Rper Stereotypes (and what they do)

Honestly, I'd rather SHOW you guys what I mean than explain it. So here you go.

(PS: This is not a real character sheet)

(PPS: Hate these characters because I see them EVERYWHERE regardless of genre or setting.)

adorable-beanie-black-black-and-white-Favim.com-2209912.jpg

Name:

Alex Huggins

18 (but looks 16)

Sexuality:

Pansexual, Demi-Romantic

Background:

Alex always had a tough life, his father being abusive and his mother an alcoholic. He soon found that the only way he could escape the pain of his life was by music, picking up guitar at the age of 7 and quickly rising to becoming one of the nation's biggest country artists, he now goes to Hemphmore High School where he hates it, he has kept his extreme popularity and wealth a secret from the other students in fear that they will see him differently and he is always bullied by the cooler kids.

Personality:

Playful, funny, adorable

Angry, scary, strong

The Unusual (Both, i am one of these): These rpers pick the WEIRDEST characters by far and often do pretty crazy things.

An example is my character Poff. Poff is a cheerful cat girl that has the Corrupted Beast Gauntlet (a gauntlet with 4 giant claws floating by). She only does what she wants to do and likes to have fun with her Faction's Enemy, Purity.

I also once had Poff speak directly to one of the Rpers once.

These rpers can be really fun, but too much of their craziness can get annoying

Mmmm....might be comparable to The Special Snowflake: Characters that are different and out there just for the sake of being different. More often than not are Mary Sues and fit more than one stereotype. 

Honestly, I'd rather SHOW you guys what I mean than explain it. So here you go.

(PS: This is not a real character sheet)

(PPS: Hate these characters because I see them EVERYWHERE regardless of genre or setting.)

Name:

Alex Huggins

18 (but looks 16)

Sexuality:

Pansexual, Demi-Romantic

Background:

Alex always had a tough life, his father being abusive and his mother an alcoholic. He soon found that the only way he could escape the pain of his life was by music, picking up guitar at the age of 7 and quickly rising to becoming one of the nation's biggest country artists, he now goes to Hemphmore High School where he hates it, he has kept his extreme popularity and wealth a secret from the other students in fear that they will see him differently and he is always bullied by the cooler kids.

Personality:

Playful, funny, adorable

Angry, scary, strong

HOLY SHIT , RIP YOU MADE ME THINK I POSTED THIS IN THE WRONG THREAD. 0-0

@RIPSaidCone At first, it was an interesting character, using fine arts as a hallway to a happy life away from the abuse and bad life. This seems more like a Teen book character, because of how Cliche the end of it is. To make this character decent, all we need is No Bullying and some unique, yet very decent friends

@RIPSaidCone At first, it was an interesting character, using fine arts as a hallway to a happy life away from the abuse and bad life. This seems more like a Teen book character, because of how Cliche the end of it is. To make this character decent, all we need is No Bullying and some unique, yet very decent friends

I guess but that's why I don't like them. Like if I had a dollar for every one of this kind of character that's been made I'd be a quadrillionaire by now. Everyone just takes their favorite bullied, hated and "damaged" yet attractive, nice, funny and sporty character from their favorite "best selling young adult" novel and repurpose him/her for an RP by adding a new name and appearance.

Alex Huggins should have won the character competition. 

Alex Huggins for President of RpN 2016

Here is another one!

The Blender: These people take bits and peaces of other people's characters, thrown then together then spit out a new charicter. (this one can be good or bad)

Broken Record: People who use the exact same charicter for every single RP.

Convenient Coincidence: This charicter will often avoid people or be forgotten about only to show up when he/she will be useful. Such a couple sword users are fighting a bad guy, bad guy flies away, sword users have no ranged attacks, suddenly a archer player charicter just happens to show up to shoot the flying away bad guy.

We are dateing, not really:  This charicter tells everyone that they are dating another charicter and brushes it off when corrected.

I guess but that's why I don't like them. Like if I had a dollar for every one of this kind of character that's been made I'd be a quadrillionaire by now. Everyone just takes their favorite bullied, hated and "damaged" yet attractive, nice, funny and sporty character from their favorite "best selling young adult" novel and repurpose him/her for an RP by adding a new name and appearance.

Alex Huggins for President of RpN 2016

An RP should be made where you can only use this stereotype. X3

An RP should be made where you can only use this stereotype. X3

You just described roughly 43% of all Realistic or Modern RPs on this site xD

With the rest either being teenagers in a government supersoldier program, zombie apocalypses, South korean colleges/high school RPs, foster home RPs or children of [insert fandom/fairy tale story here]

Last edited by a moderator:
You just described roughly 53% of all Realistic or Modern RPs on this site xD

With the rest either being teenagers in a government supersoldier program, zombie apocalypses, South korean colleges/high school RPs, foster home RPs or children of [insert fandom/fairy tale story here]

Mhmmmm. I can't stand child protagonists. That and what is the deal with Korean Roleplays and face claims? It was a stereotype mentioned already I believe.

