Rper Stereotypes (and what they do)

Characters that are supposed to be "insane", or "sociopaths", but then act like a normal human being throughout the role-play.

there is no such thing as a normal human being. i mean, there are something we humans have in common, we all don our pants one leg at a time, we all drink our beverages out of containers, but outside of essentials like that which are universal, 2 human beings can be 2 completely different individuals if you talked both of them, even if they had the exact same skillset, the exact same age, exact same background, and exact same personality traits. the strengths of each thing could be different. take 2 white blonde female 23 year old interns at the same accounting firm that both came from the same city and same type of families for example, on the surface, they could appear interchangeable at first glance, but give them room to develop, and they could both end up 2 completely different individuals by the third month of their internship, despite sharing the same character sheet and similar faceclaims. even if they were exposed to all the same circumstances, their reactions could be extremely different from each other's.

because of this. a Sociopath could theoretically learn to better blend to a Society they feel they belong to by virtue of learning how to act in a way they think others perceive is normal. and acting is essentially roleplaying at its core. not that every Sociopath is normal., no human is. we are each more unique than friggin snowflakes will ever be.

Last edited by a moderator:
sorriesies. i forgot that not everybody in the military has problems with their first time taking a life for their country. that would normally be traumatic for most people.

My friends had no problem killing actually, where we come from death is normal, part of everyday life. It's rather normal for a body to show up. The faster you accept it the less it hurts, I'll admit I still get sad when someone close to me dies, but it only hurts for less than a day.

My friends had no problem killing actually, where we come from death is normal, part of everyday life. It's rather normal for a body to show up. The faster you accept it the less it hurts, I'll admit I still get sad when someone close to me dies, but it only hurts for less than a day.

Death is different from actually killing the person yourself.

It is but you're more comfortable with the fact that you have to kill

Not really. There's less shock factor, if these deaths around your area are comparatively violent, but the psychological effect of you doing it yourself is far, far, worse than just witnessing the death itself or it's aftermath.

You feel hollow when somebody close to you dies. You feel like something is gnawing your gut when you entertain the thought of killing someone.

When a loved one dies, you feel still, you try coping with the fact that they are dead, you think of them. When you actually kill someone, you examine yourself and deal with the cold horror that you've taken a life. 

We kinda off subject so....

Self Interest Personality Shifter: This role player will constantly change their character's personality to take advantage of certain events, such as a selfless charicter who is struggling with money comes across treasure and suddenly the charicter likes shiny things.

Not really. There's less shock factor, if these deaths around your area are comparatively violent, but the psychological effect of you doing it yourself is far, far, worse than just witnessing the death itself or it's aftermath.

You feel hollow when somebody close to you dies. You feel like something is gnawing your gut when you entertain the thought of killing someone.

When a loved one dies, you feel still, you try coping with the fact that they are dead, you think of them. When you actually kill someone, you examine yourself and deal with the cold horror that you've taken a life. 

Right...or I'll just go with what my friends told me who have taken more than one life during their service and were completely ok with it.

Right...or I'll just go with what my friends told me who have taken more than one life during their service and were completely ok with it.

*heavily implies your community has a high death rate, busts out the "they're former military" card against an argument addressing a presumably civilian situation*

And then you're saying that all, or a majority, of military combat personnel that have taken a life are so casual about it? I can get behind the idea that it doesn't significantly impact the rest of their lives, but it wouldn't go without some degree of internal struggle.

We kinda off subject so....

Self Interest Personality Shifter: This role player will constantly change their character's personality to take advantage of certain events, such as a selfless charicter who is struggling with money comes across treasure and suddenly the charicter likes shiny things.

That's a rather quick change, how often have you seen that

*heavily implies your community has a high death rate, busts out the "they're former military" card against an argument addressing a presumably civilian situation*

And then you're saying that all, or a majority, of military combat personnel that have taken a life are so casual about it? I can get behind the idea that it doesn't significantly impact the rest of their lives, but it wouldn't go without some degree of internal struggle.

The beginning of the conversation in its entirety was about military rp characters, im  not using my military friends to reinforce my argument, rather using the living conditions down here to reinforce the fact that not all military characters have ptsd.  

Let's not assume anyone's capacity for feeling, and get back on track.

The OOCer ::  This is the person that is constantly putting little OOC messages, in brackets, in the middle of their posts, and at the beginning or the end. Now, tagging is actually kind of common on this site, so I overlook it, but OOC chat in the IC section drives me insane, but to have it interrupt the flow of a post is beyond... horrifying.

The Mystery: This roleplayer's character will never be truly known by anyone, or anything.  The all-knowing deities of the multiverse cannot even unearth the whole truth, because for each solved mystery about this character, ten new ones pop up.  

The jet-lag: This roleplayer shows up late to every party.  He/she will post something, after the plot has moved on from the events in question. 

The Behind-the-Scenes RPer :: This one doesn't disappear from the RP necessarily, but there are curious gaps in or between their posts... but these are different to your usual timeskips... it's within these unknown spaces that their characters do, get or accomplish something significant, game-changing and inexplicable... but because nobody saw it, knew it happened or anything... it's totally set in stone, and doesn't need a reason because it 'just happened'.

