Newsletter RpNation Newsletter: August 2019

[div class=container][div class=header][div class=tri][/div][/div][div class=headertxt]August Newsletter[/div][div class=ofthemonth][div class=headerf]Housekeeping Announcements[/div][/div]

August's Supporter Badge
augyy.png
Many thanks to @Fyuri!​
  • So many updates! By now you should have noticed the massive changes to the front page of the site. We've merged and organized with the official release of the filter feature. You can read more here.

• With all these changes to the forums you may need to re-watch certain areas, such as the new master introduction thread as the introductions forum has officially been retired.

• Background updates have also happened. Alerts that are unread will be marked with a star now (this will help light theme users greatly). The search function has greatly expanded with an autofill suggestion based on keywords and new shiny options.

• Post Areas is a new tab that can be found on profiles. You'll be able to see where you and others most frequently post. It only lists the top 10 areas.

• A writing event is underway! You can read more about Action August here!

[div class=otm][div class=avatar]
14171.jpg
[/div][div class=info]Roleplay of the Month
@Shagranoz [/div][/div]
Give everyone a quick summary about your roleplay.
Ravenwood Academy itself is focused around a school for villains, powered and nonpowered alike. Right now, we're finishing up the first day of classes and prepping for our first missions, a couple of robberies.

What is your favorite part about an evil focused roleplay?
I thought this would be an interesting roleplay to GM because it gives us a chance to do things, both in terms of powers and morals, that we'd never do in real life. Most people aren't exactly the criminal type, and if they are, it's not something they can be public about.

What do you enjoy most about GMing?
What I enjoy most about GMing is building a world with other people. Everyone brings a new idea to the table, and sometimes, people just get on a roll and have something really special. Get a couple of those together, and you have a fully fleshed-out world that leads to great roleplays.

How do you overcome your struggles as a GM?
The most important thing when it comes to being a better GM is to learn from one's mistakes. When a roleplay finally kicks the bucket, look at it one last time, and see what you could have done better to keep it alive. Now you know for next time.

How did you come about roleplaying?
I started roleplaying on TV Tropes as a way to better my writing. It eventually became something full-fledged, separate from that- though I still dream of writing a story featuring some of my characters

How did you discover RpNation?
To tell you the truth, I can't recall how I found this site.

Do you have a superstition regarding roleplay? If so what is it exactly?
I'm not superstitious when it comes to roleplay... though I am a little stitious. (Sorry, old joke.)

What is your favorite quote? What is your favorite trope?
I don't have a favorite quote or trope.

Would you rather be a master of every musical instrument or be fluent in every language?
I'd rather be fluent in every language, seems like it would be more useful. Besides, I could finally live every retail drone's dream- swearing at an obnoxious customer and getting away with it!

Do you have any other projects in the works that you would like to share?
When Ravenwood is done, I think I might reboot my old demigod roleplay. Stay tuned![/div]

[div class=featheader]More Features[/div]
[div class=features]
[div class=smavatar]
7658.jpg
[/div][div class=sminfo]Featured Discussion
@MDL[/div]
Most of us have had to do some kind of research in our lives and some of those topics can be rather interesting. A lot of us have relied on Wikipedia for our new found knowledge. You may find a favourite and delve deeper as you click through the many wiki links provided along the way. Here's somewhere to drop some of your favourite links and topics that you've stumbled upon during your wiki travels - Your favourite wikipedia pages?
[div class=smavatar]
51008.jpg
[/div][div class=sminfo]Featured Prose
@Pai Chan[/div]
Moonlight Revelation is a story that its author @Pai Chan started writing in middle school. It can be described as Young Adult fiction, in Urban Fantasy genre. The compelling story follows several characters and every chapter is packed with action, mystery and magic!
[div class=smavatar]
71099.jpg
[/div][div class=sminfo]Featured BBCode
@dogsbeforedudes [/div]
@dogsbeforedudes's lovely thread ✧ — with great power comes great responsibility | freebies shares lovely codes that are aesthetically pleasing. Through the mixture of function and color they have created a wonderful little collection and we hope to see more!
[div class=smavatar]
38708.jpg
[/div][div class=sminfo]Featured Character
idalie idalie [/div]
The I.M. Academy received quite the student in Clémentine Maria D'Avignon. A natural-born divinator and high-born lady of great generosity, but whose personality definitely reflects her upbringing- as does the rest of the character. With elegant and pertinent descriptions and decisive characterization that does not shy away from the environment or education of the character, this lady will no doubt be an exquisite addition to her roleplay

