• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Futuristic rp with my useless super anyone? (preferably a power disruptor )

SwordMaiden2845

I invented a character with a unique superpower, and want to flesh her out. basically she can stop time but during this time stop she can't move, only think and unstop time. she can do this for as long as she wants. she has grown painfully dependent upon this power

Jack Tate was late for a job he hadn't gotten yet, tall and skinny frame darting between the maze of pillars made of moving boxes, holding his bike upright as he weaved his way to the front door of his new apartment, which would be spacious as soon as he and his older brother David unpacked them. It was just himself, David, David's two-year-old daughter Nina, and Jack's six-month-old corgi Yodi.

Jack rode his bike down the concrete stairwell; it was his mountain bike back when they lived in the suburbs, where there were mountains to bike up. But just as Jack had a job he actually didn't, moving into the city was a sort of accident/coincidence. That was how his life worked. The real estate agent selling the house across the street from Jack's accidentally stuck it on his front lawn. Like that, they sold their house on a prosperous whim, and moved out to the city so Jack and Nina could go to better schools while David landed himself a better job. Yodi was just happy to go along with it, because Yodi was a puppy.

The moving situation was a comparable situation to the job Jack didn't have yet - Jack was an opportunist, a mastermind of sorts when luck fell into his hands. While he was babysitting his niece while his brother was at work, Nina had gotten her hands on his cellphone, and dialed a random number. Jack caught Nina babbling into the phone, and continued the conversation for her.

"Hello?" he asked.

"Roscoe?! Is that you? We've been trying all your contacts - where the hell have you been with that order?"

"Sorry, this isn't-" Jack inquired, trying to get Nina to stop grabbing at the phone.

"Look, I don't care. Head down to the restaurant on 9th street and get it to the firm on 17th." The woman hung up.

As Jack put the phone down, his brother entered through the apartment door. Jack handed Nina to David, running to the room meant to be his to retrieve his bike, rushing past his brother.

"Where are you going?" David called after him, bouncing Nina.

"To work," Jack answered, strapping his helmet on.

He glided through traffic as he remembered that he had seen the restaurant before, knowing where he was headed - it was an Asian fusion place with good business. He rode through the front entrance up to the register.

"I'm Jack-" he began, but a woman still working the register pulled a large paper bag from under the counter and shoved it into his chest without even looking at him, shooing him off.

Okay, then. Maybe I'll get the job after I've demonstrated that I can do it.

He flew through traffic all the way to the address attached to the receipt on the order, finding his way at a large contracting firm. He passed cubicle by cubicle until he found the office he was supposed to deliver to. The man inside was a big tipper.

Proud of himself, he walked his bike over a crosswalk to a park, which would make a good short cut back to the restaurant.

I like this. If I get this job, maybe I'll get to know the city a little better.

A bit distracted by his thoughts, he ran into someone.

SwordMaiden2845 SwordMaiden2845

Lina Rosalyn was walking down the street to get groceries, when she bumped into a man who appeared to be rushing somewhere. she tried to timestop to burn off her surprise and calm down. then she saw a car whiz past and realized it had not worked. she tried again, and nothing happened. she realized she was just standing there awkwardy. "uh- hi" she said "where are you going?"

"Oh, sorry about that." Jack said. The girl he had run into was a bit bewildered by him, which wasn't odd after he had nearly knocked her over where she stood, but her surprised expression lingered, as well as the silence between them, too long for Jack to find it normal. It was odd instead. She finally acknowledged him, albeit a bit awkwardly.

"I'm heading to that restaurant off of main street, on 9th." He answered. "How about you; you need help getting there? Not that I can tell you where it is, but if it's the same way, I could tag along if you want." Jack offered, trying to ease the awkwardness. It would give him a chance to learn where another thing was in the city, and then maybe get to know someone. The girl looked about the same age as he was.

the man apologised, and said he was going to the restaurant on 9th. "sure, I'm going there too" she said, without thinking, just trying to relieve the awkwardness. crap she thought well, I have to now.

"That's...convenient." he told her. It's also really coincidental, he thought. "I'm Jack," he said, introducing himself with a little nod at her; his hands were still on the handles of his bike, and it didn't have a stand so he could shake her hand. She was markedly shorter than him, with an impish pin-pricked nose that really didn't match her shy demeanor, and he caught a glimpse of her green eyes under her short brown hair.

"i'm lee" lee said, looking at jack suspiciously. was he the reason her power didn't work? did he know that? he was taller than her, but then, most people were. his curly platinum blonde hair was a stark contrast to the dark brown of his eyebrows. his grey eyes were widened in confusion. he didn't look like the source of problems, but looks could be deceptive.

