Viewpoint RP Story Arcs

Onmyoji

HanGuang-Jun
Administrator
Supporter
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Just a little discussion thread about plotting approaches in roleplays.

What do you think about plotting for a roleplay, where you have a big overarching plot, but then focus your rp on smaller story arcs / chapters / short episodes, which contribute to the main plot but each of them has its own beginning, progress and ending. Or some of them may not contribute to the main plot, but are sort of 'fillers' like in long shows, just for fun.

As I'm a 1x1 roleplayer, I will mostly refer to my experience with 1x1, but I've seen this approach in groups as well with moderate success.
I feel like it works well for 1x1. Firstly, it gives you the sense of completion. Even if the 'man long rp' is not completed yet, completing a story arc feels good!
It can also serve as a 'trial period' with a new rp partner. Before investing in a longer story that may never happen, start with a 'prologue' of sorts, or a short episode where you both get to know each other and the characters. And if it goes well, move on to something on a bigger scale (or drop right there if it doesn't).

I'm just curious how many of you also use this approach to rp planning, and if you do - what you like and don't like about it? Was it successful when you tried it?

I mostly did that when I ran groups and it worked phenomenally. It allowed new people to join at any point without needing to know the entire plot of the roleplay. You just filled them in on the current scene and let them jump in.

For groups I usually do sandbox mode. So the purpose is for the characters to explore the world (original or AU) or complete personal growth (fandoms).

When I roleplayed, I became a god and took on the most powerful beings alone.
That is the fun part of war.

As someone who loves planning, this is almost my default approach to the way I structure my own writing, and I love it when I can apply it to the RP as a whole (though to do that I need to have a partner that is willing to engaging on planning at that level at least). When doing it on my own, I tend to look at character writing framed within the current character arc, including key events and character moments that might occur to them when it is opportune, and considering what kind of path I want to take the character until that path is complete. Naturally, if it's just by myself in a group setting I will need to be less specific in a lot of it, but my approach to character creation and post-by-post writing is made with enabling those things in mind, creating a path for me to go through with my plans in a way that will fit the RP and be satisfying. There are cases where this didn't quite work out, but many of those were cases were the cause was linked to something I would consider mismanagement of the roleplay, such as the GM allowing sock puppet characters whose personality and skills shifted to whatever the player felt like and whose abilities were so broken and versatile as to make pointless the presence of certain portions of the cast, including my own character. I do have back-up plans for when stuff like that happens, but it can still be frustrating.

On the other hand, if I have the leeway to influence the RP itself in an arc format (such as by being the GM or having a cooperative partner), then I will apply this thinking of arcs. While I don't do this explicitly most of the time, I do tend to actively focus on "what this segment of the story is about, what are the main events/themes/antagonists/conflicts within it". I think of what is needed for the set up, and what I want to see in the conclusion, and the crucial elements in between as well as how the characters might interact with all of that. Furthermore, I consider how each arc connects to one another. Even in those of more episodic nature, I tend to like to have one arc logically and organically lead into the next, and to have set up in previous arcs for later ones. The story is one of segmented focus but a connected narrative thread.

I have found this later kind of RP (with were among my fun and fulfilling RP experiences, specifically the 1x1s with partners willing to do the planning necessary to implement something like this. Admittedly though, my enjoyment is more correlated with than caused by the use of arcs, as the planning itself as well as the personalities, attitudes, writing and interests of these particular partners greatly contributed to the enjoyment and our collective passion for what we were / are doing.

On the negative side, because my thinking is so long-term it's actually rare that I get to see even smaller arcs to completion, let alone anything more major. Unfortunately even though longer posts also tend to have more content, the slower posting pace I prefer with my partners alongside the demanding nature of those longer posts makes the RPs all the more vulnerable to dying to IRL circumstances. In other words, my way of thinking and writing, particular in terms of arcs, is meant to create a great long-term narrative, but often fails to because the RP dies before I can actually get to the long-term.

I have wanted to try this concept but I termed it one shot to other players but maybe I can try phrasing it as a story arc / chapter / episode instead. But still, most writers on here want long term games. Right now though I just can’t invest in another long term RP.

Kinda funny this thread was made because I’m drafting up OC concepts for cosmic horror that I will post a want ad for probably in the summer. I’ve got 3 concepts so far that I want to explore but not fully invest in with the request that they be short term RPs only with the possibility of long term.

But the idea of temp/mini gaming is appealing for character/concept study and inspiration for a 1x1 and it would be cool to be able to guest star in group roleplays but these are bizarre ideas at the moment. It would be cool if they caught on though.

Last edited:
On the negative side, because my thinking is so long-term it's actually rare that I get to see even smaller arcs to completion, let alone anything more major.
I feel that 💯 lol Even planning in chapters doesn't save the rp from flopping before you even complete one!

I love planning too and sometimes get overboard with it XD
But in some roleplays I did those chapters worked wonders!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back