[div class=featheader]Suggest Features[/div]
If you are interested in suggesting a feature for next month's newsletter please read the following information and instructions. There are a few rules though.
  1. Previously featured members for Member of the Month or Roleplay of the Month cannot be featured again for that category. This means if a user has already been featured in a certain section of the newsletter that they cannot be featured in that section again.

2. Please do not spam multiple suggestions or messages.

3. Remember that not all suggestions are going to be accepted. While your suggestions are appreciated there are limited slots in each newsletter. If your suggestion isn't accepted please do not let it make you disheartened; there is always the next newsletter. Additionally, some suggestions may not meet the requirements to be featured in the newsletter.

4. Please do not expect or anticipate a response to your suggestion. This isn't to be rude but rather Staff having limited time.

5. All suggestions will be kept anonymous, meaning we won't be sharing who suggested who/what for the newsletter.
What are you suggesting as a feature? (Options include Member, Roleplay, Character, Discussion, Artist, Prose, Poetry, #forumgame)
Please provide a direct link to your suggestion.
Why do you think your suggestion should be featured in the newsletter?

Please fill out the form and send a PM to Fyuri.
[div class=featheader]Trivia Time![/div]
The answer to last week's trivia is dictionary!​

[div class=featheader]Would You Rather[/div]
Would you rather be a master of every musical instrument or be fluent in every language?

[/div]

[class=container] width:100%; min-height:400px; [/class] [class=header] width:100%; height:300px; background: radial-gradient(ellipse at 50% 100%, rgba(200,241,247,1) 0%,rgba(45,149,188,1) 66%,rgba(18,74,125,1) 100%); display: flex; align-items: center; justify-content: center; position: relative; overflow: hidden; [/class] [class=tri] width: 0; height: 0; border-style: solid; border-width: 0 100px 100px 100px; border-color: transparent transparent #313131 transparent; align-self: flex-end; z-index: 2; [/class] [class=headertxt] width:100%; background:#313131; font-family:'Oswald', Verdana, Arial; font-size:50px; color:#fff; text-align:center; [/class] [class=ofthemonth] text-align:justify; padding-top:10px; [/class] [class name=leaf] color: #fff; font-size: initial; text-shadow: 0 0 1px #000; position:absolute; top:-10%; pointer-events: none; animation-name:{post_id}leafsfall,{post_id}leafsshake; animation-duration:10s,3s; animation-timing-function:linear,ease-in-out; animation-iteration-count:infinite,infinite; animation-play-state:running,running; [/class] [animation=leafsfall] [keyframe=0]top: -10%[/keyframe] [keyframe=100]top: 100%[/keyframe] [/animation] [animation=leafsshake] [keyframe=0]transform: translateX(0px)[/keyframe] [keyframe=50]transform: translateX(80px)[/keyframe] [keyframe=100]transform: translateX(0px)[/keyframe] [/animation] [class=avatar] width:96px; height:96px; border:1px solid rgba(255,255,255, 0.5); display:inline-block; vertical-align:middle; border-radius:50%; overflow:hidden; [/class] [class=info] display:inline-block; vertical-align:middle; padding-left:5px; font-family:'Oswald', Verdana, Arial; font-size:30px; [/class] [class=featheader] width:100%; background:#313131; font-family:'Oswald', Verdana, Arial; font-size:30px; color:#fff; text-align:center; -webkit-box-shadow: 0px 0px 10px 1px rgba(255,255,255,0.3); -moz-box-shadow: 0px 0px 10px 1px rgba(255,255,255,0.3); box-shadow: 0px 0px 10px 1px rgba(255,255,255,0.3); [/class] [class=features] text-align:justify; padding-top:10px; [/class] [class=smavatar] width:48px; height:48px; border:1px solid rgba(255,255,255, 0.5); display:inline-block; vertical-align:middle; border-radius:50%; overflow:hidden; [/class] [class=sminfo] display:inline-block; vertical-align:middle; padding-left:5px; font-family:'Oswald', Verdana, Arial; font-size:20px; [/class] [class=headerf] width:100%; background:#313131; font-family:'Oswald', Verdana, Arial; font-size:30px; color:#fff; text-align:center; -webkit-box-shadow: 0px 0px 10px 1px rgba(255,255,255,0.3); -moz-box-shadow: 0px 0px 10px 1px rgba(255,255,255,0.3); box-shadow: 0px 0px 10px 1px rgba(255,255,255,0.3); [/class] [class=divider] width:100%; border-bottom:3px solid #313131; margin-top:10px; [/class] [class=text] display: inline-block -webkit-columns: 2 200px; -moz-columns: 2 200px; columns: 2 200px; -webkit-column-gap: 2em; -moz-column-gap: 2em; column-gap: 2em; [/class] [class=otm] box-sizing:border-box; width:100%; background: #313131; padding:5px; color:#fff; -webkit-box-shadow: 0px 0px 10px 1px rgba(255,255,255,0.3); -moz-box-shadow: 0px 0px 10px 1px rgba(255,255,255,0.3); box-shadow: 0px 0px 10px 1px rgba(255,255,255,0.3); [/class] [class=info] display:inline-block; vertical-align:middle; padding-left:5px; font-family:'Oswald', Verdana, Arial; font-size:30px; [/class] [class name=QBubble] position: relative; display: inline-block; padding: 10px 15px; width: auto; max-width: 80%; height: auto; border: 0px solid white; border-radius: 15px; border-top-left-radius: 0; background-color: #e5e5ea; color: black; margin-right: auto; text-align: left; [/class] [class name=ABubble] position: relative; display: inline-block; float: right; padding: 10px 15px; width: auto; max-width: 80%; height: auto; border: 0px solid white; border-radius: 15px; border-top-right-radius: 0; background-color: #0B93F6; margin-left: auto; margin-bottom: 2px; color: white; text-align: left; [/class]​

