I'm still deciding on elves. I'm thinking I might use vanilla elves, or I might make a "fae"-style race that's like a cross between an elf and a halfling. What do you guys think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back