Self Inserts: Self explanatory. The person makes a character based off of themselves. These are mostly if not always Mary Sues and only the positive or improved qualities of the player, and occasionally have them writing in first person with their username as their character's name if it's not already their own or what they wish it to be.

Mhmmmm. I can't stand child protagonists. That and what is the deal with Korean Roleplays and face claims? It was a stereotype mentioned already I believe.

Speaking of that...

Child Prodigy: This charicter is only a young teen but have mastered every single weapon by the age of 7 and are way more skilled then adults who been training their whole lives!

the killerer: Die Die Die!, is all these rpers think about. They can be good, but its just the fact that they will only kill and nothing else. Due to the recent Overwatch Craze, ive been seeing some rp as Reaper or characters similar to him.

The Young But Oh So Deadily: When all of their characters are usually below the age of 15, are Mary Sues in disguise (all their insane powers are concealed with a bullshit history that doesn't make sense), occasionally have some sort of cliché child appearance (eyes changing color based on mood) and their personality is basically an innocent kid in distress. Unless you piss them off. Then they somehow become an unstoppable killing machine because you stole their toy.

i generally make my characters older than 18 years, but have them merely look like they are 12-15. but i don't give them totally insane powers. i merely give them a skillset that fits their profession. which is usually some kind of Rogue or Spellcaster type. i occasionally make them a Psion or some kind of Duelist. i am extremely guilty of considering Qui (commonly localized as Ki or Chi) to be a Psionic Power.

Speaking of that...

Child Prodigy: This charicter is only a young teen but have mastered every single weapon by the age of 7 and are way more skilled then adults who been training their whole lives!

"is a child prodigy that is technically a small figured adult pretending to be a child still a child prodigy?"

Bad.

The loner obsessed with power: Their family or someone close has been murdered and so to get revenge they become obsessed with obtaining power. They don't want friends because they have to walk the path alone.

The redundant antagonist: They have no real reason to be angry, but they are and want to destroy the world for the hell of it or the antagonist that feels by destroying the world all problems will be solved.

The spurned antagonist: Long story  short, dude/dudette is in love with someone who doesn't feel the same they want to destroy everything.

Last edited by a moderator:
The military psd character who also happens to have a bunch of gear with them, absolutely stupid on the amount of people with characters like that. 

Or zombie rpers with swords, freaking stupid too

The military psd character who also happens to have a bunch of gear with them, absolutely stupid on the amount of people with characters like that. 

Or zombie rpers with swords, freaking stupid too

Military Characters should at least be suffering the consequences of PTSD. if they are carrying that much gear with them, especially weapons. i would like to know where the hell they are keeping 10 Spare Magazines for their AK-47. at the same time, what are modern Zombie Roleplayers doing with swords? if a Zombie's Saliva can infect you, so can its other bodily fluids. like blood, sweat, tears, brain juice and so on.

Military Characters should at least be suffering the consequences of PTSD. if they are carrying that much gear with them, especially weapons. i would like to know where the hell they are keeping 10 Spare Magazines for their AK-47. at the same time, what are modern Zombie Roleplayers doing with swords? if a Zombie's Saliva can infect you, so can its other bodily fluids. like blood, sweat, tears, brain juice and so on.

Thank you! But you see the thing is, everybody has to have ptsd, I mean really? A good amount of my friends are in military and are ex military and suffer nothing 

Thank you! But you see the thing is, everybody has to have ptsd, I mean really? A good amount of my friends are in military and are ex military and suffer nothing 

sorriesies. i forgot that not everybody in the military has problems with their first time taking a life for their country. that would normally be traumatic for most people.

sorriesies. i forgot that not everybody in the military has problems with their first time taking a life for their country. that would normally be traumatic for most people.

Being in the military doesn't = you being a killer. Even if you're in a combat role. Not to mention individuals process things differently and may very well be sufficiently detached from the event to not really suffer PTSD. 

You just described roughly 43% of all Realistic or Modern RPs on this site xD

Are there North Korean roleplays?

Being in the military doesn't = you being a killer. Even if you're in a combat role. Not to mention individuals process things differently and may very well be sufficiently detached from the event to not really suffer PTSD. 

sorriesies. i kind of assumed most people in the military had to kill someone else at some point during their active on-duty service. i was unaware that on-duty soldiers didn't have to kill anyone because i assumed the job required an individual to kill based on experiences with video games and the like. where soldiers are expected to kill.

Characters that are supposed to be "insane", or "sociopaths", but then act like a normal human being throughout the role-play.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back