Last edited by a moderator:
One of these days one of my roleplays will be picked as rp of the month where I will proceed to give answers that vary from heartfelt to s***-post. Stay tuned!

I've been pretty lazy when it comes to doing anything on this site, but I like to imagine one day I'll put everything I have into getting some of my own stories and roleplaying content on RPNation. If my brother can make something worthy of the newsletter, then so can I.
Musical instruments would let you be a one man band, but it is extremely hard to pass up being fluent in every language. There are tons of reasons you would want this, but I'm going to tell you the one I believe is the most important.
Do you want to get closer to people? Do you want to really immerse yourself in another country's culture? Or, even better, do you want everyone you meet around the world to go "HOLY SHIT THIS PERSON CAN SPEAK MY LANGUAGE!"

I believe when you're visiting another country and speak to a native resident in their own language, they no longer think of you as just a tourist, but someone they can talk to more easily as well as a person who has clearly gone through the effort of learning their language.

It's true that music can be considered a language all on its own and you can definitely impress people by playing the music known to their culture, but when you're able to break the language barrier like this, you can make a tourist of your country feel like they never left home, and you can befriend all sorts of people simply because you can hold a fluent conversation with them.
  • It does not say you can only be fluent in spoken languages. Now you know sign language, Braille, historical languages, and even computer coding languages.
  • You can now roleplay with anyone who doesn't speak your main language.
  • If your Russian teammates insult you in Counter Strike, you can insult them back.
  • Easiest job of your life. Although if you put "I can speak every language" on your resumé not everyone will take you seriously, so you'll have to head over and prove it to them instead.
  • Aren't there historical texts somewhere in the world that still need to be translated? Surely you can help them out now!

Every Language. I already play piano, and I like the idea of music being something everyone must work for. Knowing every language instantly makes me the most valuable and therefore most highly-paid translator on the Earth! I can pay for college :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back