Jack was sort of taken aback by 'Lee', sure it was short for something, and that she seemed to be suspicious of him for something, though they just met.

"Uh, so Lee, you go to school around here?" He asked; he just looked at the road instead of her.

"no, not- not around here. why?" lina asked, looking at jack, and starting to stutter a little from the stress of having barely seconds to think about what she was saying

"Oh, just wanted to fill the silence. I'm starting my senior year here." Jack answered. Maybe the silence was better. They reached the restaurant, as Jack held the entrance door open for her.

lina walked through the door, trying to think quickly, a thing she hadnt had to do ever before in her life. "so, uh- jack. what do you think about people with powers?"

"Well I've never met a person with powers before." That was a little out of the blue. "I think if I met one, the whole power thing would be cool, but to me, it would depend on who they were as a person themselves, I guess." Jack shrugged as Lee passed him. "How about you? Have you met a person with powers before?" He followed her inside with his bike.

"uh- no, I- I havent yet" lee said. clearly this man didn't know. then something occured to her. what if he made other peoples powers not work too? would he appreciate her telling him? what if he needed a superhero to save him? She was not qualified to think this quickly. How did other people manage it? "but uh, I think you might have one." she blurted. why do I keep saying things like that? she thought. talking by instinct sucks.

Jack huffed an airy laugh, finally his turn to be surprised. She really was odd. At first he thought she wanted nothing to do with him, but now it seemed that she was oddly interested in him.

"I think you've got the wrong guy, Lee." He chuckled, grinning at her. "Give me a sec." He walked up to the register a negotiated a delivery job with the woman in charge. He celebrated his employment, bringing back two sodas and two complementary fortune cookies. He handed a cup to Lee and gestured for her to sit down with him.

"Sorry for bumping into you earlier," he explained, sliding the extra fortune cookie across the table for her. He opened his own.

Someone has come to tell you the truth. Listen. It read.

lee watched jack laugh at her. why hadn't she just left? she didn't know. she sipped at the soda and tried to gather her nonexistent confidence. "well, uh. I- I think you block - block powers. y- you block mine." lee is shaking now, scared and nervous, having never bothered to learn to calm herself down without stopping time for as long as it took. she has no coping strategies whatsoever. "I-I should go." she said, getting up.

"Wait-what?" Jack asked hurriedly as Lee was getting up. "Wait a sec," he called after her, prepared to follow her. "What do you mean I block your powers? Your -" he hesitated, "powers...?" He stood up with her. "Lee, what's going on?" He was entirely serious now.

lee cursed herself internally. he would never leave her alone now until she explained. she kept walking a bit, rehearsing what she would say in her head. Lee turned to face him "yes, I have powers. I need them. they help me cope with life. I just wanted to let you know you block my, and likely other peoples powers. You might need to know someday."

Well he knew now.

"So I have powers - and they block yours." He sighed in frustration at the news, furrowing his brow. "This is insane. I'm going insane. I have no idea what you're talking about. I get it if you want me to leave you alone, but you don't have to make a big deal out of this."

Jack knew about people with powers but he also knew he wasn't one of them. He lived his entire life like anyone else. Nothing out of the ordinary. Nothing out of place.

So why was this happening now?

lee looked at him. "y-yes. thats about right. I- I just was letting you know. I guess I would prefer it if you left me alone but... I dont know. I cant make decisions this quickly"

Jack looked at her bewildered.

"I think it's too late for that now." Jack sighed; she was the one that laid a huge truth bomb on him - what was he supposed to do with that? He could just keep living his life and wait till someone busts down his door to call him out. "How am I supposed to live like this? How do you live like this?" They were rhetorical. Jack was observant enough to notice that Lee was absolutely fumbling without her 'coping' power.

He finally gave her a real question.

"What's your power then?"

"oh- uh. it's complicated." lee stammered, worried at his statement that it was "too late". "I can kinda- stop time for my mind. not my body. I can decide what to say and- and stuff, and take as long as I want doing it. when I'm around you I- I have to make decisions like that in basically seconds. seconds! how do you live like this? "

"Like everyone else does." Jack answered. Something tells me she's overly dependent on her powers. "Look," Jack began. "I'll cut you a deal. If you tell me about how to deal with this, I'll teach you about rapid response mechanisms. Until I learn how to control this so that people with powers don't keep coming up to me like you did, I'm sticking around."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back