The Down-on-Themselves: Follows up every post with an OOC note about how "guys, sorry, this isn't my best post." Ironically, always seems to be some of the better-written posts in the entire rp.

The Down-on-Themselves: Follows up every post with an OOC note about how "guys, sorry, this isn't my best post." Ironically, always seems to be some of the better-written posts in the entire rp.

this is me and i'm so sorry this wasn't my best post.

My least favorite is the Munchkin.

Munchkin: Also known as a power-gamer, this player plays only to win EVEN if it's not the point.  More often than not, they put in characters well outside of context just to have all the goodies to help them win.  Crafty GM's can easily squelch or repel them, but woe to the innocent bystanders.  They have little (if any) interest about the story at all and fair play is an alien concept to them.  While they often ruin it for everyone, the rare benevolent versions of the Munchkin do use their antics so that everyone can win or show flaws in their RP to the GM.  

They are called Munchkins because younger players often take that stance.  Maturity is also very questionable across all Munchkins.

The roleplayer that writes a character based off their current interests and mentions them constantly. Example: a roleplayer really likes a band so their character is a fan of that band and constantly mentions songs by that band in their posts. 

My least favorite is the Munchkin.

Munchkin: Also known as a power-gamer, this player plays only to win EVEN if it's not the point.  More often than not, they put in characters well outside of context just to have all the goodies to help them win.  Crafty GM's can easily squelch or repel them, but woe to the innocent bystanders.  They have little (if any) interest about the story at all and fair play is an alien concept to them.  While they often ruin it for everyone, the rare benevolent versions of the Munchkin do use their antics so that everyone can win or show flaws in their RP to the GM.  

They are called Munchkins because younger players often take that stance.  Maturity is also very questionable across all Munchkins.

i see i found another whom uses the Term. i remember i used to be a munchkin before i sought reform. i used to have a nasty habit of minmaxing melee clerics because melee clerics were better fighters than fighters were.

The Unblockable/Undodgeable: These combat rpers abuse the feature of having a move too heavy to physically block, or having an attack with a wide area/fast attack speed. These get annoying when you have a tanky character and cant block anything, or when you have an agile rusher type character that has rotten luck dealing with big explosives. A combination of both shows how desperate they are at winning

The Golden Voice: This guy, oh this guy. He will entice you with his voice which makes you fall asleep and then sends you to some "Dream World" where he is the God, beats you up there and boom, you're dead in the real world because logic seems to work like that. And there is no way to win against this guy, nope, unless your freaking deaf, and if you are, don't even sweat it, he has a counter to that, either because Mary Sue or Mary Sue.

This could be fit into a stereotype in general with "Dream World" and stuff, but there are so many ways to send you to this biased "Dream World" that I'd have to write a  20 sentence paragraph just to mention the ways he could send you to it, and another one for what he can do in there with you. 

The Can't Fight Honey-Senpai: Youngest in a roleplay, this defenseless scaredy cat that tries so hard to be adorable usually carries some plushy and will become a red-eyed demon child if you take it or do anything to it. He always needs somebody to defend him because unless something happened to the aforementioned plush toy, he can't fight. Nope, not at all. He thirsts for some "adorbsmance" and will force romance on some random girl, after doing so he'll out of nowhere become a badass to defend his loved one, but she'll eventually die so he can go back to being that little parasite again. Typically gets carried around by another character who has extreme potential and is all-around great, but can't live up to his potential because he adopted this adorable maggot. 

The Unblockable/Undodgeable: These combat rpers abuse the feature of having a move too heavy to physically block, or having an attack with a wide area/fast attack speed. These get annoying when you have a tanky character and cant block anything, or when you have an agile rusher type character that has rotten luck dealing with big explosives. A combination of both shows how desperate they are at winning

i remember having an Old OC who had a Psionic Power called Remote Detonation. where one could saturate a particular area with energy and proceed to detonate that energy with a mental trigger. but the character was a crazy religious fire nymph who liked burning things down, and her offensive repetoire consisted of wide area attacks that spread quickly, sundered any hopes of exploiting cover,and generally ignored the protection of armor because comparable in damage to a Rocket Launcher. but a real mage would have seen these explosions as merely a cheap trick.

i remember using her to beat people who relied on dodges. the Roblox Tier Dodgers on Aniroleplay were annoying. and i really needed something that could logically deny them a dodge. which is how i won a tournament as Pyrus, the fourth youngest of Umbrie's 5 sisters.. i essentially denied my opponents a place to run, then dropped remote detonation spam while they were cornered behind something with nowhere to dodge to. but to make the spam feel less monotonous, i used Plasma, Magma and other forms of superheated matter to further cut off enemy retreat, with a character that was healed by fire damage in general and was also capable of flight,

The Golden Voice: This guy, oh this guy. He will entice you with his voice which makes you fall asleep and then sends you to some "Dream World" where he is the God, beats you up there and boom, you're dead in the real world because logic seems to work like that. And there is no way to win against this guy, nope, unless your freaking deaf, and if you are, don't even sweat it, he has a counter to that, either because Mary Sue or Mary Sue.

Is that actually a thing? I've never seen anything like that. 

Edit: Also, is it just me or is the title of this topic a little weird? I mean, we're talking about different types of rpers, rather than about actual rper stereotypes. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back